PDA

View Full Version : Move Uribe down in the order


Bucktown
06-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Uribe has cooled down and is throwing a wet blanket over the hot top of the order: Harris-Uribe-Thomas-Lee (which one of these things don't belong with the other).

We would be much better off to move Uribe down to 7th in the order until the bat heats up.

Ever since he was fingered as an every day player he has struggled. In the last 7 days he is batting .120 (Crede is batting .330 in the same period). This is killing us since somone (namely Harris) is usually on base.

fquaye149
06-06-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Uribe has cooled down and is throwing a wet blanket over the hot top of the order: Harris-Uribe-Thomas-Lee (which one of these things don't belong with the other).

We would be much better off to move Uribe down to 7th in the order until the bat heats up.

Ever since he was fingered as an every day player he has struggled. In the last 7 days he is batting .120 (Crede is batting .330 in the same period). This is killing us since somone (namely Harris) is usually on base.


:threadsucks:


come on now. wait at least more than 7 days before you declare uribe a lesser hitter than crede

batmanZoSo
06-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
:threadsucks:


come on now. wait at least more than 7 days before you declare uribe a lesser hitter than crede

It is kinda funny that Uribe gets his "move him" thread, but it's not a bad idea. We're not punishing Uribe but he's shown he can hit most anywhere in the lineup. With this streaky ### team it would probably be best to go with whoever's hot.

HomeFish
06-06-2004, 10:59 AM
The national announcers for yesterday's game were very harsh on Uribe, continously pointing out that he was reverting to some of his bad NL habits that made him such an inconsistent player; they kept repeating "spinning on his back legs", which he was doing a lot of, leading to many pathetic swings on balls down and outside.

If the old Juan Uribe is back, that's trouble indeed.

samram
06-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Uribe has cooled down and is throwing a wet blanket over the hot top of the order: Harris-Uribe-Thomas-Lee (which one of these things don't belong with the other).

We would be much better off to move Uribe down to 7th in the order until the bat heats up.

Ever since he was fingered as an every day player he has struggled. In the last 7 days he is batting .120 (Crede is batting .330 in the same period). This is killing us since somone (namely Harris) is usually on base.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. The problem is who gets moved up? I don't think Jose can do it. CLee has to be in a run production spot with Maggs out. I wish Olivo was hitting better, becuase his speed would be good up there. There's not many good options for the two hole if Uribe doesn't hit well- unless Reed gets called up.

jabrch
06-06-2004, 11:33 AM
HOGWASH

During the last 10 games Uribe is hitting 13 for 46 (.282) and has walked 5 times in that stretch (obp = .353)

And you want to move him down in the lineup? It's amazing the stupid ideas that come up after a few losses in a week.

Jjav829
06-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
HOGWASH

During the last 10 games Uribe is hitting 13 for 46 (.282) and has walked 5 times in that stretch (obp = .353)

And you want to move him down in the lineup? It's amazing the stupid ideas that come up after a few losses in a week.

I agree. Did anyone actually expect him to keep hitting .360? If you did, then you're setting the bar for Uribe way too high.

Hell, if anything it will be easier for him to break out of his "slump" in the two hole. With Wee Willie getting on base in front of him, and Frank behind him, Uribe suddenly becomes the least of the pitchers concerns. Pitchers will become more worried with Willie stealing 2nd and the possibility of having 2 men on base for Frank, meaning better pitches for Juan as long as he can remain somewhat patient.

Bucktown
06-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Hell, if anything it will be easier for him to break out of his "slump" in the two hole. With Wee Willie getting on base in front of him, and Frank behind him, Uribe suddenly becomes the least of the pitchers concerns. [/B]
Using this logic any slumping player should be inserted between the two hottest hitting players. I am not buying that at all.

I guess we will see how Uribe does tonight. Perhpas yuou guys are right. Perhaps he will stop popping out with batters in scoring position and we will break out of this slide.

jabrch
06-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Using this logic any slumping player should be inserted between the two hottest hitting players. I am not buying that at all.

I guess we will see how Uribe does tonight. Perhpas yuou guys
are right. Perhaps he will stop popping out with batters in scoring position and we will break out of this slide.


No - but a guy hitting .320 - who is "slumping" deserves to still be hitting in the same slot that he has been hitting in. I don't think he will "stop popping out with batters in scoring position" because every player does that sometimes. Geez - Pujols does it - Vlad does it - Frank does it - so has Uribe. Uribe has, more often than anyone except Frank and Willie, gotten on base when he stepped into the box. He is second on the team in runs scored, and in SBs as well as 5th in HRs.

Why in the heck is it a good idea to move him down in the order after a few "slumping" days during which he hit .280 to bring his average all the way down to .320? I just don't get it. It's as if we have Wade Boggs waiting in the wings to hit #2.

HomeFish
06-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
No - but a guy hitting .320 - who is "slumping" deserves to still be hitting in the same slot that he has been hitting in.

Ahem. Kenny Lofton, anyone?

Bucktown
06-06-2004, 03:59 PM
You have to recognize who is hot and who is not and adjust the lineup accordingly. I am not advocating we bench Uribe. Just realize that he is really struggling right now.

Who cares about his season average or his lifetime average (.266). He is .120 in the last week and clearly struggling to make good contact (7 strike outs and 6 pop outs in 21 June plate appearances). Consequently, he is leaving men on base (stranding 14 with only one RBI).

If we wait for Uribe's average to drop below .280 then the damage will have already been done by that point.

Willie
06-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
You have to recognize who is hot and who is not and adjust the lineup accordingly. I am not advocating we bench Uribe. Just realize that he is really struggling right now.

Who cares about his season average or his lifetime average (.266). He is .120 in the last week and clearly struggling to make good contact (7 strike outs and 6 pop outs in 21 June plate appearances). Consequently, he is leaving men on base (stranding 14 with only one RBI).

If we wait for Uribe's average to drop below .280 then the damage will have already been done by that point.

With that logic, Crede should be in single A somewhere with as much as he has struggled in the first half.

Bucktown
06-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Willie
With that logic, Crede should be in single A somewhere with as much as he has struggled in the first half.
Dude, I said move them in the order to recognize who is hot and who is not. How do you get moving someone to a different organization? Thanks for the straw man.

Willie
06-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Dude, I said move them in the order to recognize who is hot and who is not. How do you get moving someone to a different organization? Thanks for the straw man.

Haha. I know. I was just saying, if hitting somebody is hitting .320 in June, that's cool if they have a slump for a week. Just saying that peeps like Crede need to step it up and carry the team like he did or be sent to the minors. I didn't say anything about any other organization, so I'm not sure WHERE you got that from, considering that was your whole statment.

fquaye149
06-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Using this logic any slumping player should be inserted between the two hottest hitting players. I am not buying that at all.

I guess we will see how Uribe does tonight. Perhpas yuou guys are right. Perhaps he will stop popping out with batters in scoring position and we will break out of this slide.

and using your logic, we should move any player out of the spot he's been hitting in for quite a while just because of a week's hot or cold streak

:jerry:
"they're finally buying into the system!"

Bucktown
06-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
and using your logic, we should move any player out of the spot he's been hitting in for quite a while just because of a week's hot or cold streak
I see, so you believe Valentin should be batting second, using the same lineup as opening day. It is sort of like an entitlement.

fquaye149
06-06-2004, 07:21 PM
absolutely not

i think though if we have been successful in the past month with uribe in the two spot we shouldn't drop him because of one below average week

Bucktown
06-06-2004, 08:13 PM
I think moving Uribe to the number one spot gets him out of the way of the hot hitters without demoting him. Good move by Ozzie.

Bucktown
06-08-2004, 09:24 PM
As I was saying, we should move Uribe down in the order. To 3rd or 4th. It doesn't make sense for a home run hitter like him to be batting 2nd.

RedPinStripes
06-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
As I was saying, we should move Uribe down in the order. To 3rd or 4th. It doesn't make sense for a home run hitter like him to be batting 2nd. the 2 spot is working fine . He might hit 25 this this year if he's lucky. Ventura did just fine in 93 in the 2 spot. I cant remember if he hit 27 or 34 that year, but it's morte then Uribe will hit imo.

JasonC23
06-09-2004, 09:00 AM
It's funny, I was in the middle of telling my wife how Uribe is returning to his established level and it's almost too bad that he got off to such a great start because Ozzie will be reluctant to sit him even if he's hitting poorly...and then he hit a home run.

So the next time he came up, I did the same thing...and he hit another home run.

So the next time, I just shut the hell up and watched him hit. :D:

Bucktown
06-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by JasonC23
So the next time, I just shut the hell up and watched him hit. :D:
You and me both.

Iguana775
06-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by JasonC23
It's funny, I was in the middle of telling my wife how Uribe is returning to his established level and it's almost too bad that he got off to such a great start because Ozzie will be reluctant to sit him even if he's hitting poorly...and then he hit a home run.

So the next time he came up, I did the same thing...and he hit another home run.

So the next time, I just shut the hell up and watched him hit. :D:

No!!! keep talking trash about him and maybe he will never cool off! lol. :supernana: