PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of the Day 6/7

Lip Man 1
06-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Esteban Loazia to Joe Cowley of the Daily Southtown:

"Losing a game like we did might cost us at the end of the season, it's a bad loss for us. The team was upset, but there's nothing we can do until Tuesday when we play Philadelphia.

"We're shocked because we could have gone home with the victory."

"If we would have had more offensive support, maybe we would have won the game, I gave up two runs in 6 1/3 innings, but I can't throw shutouts every time out there."

Lip

CubKilla
06-07-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

I gave up two runs in 6 1/3 innings, but I can't throw shutouts every time out there."

Lip

No lead is safe from a good Koching and that is the sad part for White Sox starters as long as Ozzie and/or KW keep trotting that piece of garbage out there for the 9th with the game on the line.

Palehose13
06-07-2004, 02:32 PM
ELo looked very upset when the cameras were on him in the ninth yesterday. I don't blame him. Koch not only lost the game for the team, but took away his win. I just hope this doesn't have the same result as the July 4th, 2003 Koch blown save.

Hangar18
06-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
ELo looked very upset when the cameras were on him in the ninth yesterday. I don't blame him. Koch not only lost the game for the team, but took away his win. I just hope this doesn't have the same result as the July 4th, 2003 Koch blown save.

Which is WHY I cant understand why Manuel...er....Ozz keeps
putting him out there with the game on the line. OZZ deserves as much grief for CONTINUEING to go with this dirtbag of a player.
That was about as HORRIBLE an outing, as ive seen in well over a decade. Balls all over the Strike Zone, Pitches in the dirt at least 3 times, Guys stealing Bases on him to the tune of 4 times,
then as the ICING on the Cake, WALKING the run in.
Thats why im still Sick to My Stomach. Good thing we saved that $$$$ in arbitration and got KOCH wasnt it?

bobj4400
06-07-2004, 02:59 PM
The 48 footer he tossed up there may have been the worst pitch I have ever seen a Major Leaguer throw. He sucks. I wanted to puke last night while watching Kerosene Billy aka The Arsonist.

pudge
06-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Good for ELO.... the organization is letting it's players and fans down by stubbornly sticking with Koch, we all new this ages ago.

SoxFan78
06-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
The 48 footer he tossed up there may have been the worst pitch I have ever seen a Major Leaguer throw. He sucks. I wanted to puke last night while watching Kerosene Billy aka The Arsonist.

I didn't think Billy boy could do any worse during that inning, but when i saw that 48 footer I just muttered to myself "Jesus F'n Christ"

Deadguy
06-07-2004, 03:55 PM
That last comment from E-Lo was almost Navarro-esque.

While E-lo's comment is infinitely more true and justifiable than any of Navarro's pathetic rants about the offense not giving him enough support AFTER BEING THE WORST PITCHER IN BASEBALL FOR THREE STRAIGHT SEASONS, E-Lo should still hold off on slamming the 9 guys in the liineup (10 if you include Gload), and blaming them for the loss. Jamie Moyer is a solid pitcher, and Safeco is a decent pitcher's park.

This comment, and taking away a start from Mark at the end of last season make him appear very selfish. I know he tried to rectify the situation with Mark by allowing him to be the opening day starter, but still.

Brian26
06-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400

Glad to know that someone else was almost, literally, physically ill after watching that game. That one hurt.

mealfred13
06-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
That last comment from E-Lo was almost Navarro-esque.

While E-lo's comment is infinitely more true and justifiable than any of Navarro's pathetic rants about the offense not giving him enough support AFTER BEING THE WORST PITCHER IN BASEBALL FOR THREE STRAIGHT SEASONS, E-Lo should still hold off on slamming the 9 guys in the liineup (10 if you include Gload), and blaming them for the loss. Jamie Moyer is a solid pitcher, and Safeco is a decent pitcher's park.

This comment, and taking away a start from Mark at the end of last season make him appear very selfish. I know he tried to rectify the situation with Mark by allowing him to be the opening day starter, but still.

I have to say, I think alot of people are taking Loaiza's comments about run support to mean that he's blaming the team for not scoring enough runs. I think what he's REALLY doing, is trying to hold back from verbally reaming Koch for blowing the save by suggesting a few more runs may have given us the win. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's better than Loaiza starting club controversy by ripping on Koch. Leave that to Ozzie.

RichFitztightly
06-08-2004, 12:35 AM
I don't know if my post really follows any semblance of a point, but I'll say it anyways. When I was watching Spring Training this year Loazia came over and signed a bunch of autographs. I thought that was really cool. However, he was very short with the fans who were wishing him well. The conversations went like this:

Fan 1: "How's the arm?"
Loazia: "Good"
Fan 2: "You going to be an All-Star again this year?"
Loazia: "Yes"
Fan 3: "Good Luck this year"
Loazia: "Anybody want anything else signed? No?" -- then he walked away.

It's difficult to really fault him for coming over and signing everybody's stuff. That was really cool and it made my day. His nature came off as rude, especially when it was contrasted with his attitude in the Bullpen Bar after one of his 1-0 losses to Detroit. There, he was all smiles and very talkative to whoever came up to him as he was walking through. In Spring Training it just seemed like he was big league-ing (however you'd spell that word) the fans and it didn't come off well.

In contrast, Carlos Castillo got congratualated on a good inning and he gave a very sincere, sad puppy-dog, and super-heart felt "Thank You... Thank you so much." It was obvious that those words of encouragement made a hell of a difference in his day.

As an aside, Brian Anderson went out of his way to talk to all the fans who were watching the scrimmage. He tried his best to start a conversation with everybody, but nobody knew who he was so all he got was a polite, "Oh, how are you doing? Good Job today by the way."

It goes to show you how a player's interaction with the fans shape their perceptions of them. After that day, I was really pulling for Carlos Castillo to make the team and now I'm a huge Brian Anderson fan.

When I wrote this I was hoping I'd get to a point that would be relevant to this thread, but I fell short. Ummm... I guess I'll say, I agree with Mealfred's take on the comment. Regardless of what I implied with my Loazia story, I'm sure he was just trying to deflect his/the fan's anger from Koch while also saying, "Don't blame me for this one. I did my job."

soltrain21
06-08-2004, 12:41 AM
That spring training stuff is hard to base it off of, though. He didn't exactly have the best spring training and was probably getting worried that last year was indeed a fluke. Or maybe he was just having a bad day with something rather than baseball?

You never know, but he seems like a nice guy to me.

batmanZoSo
06-08-2004, 12:43 AM

"Losing a game like we did might cost us at the end of the season, it's a bad loss for us. The team was upset, but there's nothing we can do until Tuesday when we play Philadelphia.

"If we would have had more offensive support, maybe we would have won the game, I gave up two runs in 6 1/3 innings, but I can't throw shutouts every time out there."

Lip

He's 6-3, should be 8-2...should've won the Twins game and last night.

RichFitztightly
06-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by soltrain21
That spring training stuff is hard to base it off of, though. He didn't exactly have the best spring training and was probably getting worried that last year was indeed a fluke. Or maybe he was just having a bad day with something rather than baseball?

You never know, but he seems like a nice guy to me.

No, this interaction happened before the games started. They were just doing their pitching drills, covering first base, doing pick-offs, bunt defense, etc. None of the regular starters pitched this particular day. It was Rauch against what I thought was Schoenweis at the time, but the more I think back on it, it was probably Neal Cotts. Neal Cotts (or Schoenweis if it indeed was him) was far superior to Rauch that day.

I understand what you're saying. He seemed like a nice guy to me in the bullpen bar that day he walked through - and it was after a 1-0 loss to Detroit for Chrissakes!!! And he was nice that day too judging by the fact that he signed for everybody. I guess I'll describe what I think he's like by saying this: It appears he does exactly what is asked of him, nothing more nothing less. He'll sign everything for the fans, but he doesn't have to be Miss Congeniality. He'll pitch well enough to win but won't shoulder any extra blame if the team loses. He just strikes me as a "come here and do your job" professional pitcher. And there's nothing wrong with that. If he wants to be judged strictly by his results, fine by me. Keep doing your job like you're supposed to and you'll always have a fan in me rooting for you.

Cubbiesuck13
06-08-2004, 12:57 AM
i don't like his comments one bit. i can understand being upset tho. but i try not to judge a player on one comment or one meeting. i don't think that any player ripping another is going to do anything good. even if that player deserved it. that's just me.

soltrain21
06-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
No, this interaction happened before the games started. They were just doing their pitching drills, covering first base, doing pick-offs, bunt defense, etc. None of the regular starters pitched this particular day. It was Rauch against what I thought was Schoenweis at the time, but the more I think back on it, it was probably Neal Cotts. Neal Cotts (or Schoenweis if it indeed was him) was far superior to Rauch that day.

I understand what you're saying. He seemed like a nice guy to me in the bullpen bar that day he walked through - and it was after a 1-0 loss to Detroit for Chrissakes!!! And he was nice that day too judging by the fact that he signed for everybody. I guess I'll describe what I think he's like by saying this: It appears he does exactly what is asked of him, nothing more nothing less. He'll sign everything for the fans, but he doesn't have to be Miss Congeniality. He'll pitch well enough to win but won't shoulder any extra blame if the team loses. He just strikes me as a "come here and do your job" professional pitcher. And there's nothing wrong with that. If he wants to be judged strictly by his results, fine by me. Keep doing your job like you're supposed to and you'll always have a fan in me rooting for you.

I agree, I am just trying to get it into my head that all baseball players are out there having fun and loving what they do. I know I would be, but that is obviously not the case for a lot of major leaguers..

WLL1855
06-08-2004, 01:53 AM

Lip

My take. The first time I heard this quote it was only the last part of it and it come across as unwarranted. However, after I read the whole thing above, I think Loaiza meant that ideally he would throw a complete game shutout and we wouldn't have to worry about Gas Can Billy coming in to screw things up. He was obviously frustated about pitching well enough to win the game and then watching it slip away in the ninth. He just didn't choose his words very well.