PDA

View Full Version : Why is Timo playing?

jeremyb1
06-06-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
[B]Why have we not seen gload in right field? I dont like the concept of timo starting. He'd be great as a pinch runner and the likes, not as a starter. Gload has the power and contact numbers to be an effective threat.[B]

This raises a great question, does Ozzie plan to give Timo serious playing time in right while Maggs is out? I seriously hope not. We're talking about a guy with a career line of .274/.309/.393 who's not off to a hot start this season. Perez makes sense on the roster only as a fifth outfielder used as a defensive sub, backup centerfielder, and pinch runner. He doesn't hit enough for any other role. If we're not going to call up Reed or Borchard we should at least stick with a Gload/Rowand platoon in RF.

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 03:17 AM
:ozzie

"I have a lot of faith and confidence in Timo"

StockdaleForVeep
06-06-2004, 03:28 AM
:canseco
"Hey fellas, i can still play the outfield, gimme a shot skip, i got what you want, power and i can steal"

Side thought: The way Jose canseco played in his prime, wouldnt he be perfect fit for Oz Baseball? Speed and power.

OurBitchinMinny
06-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
This raises a great question, does Ozzie plan to give Timo serious playing time in right while Maggs is out? I seriously hope not. We're talking about a guy with a career line of .274/.309/.393 who's not off to a hot start this season. Perez makes sense on the roster only as a fifth outfielder used as a defensive sub, backup centerfielder, and pinch runner. He doesn't hit enough for any other role. If we're not going to call up Reed or Borchard we should at least stick with a Gload/Rowand platoon in RF.

Id stick with gload. Id rather see perez than rowand though

johnny_mostil
06-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Id stick with gload. Id rather see perez than rowand though

Well, I'd rather see Reed or Borchard myself. Perez is a known quantity -- that is, a known fifth outfielder who'll hit .260 with no power and walk rarely if that.

Perez is hitting about as effectively as Rios did last year, and it got him released. However, because Perez hits a few singles, his BA stays respectable and he doesn't get shown the door.

Mohoney
06-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by johnny_mostil
Well, I'd rather see Reed or Borchard myself. Perez is a known quantity -- that is, a known fifth outfielder who'll hit .260 with no power and walk rarely if that.

Perez is hitting about as effectively as Rios did last year, and it got him released. However, because Perez hits a few singles, his BA stays respectable and he doesn't get shown the door.

Joe Borchard, your table is ready.

TimoPerez
06-06-2004, 03:48 PM
I would assume that Timo will platoon with with Rowand in rightfield and probably occasionaly centerfield until Magglio Ordonez comes back. If this is the case, then they should be pretty productive together. Both hit opposite handed pitching very well.

Win1ForMe
06-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Timo is currently hitting .444 with RISP, and over his last three years he's hit much better in those situations (.299 vs .255 w/bases empty). Outside of Jose and maybe Carlos, our team is allergic to pressure situations. Under the present conditions (no Reed/Borchard/Maggs), I really don't see a problem with giving him regular PT.

:hawk
"Don't tell me what you hit but when you hit it."

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Timo is currently hitting .444 with RISP, and over his last three years he's hit much better in those situations (.299 vs .255 w/bases empty). Outside of Jose and maybe Carlos, our team is allergic to pressure situations. Under the present conditions (no Reed/Borchard/Maggs), I really don't see a problem with giving him regular PT.

Or maybe that just means he's pinch hitter material