PDA

View Full Version : Back from Seattle

SaltyPretzel
06-07-2004, 04:49 PM
I just got back in from Seattle today. With the exception of the Sox getting Koch Blocked from a win on Sunday, I had a good time.

The ballpark itself is great. Like The Cell, you can watch the game from anywhere on the concourse and in left field beneath the out of town scoreboard, you can stand and watch the game from there and there's even a ledge there to put your beer or hot dog. You can also watch the pitchers warm up in the bullpen from a lower concourse. The design is very fan friendly and you can walk anywhere in the park, unlike here.

The fans are very polite, but are quiet and don't pay too much attention to the game. A woman next to me yesterday spent the whole game working on a crossword puzzle and some guy who wasn't paying attention to the game got nailed in the face by a foul ball. His nose pretty much exploded and he was taken out in a stretcher in a pool of blood. Also, I only saw one person the entire three games who was visibly drunk. The fact that beers are $7.75 might have something to do with it.

We stayed at The Renaissance Hotel where the Sox were. I met several players at the hotel bar. I was sitting next to Greg Walker on Thursday night and talked to him for about an hour. He was a real, genuinely nice guy. I also sat next to everyone's favorite pitcher :angry: , Billy Koch. As much as I absolutely despise him as a pitcher and never want to see him in a Sox jersey again, he was pretty cool. We bought me a few beers and whenever Sox fans walked into the bar, he'd buy them a round of drinks. He joked about the fans not liking him and seems to understand why we don't, but said he loved Sox fans for putting up with being Chicago baseball's "Red headed stepchild" and being passionate about winning. He went on to rip on the Cub fans and talked about them invading the Cell this year and starting fights. He said that loves when fights break out between the Sox and Cub fans because the Cub fan always gets pummeled.

SaltyPretzel
06-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Here's a picture of the roof closing on Saturday.

SaltyPretzel
06-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Here's a picture of the concourse in left.

DaveIsHere
06-07-2004, 04:52 PM
That is awesome you got to hang out with Beely, at least he bought you a few beers for your pain.

SaltyPretzel
06-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Here's a picture of the left field bleachers from the center field bleachers. It kind of reminded be of the view in the upper deck at Old Comiskey.

SaltyPretzel
06-07-2004, 04:56 PM
We joked that we should have broken his arm while we had the chance:

SaltyPretzel
06-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
That is awesome you got to hang out with Beely, at least he bought you a few beers for your pain.

After yesterday, he should pay for my wedding.

SOXintheBURGH
06-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Great story!! He should have bought you a shot of Jager for every horrible pitch he threw.

steff
06-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
We joked that we should have broken his arm while we had the chance:

Ironically I said that exact same thing to someone on Friday night!! :D:

SaltyPretzel
06-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by SOXintheBURGH
Great story!! He should have bought you a shot of Jager for every horrible pitch he threw.

My blood alcohol level would be nearly as high as his ERA.

jshanahanjr
06-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks for posting the pics. Safeco looks really nice. Poor Billy. I hope he can turn it around for our sake along with his.

nasox
06-07-2004, 05:15 PM
My blood alcohol level would be nearly as high as his ERA.

Zing!

mann
06-07-2004, 09:24 PM
some guy who wasn't paying attention to the game got nailed in the face by a foul ball. His nose pretty much exploded and he was taken out in a stretcher in a pool of blood.

I was sitting somewhat near that guy and, in all fairness, the backstop is pretty low and that ball came over with quite a bit of top spin. Man, did he get blasted, though.

mike squires
06-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Is that time posted on te group pic corect? If so, Maybe that is part of his problem. Don't Ozzie set a curfew? :)

SaltyPretzel
06-07-2004, 11:30 PM
It was actually 12:16 am.

Chrisaway
06-07-2004, 11:55 PM
He said that loves when fights break out between the Sox and Cub fans because the Cub fan always gets pummeled.

yeah just ask the guy who attacked Laz Diaz

pinwheels3530
06-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Great pictures, Safeco is a beautiful park.