PDA

View Full Version : the sox need mags

cburns
06-06-2004, 02:24 AM
it is obvious that the white sox are missing mags from their lineup...for the past few years he has been the only person consistent offensively, yeah it might be easy to replace his 30 hr's and 100 rbi's, but he never seems to slump which to me is important..and the white sox have been stranding a lot of runners the past few games...they dropped two in oakland in extra innings, they dropped the one in seattle today...it is making me kind of nervous that the white sox are not pulling away from the twins who have been losing a lot lately...what does everyone else think?

pinwheels3530
06-06-2004, 02:31 AM
Yes we need Maggs :(: but the team has to step it up like Ozzie said. It's the players on the field right now that have to do their part and I am confident they will. :smile:

DGSWR81
06-06-2004, 02:47 AM
We don't need him! Think of the all the improvements we could make to the Cell with the money!

Railsplitter
06-06-2004, 07:42 AM
The mark of a good team is how well one guy or another steps it up a notch if somebody else is scuffling or hurt.

Hangar18
06-06-2004, 01:17 PM
The guys doing the FOX broadcast yesterday were very Glowing about the WHITE SOX and what this team can accomplish should they get that 5th starter and someone for the BullPen. They
had a number of Stats and Graphics showing just how Important Magglio Ordonez is to the White Sox, and how his absence weakens the Lineup significantly. If This injury doesnt show us why we NEED TO RESIGN HIM, than nothing will. Im hoping the WHITESOX/Jerry Reinsdorf dont look at this as the "Excuse" they were looking for to NOT SIGN HIM. This injury is going to be a minor blip on the guys Career and hes going to continue to be an Excellent Hitter. He is the Best All Around Player the SOX have,
and Have Had.

ChiSox7
06-06-2004, 01:19 PM
The Twins were able to get out to a great start without half their starting lineup for most of April and the beginning of May. We only have one player out injured. Bottom line is we need people to pick it up. We are leaving tons and tons of players in scoring position. It would be nice to have maggs, but if we are a GOOD team like everybody says we are, we should be able to win without him. Other players need to hurry up and pick up their play.

Deadguy
06-06-2004, 03:38 PM
We always excelled in west coast games with Magglio in the lineup.

batmanZoSo
06-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The guys doing the FOX broadcast yesterday were very Glowing about the WHITE SOX and what this team can accomplish should they get that 5th starter and someone for the BullPen. They
had a number of Stats and Graphics showing just how Important Magglio Ordonez is to the White Sox, and how his absence weakens the Lineup significantly. If This injury doesnt show us why we NEED TO RESIGN HIM, than nothing will. Im hoping the WHITESOX/Jerry Reinsdorf dont look at this as the "Excuse" they were looking for to NOT SIGN HIM. This injury is going to be a minor blip on the guys Career and hes going to continue to be an Excellent Hitter. He is the Best All Around Player the SOX have,
and Have Had.

We could get by without him, but we'd need to gain speed, defense and plate discipline by signing say a center fielder, trading Lee and getting a left fielder (preferably one that's left handed). And of course improving the pen..

But if they don't use the 14 million to improve the team, we're cooked. We'll be the same team (power hitting, streaky, no speed)...only much, much worse.

StockdaleForVeep
06-06-2004, 10:56 PM
We didnt lose these last few games due to missing mags, we've lost due to "EXPLETIVE" BOTCH!!!!!

Can we get a tag for koch's head on a pike, preferably shingo holding it

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 11:02 PM
We're doing OK without Maggs offensively, but we've had such good starting pitching that it doesnt matter that much (it would be nice if we had a closer who could get 3 outs with bases empty 2 run lead).

Lip Man 1
06-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Karno:

With respect without Mags on this road trip the Sox scored a total of 16 runs in five games.

Lip

TornLabrum
06-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Karno:

With respect without Mags on this road trip the Sox scored a total of 16 runs in five games.

Lip

And we still could have won at least 4 of those games.

Deadguy
06-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Karno:

Lip

We faced one of Oakland's "Big Three" in one game, and then played in a great pitcher's park in three other games.

If we had a competent closer (well we do, but he's being inapproprately used as a set up man), we'd have won at least 2 more games on this road trip.

Lip Man 1
06-06-2004, 11:21 PM
I watched Friday's game on Fox Sports Northwest and Dave Henderson the M's color commentator was talking about the Sox troubles on the coast. When they got around to specifically Seattle Hindu said, "They are a home run hitting team. This is not a home run hitters park...when they don't hit home runs they lose."

The inference was that the Sox can't do the small things needed to manufacture runs in places like Seattle and Oakland, which has a ton of foul ground.

Lip

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 11:27 PM
I watched Friday's game on Fox Sports Northwest and Dave Henderson the M's color commentator was talking about the Sox troubles on the coast. When they got around to specifically Seattle Hindu said, "They are a home run hitting team. This is not a home run hitters park...when they don't hit home runs they lose."

The inference was that the Sox can't do the small things needed to manufacture runs in places like Seattle and Oakland, which has a ton of foul ground.

Lip

They played well enough to win 3 easily and possibly a fourth. The Bullpen let us down in 3 seperate games.

Lip Man 1
06-07-2004, 12:10 AM
Karno:

This time. But does that explain a West Coast record of 8-37 since 2001! The White Sox, against the Angels (2-11), the Athletics (1-13) and 5-13 at Safeco Field versus the Mariners.

Lip

pinwheels3530
06-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
We could get by without him, but we'd need to gain speed, defense and plate discipline by signing say a center fielder, trading Lee and getting a left fielder (preferably one that's left handed). And of course improving the pen..

But if they don't use the 14 million to improve the team, we're cooked. We'll be the same team (power hitting, streaky, no speed)...only much, much worse.

Trade Lee for a left handed bat, like who JEFF LIEFER I remember when sox fans wanted him in left field NO NO NO NO. Lee is hot right now we need his bat in the lineup.

SSN721
06-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Despite not scoring more then 16 runs in the last four games, they certainly scored enough to win 3 or 4 of them. I only thought the wed game in Oakland was the only despicable offensive performance leaving 14 men stranded, but we still could have one the game if it was closed out properly. I do miss Maggs and we are a much stronger team with him in the lineup but him missing did not cause this road trip to be a terrible one.

BigEdWalsh
06-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
Despite not scoring more then 16 runs in the last four games, they certainly scored enough to win 3 or 4 of them. I only thought the wed game in Oakland was the only despicable offensive performance leaving 14 men stranded, but we still could have one the game if it was closed out properly. I do miss Maggs and we are a much stronger team with him in the lineup but him missing did not cause this road trip to be a terrible one.

I couldn't agree much more. Except I though the lack of clutch hitting on Saturday was terrible. Sox shoulda scored a bunch of runs, but who's to say in any case they would have if Maggs was out there. That'd be assuming he was getting some clutch hits.
The bottom line is that we really should have had 2 more wins on this road trip than we did. Starters did their jobs. Set-up men did their jobs. Billy Koch :angry: did not.