PDA

View Full Version : A Met Fan who see the Sox fan plight

Joe Mac
06-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Hey Guys,

I just got back from a business trip in Chicago and I wanted to come over here and tell you guys Sox fans rule. My company sent us to Wrigley on Friday and even though I love the park, to me it's a glorified booze-fest. I am sure there are some true Cubs fans out there, but I found in my three days in the bars that Sox fans are more knowledgeable about the game compared to the Cub fans. Most Cub fans I found are young girls who are fans because "Prior is cute." That's the same thing we get out here with the Yankees except change the name to Jeter.

Anyway I did venture to Cominsky on Saturday and took pictures around the park (Also too a few swings at the old Home Plate). I think your stadium is beautiful and gets no love from the Cub fans.

Anyway, being in the same position in NY (And we are competing with a team that actually wins World Series), I wanted to come over here and tell you that I am rooting for the Sox to do well. Maybe we can have a Mets-Sox Series one day.

Good Luck,

Joe

WSox8404
06-07-2004, 12:49 AM
Gracias, Joe. At least some other fans around the country know what kind of crap we have to put up with. I know that the Mets are the second team, but we can see why. The Yankmees actually win. The Cubs don't. So you see, it is much more crazy that we have to put up with this. It is understandable to have to put up with Yankme BS all of the time, but there is no reason for this insanity here.

Frankfan4life
06-07-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the kind words but you caught us at a very bad time. We just got our butts handed to us by Seattle and we are p1ssed!

I know Mets fans can appreciate what Sox fans are going through in terms of the media. I wish the Mets the best of luck.

Also thanks for calling The Cell, Comisky (watch that spelling), we still like that name too, and it is a cool ballpark.

Joe Mac
06-07-2004, 01:45 AM
BTW Ginter is pitching well for us. How is Timo doing for you?

SOXintheBURGH
06-07-2004, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the love from NYC, I still call it Comiskey too, although....

Originally posted by Joe Mac
BTW Ginter is pitching well for us. How is Timo doing for you?

Um. Not good.

SSN721
06-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Ah the Mets, really the only team in New York I dont hate. Its really hard to in my opinion. Thank you very much for the kind words. I know we can all sympathize with the situation Mets fans must be under. Playing second fiddle is never fun. I have been realtively happy with the Timo pickup myself. Glad to hear that Ginter is workign out for you guys. Good luck and best wishes for your season and the coming ones. :gulp: :D:

BigEdWalsh
06-07-2004, 07:41 AM
Hey Joe!
I've been a Mets fan (2nd favorite team, sorry) since day 1 and kinda a huge fan since the summer of 1964 when I went to a game at Shea (unfortunately my only time). I saw the Mets beat the Cubs. It was great.
It's true that the Mets and Sox have a lot in common both being "the other team" in a major market 2-team city. And too, when the Mets got good they were a team much like the Sox at that time; weak hitting, very good pitching. My 2 favorite Mets pitchers, Seaver and Koosman came to the Sox and became my favorite Sox pitchers.
LET'S GO METS!
GO SOX!
:)

Baby Fisk
06-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Hey Joe Mac,

I just bought "The Bad Guys Won!" and look forward to reading it soon. I remember following the 86 playoffs almost fanatically, despite the White Sox being nowhere near them... :(:

Anyway, there's a few folks here with a soft spot for the Mets. Best of luck knocking off Florida & Philly!

BTW -- why do the Mets have like 9 different uniform combinations?! It's insane! The black & blue look is OK and it's grown on me, but nothing beats those classic pinstripes with the blue & orange caps! :cool:

greenpeach
06-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Joe, I was born in Jackson Hts & lived in New York for most of my childhood. Everyone in my family, including my dad, is a die-hard Yankee fan. I grew up as the lone Met fan. It was really rough sometimes. However, I can tell you from my own personal experience that the New York media is much more even-handed when it comes to covering both teams. If the Yankees are doing well, then they get a little more pub & if the Mets are doing better the same rule of thumb applies. But in Chicago, the media is much more slanted & biased in the Cubs favor regardless of which team is doing better. It's almost as biased as CNN's coverage of the Democrats as opposed to the Republicans.

thecell
06-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
Also thanks for calling The Cell, Comisky (watch that spelling), we still like that name too, and it is a cool ballpark.

You may want to watch your spelling too...lol. It's Comiskey.

:)

HomeFish
06-07-2004, 03:57 PM
I can't thank you guys enough for taking away championships from teams I hate in 1969 and 1986. I wasn't following baseball at either time (heck, I wasn't even alive in 1969), but I appreciate it nonetheless.

greenpeach
06-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
I can't thank you guys enough for taking away championships from teams I hate in 1969 and 1986. I wasn't following baseball at either time (heck, I wasn't even alive in 1969), but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Older Cub fans I know still get teary-eyed talking about the 1969 Cubs. In my mind, that was the best Cubs team in my lifetime. It was also the biggest Cub choke job in the last 50 years. I know that's saying a lot too ! :whiner:

Joe Mac
06-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Hey Joe Mac,

I just bought "The Bad Guys Won!" and look forward to reading it soon. I remember following the 86 playoffs almost fanatically, despite the White Sox being nowhere near them... :(:

Anyway, there's a few folks here with a soft spot for the Mets. Best of luck knocking off Florida & Philly!

BTW -- why do the Mets have like 9 different uniform combinations?! It's insane! The black & blue look is OK and it's grown on me, but nothing beats those classic pinstripes with the blue & orange caps! :cool:

You will love the book. Here is my interview with Jeff Pearlman (http://www.mofosports.net/news/mets/1081912222.html) .

And yeah I like the classic blue as well.

Joe Mac
06-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by greenpeach
Older Cub fans I know still get teary-eyed talking about the 1969 Cubs. In my mind, that was the best Cubs team in my lifetime. It was also the biggest Cub choke job in the last 50 years. I know that's saying a lot too ! :whiner:

When I tried to explain 1969 and why the Cubs lost to a few Cub fans over the weekend, they gave me a real confused look.

Anyway if the Mets don't get Freddy Garcia then I hope the Sox do.

Railsplitter
06-07-2004, 09:17 PM
I, like perhaps others around here, pulled for the Angels in 2002 because I was happy to see them get out of the Dodgers' shadow.

One things that's irked me about Schlub fans is the fact the speak of the "hated" Mets, yet wallow in the "Lovable Losers" image the Mets pioneered.

elrod
06-08-2004, 12:04 AM
I've been a Mets fan all my life - longer than I was a Sox fan. The reason I'm a White Sox fan, actually, is because in 1982 (the first year I followed baseball) Jerry Koosman was on the White Sox. I've always hated the Cubs - though more because they used to compete with the Mets for second-to-last place, not because of Chicago. I never set foot in Chicago until 1992.

I don't think the NY media gives the Mets a whole lot of attention either, but they did in 1999-2000 when the Mets were good.

There is nothing more despicable than the Cubs calling themselves the "lovable losers". The 1962-1968 were the consommate lovable losers. I bring up 1969 to every Cub fan I know. For a long time the team I despised more than any other was the Yankees. But since moving to Chicago in 2000 the Cubs have replaced the Yankees in my pantheon of hatred.

Baby Fisk
06-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Joe Mac
You will love the book. Here is my interview with Jeff Pearlman (http://www.mofosports.net/news/mets/1081912222.html) .

And yeah I like the classic blue as well.

Cool interview. I'm sure there's an explanation behind the name, but MOFO Sports is a wicked name. That's hilarious! :cool:

Hangar18
06-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Joe, thanks for the kind words, and like-wise.
I have a question for you ....... What are your FEELINGS,
on your teams uniforms? Do you like the Black Cap w Blue Brim?
the Black jerseys? the Solid White uniforms?

Joe Mac
06-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Cool interview. I'm sure there's an explanation behind the name, but MOFO Sports is a wicked name. That's hilarious! :cool:

MOFO = Mets Online Fan Forum, which was the name of the message board before I built the site around it.

voodoochile
06-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Go Mets for the next three days...

Joe Mac
06-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Joe, thanks for the kind words, and like-wise.
I have a question for you ....... What are your FEELINGS,
on your teams uniforms? Do you like the Black Cap w Blue Brim?
the Black jerseys? the Solid White uniforms?

They are trying to sell uniforms and hats, that's why they wear it. The bright Orange batting practice jerseys are the worst.