PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* 2004 MLB Draft Day Thread: DAY 1***

Pages : [1] 2

Randar68
06-07-2004, 10:30 AM
All your day's draft tidbits, comments, and analysis should go here.

The draft begins on conference call at roughly 1pm et, 12 central.

The draft order is as follows:

1. Padres
2. Tigers
3. Mets
4. Devil Rays
5. Brewers
6. Indians
7. Reds
8. Orioles
9. Rockies
10. Rangers
11. Pirates
12. Angels
13. Expos
14. Royals
15. Diamondbacks
16. Blue Jays
17. Dodgers
18. White Sox
19. Cardinals
20. Twins
21. Phillies
22. Twins (from Mariners for Eddie Guardado)
23. Yankees (from Astros for Andy Pettitte)
24. Athletics (from Red Sox for Keith Foulke)
25. Twins (from Cubs for LaTroy Hawkins)
26. Athletics
27. Marlins
28. Dodgers (from Yankees for Paul Quantrill)
29. Royals (from Giants for Michael Tucker)
30. Rangers (from Braves for John Thomson)

Supplemental 1st Round
31. Royals (for Raul Ibanez)
32. Blue Jays (for Kelvim Escobar)
33. Dodgers (for Quantrill)
34. White Sox (for Bartolo Colon)
35. Twins (for Guardado)
36. Athletics (for Foulke)
37. Yankees (for Pettitte)
38. White Sox (for Tom Gordon)
39. Twins (for Hawkins)
40. Athletics (for Miguel Tejada)
41. Yankees (for David Wells)

2nd round Compensation picks:
42. Yankees (from Padres for Wells)
49. Athletics (from Orioles for Tejada)
53. White Sox (from Angels for Colon)
63. Royals (from Mariners for Ibanez)
69. White Sox (from Yankees for Gordon)

3rd round compensation picks:
83. Blue Jays (from Angels for Escobar)

Randar68
06-07-2004, 10:33 AM
To keep things up to date, The Padres, with the first overall pick have already agreed to a contract with Matt Bush, the HS SS from Mission Bay High in San Diego.

He signed for 3.1 million, about 400K below the MLB's recommended No. 1 bonus number of 3.5 million...

Stephen Drew and Jared Weaver could both slide out of the first round and be charity picks for teams like the Cubs, Yankees, etc, who will spend the money out-of-slot and tell MLB to screw itself...

BearSox
06-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Wheres the best place to follow the draft in real time?

Jjav829
06-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Some questions for all you draftniks out there since I don't follow the baseball draft as much as I follow the NFL/NBA drafts. Is there a real chance that Jered Weaver drops out of the 1st round all together? Who are some of the most major league ready players? Best college closer in the draft, and how close is he to the majors? I'm hoping we draft him with the 18th pick. :D:

Randar68
06-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Baseball America's last first-round projection has the Sox taking Fields at No. 18, Vargas at #34, and Jaramillo at #38.

I wouldn't be unhappy with that, but I'd still rather have Suzuki than Jaramillo if they're both on the board at #38.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by BearSox
Wheres the best place to follow the draft in real time?

MLB.com will have an audio and video webcast.

poorme
06-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Fields seems to be kind of a Borchard type hitter.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Some questions for all you draftniks out there since I don't follow the baseball draft as much as I follow the NFL/NBA drafts. Is there a real chance that Jered Weaver drops out of the 1st round all together? Who are some of the most major league ready players? Best college closer in the draft, and how close is he to the majors? I'm hoping we draft him with the 18th pick. :D:

College Closer? There are a handful of prospects that could turn into closers.

Most MLB-read? Drew, Weaver, Sowers are probably the top 3.

It's a shallow draft for position players in general, and it's strong on college pitchers. However, Catcher is a very deep position this year and 15-20 catchers could be drafted in the first 5 rounds.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by poorme
Fields seems to be kind of a Borchard type hitter.

Fields doesn't have as much pure power and doesn't strike out as much. Both being QB's is where the comparison ends.

CWSGuy406
06-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Some publications have us taking Purcey. Can you tell us (if you know) about him, Randar, and will he fall to us?

I'll be pissed if either of Drew/Weaver fall to the Cubs. Is it true they're asking for 10 million signing bonus? That's horsecrap. Damn Scott Boras.

SEALgep
06-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Some questions for all you draftniks out there since I don't follow the baseball draft as much as I follow the NFL/NBA drafts. Is there a real chance that Jered Weaver drops out of the 1st round all together? Who are some of the most major league ready players? Best college closer in the draft, and how close is he to the majors? I'm hoping we draft him with the 18th pick. :D: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040603&content_id=760438&vkey=draft2004&fext=.jsp

Here's another closer draftee for someone.

poorme
06-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Fields doesn't have as much pure power and doesn't strike out as much. Both being QB's is where the comparison ends.

Borchard-lite maybe...I don't recall his numbers being that great, so he must have great "tools."

BigEdWalsh
06-07-2004, 10:43 AM
College Closer? There are a handful of prospects that could turn into closers.

Most MLB-read? Drew, Weaver, Sowers are probably the top 3.

It's a shallow draft for position players in general, and it's strong on college pitchers. However, Catcher is a very deep position this year and 15-20 catchers could be drafted in the first 5 rounds.

If that's the case about catchers, I hope the Sox can land one though I wouldn't think it's the highest priority. At the minor league level the Sox seem to be pretty weak there.

joecrede
06-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Stephen Drew and Jared Weaver could both slide out of the first round and be charity picks for teams like the Cubs, Yankees, etc, who will spend the money out-of-slot and tell MLB to screw itself...

If Weaver is there at #18 the Sox have to take him IMO.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Borchard-lite maybe...I don't recall his numbers being that great, so he must have great "tools."

If you're going to do this all day, just stop posting.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by joecrede

Why, so he follows in his brother's footsteps andd doesn't sign with the Sox?

Boras. 10 million dollar demand. College Jr. He can always return to school for a year.

The Sox won't draft any players like this because they have to be economical with so many early picks. They can't afford to blow their draft budget on one player.

TaylorStSox
06-07-2004, 10:45 AM

We took his brother too. The problem is that he might not sign. I believe Boras is his agent.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by BigEdWalsh
If that's the case about catchers, I hope the Sox can land one though I wouldn't think it's the highest priority. At the minor league level the Sox seem to be pretty weak there.

As a former catcher, maybe I overvalue the position, but the Sox have been weak there for 10 years. Olivo was a saving grace, but really...

Anyways... I'd like to see the Sox take both a HS and a college catcher in the first 5 rounds. A couple ctachers that will be spaced-out. in their development cycle. Guys like Jaramillo, Powell, and Suzuki are pretty advanced and would be to the majors in 2-3 years IMO. Draft a HS player that would be 2-3 years behind that schedule and you can address your organizational weakness there in one fell-swoop.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040603&content_id=760438&vkey=draft2004&fext=.jsp

Here's another closer draftee for someone.

Huston Street only throws 88-92. He doesn't profile as a closer based on stuff, but ratehr on "heart". I'd rather the Sox not make that pick in the first round. JP Howell is similar, and he'll likely be there for one of their 2nd round picks.

SEALgep
06-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Huston Street only throws 88-92. He doesn't profile as a closer based on stuff, but ratehr on "heart". I'd rather the Sox not make that pick in the first round. JP Howell is similar, and he'll likely be there for one of their 2nd round picks. I certainly wouldn't make him our first round pick either. If he drops, just someone to consider.

Hangar18

Boras. 10 million dollar demand. College Jr. He can always return to school for a year.

The Sox won't draft any players like this because they have to be economical with so many early picks. They can't afford to blow their draft budget on one player.

Per ESPN ....... " The Rockies have already been in contact with Weavers agents, but have been told that he wants Mark Prior money". Thats all we need to know. The "best" player not necessarily going to the team with the most neet.
We need a Commissioner

poorme
"He's going to be a guy with power. He's got bat speed and strength. He's not making the kind of contact you hope he will in the future, but he hasn't played collegiately a lot, and he hasn't played in the summers to my knowledge, or in the fall (because of football). He's basically played spring to spring. I think he won't be a tremendous average hitter, but he will make enough contact to get to his power."

Unlike Borchard, he appears to know how to draw a walk.

CWSGuy406
06-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Huston Street only throws 88-92. He doesn't profile as a closer based on stuff, but ratehr on "heart". I'd rather the Sox not make that pick in the first round. JP Howell is similar, and he'll likely be there for one of their 2nd round picks.

Am I the only one that really, really likes Howell? I mean, a 1.72 ERA in the Big 12 is pretty impressive. Plus, I've heard that his curveball is Zito like. I know I keep repeating myself, but a pitch with that type of movement seems awesome to me.

BTW, how is Suzuki defensively? Looking at his stats he seems like the Beane prototype, good OBP - etc. etc. I like him. Isn't Jarmillo the guy who places his game like Pudge?

joecrede

The Sox could use the money earmarked for an in-season acquisition to sweeten Weaver's offer because he could step in to the rotation by August.

Would upwards of $4M get Weaver signed at #18? Let him turn down that offer and go back to school. Matt Harrington turned down that kind of money ...

Anyhow, with 6 picks in the first 69, the Sox would be well positioned to take a gamble like this. If they could not sign Weaver they receive a supplemental pick in next year's draft wouldn't they?

Randar68
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Some publications have us taking Purcey. Can you tell us (if you know) about him, Randar, and will he fall to us?

Well, Purcey is a tad bit like Danny Wright from the left-side. Good fastball, inconsistent control and breaking pitches.

He's had a great year since last summer and been pretty consistent this year, showing better control and command of his breaking stuff. He's a huge kid at 6'5" and 240 and has a nice fastball that is consistently low 90's, but can get up to legit mid-90's.

I haven't heard anything about the Sox pursuing him, so I don't think he's a real target at #18. There will be a few surprises fall to us at 18, and Syzmanski may even be available in the Sandwich round, I know the Sox have him rated pretty highly... Might be tough to pass him up, even with the pitching/C needs.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Unlike Borchard, he appears to know how to draw a walk.

While he wasn't regularly intentionally walked, he had little protection in the order and was pitched around all season. It's one primary reason why his HR and RBI numbers aren't what you might expect.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 11:00 AM
If they could not sign Weaver they receive a supplemental pick in next year's draft wouldn't they?

That was a part of the proposed draft overhaul (along with FA Draft pick compensation, trading picks, etc) that was never approved and won't be approached until the next CBA is reached, IMO.

SEALgep
06-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Well, Purcey is a tad bit like Danny Wright from the left-side. Good fastball, inconsistent control and breaking pitches.

He's had a great year since last summer and been pretty consistent this year, showing better control and command of his breaking stuff. He's a huge kid at 6'5" and 240 and has a nice fastball that is consistently low 90's, but can get up to legit mid-90's.

I haven't heard anything about the Sox pursuing him, so I don't think he's a real target at #18. There will be a few surprises fall to us at 18, and Syzmanski may even be available in the Sandwich round, I know the Sox have him rated pretty highly... Might be tough to pass him up, even with the pitching/C needs. In the MLB mock draft, Purcey is the first pick of the Blue Jays at 16. Syzmanski at 17 to the Dodgers, in replacment of Franklin G. Anything can happen, just showing what is being predicted.

Hangar18
06-07-2004, 11:01 AM
The Sox could use the money earmarked for an in-season acquisition to sweeten Weaver's offer because he could step in to the rotation by August.

Would upwards of $4M get Weaver signed at #18? Let him turn down that offer and go back to school. Matt Harrington turned down that kind of money ...

Anyhow, with 6 picks in the first 69, the Sox would be well positioned to take a gamble like this. If they could not sign Weaver they receive a supplemental pick in next year's draft wouldn't they?

Say.......I like this idea. Give him a messiah type contract, guaranteed. Randar, could this be a possibility?

Randar68
06-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Am I the only one that really, really likes Howell? I mean, a 1.72 ERA in the Big 12 is pretty impressive. Plus, I've heard that his curveball is Zito like. I know I keep repeating myself, but a pitch with that type of movement seems awesome to me.

BTW, how is Suzuki defensively? Looking at his stats he seems like the Beane prototype, good OBP - etc. etc. I like him. Isn't Jarmillo the guy who places his game like Pudge?

I like Howell, but I still wouldn't take him until the second round.

Suzuki isn't a gold glover, but he handles his staff pretty well and has the arm/feet to stay at C. He won't be an Olivo/Pudge/etc, but he could be a more than adequate catcher with good patience and occassional pop at the MLB level.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
In the MLB mock draft, Purcey is the first pick of the Blue Jays at 16. Syzmanski at 17 to the Dodgers, in replacment of Franklin G. Anything can happen, just showing what is being predicted.

That is several days old. BA has Syzmanski going in the back of the Sandwich round as of late last night...

Like you said, all the shuffling at the top could shake things up considerably.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Say.......I like this idea. Give him a messiah type contract, guaranteed. Randar, could this be a possibility?

Won't happen. SCOTT BORA$$

It would be a totally wasted pick.

Fungo
06-07-2004, 11:04 AM
As a former catcher, maybe I overvalue the position, but the Sox have been weak there for 10 years. Olivo was a saving grace, but really...

Anyways... I'd like to see the Sox take both a HS and a college catcher in the first 5 rounds. A couple ctachers that will be spaced-out. in their development cycle. Guys like Jaramillo, Powell, and Suzuki are pretty advanced and would be to the majors in 2-3 years IMO. Draft a HS player that would be 2-3 years behind that schedule and you can address your organizational weakness there in one fell-swoop.

If the above mentioned catchers are all on the board, do you see the Sox going the Powell route because he is a senior and the others are juniors and thus, probably an easier sign? With all those early picks they need to draft wisely from a financial point of view.

Dadawg_77
06-07-2004, 11:05 AM

Plus if you really want to tinker, could play third in some strange double switch.

Boyd Nation on Houston as a Brooks Kieschnick type of player.

Huston Street, Texas, 3B/RHP, 1.60 ERA, 24 APP, 10 SV, 45.0 IP, 43 K, 12 BB, 3 HR, 27 H, 113 SoS. Street's semi-famous (he saved the 2002 national championship game, and his father was apparently a Texas football great, for those who care about such things), which complicates matters, but he's developed into a legitimately great reliever this year--currently second in the nation in WHIP. He hasn't played third this year and doesn't hit well enough to do so on a regular basis, but he's an excellent defensive third baseman and might be interesting to have around for some occasional LaRussian mind-games in tight situations. Even if he's not used as a position player, he's worth a look as a reliever.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Fungo
If the above mentioned catchers are all on the board, do you see the Sox going the Powell route because he is a senior and the others are juniors and thus, probably an easier sign? With all those early picks they need to draft wisely from a financial point of view.

I think team like Oak/Tor/Boston/etc will overdraft Powell and have a deal worked out in advance, but unless I did similar, I wouldn't take him higher than middle to end of round 2.

Both Suzuki and Jaramillo would be dumb to turn down slot money in the first 2 rounds. The fact that Suzuki has only had one really "good" year should push him to sign.

CWSGuy406
06-07-2004, 11:09 AM
If, in fact, Weaver fell to the sandwich picks, does that mean that he can only ask for so much money, or is it up to the GMs/Agents to get something worked out? I guess what I'm asking is, is there a cap salary/bonus for second rounders?

Dadawg_77
06-07-2004, 11:10 AM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2939

Boyd Nation's article on relievers, free so no subscription needed.
Boyd's College baseball website http://www.boydsworld.com/

Randar68
06-07-2004, 11:11 AM
If, in fact, Weaver fell to the sandwich picks, does that mean that he can only ask for so much money, or is it up to the GMs/Agents to get something worked out? I guess what I'm asking is, is there a cap salary/bonus for second rounders?

It doesn't matter where anyone is picked, they can ask for whatever they want. MLB has been privately frowning and possibly sanctioning teams for going significantly out-of-line with bonus money after the first 5 rounds, asking teams to get approval from Bud before doing so.

Weaver has a lot of leverage, but he's not worth Prior money and he doesn't really have #1 or #2 stuff. He'd be a great pick for St. Louis, and he could contribute this year. Otherwise, I'd expect the Yank's to take him...

CWSGuy406
06-07-2004, 11:15 AM
It doesn't matter where anyone is picked, they can ask for whatever they want. MLB has been privately frowning and possibly sanctioning teams for going significantly out-of-line with bonus money after the first 5 rounds, asking teams to get approval from Bud before doing so.

Weaver has a lot of leverage, but he's not worth Prior money and he doesn't really have #1 or #2 stuff. He'd be a great pick for St. Louis, and he could contribute this year. Otherwise, I'd expect the Yank's to take him...

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Randar! :)

I'm pumped. I like Josh Fields but I'd also love to have one of these pitchers. I'd run naked throughout the streets if one of the Big 3 from Rice fell to us, I know that is unlikely, but I can wish, can't I?

Randar68
06-07-2004, 11:31 AM
From what I can tell, the rumors have most of the Sox' favorite pitching targets to be gone by the time they pick, paving the way for Fields.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 11:33 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!! Rumor from BA...

12:13 PM ET: Crazy Last-Hour Rumor Dept.
The Reds may be considering Woodinville (Wash.) HS outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo at No. 7. He's one of the nation's top quarterback recruits and a very good athlete, but it's hard to believe Cincinnati would pass up players like Georgia HS shortstop Chris Nelson and Texas HS righty Homer Bailey to take him. Cincy probably could get Tuiasosopo in the second round, unless the Yankees take him at No. 42. New York reportedly is interested.

How dumb is Cinci? They've been giving away their top picks lately, but this is silly.

34 Inch Stick
06-07-2004, 11:35 AM

Imagine if he failed in NY as well. Generations of Weavers would be kept from entering the city.

owensmouth
06-07-2004, 11:41 AM
How long before Josh Fields opts to play football because he can't make it quickly to the major leagues?

Fungo
06-07-2004, 11:42 AM

The Reds may be considering Woodinville (Wash.) HS outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo at No. 7. He's one of the nation's top quarterback recruits and a very good athlete, but it's hard to believe Cincinnati would pass up players like Georgia HS shortstop Chris Nelson and Texas HS righty Homer Bailey to take him. Cincy probably could get Tuiasosopo in the second round, unless the Yankees take him at No. 42. New York reportedly is interested.

How dumb is Cinci? They've been giving away their top picks lately, but this is silly.

Just shaking my head since I saw that. Also on the same BA page...

Orioles appear to be closing in on Drew at No. 8. Should be an interesting first round.

I don't know why I even come to work on Draft day. I get busted not doing anything at least 3-4 times on that day. Truely one of the best days of the year.

CWSGuy406
06-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
How long before Josh Fields opts to play football because he can't make it quickly to the major leagues?

I hate when people make uninformed, uneducated comments like that. Like Randar said, if you're going to say stupid things like that, don't even post.

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 11:46 AM

Wow, that's sad. Even with a new GM, I see things haven't changed much in Cincinnati.

As for the Sox, like most everybody, I'd be happy with Josh Fields at 18. If he goes earlier, I'd take Zack Jackson, who should be available.

Wow, the audio on MLB.com is extremely choppy. Well, this is Major League Baseball. They'll find a way to screw anything up.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Wow, the audio on MLB.com is extremely choppy. Well, this is Major League Baseball. They'll find a way to screw anything up.

Having the same problem..

CHISOXFAN13
06-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Anyone up for hitting chat? Might be easier for those of us without access to MLB radio at work to follow.

Thanks for the updates guys!

MarkEdward
Having the same problem..

Well, I'm using the video link now, but they're only going to cover the first two rounds, I think. Hopefully they'll get the audio link fixed ASAP.

Randar68
I don't know why I even come to work on Draft day. I get busted not doing anything at least 3-4 times on that day. Truely one of the best days of the year.

I thought about taking the day off but was worried about my internet connection at home being down, LOL!

Randar68
06-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Anyone up for hitting chat? Might be easier for those of us without access to MLB radio at work to follow.

Thanks for the updates guys!

I can't get to chat through my firewall, and this thread will give the history and synopsis we can refer to for the next week or 2

CHISOXFAN13
06-07-2004, 12:01 PM
I can't get to chat through my firewall, and this thread will give the history and synopsis we can refer to for the next week or 2

Sounds good. I appreciate your knowledge on the draft and am looking forward to your comments throughout the day

ukigdog
06-07-2004, 12:02 PM
quick question, what time exactly does draft start? im at work and can only glance at net, not surf the web to find out, thnx

MRKARNO
06-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Any possibility that we can get Symanski in the supplemental round?

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Any possibility that we can get Symanski in the supplemental round?

He may be there, but if they take a positional player at #18, and are looking at a catcher in the supplemental round, they may not take him...

Dadawg_77
06-07-2004, 12:05 PM
The draft tracker

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/y2004/pool/tracker_lastName_A_1.html

Fungo
06-07-2004, 12:06 PM
I thought about taking the day off but was worried about my internet connection at home being down, LOL!

I have dial-up at home and 100.0 Mbps so I was worried about the connection as well. I felt like telling my boss, "I'm taking the day off, but coming to work to use the internet connection." One of those, I'm here, but not here deals.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by ukigdog
quick question, what time exactly does draft start? im at work and can only glance at net, not surf the web to find out, thnx

Just started here at 12:10 Central, Bush is officially the first pick.

Fungo
06-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Verlander to Detroit

Humber to Mets

Niemann to Tampa

It started.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Humber to Mets

Niemann to Tampa

It started.

Verlander went 2nd

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Brewers take Mark Rogers at #5

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Jeremy Sowers goes to Cleveland at #6. Fail-safe pick, not a terribly high ceiling though

Reds choose Homer Bailey. Good pick by them.

Fungo
06-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Neil Walker to the Pirates

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Baltimore takes Wade Townsend. The 3 Rice pitchers off the board early.

Drew and Weaver still on the board. Chris Nelson too...

Fungo
Angels take Weaver

MRKARNO
Nelson to the Rox

MarkEdward
Angels take Weaver. Moreno does it again...

Randar68
Neil Walker to the Pirates

How are you listening? I'm way behind you...

Over By There
06-07-2004, 12:15 PM
That "draft tracker" stinks.

Fungo
06-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Expos takes William Bray from William & Mary

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 12:16 PM
The audio is working again...

Expos took another reliever in the first round in Bray. KC take Billy Butler. I think Fields will fall to us.

Fungo
How are you listening? I'm way behind you...

MLB radio, I have a decent connection. I'll try to keep you all posted.

Arizona Takes Drew

Randar68
Expos takes William Bray from William & Mary

Arizona takes Stephen Drew!

MarkEdward
Drew goes to Arizona...

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:17 PM
The audio is working again...

Expos took another reliever in the first round in Bray. KC take Billy Butler. I think Fields will fall to us.

Lot's of good players falling to us...

Purcey goes to Toronto

Fungo
06-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Toronto Takes David Purcey from Oklahoma

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Elbert drafted by LA. Tommy Lasorda sounds like he's on Life Support...

Fungo
06-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Sox take Josh Fields

Hondo
It's Fields.

Randar68
White Sox select (after some delay...)

Hello????

Anyone home???

White Sox???

Josh Fields!

MarkEdward
Sox take Josh Fields. Good pick.

Hondo
06-07-2004, 12:20 PM
I thought we were going to pull a Minnesota Vikings!!!

Randar68
Sox take Josh Fields. Good pick.

Yep, this is the guy I've had pegged for a month. Great pick, should give them lot's of flexibilty down the round here in the early parts of the draft...

MarkEdward
Cardinals take Chris Lambert out of Boston College. That's a bit of a stretch.

Randar68
Originally posted by Hondo
I thought we were going to pull a Minnesota Vikings!!!

LOL You get 2 minutes, but these guys go pretty quick and always seem impatient, lol.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Cardinals take Chris Lambert out of Boston College. That's a bit of a stretch.

So is Trevor Plouffe for the Twins at #20.

Fungo
Cards take Lambert out of BC

Team One Tracker is keeping up pretty good...

http://teamonebaseball.rivals.com/draft.asp?Draft=41&Round=690

Twins take Trevor Plouffe

Phillies take Greg Golson

MarkEdward
Twins take Plouffe. Good pick. Oakland was interested in him.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Phillies take Greg Golson

Golson is another big reach. He was borderline first round, they took him at 21.

Twins took U of Minnesota pitcher Glenn Perkins...

Lot's of reaches here early...

Fungo
06-07-2004, 12:23 PM
A's take Landon Powell

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 12:24 PM
A's take Powell! That's a stretch. Big stretch.

34 Inch Stick
06-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Can someone start a thread for scouting reports on only the Sox picks?

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Still on the board:

Positional:

Syzmanski
Ferris
Putnam
Fowler
Zeringue
Larrish
Suzuki
Jaramillo

Pitchers:

Hurley
Jackson
Street
Gonzalez
Hoyman
Orendouff
Trumbo
Beattie
Vargas

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Can someone start a thread for scouting reports on only the Sox picks?

They'll be in this thread.

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Then the A's take Robnett out of Fresno State. Another big stretch.

I guess Schott tightened Beane's spending budget again, not that these are awful picks.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:26 PM
A's take Powell! That's a stretch. Big stretch.

Predraft deal. Everyone and their mother saw that one coming, one Oakland pick earlier than I thought, though...

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:27 PM
LA REALLY excited about getting DeWitt...

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Campbell goes this high? The Sox are going to have the opportunity to get great value out of all these picks with so many reaches this early...

Hurley goes to Texas.

MarkEdward
First round over with the Rangers taking Hurley.

For pick 34, I'd either take Jackson or Suzuki.Should be interesting.

Hondo
Randar,
Weaver didn't get drafted did he??
I'm guessing you just left him off since we would never draft him??

I like the pick of Fields, btw.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:29 PM
First round over with the Rangers taking Hurley.

For pick 34, I'd either take Jackson or Suzuki.Should be interesting.

Take the best guy on your board, either Suzuki or Jaramillo will be there with their second sandwich pick, too...

34 Inch Stick
They'll be in this thread.

I think they will get lost in this quickly evolving thread. Since I have nothing to contribute on this topic I will have to take what I can get.

mcfish
Randar,

Weaver went #12 to the Angels

Hondo
06-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by mcfish
Weaver went #12 to the Angels

OK. Tuned in late to that one. Thanks.

Randar68
Randar,

Weaver went #12 to Anaheim. They'll be looking to trade an MLB starter soon...

Fungo
First Round recap...

1. Matthew Bush, SD
2. Justin Verlander, DET
3. Philip Humber, NYM
4. Jeff Niemann, TB
5. Mark Rogers, MIL
6. Jeremy Sowers, CLE
7. Homer Bailey, CIN
8. Wade Townsend, BAL
9. Chris Nelson, COL
10. Thomas Diamond, TEX
11. Neil Walker, PIT
12. Jered Weaver, ANA
13. Bill Bray, MON
14. Billy Butler, KC
15. Stephen Drew, ARI
16. David Purcey, TOR
17. Scott Elbert, LA
18. Josh Fields, CWS
19. Chris Lambert, STL
20. Trevor Plouffe, MIN
21. Greg Golson, PHI
22. Glen Perkins, MIN
23. Phillip Hughes, NYY
24. Landon Powell, OAK
25 Kyle Waldrop Minnesota Twins 1B Farragut HS

26 Richie Robnett Oakland Athletics OF Fresno State

27 Taylor Tanksersley Florida Marlins P University of Alabama

28 Blake DeWitt Los Angeles Dodgers 3B Sikeston HS

29 Matt Campbell Kansas City Royals P University of South Carolina

30 Eric Hurley Texas Rangers

JRIG
Randar,

He went 12th to Anaheim.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:31 PM
I think they will get lost in this quickly evolving thread. Since I have nothing to contribute on this topic I will have to take what I can get.

If you wait to the end of the day, I'll posts synopses of their picks in a separate thread...

Does that sound good to everyone?

Hondo
06-07-2004, 12:32 PM
what about going to the chat area in the meantime??

34 Inch Stick
06-07-2004, 12:32 PM
If you wait to the end of the day, I'll posts synopses of their picks in a separate thread...

Sounds good to me and thanks.

mcfish
06-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Is there a break between rounds? It seems like they stopped picking for a few minutes.

Fungo

Yeah, the draft goes too fast & I'm sure you like hearing all the picks as well.

Randar68
First round talent still available:

Syzmanski
Ferris
Putnam

Zach Jackson
Orenduff
Jay Rainville
Hoyman
Huston Street

Also add Suzuki and Jaramillo as guys to keep an eye on.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Yeah, the draft goes too fast & I'm sure you like hearing all the picks as well.

After the first 5 rounds, I might start doing some reports on the picks, but there will be 9 Sox picks at that point already...

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Is there a break between rounds? It seems like they stopped picking for a few minutes.

15 minutes at the end of the first round... varies the rest of the day...

34 Inch Stick
06-07-2004, 12:35 PM
You cannot tell me all of the leagues could not run a draft in the same manner. There is no way the NFL needs 15 minutes per pick after an evaluation time of 4 months. Of course ESPN devotes a day to their draft so I guess it pays.

Fungo
06-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Sox pick 34 & 38 in the supplemental round. Good players still on the board.

Over By There
06-07-2004, 12:36 PM
I took this from the draft tracker about Fields, not sure if this is what you're looking for, 34...
BODY SIMILAR TO GREG MADDUX. FULL WINDUP, HIGH 3/4-OVERHEAD. SWINGS LEFT LEG BACK TO CF AT TOP, DRIFTS, MAX EFFORT, RECOIL, HEAD JERK, THROWS ACROSS BODY. MOST FB 89-91, ABILITY TO REACH BACK. CB FLASHES TIGHT, DOWN ROTATION. BOTH PITCHES AROUND K ZONE. ATHLETE. PLAYS RF & SS WHEN NOT PITCHING, CAN HIT THE BALL HARD. MAX EFFORT THROWER.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:37 PM
You cannot tell me all of the leagues could not run a draft in the same manner. There is no way the NFL needs 15 minutes per pick after an evaluation time of 4 months. Of course ESPN devotes a day to their draft so I guess it pays.

Being able to trade picks is a big part of that, plus the in-depth analysis. As big as college football is, a lot of the names are better known...

I like the 15 minutes for the first round of the NFL (could be 10 minutes, IMO) but it does take too long for 5 minutes each for 2nd-3rd round picks...

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Over By There
I took this from the draft tracker about Fields, not sure if this is what you're looking for, 34...

That's definitely not the report for Josh Fields, lol...

Try this one from MLB:

COMMENT: LARGE FRAME. MATURE BODY, HEAVY REAR & LEGS. BODY TYPE SIMILAR TO LANCE BERKMAN. WIDE, SEMI-SQUAT STANCE. BAT PINCHED INTO CHEST. STRENGTH IN SLIGHT UPPERCUT SWING W/ PWR POTENTIAL. ARM PLAYABLE, ACCURATE THROWS. HANDS & DEFENSIVE ACTIONS SHOW PROPER TECHNIC. ALERT BASE RUNNER. PHYSICALLY MATURE. STRENGTH IN SWING, BAT & PWR POTENTIAL.

MRKARNO
06-07-2004, 12:38 PM
BP on Verlander a few days ago:

Justin Verlander, Old Dominion, 3.49 ERA, 105.2 IP, 151 K, 43BB, 8 HR. A handy chart:

Year PAP ERA
2002 510616 1.90
2003 666398 2.40
2004 <100000 3.49

In addition, he served as the staff ace for Team USA over the summer of 2003. Verlander is, by most accounts, a really nice kid, but if your local GM drafts him, think about moving.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2928

Tigers fans have a lot to worry about, according to BP. Maybe they will move to Chicago and become White Sox fans

Over By There
06-07-2004, 12:40 PM
That's definitely not the report for Josh Fields, lol...

Sorry, your highness, there are two Josh Fields in the draft. How about this one.

COMMENT: LARGE FRAME. MATURE BODY, HEAVY REAR & LEGS. BODY TYPE SIMILAR TO LANCE BERKMAN. WIDE, SEMI-SQUAT STANCE. BAT PINCHED INTO CHEST. STRENGTH IN SLIGHT UPPERCUT SWING W/ PWR POTENTIAL. ARM PLAYABLE, ACCURATE THROWS. HANDS & DEFENSIVE ACTIONS SHOW PROPER TECHNIC. ALERT BASE RUNNER. PHYSICALLY MATURE. STRENGTH IN SWING, BAT & PWR POTENTIAL.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Over By There
Sorry, your highness, there are two Josh Fields in the draft. How about this one.

If that's an attempt at humor, there's this thing called "teal". If you're being a prick, save it.

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 12:41 PM
We do need a catcher, but bats like Ferris and Putnam would be really hard to pass up. I could understand if the Sox took Suzuki or Jaramillo, though.

Would the Sox take two hitters with the supplemental picks? I'd go with a pitcher and hitter myself. Again, I really like Zack Jackson.

CWSGuy406
06-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Three minutes away until Round 2.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:43 PM
We do need a catcher, but bats like Ferris and Putnam would be really hard to pass up. I could understand if the Sox took Suzuki or Jaramillo, though.

Would the Sox take two hitters with the supplemental picks? I'd go with a pitcher and hitter myself. Again, I really like Zack Jackson.

It's going to be hard to pass up a pitcher, but they really have some good hitters still on the board, even with the weaknesses of this draft, some bg over-drafts have left some serious talent here that I didn't expect to be here...

Like to see them take the best player available and not worry about position. Huston Street still there? I like Jackson better, but...

bennyw41
06-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Can someone explain what a sandwich pick is?

MRKARNO
06-07-2004, 12:44 PM
The question is, Should we take the best talents available if they are 1st round talents or take a catcher because we need one more? Would there be any decent catchers in the second round?

34 Inch Stick
06-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Being able to trade picks is a big part of that, plus the in-depth analysis. As big as college football is, a lot of the names are better known...

I like the 15 minutes for the first round of the NFL (could be 10 minutes, IMO) but it does take too long for 5 minutes each for 2nd-3rd round picks...

Make it 5 minutes with the possibility of an additional 5 if a trade is being discussed. In order to get the extra 5 you have to reveal other side to commissioner but not to the general public.

CWSGuy406
06-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Can someone explain what a sandwich pick is?

Basically, it's getting compensation for a team that loses a FA. Like, since the Sox were unable to resign Colon and Gordon, they get compensation picks for it. (That's the jist of it, maybe Randar could go more in-depth.)

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:46 PM
The question is, Should we take the best talents available if they are 1st round talents or take a catcher because we need one more? Would there be any decent catchers in the second round?

Lot's of catchers out there but do you pass up on the 2 clear-cut best college catchers in the draft?

We'll find out.

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 12:47 PM

There are a bunch of decent high school catchers that'll be around later in the draft (Poterson, Jeremy's brother Mark Reed, Killian).

Thinking about it more, I don't think the Sox will take a catcher with the supplemental pick. I think they'll take a catcher in round 3-7.

Over By There
06-07-2004, 12:48 PM
If that's an attempt at humor, there's this thing called "teal". If you're being a prick, save it.

Not trying to be a prick any more than you were by "lol-ing" at me. You said you'd post commentary at the end of the day, but (I thought) I had it up on my screen so I thought I'd try to help someone out. I guess I'm supposed to feel sorry about being laughed at for making an honest mistake.

Fungo
5 high school pitchers selected in the 1st round, so the trend towards college pitching continues. I believe last year there were only 2 or 3 selected in the first round.

Randar68
There are a bunch of decent high school catchers that'll be around later in the draft (Poterson, Jeremy's brother Mark Reed, Killian).

Thinking about it more, I don't think the Sox will take a catcher with the supplemental pick. I think they'll take a catcher in round 3-7.

They've got 3 2nd round picks too.

Mark Reed doesn't have a very good arm, IMO, and he throws across his body, resulting in a bit of tail. Smart catcher, but may not stick there...

bennyw41
Basically, it's getting compensation for a team that loses a FA. Like, since the Sox were unable to resign Colon and Gordon, they get compensation picks for it. (That's the jist of it, maybe Randar could go more in-depth.)

I thought that was the supplementary picks.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 12:49 PM
5 high school pitchers selected in the 1st round, so the trend towards college pitching continues. I believe last year there were only 2 or 3 selected in the first round.

This year's picks are more related to the lack of clear-cut HS stars as opposed to a deep college draft in terms of sure-things, although not a lot of #1-potential guys.

Mohoney
06-07-2004, 12:50 PM

You think the Yankees would take him, even after his brother's misadventures there?

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 12:52 PM
FWIW, on the Baseball America blog, Callis has the Sox taking Vargas at 34 and Jaramillo at 38.

mcfish
06-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
You think the Yankees would take him, even after his brother's misadventures there?

It would be a pretty interesting draft if the Yankee's take Weaver, because he went #12 to the Angels.

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Royals take Howell to start supplemental. I didn't think they were going to pass on Ferris.

Jays take Jackson. Damn.

Fungo
06-07-2004, 12:54 PM
here we go..

J.P. Howell to KC

Toronto takes Zach Jackson

Fungo
06-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Sox take Tyler Lumsden from Clemson

Tavarin
White Sox get Tyler Lumsden at 34

Randar68
Sox take Tyler Lumsden from Clemson

That's a good pick.

Both catchers on the board to ChiTown!!

Who's it going to be?

Fungo
06-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Twins take catcher Matt Fox from UCF

Tavarin
06-07-2004, 12:59 PM
White Sox take Gio Gonzalez at 38

Randar68
Originally posted by Tavarin
White Sox take Gio Gonzalez at 38

I want a catcher, but that's a good pick. Legit 1st round talent.

MarkEdward
Wow. Gio Gonzalez goes at 38 to the Sox.

Fungo
Sox take Gio Gonzalez LHP from Miami HS (Monsignor Pace)

mcfish
06-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Does anyone else think it's funny, with all the potential FA's they pick up in July, that the Yankees get 2 supplemental picks? They got one for Pettitte, why didn't they get one for Clemens? Because he skirted the system and "retired?"

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Sox take Gio Gonzalez LHP from Miami HS (Monsignor Pace)

Had some issues with his mother and his HS coach regarding PT for his little brother, something that was a0pparently part of a package deal when he transferred there. Kicked off the team by coach...

As always, I trust, intimately, the Sox' scouting of Southern Florida. Second best HS Lefty in the draft, IMO, if not the best...

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Thoughts on the supplemental round:

Lumsden: I would've been happier with Hoyman, but Lumsden isn't bad. He's a Junior though. Will we have any trouble signing him?

Gonzalez: Well, if we were going to take a high school pitcher, might as well have been this guy. Ferris would've been better IMHO.

I like the Indians draft so far.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:06 PM
5 more picks before the Sox pick again. I think one of the 2 catchers is going to fall to them!

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Syzmanski goes to Cincinnati at #48. Good pick, decent draft for them so far.

Fungo
06-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Detroit got my man Eric Beattie out of the U of Tampa

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:09 PM
One of the 2 catchers will be there for the Sox, as Pitt won't take one, IMO...

2 more picks to go.

More overdrafts...

Tavarin
06-07-2004, 01:11 PM
White Sox get Wes Whisler with their first 2nd round pick

Tavarin
06-07-2004, 01:12 PM
C Erick San Pedro just got taken by the Expos, something must have happened with Suzuki and Jaramillo

Randar68
Sox select at #53:

Wesley Whisler?

Ouch. OVERDRAFT!

mcfish
Does anyone else think it's funny, with all the potential FA's they pick up in July, that the Yankees get 2 supplemental picks? They got one for Pettitte, why didn't they get one for Clemens? Because he skirted the system and "retired?"

Did the Yanks get 2 picks for David Wells? Pick 41 - Jeff Marquez and 42 - Brett Smith both say compensation for David Wells.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:13 PM
C Erick San Pedro just got taken by the Expos, something must have happened with Suzuki and Jaramillo

Signability after the first round?

Randar68

Zeringue just went to Arizona.

bobj4400
who is whisler???

Tavarin
06-07-2004, 01:14 PM

possibly. Another C, Thigpen just got taken.

Tavarin
06-07-2004, 01:15 PM
White Sox get Donny Lucy from Stanford

mcfish
possibly. Another C, Thigpen just got taken.

We should have another chance at our 2 catchers. We pick again soon.

Edit: Well I guess that didn't happen

Randar68
Originally posted by bobj4400
who is whisler???

Power hitting 1B/LHP prospect from UCLA. Listed at 6'5" 225 pounds.

He was listed highly by some services, but not most. Be interesting to see if the Sox make him a 1B or LHP

Sox next pick: Donald Lucy from Stanford. Ahead of Suzuki and Jaramillo?

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Whisler's 2004 stats:
92.2 IP, 5.24 ERA, 60 Ks, 35 BBs, 10 HRs.

Well, we drafted him as a pitcher, yet his hitting stats are better:
.279/.362/.434. If we're going to take a 1B, why not take Ferris?

There's our catcher.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:17 PM
MLB on Lumsden...

COMMENT: MAJOR LEAGUE BODY. MEDIUM-LARGE FRAME, WELL-PROPORTIONED. BROAD, ROUNDED SHOULDERS, STRONG LEGS. ATHLETIC LOOK. SIMILAR TO TERRY MULHOLLAND. SEMI WINDUP. 3/4. COMPACT DELIVERY, LIMITED EFFORT. NO MAJOR MECHANIC FAULTS. SOUND ARM ACTION. NEAR PLUS FB, MOST 90-92, SOME ARM SIDE TAIL, SMALL SINK. WIDE, 3/4 CB. WORKS AHEAD, K'S W/ 3 PITCHES. ARM SPEED ON CHANGEUP, FADE, SINK. CHANGES SPEEDS, HIT SPOTS.

StepsInSC
06-07-2004, 01:17 PM

I just watched him pitch in person Saturday against Georgia. He's got good stuff but he was really inconsistent this past year for us at Clemson.

Also, he's ambidextrious...he's thrown a ball over 80mph right handed in addition to his 90+ fastball left handed. Perhaps he could switch it up in the game to keep the hitters guessing?

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Jaramillo just went to Philly.

Fungo
06-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Jaramillo just went to Texas.

I don't get our last pick. Why ahead of the other 2?

Tavarin
06-07-2004, 01:20 PM

Signability probably

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Pedroia just went to Boston. Suzuki still on the board?

Grant Johnson to the Cubs. No surprise there at all.

Randar68

I can only guess pre-draft deal.

Tavarin
Suzuki goes to Oakland... weird

Fungo
06-07-2004, 01:22 PM
A's just took Suzuki. He's got to be signable if Oakland took him.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Oakland just took Suzuki at 67. Beane's probably got a hard-on after having him fall that far.

Vargas just went one spot ahead of the Sox' pick...

Sox take Raymond Liotta out of Gulf Coast CC. Another somewhat wierd pick.

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 01:23 PM
A's take Suzuki. Good pick.

Here are Lucy's 2004 stats:
.313/.381/.534.

Vargas to the Marlins.

Tavarin
06-07-2004, 01:23 PM
At #69, the White Sox take Raymond Leoda(spelling).

Tavarin
06-07-2004, 01:24 PM
A's just took Suzuki. He's got to be signable if Oakland took him.

Something must have happened to him to fall that far

MRKARNO
06-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Larrish hasnt been taken yet?

HebrewHammer
06-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Oakland just took Suzuki at 67. Beane's probably got a hard-on after having him fall that far.

Vargas just went one spot ahead of the Sox' pick...

Sox take Raymond Liotta out of Gulf Coast CC. Another somewhat wierd pick.

We just drafted Ray Liotta? This guy better make it to the major leagues, I'm envisioning the entire upper deck filled with guys wearing Liotta 37 jersey t-shirts. I never got to see Kenny Rogers in a Sox uniform, this guy making it would almost make up for that.

Randar68
Donny Lucy from TeamOneBaseball...

Lucy was a 1st or 2nd Round talent as a H.S. senior but as with all of the Stanford signees, scouts passed him up in the Draft.
Defensively, Lucy is a budding star behind the plate. He is a big, strong player with solid receiving skills and an excellent arm. Offensively, Lucy has plus speed for a catcher but needs to improve a swing that at present does not maximize the power that exists in his large frame.

From BA:
Lucy bided his time for two years at Stanford, waiting for his chance to supplant Ryan Garko as the everyday catcher. At 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, he's always looked the part of a high-round draft pick and he made the most of his opportunity this spring, upgrading his game in all areas. In addition to athletic ability, he brought a lot of energy to the position, while making big strides at the plate. He showed flashes of power while laying off breaking pitches out of the strike zone better than he has in the past. He was a main cog in Stanford's record-breaking offense, hitting .314 with 11 homers. He has always run well for a catcher and brings a lot of intangibles to the table.

34 Inch Stick
At #69, the White Sox take Raymond Leoda(spelling).

I hear he can play the outfield as well as Shoeless Joe. He will be great in the Iowa league.

mcfish
06-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by HebrewHammer
We just drafted Ray Liotta? This guy better make it to the major leagues, I'm envisioning the entire upper deck filled with guys wearing Liotta 37 jersey t-shirts. I never got to see Kenny Rogers in a Sox uniform, this guy making it would almost make up for that.

Keep him away from Anthony Hopkins...

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:31 PM
I hear he can play the outfield as well as Shoeless Joe. He will be great in the Iowa league.

Still trying to find out about him, but here'a tidbit from BA on Whisler:

Whisler led the Pacific-10 Conference in home runs in 2002 as a freshman and was the Cape Cod League's top prospect that summer. The 6-foot-5, 227-pound Indiana high school product looked then like a candidate for the top of the first round in the 2004 draft. How things have changed. Whisler has regressed so much as a hitter that his greater worth is now on the mound--even after he went 2-4, 5.26 this season. He shows plenty of power in batting practice, but his bat speed has slowed and most of his power is to the opposite field. He hit .275-5-39 this spring. Whisler has also fallen short of expectations as a pitcher, but he has recognized that his future is on the mound. On a good day, he has been clocked at 93-94 mph with a good, hard slider. He has a four-pitch repertoire, but rarely does the sum of his stuff equal the parts. He throws everything too hard, his command is shaky and hitters have an easy time reading pitches out of his hand. Yet Whisler still has a lot of positives, in addition to being lefthanded. He has a big frame and above-average arm strength, and he's never been hurt. Scouts know the talent is there and are banking that he'll do better as a pro, once he can concentrate on one role. He projects as a third- to fifth-rounder.

Dadawg_77
06-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Josh Fields numbers at OSU.

http://www.boydsworld.com/cgi/hitters.pl?player=Josh+Fields&style=Contains&submit=Search&team=Oklahoma+State

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Schlact is a good pick for Texas in the 3rd round. Very projectable.

Fungo
06-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Still trying to find out about him, but here'a tidbit from BA on Whisler:

Whisler led the Pacific-10 Conference in home runs in 2002 as a freshman and was the Cape Cod League's top prospect that summer. The 6-foot-5, 227-pound Indiana high school product looked then like a candidate for the top of the first round in the 2004 draft. How things have changed. Whisler has regressed so much as a hitter that his greater worth is now on the mound--even after he went 2-4, 5.26 this season. He shows plenty of power in batting practice, but his bat speed has slowed and most of his power is to the opposite field. He hit .275-5-39 this spring. Whisler has also fallen short of expectations as a pitcher, but he has recognized that his future is on the mound. On a good day, he has been clocked at 93-94 mph with a good, hard slider. He has a four-pitch repertoire, but rarely does the sum of his stuff equal the parts. He throws everything too hard, his command is shaky and hitters have an easy time reading pitches out of his hand. Yet Whisler still has a lot of positives, in addition to being lefthanded. He has a big frame and above-average arm strength, and he's never been hurt. Scouts know the talent is there and are banking that he'll do better as a pro, once he can concentrate on one role. He projects as a third- to fifth-rounder.

From MLB.com...

COMMENT: MUSCULAR, WELL DEFINED ARMS & LEGS. NO WINDUP, HIGH 3/4 ARM. SIDE STEP TO START. AVG LEG LIFT. SMOOTH, EASY, DELIBERATE DELIVERY. SHORT, COMPACT ARM IN BACK. AVG FB, SAT ON 90-91. TIGHT ROTATION ON HARD, 3/4 PLANE SLIDER. GOOD MOTION ON TAILING CHANGEUP. AROUND PLATE W/ ALL PITCHES. SMALL ADJUSTMENTS IN DELIVERY COULD MAKE BIG DIFFERENCE. PLAYS 1B WHEN NOT PITCHING. QUALITY YOUNG MAN.

34 Inch Stick
06-07-2004, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Randar68
[B]Still trying to find out about him, but here'a tidbit from BA on Whisler:

I know you are deep into this Randar but I was making a word play on Ray Liotta who played shoeless joe.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:36 PM
From MLB.com...

COMMENT: MUSCULAR, WELL DEFINED ARMS & LEGS. NO WINDUP, HIGH 3/4 ARM. SIDE STEP TO START. AVG LEG LIFT. SMOOTH, EASY, DELIBERATE DELIVERY. SHORT, COMPACT ARM IN BACK. AVG FB, SAT ON 90-91. TIGHT ROTATION ON HARD, 3/4 PLANE SLIDER. GOOD MOTION ON TAILING CHANGEUP. AROUND PLATE W/ ALL PITCHES. SMALL ADJUSTMENTS IN DELIVERY COULD MAKE BIG DIFFERENCE. PLAYS 1B WHEN NOT PITCHING. QUALITY YOUNG MAN.

Yep, seems to be a pick that is banking on the low-mileage arm with a ton of projectability. For being short in RH'd arms, we've taken nothing but lefties, LOL!

Dadawg_77

His numbers

http://www.boydsworld.com/cgi/pitchers.pl?player=Tyler+Lumsden&style=Contains&submit=Search&team=any

Randar68

I know you are deep into this Randar but I was making a word play on Ray Liotta who played shoeless joe.

I know, I caught that... still trying to find some concrete info on him.... more later.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Here come the Sox... watch out for Mark Reed.

Fungo
06-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Sox take Matt Hanson RHP Oklahoma City University

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Sox take Matt "Grant" Hanson.

He's a 6'6" RHP.

joecrede
06-07-2004, 01:40 PM
I don't mind the first 3 picks.

I'll say this though I wish Doug Laumann were running the draft.

Fungo
Sox take Matt "Grant" Hanson.

He's a 6'6" RHP.

From BA...

Grant Hansen

After pitching a total of 38 innings in his first two seasons, in part because he had biceps tendinitis as a sophomore, Hansen has put up gaudy numbers for an Oklahoma City team with one of the gaudiest records in college baseball. He was 12-0, 2.55 with 93 strikeouts in 81 innings for the Stars, who were 70-5 and entered the NAIA World Series as the No. 1 seed. Hansen threw well for scouts in March, then tailed off a little bit before rebounding. At his best, he throws 90-94 mph and shows a knuckle-curve that drops off the table. At other times, he sits at 88-91 with a more ordinary breaking ball. Hansen has a classic pitching build at 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds. His delivery is clean and there aren't many miles on his arm. He could be a fourth- or fifth-rounder for a club that saw one of his better outings.

HebrewHammer

"Is this heaven?"

:ozzie
"I make the &(%*#@ Lineup!!!!"

Dadawg_77
06-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Sox select at #53:

Wesley Whisler?

Ouch. OVERDRAFT!

his numbers

http://www.boydsworld.com/cgi/pitchers.pl?player=Whisler&style=Contains&submit=Search&team=any

MRKARNO
Ray Liotta:

COMMENT: BIG & TALL. STRONG, RAW-BONED BUILD. GOOD STRENGTH THROUGHOUT. BUILD SIMILAR TO ANDY PETTITTE. HIGH 3/4 TO OVERHEAD DELIVERY. FB MOSTLY 86-87 W/ SOME LATE TAILING ACTION. GOOD ARM EXTENTION, FRONT & BACK. CB OCCAISION TIGHT ROTATION W/ LATE BREAK. DURABLE BODY THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU INNGS. DID NOT PITCH ALL OF LAST YR.

Matt Hansen:

COMMENT: EXTRA-TALL, ANGULAR, WELL PROPORTIONED, PITCHER'S BUILD. SIMILAR BODY TYPE AS TODD VAN POPPEL. NO WINDUP, HIGH 3/4 DELIVERY. LOOSE ARM, EASY ACTION. FB VELOCITY AVG, OCCAISIONAL ABOVE AVG W/ RIDING LIFE. CB ROTATION TIGHT, HARD, 3/4 W/ STRIKE ZONE BITE. PHYSICALLY IMPRESSIVE. FB & CB POTENTIAL, CHANGEUP WILL IMPROVE.

From mlb.com

Dadawg_77
White Sox get Donny Lucy from Stanford

http://www.boydsworld.com/cgi/hitters.pl?player=Lucy&style=Contains&submit=Search&team=any

MarkEdward
Stats on Hansen:
13-0, 2.42 ERA, 89.1 IP, 99 Ks, 45 BBs.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:42 PM
I don't mind the first 3 picks.

I'll say this though I wish Doug Laumann were running the draft.

Here we go again. If you're subordinate at your job, would you keep it?

MOVE

ON

JRIG
06-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Yep, seems to be a pick that is banking on the low-mileage arm with a ton of projectability. For being short in RH'd arms, we've taken nothing but lefties, LOL!

Sounds a lot like Danny Wright, no?

Fungo
06-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Stats on Hansen:
13-0, 2.42 ERA, 89.1 IP, 99 Ks, 45 BBs.

Oklahoma City finished 2nd to Cumberland in the NAIA College Worls Series with a 73-7 record

cubs take Jeremy's brother Mark Reed.

mcfish
It seems like we are concentrating mainly on pitching today, with 2 notable exceptions. Does this surprise anyone who is very up to date on this subject?

Do we have 1 pick per round from here on to the end?

Dadawg_77
If Mark makes it, can anyone see the story comparing Sox vs Cubs as the Civil War, Brother vs Brother.

Randar68
Originally posted by JRIG
Sounds a lot like Danny Wright, no?

No. If anything Tyler Lumsden would be closest to a LH-version, IMO.

CWSGuy406
06-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Boo as Cubs take Mark Reed. Boo.

joecrede
Here we go again. If you're subordinate at your job, would you keep it?

MOVE

ON

Fair enough. How about I would rather someone other than Schaeffer in that position. Meet with your approval?

Tragg
Ray Liotta:

COMMENT: BIG & TALL. STRONG, RAW-BONED BUILD. GOOD STRENGTH THROUGHOUT. BUILD SIMILAR TO ANDY PETTITTE. HIGH 3/4 TO OVERHEAD DELIVERY. FB MOSTLY 86-87 W/ SOME LATE TAILING ACTION. GOOD ARM EXTENTION, FRONT & BACK. CB OCCAISION TIGHT ROTATION W/ LATE BREAK. DURABLE BODY THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU INNGS. DID NOT PITCH ALL OF LAST YR.

Matt Hansen:

COMMENT: EXTRA-TALL, ANGULAR, WELL PROPORTIONED, PITCHER'S BUILD. SIMILAR BODY TYPE AS TODD VAN POPPEL. NO WINDUP, HIGH 3/4 DELIVERY. LOOSE ARM, EASY ACTION. FB VELOCITY AVG, OCCAISIONAL ABOVE AVG W/ RIDING LIFE. CB ROTATION TIGHT, HARD, 3/4 W/ STRIKE ZONE BITE. PHYSICALLY IMPRESSIVE. FB & CB POTENTIAL, CHANGEUP WILL IMPROVE.

From mlb.com

If this is the same Ray Liotta who as at Tulane for 2 years, all I can say is that he left because he wasn't going to get PT. Maybe he improved, maybe Rick Jones can't judge talent, I don't know. He was a great high school pitcher in NO but didn't do squat for us in college.

MarkEdward
Windsor's a good pick for the A's. Very good control.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:46 PM
It seems like we are concentrating mainly on pitching today, with 2 notable exceptions. Does this surprise anyone who is very up to date on this subject?

Do we have 1 pick per round from here on to the end?

Not surprising, and yes.

I'm surprised the Sox didn't take Syzmanski or either of Jaramillo/Suzuki when they had the chances. They seemed high on Jaramillo and Syzmanski at the very least.

JRIG
06-07-2004, 01:47 PM
No. If anything Tyler Lumsden would be closest to a LH-version, IMO.

Sorry. I was thinking of the low-mileage arm with projectability, which is what I thought Wright was too.

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Brewers take Josh Baker in the fourth round. Good pick. Overshadowed because of Humber/Neimann/Townsend.

Fungo
06-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Brewers take Josh Baker in the fourth round. Good pick. Overshadowed because of Humber/Neimann/Townsend.
Good pick indeed. Filled in nicely for Rice with Niemannn's injurys this year.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Sorry. I was thinking of the low-mileage arm with projectability, which is what I thought Wright was too.

Ryan Wing is a more apt comparison, although Whisler has better physical projectability.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Sox up, Tommy Lasorda cracks me up.

joecrede
06-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Not surprising, and yes.

I'm surprised the Sox didn't take Syzmanski or either of Jaramillo/Suzuki when they had the chances. They seemed high on Jaramillo and Syzmanski at the very least.

Gonzalez is going to be a difficult sign. They wouldn't have been able to afford him and Syzmanski and/or Jaramillo IMO.

MarkEdward
If we were going to take a UCLA pitcher, why couldn't it have been Janssen?

Sell Jerry Sell!
I've been a little busy a work and haven't had a chance to keep up with the draft. any word on James Happ, LHP from Northwestern? he is the brother of my cousin's girlfriend, let me know. I hope the sox get him, very good pitcher

Fungo
Sox up, Tommy Lasorda cracks me up.

I like following Lasorda in the draft. He's got that distinct voice and you know the Sox are up next.

mcfish
06-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Sox pick Lucas Harrell according to mlb.com video feed.

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Sell Jerry Sell!
I've been a little busy a work and haven't had a chance to keep up with the draft. any word on James Happ, LHP from Northwestern? he is the brother of my cousin's girlfriend, let me know. I hope the sox get him, very good pitcher

He went to the Phillies in the third round.

MRKARNO
Lucas Harrell

COMMENT: TALL, STRONG, COMPACT FRAME. THICK, BARREL CHEST. MUSCULAR THIGHS & LEGS. FUTURE STRENGTH GAINS MINIMAL. NO WINDUP, 3/4 ANGLE. RIDING LIFE & OCCAISIONAL PLUS SINK TO FB, MOST SOLID AVG, 90-91. STRENGTH TO GENERATE VELOCITY. QUALITY 3/4 TILT SLIDER, HARD, SHARP ROTATION, K VALUE. AGGRESSIVE, ATTACKS HITTERS. BETTER VELOCITY & ADDITION OF SLIDER HAS INCREASED PLAYER'S VALUE.

Fungo
Sox pick Lucas Harold according to mlb.com video feed.

From BA...

RHP Lucas Harrell should be the third Missouri high school player drafted, in part because he plans on attending junior college and not a four-year school. He relies almost exclusively on his fastball, which sits at 90-93 mph.

jabrch
06-07-2004, 02:08 PM
forget it - fixed it - cache issues

Fungo
06-07-2004, 02:09 PM
First 4 round recap for the Sox picks with excerpt from MLB.com

JOSHUA FIELDS OKLAHOMA ST U 3B R/R 6'2" 210 1982-12-14 4YR

TYLER LUMSDEN CLEMSON U LHP L/L 6'3" 200 1983-05-09 4YR

COMMENT: MAJOR LEAGUE BODY. MEDIUM-LARGE FRAME, WELL-PROPORTIONED. BROAD, ROUNDED SHOULDERS, STRONG LEGS. ATHLETIC LOOK. SIMILAR TO TERRY MULHOLLAND. SEMI WINDUP. 3/4. COMPACT DELIVERY, LIMITED EFFORT. NO MAJOR MECHANIC
FAULTS. SOUND ARM ACTION. NEAR PLUS FB, MOST 90-92, SOME ARM SIDE TAIL, SMALL SINK. WIDE, 3/4 CB. WORKS AHEAD, K'S W/ 3 PITCHES. ARM SPEED ON CHANGEUP, FADE, SINK. CHANGES SPEEDS, HIT SPOTS.

GIOVANY GONZALEZ MONSIGNOR EDWARD PACE HS LHP R/L 5'11" 180 1985-09-19 HS

COMMENT: MEDIUM BUILD. ATHLETIC FRAME. ROUND SHOULDERS. STRONG LOWER HALF. BODY TYPE SIMILAR TO A SMALLER BARRY ZITO. NO WINDUP, 3/4 ARM. HIGH LEG KICK. CLEAN ARM ACTION. SMOOTH DELIVERY. EXPLOSIVE FB, TAIL ACTION AWAY
FROM RHH. 12 TO 6 BREAK CB W/ TIGHT ROTATION. DECEPTION CHANGEUP W/ LATE TUMBLE IN ZONE. GOOD COMMAND, MOVES BALL IN & OUT WELL. YOUNG LHP W/ ELECTRIC STUFF. PITCHES AT 90-92, 93-94 WHEN NEEDED & A HAMMER FOR A CB.
GOES AFTER HITTERS.

WESLEY WHISLER U CALIFORNIA LHP L/L 6'5" 235 1983-04-07

COMMENT: MUSCULAR, WELL DEFINED ARMS & LEGS. NO WINDUP, HIGH 3/4 ARM. SIDE STEP TO START. AVG LEG LIFT. SMOOTH, EASY, DELIBERATE DELIVERY. SHORT, COMPACT ARM IN BACK. AVG FB, SAT ON 90-91. TIGHT ROTATION ON HARD, 3/4
PLANE SLIDER. GOOD MOTION ON TAILING CHANGEUP. AROUND PLATE W/ ALL PITCHES. SMALL ADJUSTMENTS IN DELIVERY COULD MAKE BIG DIFFERENCE. PLAYS 1B WHEN NOT PITCHING. QUALITY YOUNG MAN.

DONALD LUCY STANFORD U C R/R 6'3" 210 1982-08-08 4YR

COMMENT: ML BODY. LARGE, DURABLE FRAME. MUSCULAR BUILD, VERY STRONG. BROAD, ROUNDED SHOULDERS. BARRELL CHEST. TRIM WAIST, WELL DEVELOPED THIGHS. SPREAD STANCE, WEIGHT SLIGHTLY ON BACKSIDE. VERY STRONG & DURABLE. SOUND HITTING MECHANICS, LEVEL THROUGH ZONE W/ MILD LOFT FOR HR POTENTIAL. MATURE, WORKS WELL W/ PITCHERS. SOFT, SURE HANDS, BLOCKS WELL. VERY ATHLETIC. RUNS WELL
FOR SIZE. ML BODY NOW W/ SKILLS TO BE SOLID CATCH & THROW. COMES TO WORK EVERYDAY. HARD NOSED. READY TO GO OUT NOW.

RAYMOND LIOTTA GULF COAST CC LHP L/L 6'3" 220 1983-04-03 JR

COMMENT: BIG & TALL. STRONG, RAW-BONED BUILD. GOOD STRENGTH THROUGHOUT. BUILD SIMILAR TO ANDY PETTITTE. HIGH 3/4 TO OVERHEAD DELIVERY. FB MOSTLY 86-87 W/ SOME LATE TAILING ACTION. GOOD ARM EXTENTION, FRONT & BACK. CB OCCAISION TIGHT ROTATION W/ LATE BREAK. DURABLE BODY THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU INNGS. DID NOT PITCH ALL OF LAST YR

MATTHEW HANSEN OKLAHOMA CITY U RHP R/R 6'6" 225 1983-02-25 4YR

LUCAS HARRELL OZARK HS RHP S/R 6'2" 200 1985-06-03 HS

COMMENT: TALL, STRONG, COMPACT FRAME. THICK, BARREL CHEST. MUSCULAR THIGHS & LEGS. FUTURE STRENGTH GAINS MINIMAL. NO WINDUP, 3/4 ANGLE. RIDING LIFE & OCCAISIONAL PLUS SINK TO FB, MOST SOLID AVG, 90-91. STRENGTH TO GENERATE VELOCITY. QUALITY 3/4 TILT SLIDER, HARD, SHARP ROTATION, K VALUE. AGGRESSIVE, ATTACKS HITTERS. BETTER VELOCITY & ADDITION OF SLIDER HAS INCREASED PLAYER'S VALUE.

Hondo
06-07-2004, 02:10 PM
A couple of quick questions from a relative newbie to drafts.

-How many rounds is the draft?

-Is there any specific reason why occasionally they'll ask the moderator to change the player's position?

Tekijawa
06-07-2004, 02:10 PM
From BA...

RHP Lucas Harrell should be the third Missouri high school player drafted, in part because he plans on attending junior college and not a four-year school. He relies almost exclusively on his fastball, which sits at 90-93 mph.

Sounds like Koch??? Does he also bounce the ball 5 feet infron of the plate with the bases loaded too?

Philo-Sox-er
06-07-2004, 02:11 PM
50 Rounds in the Draft--two day affair.

Tavarin
06-07-2004, 02:12 PM
From BA:

18. White Sox: Josh Fields, 3b, Oklahoma State

Fields should hit for average and power, and he's patient enough to take walks when he's pitched around. The Cowboys thought about moving him to first base last fall because he's raw at the hot corner, but he has stayed at third and should be a solid defender in time. He moves well, has good hands and a strong, accurate arm. He just needs more repetitions, which will come when he gives up football, in order to improve his reads and instincts.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 02:14 PM
After watching Hansen's video, I'm impressed. He stands pretty straight, but has a very easy/fluid delivery and hides the ball decently. He doesn't have much of a leg drive, and he seems like he's pretty well filled-out already.

Like the looks of him, but definitely pretty raw.

HebrewHammer
06-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Randar-

I know these guys have just been picked, but is there any ETA on these guys to reach the majors? Also, Fields sounds like by far the most polished of the group, is that accurate?

Philo-Sox-er
06-07-2004, 02:20 PM
From Rob Neyer's column at ESPN.com:

10 WORST NO. 1 PICKS
1. Steve Chilcott (Mets, 1966)
2. Brien Taylor (Yankees, 1991)
3. Danny Goodwin (Angels, 1975)
4. Tim Belcher (Twins, 1983)
5. Josh Hamilton (D-Rays, 1999)
6. Al Chambers (M's, 1979)
7. Shawn Abner (Mets, 1984)
8. Ron Blomberg (Yankees, 1967)
9. David Clyde (Rangers, 1966)
10. Mike Ivie (Padres, 1970)

FIVE BEST NO. 1 PICKS
1. Ken Griffey, Jr. (M's, 1987)
2. Alex Rodriguez (M's, 1993)
3. Chipper Jones (Braves, 1990)
4. Harold Baines (ChiSox, 1977)
5. Darryl Strawberry (Mets, 1980)

Honorable Mention: Rick Monday, Andy Benes, Mike Moore, Floyd Bannister, Shawon Dunston.

Tavarin
06-07-2004, 02:22 PM
White Sox take OF/1B Brandon Allen in the 5th round

HebrewHammer
Originally posted by Philo-Sox-er
From Rob Neyer's column at ESPN.com:

10 WORST NO. 1 PICKS
1. Steve Chilcott (Mets, 1966)
2. Brien Taylor (Yankees, 1991)
3. Danny Goodwin (Angels, 1975)
4. Tim Belcher (Twins, 1983)
5. Josh Hamilton (D-Rays, 1999)
6. Al Chambers (M's, 1979)
7. Shawn Abner (Mets, 1984)
8. Ron Blomberg (Yankees, 1967)
9. David Clyde (Rangers, 1966)
10. Mike Ivie (Padres, 1970)

FIVE BEST NO. 1 PICKS
1. Ken Griffey, Jr. (M's, 1987)
2. Alex Rodriguez (M's, 1993)
3. Chipper Jones (Braves, 1990)
4. Harold Baines (ChiSox, 1977)
5. Darryl Strawberry (Mets, 1980)

Honorable Mention: Rick Monday, Andy Benes, Mike Moore, Floyd Bannister, Shawon Dunston.

How were Clyde and Chilcott taken #1 in the same year?

Randar68
Originally posted by HebrewHammer
Randar-

I know these guys have just been picked, but is there any ETA on these guys to reach the majors? Also, Fields sounds like by far the most polished of the group, is that accurate?

Fields is a couple years away, and everyone else is probably 3 years away or more. Lumsden's ETA is highly dependent upon the Sox getting his mechanics consistent. Gonzalez is probably the highest ceiling pick so far.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 02:23 PM
White Sox take OF/1B Brandon Allen in the 5th round

Lot's of HS prospects from the Sox. Passing on some good pitching still...

Devin Ivany is still out there, no? Probably going to be a tough sign at this point...

Tavarin
06-07-2004, 02:24 PM
BA on Brandon Allen

Brandon Allen, of

School: Montgomery HS Class: Sr.
Hometown: Montgomery, Texas
B-T: L-R Ht.: 6-2 Wt.: 235

Scouting Report: Allen had Division I-A football potential as a linebacker, but his ability to punish a baseball is more impressive than his ability to punish ballcarriers. There's a lot of raw lefthander power packed in his 6-foot-1, 225-pound frame, which reminds one scout of a smaller version of Phillies minor league slugger Ryan Howard. The question is how well Allen can tap into it. He actually performed better with wood bats last summer than he has with aluminum this spring, when he hit .329 with just two homers. His ability to make contact is an issue, though his supporters believe he'll improve once he devotes himself to baseball full time. A University of Houston recruit, Allen is a very good athlete for his size. He's a solid average runner who plays a competent left field. With teams desperately seeking position players in the 2004 draft, Allen could have been a first-round pick with a strong season. Instead, he'll have to settle for the second or third round.

Randar68
06-07-2004, 02:26 PM
BA on Brandon Allen

Brandon Allen, of

School: Montgomery HS Class: Sr.
Hometown: Montgomery, Texas
B-T: L-R Ht.: 6-2 Wt.: 235

Scouting Report: Allen had Division I-A football potential as a linebacker, but his ability to punish a baseball is more impressive than his ability to punish ballcarriers. There's a lot of raw lefthander power packed in his 6-foot-1, 225-pound frame, which reminds one scout of a smaller version of Phillies minor league slugger Ryan Howard. The question is how well Allen can tap into it. He actually performed better with wood bats last summer than he has with aluminum this spring, when he hit .329 with just two homers. His ability to make contact is an issue, though his supporters believe he'll improve once he devotes himself to baseball full time. A University of Houston recruit, Allen is a very good athlete for his size. He's a solid average runner who plays a competent left field. With teams desperately seeking position players in the 2004 draft, Allen could have been a first-round pick with a strong season. Instead, he'll have to settle for the second or third round.

Be interesting to see if they claim he is a 2-sport athlete. We'll have to see if he had any scholarship offers in football...

Hondo
06-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Is there a database of the eligible players somewhere?

Randar68
06-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Is there a database of the eligible players somewhere?

MLB.com has one, most others require subscriptions...

Fungo
06-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Lot's of HS prospects from the Sox. Passing on some good pitching still...

Devin Ivany is still out there, no? Probably going to be a tough sign at this point...

Ivany is still out there. I wouldn't mind another cather or 2 myself.

I like the write-up on Brandon Allen. Seems like a strong kig from the video. I like Hansen as well. Big body.

MarkEdward
06-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Allen looks like a decent pick. Second- or third-round talent who fell to the fifth-round. So far, I'm happy with the Fields, Lumsden, Gonzalez, Lucy, Allen and Hansen picks. I still don't know why we took Whisler, especially with guys like Ferris, Zeringue, and the college catchers available.

Melillo's an odd pick for the A's. Not many walks this year, though he did hit very well in 2003.

Vsahajpal
06-07-2004, 02:37 PM
This is tiring

jabrch
06-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
This is tiring

Go to bed
:)