PDA

View Full Version : Any Seattle trade talks need to include Guardado.

Win1ForMe
06-06-2004, 11:19 PM
They can have Borchard or Reed. We need a closer. Neither Shingo nor Marte are long-term closer answers; each is better in the setup role (and really, moving one up would leave a hole in the set-up spot). Of course I'll take either scenario for now as long as Koch isn't the closer anymore.

batmanZoSo
06-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
They can have Borchard or Reed. We need a closer. Neither Shingo nor Marte are long-term closer answers; each is better in the setup role (and really, moving one up would leave a hole in the set-up spot). Of course I'll take either scenario for now as long as Koch isn't the closer anymore.

Right now I'd take a serviceable Sean Lowe ala 2001 as the fifth starter and just get a freakin closer for christ's sake.

fuzzy_patters
06-06-2004, 11:27 PM

What if we make Marte the closer and call up Wunsch to replace him?

DSpivack
06-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Saw this thread right after I posted in the postgame thread; Mr. Balvasi, can we get Eddie with Freddy?

OEO Magglio
06-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Not to burst anyones bubble on eddie but he hasn't been all that great closing games out this year either. He's 9 for 12 in save chances, he does have a good era but hasn't been great in closing games out. But that being said I'll take anyone over koch right now.

Win1ForMe
06-06-2004, 11:36 PM
You know, I'll take my chances with Danys Baez or Jose Mesa at this point.

But the closer's market is so damn thin this year.

DSpivack
06-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Not to burst anyones bubble on eddie but he hasn't been all that great closing games out this year either. He's 9 for 12 in save chances, he does have a good era but hasn't been great in closing games out. But that being said I'll take anyone over koch right now.

At the least he would be a set up guy for Marte/Shingo.

Seriously, though, I know they just signed this past offseason, but what would it take to trade for him?

Hondo
06-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
At the least he would be a set up guy for Marte/Shingo.

Seriously, though, I know they just signed this past offseason, but what would it take to trade for him?

To trade Koch? Paying ALL of his salary. So it would take a miracle.

JRIG
06-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
What if we make Marte the closer and call up Wunsch to replace him?

Great idea, but Wunsch is in KW's doghouse, and we all know there's no getting out of there.

Guardado is not the answer either.

DSpivack
06-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
To trade Koch? Paying ALL of his salary. So it would take a miracle.

Not to trade Koch, a team would have be idiotic to do that. We could do whatever with him, I don't know.

I meant just trading for Eddie Guardado/someone decent

OurBitchinMinny
06-06-2004, 11:45 PM

I agree that koch has to go, but guardado isnt that good of a closer. I actually saw more twins games the last two years than sox games living in minny and he can be tough on nerves too. Of course I was rooting that hed fail, but my buddies were always nervous when he came in because he always puts guys on, but usually, unlike koch doesnt blow it. I say give shingo the ball for the rest of the year and lets see what happens

Hondo
06-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Not to trade Koch, a team would have be idiotic to do that. We could do whatever with him, I don't know.

I meant just trading for Eddie Guardado/someone decent

The problem is team's with adequate closer's are still in it. Reds, Mets,Marlins,Phillies,Dodgers are playing well/well enough not to dump players yet. (Plus Gagne is going nowhere even if the Dodgers were in last place)

Biddle is now struggling with Montreal.

Guardado isn't impressing with Seattle.

That being said anything would be an improvement.

I think the thing with Takatsu is people's belief you need a closer who is a power pitcher. I don't agree with it but I think that's the conventional wisdom.

He'd be my choice though. Marte has struggled but last year he thrived in the closer's role. Maybe it's a mindset thing with him.

Who knows. It's late, I'm pissed, I can't fall asleep and I have to be up in six hours.

The joys of being a White Sox Fan, eh?

StockdaleForVeep
06-07-2004, 12:01 AM

How is shingo not long term? HE CAME TO CHICAGO BECAUSE KW SAID HE WOULD CLOSE! THATS WHY HE PICKED US OVER ANY OTHER CLUB. He has over 200 saves in japanese ball and several titles i believe as well. Give him the spot, we dont need to give up more for a position we can easily fill with shingo

JRIG
06-07-2004, 12:03 AM
I think the thing with Takatsu is people's belief you need a closer who is a power pitcher. I don't agree with it but I think that's the conventional wisdom.

He'd be my choice though. Marte has struggled but last year he thrived in the closer's role. Maybe it's a mindset thing with him.

This is the thinking that led us to trade Keith Foulke for the hard-throwing, facial-hair sporting Billy Koch.

If you want to follow that path again, I can't say anything to help you.

(And not you Hondo, I know you said you would take Takatsu. I meant "you" in general)

DSpivack
06-07-2004, 12:04 AM

Keith Foulke, cough cough

34 Inch Stick
06-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Urbina