PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to Dave Wills

Whitesox029
06-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Dave,
I know I'll never get through on the line tonight, and I know you visit WSI (as you just said on the air), so I'm writing you this open letter instead. To start, I'm a fan of yours, and I've called before (not often, but I have). I like hearing you and Melty on the postgame show, win or lose. That said, I got the impression you thought Koch should get one more chance because otherwise he's a non-entity (I may have gotten the wrong impression, but that's what it sounded like you thought). Basically, Koch is a non-entity, even if he is being used. It's like throwing a pitching machine out there. It's time to get rif of him however possible. Yes, we will still have to pay him, and no, we may not be able to get anything in return, but frankly, I would take a bucket of practice balls for him right now if I were KW. So basically, my plan of action:
1. Send Koch down and shop him to other GMs--cheap--for a couple weeks.
2. If a trade can't be made, out and out release him. He is doing this team more harm than good and he just needs to go. There you have it. My rant is over.
Keep up the good work in the post-game!

Signed,
Whitesox029

bennyw41
06-06-2004, 11:27 PM
What is Dave Wills exactly going to be able to do about any of this? I think you're misguiding your rant my friend.

red faber
06-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
Dave,
I know I'll never get through on the line tonight, and I know you visit WSI (as you just said on the air), so I'm writing you this open letter instead. To start, I'm a fan of yours, and I've called before (not often, but I have). I like hearing you and Melty on the postgame show, win or lose. That said, I got the impression you thought Koch should get one more chance because otherwise he's a non-entity (I may have gotten the wrong impression, but that's what it sounded like you thought). Basically, Koch is a non-entity, even if he is being used. It's like throwing a pitching machine out there. It's time to get rif of him however possible. Yes, we will still have to pay him, and no, we may not be able to get anything in return, but frankly, I would take a bucket of practice balls for him right now if I were KW. So basically, my plan of action:
2. If a trade can't be made, out and out release him. He is doing this team more harm than good and he just needs to go. There you have it. My rant is over.

Signed,
Whitesox029

I CONCUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS SCREW UP MUST GO IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although,i don't see what dave wills can do about it.

fuzzy_patters
06-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Dave,

Signed,
Whitesox029

That's BS. A pitching machine can throw strikes. :angry:

Whitesox029
06-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
What is Dave Wills exactly going to be able to do about any of this? I think you're misguiding your rant my friend.
well he can't do anything of course, but he's the most connected person of whom I can think who I know visits WSI. An open letter to KW may be completely ineffective as he probably doesn't come here (judging by his lack of response to all the complaints we post here).

Whitesox029
06-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
That's BS. A pitching machine can throw strikes. :angry:
hahahahahaha touche!

ChiSoxBobette
06-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Dave,

Signed,
Whitesox029

Well Ozzie made the statement last week that when Koch pitches and walks people it kills him so lets see what KW & Ozzie do now . We all can see that Billy Koch just is'nt consistent enough anymore to be a closer, in the past he always had that 100mph fastball to rely on now its just not there and a pitchers whos always had that kind of speed on his pitches and is a closer just can't change the way he's pitched all those years before so instead of him being able to go out there and challenging hitters with that fastball he now has to become a pitcher and as we've seen he's unable to do that on a day in and day out basis. I think the on the job training of Bill Koch as a finesse reliever ala Keithe Foulke as opposed to what he was in the past a power pitcher should end now.

BigEdWalsh
06-07-2004, 07:47 AM

I have to agree with others that while it would of course be better to aim a rant at KW, realistically Wills might actually see this and what he says on the air has got to carry SOME weight.
So Dave, spread the word, we're pissed and we're not gonna take it anymore! Billy has gotta go! Bring on Shingo, before it's too late!
:gulp:

steff
06-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Why don't you send this to Hawk & DJ. They are more "connected" than Dave in that they have more access to Kenny. Or how about emailing this to the papers? Or to the Sox?

Malgar 12
06-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Well Ozzie made the statement last week that when Koch pitches and walks people it kills him so lets see what KW & Ozzie do now . We all can see that Billy Koch just is'nt consistent enough anymore to be a closer, in the past he always had that 100mph fastball to rely on now its just not there and a pitchers whos always had that kind of speed on his pitches and is a closer just can't change the way he's pitched all those years before so instead of him being able to go out there and challenging hitters with that fastball he now has to become a pitcher and as we've seen he's unable to do that on a day in and day out basis. I think the on the job training of Bill Koch as a finesse reliever ala Keithe Foulke as opposed to what he was in the past a power pitcher should end now.

consistent enough? When has he ever been consistent?
He is, and has been from the day he got here, useless.

Railsplitter
06-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Get rid of Koch. I don't the Sox will be able to find somebody willing to trade for him, but a release might be in order.

bennyw41
06-07-2004, 08:56 AM
You got to be kidding. Dave Wils is a great sox fan, and a great pre/post game analyst. Do you really think that he hasn't heard any of this before? What he says on the air is going to be reflective of that already. You can't possiblly believe that writing an open letter to him will actually make a sox roster move do you? I am not trying to be a jerk, but this is a thinly veiled koch sucks thred.

poorme
06-07-2004, 09:00 AM
I am not trying to be a jerk, but this is a thinly veiled koch sucks thred.

So? He does suck.

bennyw41
06-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Yes, he does, but I don't think contacting a radio personality about it is very smart. Thats like me contacting Mark Suppellsa because the economy sucks.

BigEdWalsh
06-07-2004, 09:09 AM
You got to be kidding. Dave Wils is a great sox fan, and a great pre/post game analyst. Do you really think that he hasn't heard any of this before? What he says on the air is going to be reflective of that already. You can't possiblly believe that writing an open letter to him will actually make a sox roster move do you? I am not trying to be a jerk, but this is a thinly veiled koch sucks thred.

Benny, what would it hurt? I think it'd be pretty cool to hear Dave Wills say very simply over the airways, "Sox fans want Billy Koch GONE". Then, we've at least been heard.
:wills :army

kittle42
06-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Yes, he does, but I don't think contacting a radio personality about it is very smart. Thats like me contacting Mark Suppellsa because the economy sucks.
:)

Jerko
06-07-2004, 09:12 AM
During one of Ozzie's 2,394 in-game interviews last night, the announcers asked him about the bullpen situation and he said "I think Kocshe is my closer". I bet if that interview never happened he would have left Shingo in. Time for a "Borowski" DL stint for Billy the Goat if OZ doesn't have the balls (or isn't "allowed") to make the move on his own. And as for Japanese pitchers not "having it" in the 9th inning, well, a guy just retired from the team that just kicked our ass 2 of 3 (Sasaki I think his name was) and he seemed to do pretty good for himself Melton.

bennyw41
06-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by BigEdWalsh
Benny, what would it hurt? I think it'd be pretty cool to hear Dave Wills say very simply over the airways, "Sox fans want Billy Koch GONE". Then, we've at least been heard.

Since when is that new news? I'm sorry, but it just seems like a starstruck type thing to do. Isn't it obvious that personnell decisions are not going to be affected by fanboards?

BigEdWalsh
06-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Since when is that new news? I'm sorry, but it just seems like a starstruck type thing to do. Isn't it obvious that personnell decisions are not going to be affected by fanboards?

I for one am not "starstruck" by Dave Wills. I love the guy, he's one of us, but I'm not starstruck. He's just one of us who happens to have a nice radio gig, which works very well because he's a fan talking to fans. Which, is all we're doing here. Plain and simple, asking a fan (Dave Wills) to say: Sox fans want Billy Koch gone. They don't want to see him out there turning wins into losses anymore.
If he does that then we've been heard. I'm not saying it's gonna cause KW to give Koch his walking papers. I'm not that stupid. I just wanna know that the word is out. SOX FANS WANT KOCH GONE!
If the Sox don't get rid of Koch and they probably won't, and they keep trotting him out there, oh well. Be prepared for lots more failure. :smile:

harwar
06-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Time for a "Borowski" DL stint for Billy the Goat if OZ doesn't have the balls (or isn't "allowed") to make the move on his own.

I couldn't agree more.Theres' nothing wrong with joe borowski other than the fact that he sucks as a closer.
Don't use billy koch anymore and in about a week put him on the DL .
Also,lets not jump all over Ozzie.Hes' just doing what hes' told when he uses koch.Hopefully thats over now.The cub hosts on "the score" are all trying to turn this into an"ozzie is a bad manager"thing.Lets not let those scum manipulate us that way.

bennyw41
06-07-2004, 10:29 AM
I for one am not "starstruck" by Dave Wills. I love the guy, he's one of us, but I'm not starstruck. He's just one of us who happens to have a nice radio gig, which works very well because he's a fan talking to fans. Which, is all we're doing here. Plain and simple, asking a fan (Dave Wills) to say: Sox fans want Billy Koch gone. They don't want to see him out there turning wins into losses anymore.
If he does that then we've been heard. I'm not saying it's gonna cause KW to give Koch his walking papers. I'm not that stupid. I just wanna know that the word is out. SOX FANS WANT KOCH GONE!
If the Sox don't get rid of Koch and they probably won't, and they keep trotting him out there, oh well. Be prepared for lots more failure. :smile:

Didn't say you were starstruck, but the thread starter maybe.

BigEdWalsh
06-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Didn't say you were starstruck, but the thread starter maybe.

:)

:biged

steff
06-07-2004, 12:28 PM

Listen more often. It's been said several times the past week.

BigEdWalsh
06-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by steff
Listen more often. It's been said several times the past week.

I would listen more often if I didn't work nights.

steff
06-07-2004, 12:34 PM
I would listen more often if I didn't work nights.

Damn work! :D: