PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 6/6/04

Hangar18
06-06-2004, 12:54 PM
The Sun-Times...er Cub-Times today does a pretty exceptional job of covering the Other Team today. Phil Rogers mustve been hanging out with me last nite, because playing pool against a whole slew of flubby fans, they mentioned how the tide has turned and they were now the "premier" franchise and had the "best farm system" in baseball. I mentioned that the only thing "Premier" was the fact they got to get a bunch of top 10 Picks in the draft........and teams that pick in the top10 USUALLY STINK. I laughed hard, and they realized I was right. Plus,
I mentioned that of all the people on that team, Most were Pirates, Expos, Dodgers, Marlins, Twins, Braves, Blue Jays etc etc etc. They laughed and admitted they never thought of that. I told them the SOX, had they spent a little more money to put themselves over the TOP, shouldve been the "PREMIER" franchise instead, with the way we've drafted the last 10-15 years. IT was very TIMELY that Phil Rogers put his article out
today detailing this very subject, at least gives the SOX some credit for the LITTLE theyve accomplished.

In other stories, Mike Kiley disciple, Chris DeLuca is quickly becoming the Propogandistic Prodigy. He writes an article on
the upcoming drafts for the SOX and the other team, when out of the blue, PLANTS the fact that the WHITE SOX gave Joe Borchard a "record" $5.3 Million signing bonus...."1 million more than what (the messiah) got from the Cubs". Nice job of spreading dis-information Mr. DeLuca. Fact is, The Messiah wanted 10 Million, and GOT IT, but in the form of a professional guaranteed contract, as opposed to some minor league deal that
they give draftees.

Cubune:
4 cub stories
4 sox stories
Cub-Times:
6 cub stories
2 sox stories

CUBS 844
SOX 572

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 01:09 PM
I think the report out of the Sun Times today that we would likely trade Rowand and Rauch is pretty interesting because it could bring some legitmacy to KW's bringing up of Burke. If Rowand goes, Borchard could be on the way up once he's able to play the outfield again (he's been the DH lately)

Hangar18
06-06-2004, 01:24 PM
OHHHHHHHH, and for anyone Keeping Score at home ...........
STILL NO MAGGS WATCH

Wheres the MAGGS WATCH? Talk radio this Morning WAS HELLBENT on an Overrated, Overachieving "closer" for the other team being put on the DL and what it means for the team, complete with interviews, worried callers, Tips on who is available blah blah blah. Wheres the MAGGS WATCH?

bahn1225
06-06-2004, 01:50 PM
I emailed the Tribune Sports Department this question yesterday.
I hope others on this forum will take the opportunity to do the same.

john2499
06-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Hangar I've also noticed a disparity in color photos between the two teams. I'd bet the other team has had twice as many color photos, as well.

voodoochile
06-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
OHHHHHHHH, and for anyone Keeping Score at home ...........
STILL NO MAGGS WATCH

Wheres the MAGGS WATCH? Talk radio this Morning WAS HELLBENT on an Overrated, Overachieving "closer" for the other team being put on the DL and what it means for the team, complete with interviews, worried callers, Tips on who is available blah blah blah. Wheres the MAGGS WATCH?

We got your back, Hangar... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=2543)

rahulsekhar
06-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Fact is, The Messiah wanted 10 Million, and GOT IT, but in the form of a professional guaranteed contract, as opposed to some minor league deal that
they give draftees.

Off topic - IIRC, something about Prior's contract makes him an FA in a year or 2. Can anyone confirm/deny that? Just curious because you KNOW Steinbrenner's going to make a play for him if that's the case.

Although the real coup would be if the Sox were to pony up for him and be determined to be the highest bidder no matter what.