PDA

View Full Version : Burke & Dransfeldt. Terrible AB's yesterday

Hangar18
06-06-2004, 02:22 PM
I dont know what the SOX see in these guys, but the at-bats
by those 2 in the late innings of the game yesterday........They were BRUTAL. That was the difference in the game yesterday really. Everyday Eddie DIDNT have his stuff yesterday, and had we had some guys that could situational hit, we shouldve won this game. You could see how he DIDNT want to throw a fastball down the middle (though he got Konerko to pop one up)
but he WENT RIGHT AFTER those two with Fastballs. It was like watching little leaguers batting against ML pitching. Easily some of the worst AB's ive seen yet, Valentin notwithstanding.

the_valenstache
06-06-2004, 03:03 PM
They've gotta start somewhere.

Perhaps not when the game is on the line.

Whether or not that's Ozzie's fault remains to be seen. He doesn't have the deepest bench to work with.

TDog
06-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Dransfeldt had a big hit with 2 out in the ninth to tie a game the Sox won earlier this year. That was probably Ozzie's fault too.

SoxOnTop
06-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by TDog
Dransfeldt had a big hit with 2 out in the ninth to tie a game the Sox won earlier this year. That was probably Ozzie's fault too.

That was a gift 0-2 fastball down the heart of the plate that my grandmother could have put in play. Everyday Eddie is a veteran that's not going to make that kind of mistake to a couple of AAA pinch hitters.

JRIG
06-06-2004, 03:49 PM
All I know is, I was driving in my car yesterday listening to the 9th inning. When Rooney said, "The Sox have Dransfeldt and Burke as right handers hitters off the bench," I just about threw up in my own mouth.

gosox41
06-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I dont know what the SOX see in these guys, but the at-bats
by those 2 in the late innings of the game yesterday........They were BRUTAL. That was the difference in the game yesterday really. Everyday Eddie DIDNT have his stuff yesterday, and had we had some guys that could situational hit, we shouldve won this game. You could see how he DIDNT want to throw a fastball down the middle (though he got Konerko to pop one up)
but he WENT RIGHT AFTER those two with Fastballs. It was like watching little leaguers batting against ML pitching. Easily some of the worst AB's ive seen yet, Valentin notwithstanding.

Hangar, I'm sure you've seen my other thread regarding the Jamie Burke called up. Burke is a joke and the rationale behind call him up is even worse. It's a shame that the Sox organization is not choosing to put their best people on the major league club. Granted, Burke isn't too blame for the loss as the Sox had other chance to blow the game open. But it would be nice if management would make a commitment to bringing up the best poosible talent so that when PM or Jose or others fail, you can at least have some confidence in the guy replacing Ordonez.

Bob

Willie
06-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Hangar, I'm sure you've seen my other thread regarding the Jamie Burke called up. Burke is a joke and the rationale behind call him up is even worse. It's a shame that the Sox organization is not choosing to put their best people on the major league club. Granted, Burke isn't too blame for the loss as the Sox had other chance to blow the game open. But it would be nice if management would make a commitment to bringing up the best poosible talent so that when PM or Jose or others fail, you can at least have some confidence in the guy replacing Ordonez.

Bob

How bout this. You're a joke for actually having the gaul to say call Jamie Burke a "joke" when all he does is go out and try as hard as he can in both the minors or the majors. That is absolutely pathetic that you would sit there and say that about a player when he has dont nothing wrong or bad to warrant you calling him that. I'm embarrassed to be a sox fan with you actually saying that. Why don't you grow up.

I think we know who the real "joke" around here is.

Bucktown
06-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Is Burke's grandmother a poster on this board?

JRIG
06-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Willie
How bout this. You're a joke for actually having the gaul to say call Jamie Burke a "joke" when all he does is go out and try as hard as he can in both the minors or the majors. That is absolutely pathetic that you would sit there and say that about a player when he has dont nothing wrong or bad to warrant you calling him that. I'm embarrassed to be a sox fan with you actually saying that. Why don't you grow up.

I think we know who the real "joke" around here is.

Hey, it's not his fault Burke and Dransfelt are terrible major league players and the Sox won't bring people up who might actually be able to contribute.

Besides, as PHG is fond of saying, if all it takes is trying as hard as you can in the majors and minors, tell me where to sign up. I promise to always give 110% no matter what.

Willie
06-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Hey, it's not his fault Burke and Dransfelt are terrible major league players and the Sox won't bring people up who might actually be able to contribute.

Besides, as PHG is fond of saying, if all it takes is trying as hard as you can in the majors and minors, tell me where to sign up. I promise to always give 110% no matter what.

I don't care about any of that. I don't care how he plays, I don't care if he never gets a hit again in his major league career, he sure as hell doesn't deserved to be called a "joke" by some message board person. Burke would probably laugh at him if he saw it, but I"m not going to let him sit there and talk about a person like that. IT's ridiculous.

kittle42
06-06-2004, 04:38 PM
I don't care about any of that. I don't care how he plays, I don't care if he never gets a hit again in his major league career, he sure as hell doesn't deserved to be called a "joke" by some message board person. Burke would probably laugh at him if he saw it, but I"m not going to let him sit there and talk about a person like that. IT's ridiculous.

What if he changed "joke" to "very bad player probably not worthy of a major league roster spot?"

And when did the term "joke" become so terrible? Jeez.

Willie
06-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
What if he changed "joke" to "very bad player probably not worthy of a major league roster spot?"

And when did the term "joke" become so terrible? Jeez.

I honestly don't even know what to say to a response like that.

Win1ForMe
06-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Well, Burke & Dransfeldt look like freakin' Dimaggio when compared with Crede's ABs.

kittle42
06-06-2004, 05:06 PM

What does that mean?

Are you saying that Dransfeldt and Burke are good or are you saying that we have no right to criticize them because they are trying? Do fans/columnists, etc. have no right to an opinion?

And I still do not understand when "joke" became such a horrible term.

Jamie Burke and Kelly Dransfeldt are not good baseball players compared to other major leaguers. Do you disagree with this statement?

Willie
06-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
What does that mean?

Are you saying that Dransfeldt and Burke are good or are you saying that we have no right to criticize them because they are trying? Do fans/columnists, etc. have no right to an opinion?

And I still do not understand when "joke" became such a horrible term.

Jamie Burke and Kelly Dransfeldt are not good baseball players compared to other major leaguers. Do you disagree with this statement?

If he said he doesn't think that Burke is a very good major league ball player that is certainly is own opinion.

You just don't call somebody a joke. If somebody that didn't know me came up to my face and said I was a joke, I wouldn't be too thrilled to say the least.

kittle42
06-06-2004, 05:10 PM
If he said he doesn't think that Burke is a very good major league ball player that is certainly is own opinion.

You just don't call somebody a joke. If somebody that didn't know me came up to my face and said I was a joke, I wouldn't be too thrilled to say the least.

OK then - I was just trying to get to the bottom line, which is that you feel that calling someone a "joke" is a horrible, horrible insult. I do not. But I respect your feelings on the matter.

dickallen15
06-06-2004, 05:26 PM

I think its a cruel joke to Sox fans everywhere when the right handed batters available off the bench are Burke and Dransfeldt. These 2 don't belong in the major leagues. I'm sure you're going to say Dransfeldt won a game for the Sox, and he did, with a broken bat single to right. That's getting more out of him than you can ever expect. When the Sox optioned him, he had to clear waivers and no one claimed him even though he is making the minimum, that tells you something right there. Burke was hitting .220 in a bandbox in Charlotte, not exactly a performance due a promotion. I'm sure there both nice guys, and hard workers, but they are not major league caliber players, not now, not ever. If the White Sox have to get a contribution from these 2 to make the playoffs, you can pencil in Minnesota as one of the playoff participants.

Willie
06-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
I think its a cruel joke to Sox fans everywhere when the right handed batters available off the bench are Burke and Dransfeldt. These 2 don't belong in the major leagues. I'm sure you're going to say Dransfeldt won a game for the Sox, and he did, with a broken bat single to right. That's getting more out of him than you can ever expect. When the Sox optioned him, he had to clear waivers and no one claimed him even though he is making the minimum, that tells you something right there. Burke was hitting .220 in a bandbox in Charlotte, not exactly a performance due a promotion. I'm sure there both nice guys, and hard workers, but they are not major league caliber players, not now, not ever. If the White Sox have to get a contribution from these 2 to make the playoffs, you can pencil in Minnesota as one of the playoff participants.

I wasn't speaking to his thoughts about the players performances. I was speaking strictly of him calling Burke a joke. Calling the organization a joke is fine with me beacuse it involves all the moves and the like. Or syaing KW's decision to call Burke up is a joke. Thats cool too. He called Burke a joke. I don't think thats cool.

kittle42
06-06-2004, 06:03 PM
I wasn't speaking to his thoughts about the players performances. I was speaking strictly of him calling Burke a joke. Calling the organization a joke is fine with me beacuse it involves all the moves and the like. Or syaing KW's decision to call Burke up is a joke. Thats cool too. He called Burke a joke. I don't think thats cool.

It's all about props, respect and keeping your cred on the street. :)

Lip Man 1
06-06-2004, 08:29 PM
They both work cheap...

Lip

gosox41
06-07-2004, 06:06 PM

You're entitled to your opinion just like me. Burke still is not a ML player anyway you look at it. While you get upset at me for using the word 'joke' for a career minor leaguer who may have heart but not much in the way of talent, I'm going to be more concerned with this team maybe winning a division of KW doesn't do enough to screw it up.

Maybe KW and Ozzie are the jokes. I mean they actually wanted him on the major league roster.

Bob

gosox41
06-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Is Burke's grandmother a poster on this board?

ROFLMAO

gosox41
06-07-2004, 06:09 PM

I'll praise or critizize anyone wearing a Sox uniform or representing the Sox organization. Whether it's Koch, PK, Frank, or Burke if critcisim is warranted then that is what they'll get. I'll also praise the players that deserve it. This is a forum for opinions about the team. If I started posting my political views here you can get upset, but I'm posting relelvand baseball issues that are effecting this team. That's what the website is all about.

Bob

SEALgep
06-07-2004, 06:10 PM

Maybe KW and Ozzie are the jokes. I mean they actually wanted him on the major league roster.

They're jokes because they're able to see the big picture? Does anyone have a mirror?

SoxOnTop
06-07-2004, 07:21 PM

I don't think that KW and OZ are jokes for bringing him up, necessarily. There are certain merits and flexibility gained by having a 3rd catcher on the bench. That is debatable. But using Burke as a righty to pinch hit when the guy was hitting .211 in AAA is ridiculous. That was an inexcusable move and that is not debatable.