PDA

View Full Version : Trade talk from rotoworld.com

Iguana775
06-07-2004, 08:55 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/story.asp?sport=MLB&storyid=3401

Carlos Beltran - OF Royals - The prize. There’s a slight chance that a bigger name could be traded, but Beltran is the best player that’s likely to be dealt in July. Only if his teammates have a big June and put the Royals back into contention will Beltran be kept. There isn’t a team in baseball that couldn’t use Beltran, but since there’s very little chance that he’ll sign an extension and forego free agency, there probably won’t be too many serious bidders. Here’s a look at some of the possibilities:

Padres: Josh Barfield, Dennis Tankersley, Xavier Nady

Yankees: Dioner Navarro, Eric Duncan, Alex Graman

Athletics: Joe Blanton, Bobby Kielty

Dodgers: Edwin Jackson, Koyie Hill

Red Sox: Kevin Youkilis, Kelly Shoppach, Jon Lester

Cubs: Corey Patterson

Phillies: Marlon Byrd, Ryan Howard

White Sox: Neal Cotts, Joe Borchard, Jon Rauch

Mets: Justin Huber, Matt Peterson, Royce Ring

If the Padres decide they want Beltran, they’ll become the favorites. The only problem would be if the Royals insist on Sean Burroughs, who shouldn’t be on the table. The Yankees can’t give the Royals the major league-ready prospects they desire, but they could take a bad contract, most likely Brian Anderson’s. The A’s and Dodgers can both try to put packages together without including their top pitching prospects, but in order for that to work, they’d have to hope the Padres stay out of the bidding. The Red Sox are capable of matching the offers of the other teams, but the better bet is that they’ll sit this one out and go after a pitcher.

The rest of the teams are all longshots. The Cubs and Phillies might want to upgrade in center field for the stretch run, but neither is frustrated enough to make the move yet. The WhiteSox work from the disadvantage of being in the same division as the Royals. The Mets would be better off making a run at Beltran once he becomes a free agent.

Kris Benson - RHP Pirates - GM Dave Littlefield probably would have done better had he traded Benson in the preseason. The right-hander has been a major disappointment so far, but since he is throwing in the mid-90s, someone will take a chance on him. There isn’t a pitching coach in baseball who wouldn’t like a chance to show Benson what he’s doing wrong. How he performs over the next month will determine whether it’s the Yankees or Red Sox or the next level of teams (WhiteSox, Rangers, Giants, Twins) that take the plunge.

Jeromy Burnitz - OF Rockies - The Rockies should trade Burnitz, Vinny Castilla and Royce Clayton while their values are at their high points, but Burnitz seems to be the only one who is particularly likely to go. With 15 home runs and 44 RBI already, Burnitz might be the No. 2 outfielder available, and since he doesn’t make much ($1.5 million this year, $3 million mutual option in 2005), the Rockies should get something substantial for him. Both the Braves and Cardinals have openings in left field, and the WhiteSox could use him as a center fielder.

Freddy Garcia - RHP Mariners - Garcia is the top starting pitcher sure to be available in trade talks. Since the Mariners currently have one of the worst records in baseball, there’s a real chance that he’ll be dealt before the month is out. The odds favor Garcia staying in the AL, with the WhiteSox, Red Sox, Yankees and Twins expected to be the strongest suitors. The WhiteSox have no shortage of young pitching to trade, but they lack the infield and catching prospects that the Mariners need most. Still, an offer of Neal Cotts and one of the team’s top four outfield prospects (Jeremy Reed, Joe Borchard, Ryan Sweeney and Brian Anderson) could get a deal done. The Red Sox might be able to get Garcia in exchange for Kevin Youkilis. In addition to Garcia, it’s likely that the Mariners will also consider parting with either Gil Meche or Ryan Franklin.

Eddie Guardado - LHP Mariners - If the Mariners make Guardado available, just about every contender will be interested, even the ones that are perfectly content with their closers. The Cubs, WhiteSox, Red Sox, A’s, Marlins and Giants could all use someone to help out in the eighth or ninth innings. Since he’s signed at less than market value, the Mariners could get more for Guardado than either Garcia or Boone. The Cubs could afford to part with a couple of quality young pitchers (Andy Sisco and Chadd Blasko?) and either Jason Dubois or David Kelton.

Kenny Lofton - OF Yankees - They shouldn’t get anything in return, but the Yankees might find a taker for Lofton’s contract if they decide he’s too much of a distraction to keep. The WhiteSox, Cardinals and Cubs would be possible fits. The WhiteSox are the contender most in need of a center fielder. The Cards would have to use him in left field. The Cubs had Lofton fill in for an injured Corey Patterson last year and could let the two battle for playing time over the final two months.

Mike Maroth - LHP Tigers - The Tigers would be perfectly content to keep Maroth around since he has turned into the team’s most consistent starter, but they probably will field a couple of offers for him next month. The Reds, Twins, Rangers, WhiteSox, Padres and Giants could all use another solid innings-eater, and Maroth makes only a little more than the minimum, putting him in every team’s price range.

If somehow the sox can get Garcia an Everyday Eddie, I would be extactic! lol. maybe that should be in deep pink.

MRKARNO
06-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Once Maggs gets back and Crede inevitably picks it up there will be no need for a center fielder. And I think Maroth could be a very last resort at best. Garcia is obviously legit, but I dont think we're going to get a reliever as good as Guardado. Benson doesnt help us if we're in a win now mode really.

Iguana775
06-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Once Maggs gets back and Crede inevitably picks it up there will be no need for a center fielder. And I think Maroth could be a very last resort at best. Garcia is obviously legit, but I dont think we're going to get a reliever as good as Guardado. Benson doesnt help us if we're in a win now mode really.

Koch and Rowand for Guardado?

soltrain21
06-07-2004, 09:17 PM
How is us being in KC's division a disadvantage? We get a rent a player for a year that they are out of it and they get some of our better prospects, taking away from our future..

You would think they would want to trade with us.

Jjav829
06-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
How is us being in KC's division a disadvantage? We get a rent a player for a year that they are out of it and they get some of our better prospects, taking away from our future..

Because there is a still an outside chance that we could sign him. If the Sox decided to let Maggs walk and re-sign Beltran, KC would have to worry about facing him 19 times a year which they won't want. Sure the odds aren't great, but there is always a chance. If we don't sign him, then we'd receive two high picks in exchange. Either way, it doesn't work out too well for the Royals unless they felt the package of prospects we were offering was just way too good to pass up.

CWSGuy406
06-07-2004, 09:24 PM
IMO it shouldn't take a Borchard/Reed/Anderson/Sweeney to get Garcia. He's a three month rent-a-player, regardless of whether we resign him or not at this point.

IMO Borchard isn't done, at some point he's going to make some noise again and at worst be a high-power major league OFer.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
IMO it shouldn't take a Borchard/Reed/Anderson/Sweeney to get Garcia. He's a three month rent-a-player, regardless of whether we resign him or not at this point.

people have GOT to realize this isn't a seller's market. If the Sox are willing to take on some or all of the salary, they will have to give up minimal talent. JR has supposedly approved a slight budget increase, which would allow them to fit most/all of half a year of a guy like Garcia under the budget and not have to give up near as much as they did last year when the sox couldn't take on $$$ and had to give up some decent prospects for rent-a-players.

faneidde
06-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Jeromy Burnitz in center field? Why don't we just put Konerko out there. They'd cover the same amount of ground.

Philo-Sox-er
06-07-2004, 09:40 PM
We need pitching, not a center fielder. And I agree, we should not give up much in talent and instead take on the dollars as these players are going to walk anyway.

mjmcend
06-07-2004, 09:44 PM
I would rather see Konerko in CF than Lofton, I can't stand that guy and I don't see him giving us that much of an advantage over Rowand

DickAllen72
06-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21

My thoughts exactly!

batmanZoSo
06-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/story.asp?sport=MLB&storyid=3401

If somehow the sox can get Garcia an Everyday Eddie, I would be extactic! lol. maybe that should be in deep pink.

I think we need Garcia, Guardado and Lofton. The latter is almost guaranteed to be a big spark plug for a short period of time as soon as he gets to his new team. He was with us, he was with the cubs from July through the playoffs. He could do the same for us. Why not try it?

JoseCanseco6969
06-08-2004, 12:20 AM
NO LOFTON!!! I REPEAT NO LOFTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RichFitztightly
06-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by JoseCanseco6969
NO LOFTON!!! I REPEAT NO LOFTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, no kiddin. We got Harris and Uribe as superior fast guys with little power. And both are better than Lofton is now.

jabrch
06-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by faneidde
Jeromy Burnitz in center field? Why don't we just put Konerko out there. They'd cover the same amount of ground.

Burnitz is an above average CF. He has been playing there almost all season this year with Wilson being out. And Colorado's OF is much more spacious than ours. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

OurBitchinMinny
06-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by mjmcend
I would rather see Konerko in CF than Lofton, I can't stand that guy and I don't see him giving us that much of an advantage over Rowand

Lofton only sucks a little....Rowand sucks a real lot

mdep524
06-08-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Burnitz is an above average CF. He has been playing there almost all season this year with Wilson being out. And Colorado's OF is much more spacious than ours. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Have you seen his home vs. road splits? Unless the Sox are slated for a 20-game road trip to Colorado, I'll pass on Burnitz thank you.