PDA

View Full Version : A new week


PaleHoseGeorge
06-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Just a few thoughts only loosely tied together for consideration.

1.) Baseball is NOT the NFL.
The way some of you start hyperventilating over every win and every loss is very strange. There are 162 games in a schedule and nothing -- NOTHING -- that happens in any single game determines the entire season.

2.) There is no clock in baseball.
Baseball "time" is measured in outs, not minutes. Not even a ninth inning lead is close to safe because outs (unlike minutes) can't be measured in time. You can't sit on your lead and play it safe like they do in practically every other team sport. That's what makes watching baseball exciting, at least for those intelligent enough to grasp the concept.

3.) Closers blow leads.
They all do it. Of course some blow more leads than others, but there aren't 30 quality closers in MLB either. It would be nice to have a quality closer, but I would much rather have a quality home run hitter or a quality starting pitcher. They're far more valuable.

4.) It's June and we're (still) in first place.
I'm a bit surprised we're in first place and I'm rather enjoying it for this very reason. I have no idea if we'll win the division but I know with 100 percent certainty that what this ballclub does over the next 2-1/2 months matters infinitely more than what Billy Koch did last night.

Get over it. Thank you.

delben91
06-07-2004, 08:23 PM
^ POTW

Palehose13
06-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the great post George!

I really like this:
That's what makes watching baseball exciting, at least for those intelligent enough to grasp the concept.
IMHO, if someone thinks that baseball is boring, they just don't get it.

OzzieBall2004
06-07-2004, 08:37 PM
I think everyone would agree that we would have won more than one game on this 5 game trip had Magglio been in the lineup, and the reason is simple. 79 runners were left on base. of those 79, 28 were left on base by the 3-4-5 hitters. All of the games we lost were winnable even though we never scored more than 4, and we didnt lose one by more than 2 runs. We just missed too many opportunities for big hits, and that had a lot to do with our proven 100 RBI guy being out. We need him back, and in the meantime, we need everyone to step up. Crede has to pick his average up, Juan needs to get back to hitting the ball like he did in May, and despite a wonderful hitting streak, Carlos needs to get his power back so we can generate more runs from the top of the order getting on base.

BTW, Miles was 3-4, with 2 2B,2 R, a walk today, and is hitting .298. reminds me of the Juan of May. I know he'll rebound, but lets not act like the deal was an absolute heist.

fquaye149
06-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by OzzieBall2004


BTW, Miles was 3-4, with 2 2B,2 R, a walk today, and is hitting .298. reminds me of the Juan of May. I know he'll rebound, but lets not act like the deal was an absolute heist.

:troll:

gosox41
06-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Just a few thoughts only loosely tied together for consideration.

1.) Baseball is NOT the NFL.
The way some of you start hyperventilating over every win and every loss is very strange. There are 162 games in a schedule and nothing -- NOTHING -- that happens in any single game determines the entire season.

2.) There is no clock in baseball.
Baseball "time" is measured in outs, not minutes. Not even a ninth inning lead is close to safe because outs (unlike minutes) can't be measured in time. You can't sit on your lead and play it safe like they do in practically every other team sport. That's what makes watching baseball exciting, at least for those intelligent enough to grasp the concept.

3.) Closers blow leads.
They all do it. Of course some blow more leads than others, but there aren't 30 quality closers in MLB either. It would be nice to have a quality closer, but I would much rather have a quality home run hitter or a quality starting pitcher. They're far more valuable.

4.) It's June and we're (still) in first place.
I'm a bit surprised we're in first place and I'm rather enjoying it for this very reason. I have no idea if we'll win the division but I know with 100 percent certainty that what this ballclub does over the next 2-1/2 months matters infinitely more than what Billy Koch did last night.

Get over it. Thank you.

1. But every game counts. We were all kicking ourselves at the end of last season with all the games we blew to the lifeless Tigers.

3. Billy Koch is best serves as a mop up man.

4. I'll get ripped on again, but with even an average closer and a true #5 starter (ie one who has a 5-5.25 ERA and pitches 5-6 IP per start) and this team can have a 5-6 game lead. While they're would still be doubters if this team were undefeated, KW doesn't have to be in the position of overpaying to fill the team's holes.


Bob

Hondo
06-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
:troll:

Can we chill out with the troll labeling. He had an informative post with OMG a dissenting opinion.


Thanks for the post PHG. But we do put the fan in fanatic so overreaction and hyperbole come with the territory.

That being said well written.

nasox
06-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Get over it. Thank you.

.....And now you know the rest of the story..... :D:

Randar68
06-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Just a few thoughts only loosely tied together for consideration.

1.) Baseball is NOT the NFL.
The way some of you start hyperventilating over every win and every loss is very strange. There are 162 games in a schedule and nothing -- NOTHING -- that happens in any single game determines the entire season.

2.) There is no clock in baseball.
Baseball "time" is measured in outs, not minutes. Not even a ninth inning lead is close to safe because outs (unlike minutes) can't be measured in time. You can't sit on your lead and play it safe like they do in practically every other team sport. That's what makes watching baseball exciting, at least for those intelligent enough to grasp the concept.

3.) Closers blow leads.
They all do it. Of course some blow more leads than others, but there aren't 30 quality closers in MLB either. It would be nice to have a quality closer, but I would much rather have a quality home run hitter or a quality starting pitcher. They're far more valuable.

4.) It's June and we're (still) in first place.
I'm a bit surprised we're in first place and I'm rather enjoying it for this very reason. I have no idea if we'll win the division but I know with 100 percent certainty that what this ballclub does over the next 2-1/2 months matters infinitely more than what Billy Koch did last night.

Get over it. Thank you.

You forgot #5:

This is not the NFL draft. Players take years to develop and reach the majors, that is the norm and that is expected. When player A doesn't reach AAA in one year, keep your panties on.

WhiteSox = Life
06-07-2004, 11:04 PM
I completely agree and tried to lighten the mood a little. It's upsetting, but earlier today, I was feeling pretty well.

Regarding the thread title: Yeah, but didn't Sunday technically start the new week?

:: runs to avoid thrown garbage ::

MRKARNO
06-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

Regarding the thread title: Yeah, but didn't Sunday technically start the new week?


Not when there's never an off day on Sunday and there's usually an off day on Monday, more often than any other day.

fquaye149
06-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Can we chill out with the troll labeling. He had an informative post with OMG a dissenting opinion.




i have never labeled someone a troll before and nothing about his post bothered me except the aaron miles reference.


Either he hasn't bothered thinking about the fact that royce clayton is hitting around .300 in rockiesville or so on or he's trying to stir up crap.


Personally i'd rather be accused of the latter than to be accused of not grasping the fact that colorado is not a good indication.

Even if Uribe and Miles end up hitting the same at years end the trade can't be considered anything but a steal as Uribe plays far superior defense, is not playing in colorado, and has a future with this club unlike Miles. Add in the fact that Uribe is 3 years younger and a post claiming that because miles is hitting .298 (about 20 pt.s below juan) in like 30 games in colorado the trade wasn't brilliant and I get a little suspicious.

MRKARNO
06-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
i have never labeled someone a troll before and nothing about his post bothered me except the aaron miles reference.


Either he hasn't bothered thinking about the fact that royce clayton is hitting around .300 in rockiesville or so on or he's trying to stir up crap.


Personally i'd rather be accused of the latter than to be accused of not grasping the fact that colorado is not a good indication.

Even if Uribe and Miles end up hitting the same at years end the trade can't be considered anything but a steal as Uribe plays far superior defense, is not playing in colorado, and has a future with this club unlike Miles. Add in the fact that Uribe is 3 years younger and a post claiming that because miles is hitting .298 (about 20 pt.s below juan) in like 30 games in colorado the trade wasn't brilliant and I get a little suspicious.

Key Words: In Colorado. Where exactly do the Rockies play again?? Coors Field. The place where ANYONE can hit, even the Aaron Mileses and Royce Claytons of the world. Clayton's road OPS is .675, which is awful. At home it's 1.020, which is awesome, but a result of Coors. To be fair Miles has hit about the same average-wise home and road, but his OPS is only .679 on the road! Those are both really pathetic. They aren't good players and we absolutely destroyed the Rockies on that trade. If the Sox played at Coors, Uribe probably would be hitting .380 right now. Combine a huge outfield with a ball that carries about 20 feet further than most other parks and you've got a park that any AAAA player can hit in.

WhiteSox = Life
06-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Not when there's never an off day on Sunday and there's usually an off day on Monday, more often than any other day.

Bravo.

:: clap, clap, clap ::

bigdommer
06-07-2004, 11:41 PM
I don't even pay attention to Miles' numbers because he is in Coors. I might hit .298 in Coors.

Also, Uribe has a cannon...end of discussion...can't compare the two.

Hondo
06-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
i have never labeled someone a troll before and nothing about his post bothered me except the aaron miles reference.


Either he hasn't bothered thinking about the fact that royce clayton is hitting around .300 in rockiesville or so on or he's trying to stir up crap.


Personally i'd rather be accused of the latter than to be accused of not grasping the fact that colorado is not a good indication.

Even if Uribe and Miles end up hitting the same at years end the trade can't be considered anything but a steal as Uribe plays far superior defense, is not playing in colorado, and has a future with this club unlike Miles. Add in the fact that Uribe is 3 years younger and a post claiming that because miles is hitting .298 (about 20 pt.s below juan) in like 30 games in colorado the trade wasn't brilliant and I get a little suspicious.

I agree that Coors Field isn't a good indicator. I'd much rather have Juan than Miles myself. Uribe can play the entire infield sans catcher.

Palehose13
06-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Did my sig bring this all on? :o:

Jerko
06-07-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Did my sig bring this all on? :o:

No, somebody saw that Aaron Miles had a good game tonight and posted his stats and said that the Uribe deal wasn't as one-sided as we all thought a few weeks ago.

Palehose13
06-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
No, somebody saw that Aaron Miles had a good game tonight and posted his stats and said that the Uribe deal wasn't as one-sided as we all thought a few weeks ago.

Well hell, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then!

mendozaln
06-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Get over it. Thank you.

Everything you say is true, but the timing makes me wonder who this is directed at. Some fans go overboard, say they're done with the Sox after a hard loss like Sunday's. That seems to me to be clearly too strong of a reaction. But how can you get over a loss like that in one day? The whole allure of following a team is drama, knowing that those feelings (good and bad) will stick with you. I don't want to "get over" the 1983 clincher, and that means that I can't get over the worst moments either (Sunday's 9th inning, or Tampa Bay last year, or the Sox threatening to move to Florida). You just get invested. So what's wrong with being frustrated?

pudge
06-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by mendozaln
You just get invested. So what's wrong with being frustrated?

Yeah, the whole dynamic of this board is pretty interesting. The people who try to calm everyone down are just as silly as the people who go overboard to begin with. ;)

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by mendozaln
Everything you say is true, but the timing makes me wonder who this is directed at. Some fans go overboard, say they're done with the Sox after a hard loss like Sunday's. That seems to me to be clearly too strong of a reaction. But how can you get over a loss like that in one day? The whole allure of following a team is drama, knowing that those feelings (good and bad) will stick with you. I don't want to "get over" the 1983 clincher, and that means that I can't get over the worst moments either (Sunday's 9th inning, or Tampa Bay last year, or the Sox threatening to move to Florida). You just get invested. So what's wrong with being frustrated?

Well obviously you're entitled to your opinion, same as me and everyone else on this board. Don't begrudge me the same opportunity to speak up that you would afford anyone else.

As for being unwilling to "get over it," I can only remind you that no matter how devastating any defeat might appear to you, baseball players (and I think fans, too) must prepare for the next game. I shouldn't need to remind you that the next game nearly always comes the very next day, and if it wasn't for the stupidity of Selig and the commissioner's office, the Sox wouldn't have been given 3 days off in the space of one week (including Memorial Day!) to allow the Sox and Sox Fans to ruminate over a pair of tough defeats.

Finally, you're absolutely entitled to not want to "get over" the 1983 clincher or any other moment in Sox history. The fact is *NOTHING* was decided by the road trip the Sox just completed and the matter is to be resolved by the games still left to be played. That's over 2-1/2 months worth of games, for those of you keeping track.

That's the essential difference between reaching for outrageous hyperbole over Sunday night's loss vs. everything that ever came before it. Koch's blown save means NOTHING compared to what remains to be played of this season, a concept I'm pretty sure even gosox41 can understand.

Hangar18
06-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Just a few thoughts only loosely tied together for consideration.

3.) Closers blow leads.
They all do it.

Get over it. Thank you.

Then why do I Still Feel Disgusted ........ ? That being said,
probably good to read a thread like this and not get so worked up. I swear though, driving to work this morning, I was STILL
feeling that knot in my stomach from Sunday. Havnt been this Disgusted since ........... last July! :angry:
lets win 6 straight ........... that will change some feelings around here :smile:

FarWestChicago
06-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Yeah, the whole dynamic of this board is pretty interesting. The people who try to calm everyone down are just as silly as the people who go overboard to begin with. ;) No, they aren't.

mendozaln
06-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I shouldn't need to remind you that the next game nearly always comes the very next day...

That's the essential difference between reaching for outrageous hyperbole over Sunday night's loss vs. everything that ever came before it. Koch's blown save means NOTHING compared to what remains to be played of this season, a concept I'm pretty sure even gosox41 can understand.

I'm not begrudging you anything, I was just asking who this was aimed at.

But you know and I know and everyone on the board knows that it's just hyperbole, that "I am done with the Sox, they are dead to me, as dead as Billy Koch's arm! [spit on the floor in disgust]" doesn't mean anything as serious as that. Usually it just means "I'm going to keep watching the games, but I'll complain for a week." Not a big deal. Next time we sweep the Twins they'll be buying plane tickets for the Sox-Yanks ALCS.

Btw, thanks for the heads-up on baseball almost every day. What'll they think of next? Seriously, I wasn't taking shots, so please spare me the sanctimony.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by mendozaln
....Btw, thanks for the heads-up on baseball almost every day. What'll they think of next? Seriously, I wasn't taking shots, so please spare me the sanctimony.

Well here's a novel thought: spare me the sanctimonious response when I call you out for writing something so obviously off-base as this:

That seems to me to be clearly too strong of a reaction. But how can you get over a loss like that in one day?

You do remember writing this, don't you? You writing it is the only reason I bothered to note you *HAVE TO* to get over it in one day -- or suffer the consequences by dropping a bunch more games because you're still contemplating your navel over the big, bad loss that wouldn't have meant jack if you had taken care of business in all the games you allowed yourself to drop.

It's baseball. We don't spend 6 days in between games talking about who is being brought up from injured reserve and who is taking all the snaps behind center.

mendozaln
06-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
You do remember writing this, don't you? You writing it is the only reason I bothered to note you *HAVE TO* to get over it in one day -- or suffer the consequences by dropping a bunch more games because you're still contemplating your navel over the big, bad loss that wouldn't have meant jack if you had taken care of business in all the games you allowed yourself to drop.

It's baseball. We don't spend 6 days in between games talking about who is being brought up from injured reserve and who is taking all the snaps behind center.

Sorry, I didn't think I personally had the ability to drop games. Silly me, I thought the PLAYERS did that, and as a fan I had the leisure to choose whether or not to...contemplate my navel. (Who does that???) I promise to eat my Wheaties from this point forward.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by mendozaln
Sorry, I didn't think I personally had the ability to drop games. Silly me, I thought the PLAYERS did that, and as a fan I had the leisure to choose whether or not to...contemplate my navel. (Who does that???) I promise to eat my Wheaties from this point forward.

Good for you. Just watch your carb intake. :smile:

We spend a lot of time around here talking about what makes us more intelligent than most other baseball fans. Railing about one silly loss as though it were Armageddon sort of undercuts that entire premise.

For the record you're entitled to write whatever you want. Just please don't get upset when others disagree with or poke holes in what you've written. They're entitled to write whatever they want, too.

Win1ForMe
06-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Yeah, the whole dynamic of this board is pretty interesting. The people who try to calm everyone down are just as silly as the people who go overboard to begin with. ;)

There's your POTW.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
There's your POTW.

If your point is that Sox Fans are nothing but blathering idiots, I would agree it's POTW material.

I don't.

mendozaln
06-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
For the record you're entitled to write whatever you want. Just please don't get upset when others disagree with or poke holes in what you've written. They're entitled to write whatever they want, too.

And for the record, I wasn't at all upset with anything until the 'shouldn't have to remind you that there's a game nearly every day' comment. I have no desire to get into a thing (I mean, it was a pretty slight disagreement originally), as long as I don't get any snarky remarks like that. As for the "poke holes" comment, still waiting.

Dadawg_77
06-08-2004, 11:28 AM
A new week means new opportunities for the Sox to wins some games.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
A new week means new opportunities for the Sox to wins some games.

You're a good Sox Fan. Be fruitful and multiply. :smile:

dpbyron
06-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Just a few thoughts only loosely tied together for consideration.

1.) Baseball is NOT the NFL.
The way some of you start hyperventilating over every win and every loss is very strange. There are 162 games in a schedule and nothing -- NOTHING -- that happens in any single game determines the entire season.

2.) There is no clock in baseball.
Baseball "time" is measured in outs, not minutes. Not even a ninth inning lead is close to safe because outs (unlike minutes) can't be measured in time. You can't sit on your lead and play it safe like they do in practically every other team sport. That's what makes watching baseball exciting, at least for those intelligent enough to grasp the concept.

3.) Closers blow leads.
They all do it. Of course some blow more leads than others, but there aren't 30 quality closers in MLB either. It would be nice to have a quality closer, but I would much rather have a quality home run hitter or a quality starting pitcher. They're far more valuable.

4.) It's June and we're (still) in first place.
I'm a bit surprised we're in first place and I'm rather enjoying it for this very reason. I have no idea if we'll win the division but I know with 100 percent certainty that what this ballclub does over the next 2-1/2 months matters infinitely more than what Billy Koch did last night.

Get over it. Thank you.

Finally! Thank you George! That is the one trend I have noticed since the old rivals.com days is that as the traffic goes up, so do the amount of doom and gloomers.

jackbrohamer
06-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
A new week means new opportunities for the Sox to wins some games.

It's also another week between now and the end of the Manuel era which is a good thing.
And the beginning of another chapter in the storied White Sox/Phillies rivalry.

Dadawg_77
06-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by dpbyron
Finally! Thank you George! That is the one trend I have noticed since the old rivals.com days is that as the traffic goes up, so do the amount of doom and gloomers.

The thing is when things are going good, everyone does something else. When things are going bad, people want an outlet to express their displeasure. This board is a perfect place for people to express their displeasure. Thus when the Sox are winning poster are watching butterflies, sippin on lemonade, enjoying the good life or whatever. When things go bad.....

dpbyron
06-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
When things go bad.....

Look out around here!

Win1ForMe
06-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If your point is that Sox Fans are nothing but blathering idiots, I would agree it's POTW material.

I don't.

Here's a thought: let Sox fans hold their own opinions and allow them to follow their team in whichever way they want. No need to get on your soapbox.

pudge
06-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
There's your POTW.

No, I was not going for POTW. I just think it's interesting how the "stay calm" contigent always swoops in right after the "our season is over" contigent.

My only argument here would be that I don't think the majority of anger expressed on this board is as drastic as "our season is over." I think people are expressing a reasonable amount of anger at a team that keeps putting a horrid closer on the mound.

pudge
06-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
No, they aren't.

Hey, you don't get to make unqualified absolutes just because you're the server admin! Er... okay... maybe you do.

delben91
06-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by pudge

My only argument here would be that I don't think the majority of anger expressed on this board is as drastic as "our season is over." I think people are expressing a reasonable amount of anger at a team that keeps putting a horrid closer on the mound.

I was going to disagree with you because I always seem to see all sorts of fatalistic posts on here, especially after a loss such as Sunday's. However, after looking over the posts, a decent of them are just exasperated with Koch and Ozzie's continued loyalty to him in the 9th inning...

Still though, count me among that "stay calm contingent" :cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by pudge & Win1ForMe
Hey, you don't get to make unqualified absolutes just because you're the server admin! Er... okay... maybe you do.

....

No, I was not going for POTW. I just think it's interesting how the "stay calm" contigent always swoops in right after the "our season is over" contigent.

My only argument here would be that I don't think the majority of anger expressed on this board is as drastic as "our season is over." I think people are expressing a reasonable amount of anger at a team that keeps putting a horrid closer on the mound.

....

Here's a thought: let Sox fans hold their own opinions and allow them to follow their team in whichever way they want. No need to get on your soapbox.


My goodness... touchy, touchy. Heaven forbid this forum have even one thread where the doom and gloomers are knocked back on their heels. Sox Fans always finding the dark lining in every silver cloud...

pudge
06-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
My goodness... touchy, touchy. Heaven forbid this forum have even one thread where the doom and gloomers are knocked back on their heels. Sox Fans always finding the dark lining in every silver cloud...

On a much more important note... how did you combine quotes? Is there a trick, or did you do that manually?

Dadawg_77
06-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by pudge
On a much more important note... how did you combine quotes? Is there a trick, or did you do that manually?

There is a button that says quote selected, but West has said it won't be there after the board upgrade.

FarWestChicago
06-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Hey, you don't get to make unqualified absolutes just because you're the server admin! Er... okay... maybe you do. It really bothers me that this place is a ghost town after a Sox victory and a zoo after a loss. I'm not a negative person. I never quit at anything until absolutely defeated. dpbyron is right. Things have changed a lot over the years, and unfortunately not for the better. I guess I wouldn't even mind the post loss rants as much if more than 3 people ever showed up to celebrate a victory.

Jerko
06-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The thing is when things are going good, everyone does something else. When things are going bad, people want an outlet to express their displeasure. This board is a perfect place for people to express their displeasure. Thus when the Sox are winning poster are watching butterflies, sippin on lemonade, enjoying the good life or whatever. When things go bad.....

That could be the POTW. A lot of people don't get on here after a win because we're in a good mood and just go about things normally. BUT, after the losses we've been seeing lately, people do get pissed, come on here to vent, and then leave. Look at Sunday when nobody could sign on right after that loss. That was a bad loss, people were pissed, they came here to talk to other people who were pissed, and that's that. After a win I'm usually in a good baseball mood so I just turn on a late game or sportscenter or the postgame show if I'm not going out. Even the old gameday threads were like that; they were 3 times longer after a loss than after a win just because typing stuff in anger is a good release for some people.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
That could be the POTW. A lot of people don't get on here after a win because we're in a good mood and just go about things normally. BUT, after the losses we've been seeing lately, people do get pissed, come on here to vent, and then leave. Look at Sunday when nobody could sign on right after that loss. That was a bad loss, people were pissed, they came here to talk to other people who were pissed, and that's that. After a win I'm usually in a good baseball mood so I just turn on a late game or sportscenter or the postgame show if I'm not going out. Even the old gameday threads were like that; they were 3 times longer after a loss than after a win just because typing stuff in anger is a good release for some people.

Please come visit us after a Sox win. We're making s'mores.

:)

pudge
06-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
It really bothers me that this place is a ghost town after a Sox victory and a zoo after a loss. I'm not a negative person. I never quit at anything until absolutely defeated. dpbyron is right. Things have changed a lot over the years, and unfortunately not for the better. I guess I wouldn't even mind the post loss rants as much if more than 3 people ever showed up to celebrate a victory.

Well yes, I don't know the history of the site as you do... But I remember quite a lot of buzz and excitement in here during the big win streak last July/August. If the Sox can start to pull away from Minny, I think this place would be buzzing with positive chatter... But consider that Sunday's loss was the last in an ugly road trip and ended in the worst possible way, I guess I'd expect it to be a zoo after that debacle.

I don't mind the ranting after Koch blows a save, but I was disturbed by all the ranting before the season even began, that's for sure! Where are the Colon lovers and Willie haters now? ;)

Jerko
06-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Please come visit us after a Sox win. We're making s'mores.

:)

Will there be enough for all 3 of us?????????

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Will there be enough for all 3 of us?????????

We always have plenty of marshmallow and graham crackers for everyone. However it's tough to keep the chocolate bar supply from running out, especially when Mrs. PHG opens the package and then it's open season for me devouring the rest.

So if you like chocolate on your s'mores, it's best to bring your own with you to WSI.

:)

Win1ForMe
06-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
It really bothers me that this place is a ghost town after a Sox victory and a zoo after a loss. I'm not a negative person. I never quit at anything until absolutely defeated. dpbyron is right. Things have changed a lot over the years, and unfortunately not for the better. I guess I wouldn't even mind the post loss rants as much if more than 3 people ever showed up to celebrate a victory.

I guess you're probably right but I would say it also depends on HOW the Sox win or lose. For example, if the game is a blowout (win or lose), the less likely it is for people to be as emotionally charged while watching the game. And because there's less emotion, they're less likely to post their feelings or opinions on the game. Since the Sox have a tendency to win a lot of blowouts, that would be a reason why you would see less posts after victories.

Sunday's game was a close one which the Sox should have won, same with the Opening Day game in KC. Those would be the days when you couldn't even log on to the board. As far as our wins, I remember this place going nuts after Sox had the miraculous come back against Tampa Bay.

I see your point though...

FarWestChicago
06-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I don't mind the ranting after Koch blows a save, but I was disturbed by all the ranting before the season even began, that's for sure! Where are the Colon lovers and Willie haters now? ;) Very good point. Even the post game rants would be more tolerable without the constant, redundant, overbearing negativity from certain hate based groups.

Win1ForMe
06-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pudge
I don't mind the ranting after Koch blows a save, but I was disturbed by all the ranting before the season even began, that's for sure! Where are the Colon lovers and Willie haters now? ;)

Very good point. Even the post game rants would be more tolerable without the constant, redundant, overbearing negativity from certain hate based groups.

Well, if you're looking for "negative" Willie Harris haters, those who irrationally criticized him before he had any regular ABs, look no further than Daver and this thread's very own PHG.

"Have We Been Unfair to Willie Harris?" (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25021)

That thread is a very fun read...
:)

FarWestChicago
06-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
I guess you're probably right but I would say it also depends on HOW the Sox win or lose. For example, if the game is a blowout (win or lose), the less likely it is for people to be as emotionally charged while watching the game. And because there's less emotion, they're less likely to post their feelings or opinions on the game.This is an interesting observation, also. I learned the hard way back in the 90's that it wasn't a good idea to send or respond to emails at work while emotionally wound up. That training came with me when I first started moderating the Clubhouse back on the Rivals network. I try to avoid posting or making site decisions while wound up. It can be embarrassing. For example, do any of the guys who blow a gut about the Sox being horrible in the second inning of a game thread ever feel silly when they come back later and win in a rout? This board started out as a community. That's what it's intended for. Somehow many people have decided it's main purpose is psychotherapy. I think the latter attitude is misguided.

FarWestChicago
06-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Well, if you're looking for "negative" Willie Harris haters...No, I'm talking about the people who post essentially the same message over and over, day in and day out, about how much they hate a given individual. We already know their position, do they have to reiterate it dozens of times per day or let us know in every thread? Anyway, I've obviously made an error trying to have a rational conversation with you.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Well, if you're looking for "negative" Willie Harris haters, those who irrationally criticized him before he had any regular ABs, look no further than Daver and this thread's very own PHG.
That thread is a very fun read...


Another WSI classic... so good it now spans over 15 months worth of witty dialogue. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

Is Willie the real deal? I don't know, but I gladly eat crow if he starts taking walks and still finishes the season leading off with a BA over .300. I'm not holding my breath. Juan Uribe was April's Flavor of the Month and the Aaron Miles Fan Club has already started circling like sharks here at WSI ever since Uribe's numbers inevitably came back to earth.

Now I won't bother explaining why venting your spleen over a Billy Koch blown save in June isn't nearly the same as venting my spleen in late-September over somebody stubbornly insisting they were right about not fixing our fifth starter woes the previous spring. The Sox were eliminated from the post-season by Kenny Rogers. Crotch is 2-1/2 months removed from such treachery.

pudge
06-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


Now I won't bother explaining why venting your spleen over a Billy Koch blown save in June isn't nearly the same as venting my spleen in late-September over somebody stubbornly insisting they were right about not fixing our fifth starter woes the previous spring. The Sox were eliminated from the post-season by Kenny Rogers. Crotch is 2-1/2 months removed from such treachery.

Well that's exactly why I'm not as riled up as I was, say, last July when Crawford hit the homer in Tampa. I hope it's a blessing that Koch did this the first week of June. Let's get this situation patched up and move on!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Well that's exactly why I'm not as riled up as I was, say, last July when Crawford hit the homer in Tampa. I hope it's a blessing that Koch did this the first week of June. Let's get this situation patched up and move on!

Ah yes, common ground. I suspect we won't be seeing Koch protecting any one-run leads in the ninth inning for quite a while. I agree this is a good thing. He came completely unhinged Sunday night. Closer by committee is the best we can hope for right now.

Personally I don't feel more than 3-4 guys in the entire league deserve the regular "closer" role, defined as pitching the ninth with the lead everytime the game isn't a blowout. Not too many pitchers are cut out for it, and a smart manager is focused more on match ups than simply anointing one pitcher as The Chosen One to deliver victories and saves.