PDA

View Full Version : Bartolo Colon

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Anyone else thankful we didn't give this guy a 3 year 36 million dollar contract and probably have to trade Maggs??
His ERA is close to 6 (5.77). Just absolutely terrible this year.

Anyone who got worked up over us not being able to sign him, how do you feel now? Relieved hopefully.

idseer
06-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Anyone else thankful we didn't give this guy a 3 year 36 million dollar contract and probably have to trade Maggs??

Anyone who got worked up over us not being able to sign him, how do you feel now? Relieved hopefully.

with you on that!

kittle42
06-06-2004, 05:01 PM

Still ticked about it. Hindsight is always 20/20....many predicted him to have a Cy Young year.

FarWestChicago
06-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Still ticked about it. Hindsight is always 20/20....many predicted him to have a Cy Young year. And they were wrong.

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Still ticked about it. Hindsight is always 20/20....many predicted him to have a Cy Young year.

Well they were way off base. Colon has had one great year in 2002 (the year before we got him which he posted a 2.93 ERA). Outside of that all of his years have looked like the one we got last year out of him, which was pretty good, but not worth 12 million a year, let alone 12.5 for four years, which is what the Angels gave him. I could see how about 8 to 9 million a year might have been reasonable, but people were going pretty crazy when they were blaming KW for not resigning Colon at the stupidly high amount the Angels gave him. I felt at the time that we were offering him too much money and then the Angels went and payed even more!

Bucktown
06-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Amen to that. KW was 100% correct in not risking that much money on someone that has been so inconsistent and injury prone.

Lip Man 1
06-06-2004, 07:27 PM
He'll still win 15 games by the end of the season which right now is about 15 more then the rotating clowns in the 5th starter hole have been winning aren't they?

Lip

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
He'll still win 15 games by the end of the season which right now is about 15 more then the rotating clowns in the 5th starter hole have been winning aren't they?

Lip

Well if he could only win 15 games with a 3.87 ERA last year for us, how would he have won 15 for us this year with a 5+ ERA?? He wouldn'tve. Wins dont have a direct correlation with how a pitcher is pitching

FarWestChicago
06-06-2004, 07:33 PM

Lip Geeze Lip, I don' t know if even King George would want to spend $12 million on a fifth starter. :o:

Navaro's Talent
06-06-2004, 07:40 PM
I'm very happy that Colon was not signed back. I think Maggs is more important than Colon, so I wasn't too upset when he first signed with the Angels. Now, that I see what we would have gotten, I'm glad that Kenny kept Maggs instead, despite his injury. Our fifth starter spot might be as bad as it can get right now, but I am confident that Kenny will get somebody who will make this team great.

PaulDrake
06-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Well they were way off base. Colon has had one great year in 2002 (the year before we got him which he posted a 2.93 ERA). Outside of that all of his years have looked like the one we got last year out of him, which was pretty good, but not worth 12 million a year, let alone 12.5 for four years, which is what the Angels gave him. I could see how about 8 to 9 million a year might have been reasonable, but people were going pretty crazy when they were blaming KW for not resigning Colon at the stupidly high amount the Angels gave him. I felt at the time that we were offering him too much money and then the Angels went and payed even more! Very accurate assessment of Colon and the circumstances of his non signing with us this year IMHO.

StockdaleForVeep
06-06-2004, 08:23 PM
You cant make judgements like that saying since "oh colon is bad now, we made a good decision" because he did switch teams and divisions, its a big change. Thats like sayin we did a good thing gettin rid of sirotka because then he threw his shoulder out. Had colon stayed with the sox we coulda been a more dominate team or coulda sucked more. Some guys do better in diff towns, some dont. To relate to Hockey, Hasek sucked on the hawks, got traded and then became good. The opposite can happen too.

Bucktown
06-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
You cant make judgements like that saying since "oh colon is bad now, we made a good decision" because he did switch teams and divisions, its a big change. Thats like sayin we did a good thing gettin rid of sirotka because then he threw his shoulder out. Had colon stayed with the sox we coulda been a more dominate team or coulda sucked more. Some guys do better in diff towns, some dont. To relate to Hockey, Hasek sucked on the hawks, got traded and then became good. The opposite can happen too.
Well then, lets just close down the message boards since they are all conjecture anyway.

With all of the available data, it looks like a stellar move. As for winning 15 games, I think his back will give out before he gets there.

Deadguy
06-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Amen to that. KW was 100% correct in not risking that much money on someone that has been so inconsistent and injury prone.

KW doesn't really deserve much credit for this. We can thank the greediness of Colon and his agent, and the Angels for overrating and overpaying Colon for his services.

The initial 3 year 36 million dollar contract was actually offered to Colon in Spring Training, and Colon and his agent decided to wait till the end of the year and see how things played out before deciding on whether to accept it or not.

After the White Sox observed Colon's work ethic and his negative effect on the clubhouse, resigning Colon was not a high priority on their list.

For PR reasons, it was leaked that the White Sox had offered Colon 36 million dollars in October, just to make the fans believe that they were making an effort to retain Colon. In reality, however, the offer to Colon was simply the same one that had initially been offered to Colon in ST, and had been left on the table.

Frankfan4life
06-07-2004, 12:37 AM
You should read what they're saying about Colon on the Anaheim MLB Board. It's brutal!
Linky (http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-angels&msg=26047.1&ctx=0)

batmanZoSo
06-07-2004, 12:44 AM

Lip

Gimme a break. Do you have any idea how financially stuck we'd be paying him 12 million and getting nothing out of it? It's more than just wins and losses. It's about bang for your buck. Especially with the Sox.

Navaro's Talent
06-07-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
You should read what they're saying about Colon on the Anaheim MLB Board. It's brutal!
Linky (http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-angels&msg=26047.1&ctx=0)

LOL! That was funny.

StockdaleForVeep
06-07-2004, 03:15 AM
I find it funny how weight was never a concern for colon in chicago. In Cleveland and montreal they argued with him about losing weight but didnt seem a factor when he pitched for us.

I still remember when the scrubs got alfonseca and people were terrified cuz he loves to eat and said downtown chicago food will kill him. Alfonseca coulda been the next harold washington.

SOXintheBURGH
06-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Does anyone else remember when Colon used to absolutely DESTROY us when he was in Cleveland???

StillMissOzzie
06-08-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
KW doesn't really deserve much credit for this. We can thank the greediness of Colon and his agent, and the Angels for overrating and overpaying Colon for his services.

The initial 3 year 36 million dollar contract was actually offered to Colon in Spring Training, and Colon and his agent decided to wait till the end of the year and see how things played out before deciding on whether to accept it or not.

ding ding ding ding ding!!!

If he wasn't so greedy for that 4th year, he would be OUR garden slug instead of the Angels'. Thank you, Bartolo's agent, wherever you are.

SMO
:gulp: