PDA

View Full Version : Wunsch clears waivers

Jerry_Manuel
06-06-2004, 11:26 AM
I didn't see this posted; from the SouthTown:

Left-handed reliever Kelly Wunsch has cleared waivers and has been outrighted to Triple-A Charlotte. Wunsch did draw some interest from other teams, including Cleveland, but his $800,000 salary was an obstacle. With the move, the Sox have 39 players on their 40-man roster.

illinibk
06-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Any possibility he gets included in a package for Garcia?

soxtalker
06-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by illinibk

I, like many members of this board, remember fondly Kelly's contributions in the past and think he has value either on our team or in a trade. However, I don't understand how he would benefit the M's. If they trade Garcia, they're most likely looking to build for the future -- not fill in a piece that is missing this year.

mantis1212
06-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Sucks to be him right now

mike squires
06-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Will he be up with the team again or is this just short term? Or does hs mean heis on his way out. For as big a baseball fan I am I don't pay attenion to all of the waiver terms mumo jumbo.

I also have fond memories of Kelly. Him sitting nex to us at the Soxfest party and seeing him after a Cardinal game in St. Louis at the arch. He was nice enough to sign my ball and pose for a pic with me.

I loved watching Kelly strut in from the bullpen with that smile on his face as if he was just happy to be there.

TornLabrum
06-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Will he be up with the team again or is this just short term? Or does hs mean heis on his way out. For as big a baseball fan I am I don't pay attenion to all of the waiver terms mumo jumbo.

I also have fond memories of Kelly. Him sitting nex to us at the Soxfest party and seeing him after a Cardinal game in St. Louis at the arch. He was nice enough to sign my ball and pose for a pic with me.

I loved watching Kelly strut in from the bullpen with that smile on his face as if he was just happy to be there.

Let's put it this way:

:hawk

"He gone!"

iwannago
06-06-2004, 01:30 PM
I don't understand IMO he appears to be a quality pitcher.

Rex Hudler
06-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by illinibk

He cleared waivers, which means if Seattle or anyone for that matter, wanted him, they could have had him for next to nothing. No reason to think they would want to trade for him now after already passing on him.

Rex Hudler
06-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
I don't understand IMO he appears to be a quality pitcher.

A quality pitcher that no one wants it seems..

RedPinStripes
06-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Kelly must have really pissed KW off. He's done a much better job for this team and has been patient with bull**** roles with Manuel like coming in for 1 batter 4 times a week. Any pitcher would have to get frustrated after a while having that role.

:kelly
"I am 1 funky looking creature. "

I'm gonna miss kelly.

lowesox
06-06-2004, 01:37 PM
The whole Kelly Wunsch affair mystefies me.

RedPinStripes
06-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Also remember he's the union rep. We know what the track record of Sox union reps are.

:reinsy
"Get out you pro union ****head! I want scabs!"

Unregistered
06-06-2004, 01:40 PM
I'd say that he HAS TO be better than some of the lesser guys in our 'pen, but I can't even recall the last time he was in a game... an odd situation, I agree. :?:

Mohoney
06-06-2004, 01:42 PM
I can't believe that not one team in the majors would take a chance on this guy. I guess his velocity has dropped to a level where major league execs think he will never get it back.

mike squires
06-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Who was before Wunsch. Leifer?

mike squires
06-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
I can't believe that not one team in the majors would take a chance on this guy. I guess his velocity has dropped to a level where major league execs think he will never get it back.

Makes me think either the injury is back or never left..

johnny_mostil
06-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Kelly must have really pissed KW off. He's done a much better job for this team and has been patient with bull**** roles with Manuel like coming in for 1 batter 4 times a week. Any pitcher would have to get frustrated after a while having that role.

But that is his role, Red. He's a Lefty One Out Guy, a so-called LOOGY. He's a very good pitcher against lefthanders, but he has no track record against good righthanded hitters because they never let him pitch against them. There's a reason he didn't pitch in the majors until he was about 28.

Since Ozzie doesn't use pitchers for one batter very often, he's somewhat less useful to the White Sox now than he was for the last two years with Manuel's bullpen-thrashing ways. Ozzie seems to prefer to let his relievers pitch a whole inning and let another reliever start fresh in the next inning.

RedPinStripes
06-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by johnny_mostil
But that is his role, Red. He's a Lefty One Out Guy, a so-called LOOGY. He's a very good pitcher against lefthanders, but he has no track record against good righthanded hitters because they never let him pitch against them. There's a reason he didn't pitch in the majors until he was about 28.

Since Ozzie doesn't use pitchers for one batter very often, he's somewhat less useful to the White Sox now than he was for the last two years with Manuel's bullpen-thrashing ways. Ozzie seems to prefer to let his relievers pitch a whole inning and let another reliever start fresh in the next inning.

Another case where a good Sox pitcher out of the pen did whatever the organization asked and got **** on for being an out spoken player.

:sean
huh?

Soxfest
06-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Wunsch better understand at his salary and just a lefty spec there is no real market interested in him at this point.

soxtalker
06-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Soxfest
Wunsch better understand at his salary and just a lefty spec there is no real market interested in him at this point.

What do you mean by this?

I'm guessing that he does realize it. If you are in his position, what do you do? He made a bit -- not a lot -- of noise, implying that he'd like to be traded if the Sox wouldn't bring him up from the minors. Granted, he hasn't pitched as well as he should. It's a tough position.

Gumshoe
06-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Another case where a good Sox pitcher out of the pen did whatever the organization asked and got **** on for being an out spoken player.

:sean
huh?

OMG! That is wonderful. Finally someone who knows what is going on. Thanks for the intelligence, Stripes. I hope your posting rubs off on a few of these knuckleheads. Looks like you can add Kelly to the reliever list of Lowe, Foulke, et al who were really solid if not great, and were just disliked (probably for telling it how it is) by KW.

Which brings up a good point --- This is why I don't really trust KW. He's too close to the players and makes everything too personal. Just do your job and don't try to be their friends, Kenny. Get it done.

G

FarWestChicago
06-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
I hope your posting rubs off on a few of these knuckleheads.Please refrain from the personal insults. They aren't necessary and are against policy.

TomParrish79
06-06-2004, 05:30 PM
My lasting memory of Kelly is when he took one off the nuts in the playoffs and tried to throw the guy out at first and it went into the stands putting the winning run on 2nd.

duke of dorwood
06-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Mine is at Sox fest when my son had a Wunsch jersey on I got him just a few weekes earlier for Christmas, and he saw it, was so thrilled that he called his wife to see it. Said it was his first one. He's a fans guy-and a damn effective pitcher. I dont know when this organization will start treating all players with respect.

duke of dorwood
06-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Yes I do-

When this clown

:reinsy

Is Gone

TomParrish79
06-06-2004, 06:33 PM
WHOA

who are those ladies??

Rex Hudler
06-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
OMG! That is wonderful. Finally someone who knows what is going on. Thanks for the intelligence, Stripes. I hope your posting rubs off on a few of these knuckleheads. Looks like you can add Kelly to the reliever list of Lowe, Foulke, et al who were really solid if not great, and were just disliked (probably for telling it how it is) by KW.

Which brings up a good point --- This is why I don't really trust KW. He's too close to the players and makes everything too personal. Just do your job and don't try to be their friends, Kenny. Get it done.

G

If Kelly Wunsch was so damned good and he was gotten rid of because Kenny Williams didn't like him, why in the hell would all 29 other teams pass on him when they could have basically have had him for free?

There is no reason, because he is gone because he is just not that good. How many times in the last year or two was Wunsch pitching in real meaningful innings or against top hitters with the game on the line? Rarely ever..... He was a mop up guy or a guy who could get you an out against a lefty. Kelly Wunsch was never going to be a valuable pitcher on a Sox team that wins games in the playoffs. Every other team could see that as well.

SEALgep
06-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
If Kelly Wunsch was so damned good and he was gotten rid of because Kenny Williams didn't like him, why in the hell would all 29 other teams pass on him when they could have basically have had him for free?
They would have to pick up the $800,000, and most teams, or all teams I guess, feel his injury risk doesn't make him worth it.

Navaro's Talent
06-06-2004, 08:08 PM
I feel bad for Kelly. He has a family to support, so I hope he gets a job somewhere if the Sox don't keep him.

SEALgep
06-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Navaro's Talent
I feel bad for Kelly. He has a family to support, so I hope he gets a job somewhere if the Sox don't keep him. I like Kelly too, but why feel bad for him. He's guaranteed $800,000 regardless what the Sox do with him this year. If they don't resign him, he will be by someone, probably for the league minimum. If he can't support his family with $300,000+ a year after being paind more than twice that this year, he's doing something wrong.

Petch
06-06-2004, 09:13 PM
I liked Kelly, and he had a pretty good year last year. What happened?

Rex Hudler
06-07-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
They would have to pick up the $800,000, and most teams, or all teams I guess, feel his injury risk doesn't make him worth it.

Can we get off the $800k? First off the season is more than two months old, so that $800k is now closer to $500k. Second, $500k is a drop in the bucket to a Major League team if they thought he could help them this year. There is NO way a team would let $500k keep them from picking up a guy and risk losing him to another team if they felt he could help them AT ALL.

It's about talent and results, NOT about money!

he_gone_89
06-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Can we get off the $800k? First off the season is more than two months old, so that $800k is now closer to $500k. Second, $500k is a drop in the bucket to a Major League team if they thought he could help them this year. There is NO way a team would let $500k keep them from picking up a guy and risk losing him to another team if they felt he could help them AT ALL.

It's about talent and results, NOT about money!

I totally agree,his "injury" was only from pitching in too many
consecutive games in 2000. He was the only reliable guy in the bullpen that year along with chad bradford. Besides,from his Stats in his starting roles down in AA/AAA when his career began,he should not only still be on this ballclub,he should get a shot at the 5spot.

this seems like another cheap sox move
reinsdork wont drop 500-800k on a good pitcher
and KW has to be the only KW in town

Rex Hudler
06-10-2004, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by he_gone_89
I totally agree,his "injury" was only from pitching in too many
consecutive games in 2000. He was the only reliable guy in the bullpen that year along with chad bradford. Besides,from his Stats in his starting roles down in AA/AAA when his career began,he should not only still be on this ballclub,he should get a shot at the 5spot.

this seems like another cheap sox move
reinsdork wont drop 500-800k on a good pitcher
and KW has to be the only KW in town

It sure as heck sounds like you disagree with everything I said. That is your prerogative, but the fact remains, Wunsch is not a good pitcher. Wunsch was an average pitcher in the Minors before he came up with the Sox. He is AAA fodder, who had his moment in the sun.

Realist
06-10-2004, 06:15 AM
All I know is this; I never felt like crapping myself the minute Wunsch came into a game... ever. I'm not really sure if there's a stat for that, but I'd be impressed if someone could prove me wrong. I really don't know too many pitchers that I can say that about if any other then Kelly.

thepaulbowski
06-10-2004, 07:22 AM
I'll take Cotts & Marte over Wunsch every day of the week. Kelly is a great guy and an average pitcher, but average pitchers are a dime a dozen. And to say this is because he is the team union rep, is ridiculous. Every team has a union rep.

Rex Hudler
06-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Realist
All I know is this; I never felt like crapping myself the minute Wunsch came into a game... ever. I'm not really sure if there's a stat for that, but I'd be impressed if someone could prove me wrong. I really don't know too many pitchers that I can say that about if any other then Kelly.

If you feel like crapping yourself often, you might want to get checked out. :D:

34 Inch Stick
06-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Realist

I sat next to you at a game on 6/15/02 when Kelly came into the game. If you did not crap yourself then you certainly dropped a silent but deadly on people.