PDA

View Full Version : Green seat image!

cpsoxfan
06-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Okay, it's not the best looking picture, but just IMAGINE what USCF would look like with the green seats!

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Pretty Sweet! :)

CLR01
06-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Looks the same to me. Certainly wont bring anymore fans to the ballpark.

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
Looks the same to me. Certainly wont bring anymore fans to the ballpark. Whether more fans come or not isn't the point. It just looks better, so why not?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Hey, that's pretty cool. Can you show us how the Cell's seats would look with the burnt rainbow colors, ala the Houston Astrodome?

What the hell. If we need to pick a color, we might as well make an informed choice.

:)

greenpeach
06-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by cpsoxfan
Okay, it's not the best looking picture, but just IMAGINE what USCF would look like with the green seats!

I would rather imagine what the flag pole would look like with an American League Pennant flag attached to it. :smile:

MisterB
06-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Ah, but do you want that in Forest Green...

MisterB
06-05-2004, 02:06 PM
..or "Old Comiskey" light green?

illinibk
06-05-2004, 02:06 PM
What's the obsession with green seats? IMO great seats make the park look like every other park built in the last 10-12 years. At least the blue seats are unique and add some character to the ball park. If people are so hell bent on wanting different colored seats, why not get black seats? And don't give me that crap about the seats being hot, because the blue seats get pretty damn hot now and green seats would be just as hot as black seats.

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Wow, nice work Mr. B. That looks sharp, I'm torn between what shade I want. :D:

Out of the two, I like the Forest over the Sea Green. :smile:

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by illinibk
What's the obsession with green seats? IMO great seats make the park look like every other park built in the last 10-12 years. At least the blue seats are unique and add some character to the ball park. If people are so hell bent on wanting different colored seats, why not get black seats? And don't give me that crap about the seats being hot, because the blue seats get pretty damn hot now and green seats would be just as hot as black seats. Silver might be cool, get to work Mr. B. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Wow, nice work Mr. B. That looks sharp, I'm torn between what shade I want. :D:

Astros! Astros! Astros! Astros! Astros! :smile:

Astros
Astros
Astros
Astros

illinibk
06-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Silver might be cool, get to work Mr. B. :D:

I like that idea

SoxEd
06-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Silver might be cool, get to work Mr. B. :D:

This is probably a Big Ask for you Photoshoppers out there, but what about a majority background field of Silver seats with the words 'Sox' or 'White Sox' or even 'Chicago White Sox' picked out on it in black seats?

Edit: I too like the Forest Green of the two choices above, but it does make the stadium look kinda like the All England Tennis Club at Wimbledon.

CLR01
06-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Whether more fans come or not isn't the point. It just looks better, so why not?

Good point lets blow 100 grand just to make the seats look better.

CLR01
06-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
..or "Old Comiskey" light green?

That is even worse than the blue.

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Good point lets blow 100 grand just to make the seats look better. The money only can go to renovations anyway, so what's a $100,000 for a major visual improvement in the park? I think it's a no brainer personally.

Jjav829
06-05-2004, 02:25 PM
The money only can go to renovations anyway, so what's a $100,000 for a major visual improvement in the park? I think it's a no brainer personally.

It would be more in the $3 million range than in the $100,000 range. If it cost $100,000 it would be a no brainer.

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
It would be more in the $3 million range than in the $100,000 range. If it cost $100,000 it would be a no brainer. I was responding to his figure, but I still would do it anyway. The seats are a top complaint about the Cell, and if it costs $3 million to fix it, I'm sure many would appreciate it. I would at least. Will I attend fewer games if they don't, no. But it would be nice, and there are a lot of fans that would like to see it. It's money well spent IMO.

cpsoxfan
06-05-2004, 02:35 PM
I'll take the forrest green!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by SoxEd
This is probably a Big Ask for you Photoshoppers out there, but what about a majority background field of Silver seats with the words 'Sox' or 'White Sox' or even 'Chicago White Sox' picked out on it in black seats?

I made a similar suggestion a couple years ago. Leave the seats blue but spell out the words "Chicago White Sox" from corner to corner in the upper deck. Everybody flying into and out of Chicago will see it, not to mention the hundreds of thousands driving pass the Cell on I-90/94.

Great minds think alike, Ed. :smile:

LongLiveFisk
06-05-2004, 03:53 PM
I like the darker shade of green you see in Camden Yards and (I think) Comerica Park.

But I did also think about silver, which would be great too, seeing as the Sox colors are supposed to be silver and black :smile:

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Realist
06-05-2004, 05:11 PM
I actually like the Old Comiskey Green. I'd like to see what silver would look like.

voodoochile
06-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Good point lets blow 100 grand just to make the seats look better.

100 grand? More like $2M. Those babys are extruded plastic designed to support big fat people without breaking. You probably cannot paint them so you would have to replace them 40K seats at around $50 a pop, IMO. That might not include the labor...

batmanZoSo
06-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
100 grand? More like $2M. Those babys are extruded plastic designed to support big fat people without breaking. You probably cannot paint them so you would have to replace them 40K seats at around $50 a pop, IMO. That might not include the labor...

Will WSI start a pro bono seat replacement effort?

:reinsy
Me likey very much!

http://www.scaryfaces.com/img/disg/1540ex.jpg

Get your hard hats boys!

batmanZoSo
06-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by cpsoxfan

I think someone traveled to the future and took a picture...an April day game in 2005. :smile:

I never thought it would look that much better. Amazing. Thanks both a yous guys.

LongLiveFisk
06-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Ah yes, but in the true spirit of capitalism they will recover some of the funds by selling the blue seats to Sox fans to add to their collection of unique, novelty items no "true" fan would want to miss! :)

pinwheels3530
06-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Another vote for Forest Green.

pearso66
06-05-2004, 08:52 PM
How about grey, like all the poles in the park are becoming. It wouldnt attract as much sun as Black would, and just about as much as Forest Green. Plus it would match with the park, and I'm sure no one has Grey, so we can be unique

Frank the Tank
06-05-2004, 09:13 PM
The light green is disgusting, but I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!.

A.T. Money
06-05-2004, 10:35 PM
The forest green looks great. Not sure how MisterB did that. I have some photoshop experience, and that looked like a TON of work.

The old Comiskey green looks cool, but a little too minty. I think old Comiskey was more of a kelly green.

Whitesox029
06-05-2004, 11:25 PM
mmmmmmm....greeeeeeeen seeeeeeaaaaaats......
I was just thinking....we need a homer simpson tag. SOMEONE GET ON THAT!

skobabe8
06-06-2004, 12:46 AM
As long as we're gonna get into detail...

I think we should have a scoreboard pinwheel on each seat with the seat number inside it. that would look sooooooooooo cooooooooooool.

As far as color is concerned, i think the gray/silver debate is interesting. Forest green would obviously look good b/c it always does. That old comiskey green, i dont know. first thought was 'no', but it kinda grew on me.

mdep524
06-06-2004, 02:15 AM
Love the forest green, even more than I thought I would.

HomerCoach
06-06-2004, 07:46 AM
Forest green looks fantastic!

illinibk
06-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by HomerCoach
Forest green looks fantastic!

Yeah, it does look good, but it looks like every other new park. What's wrong with the Cell looking unique?

CubKilla
06-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by illinibk
Yeah, it does look good, but it looks like every other new park. What's wrong with the Cell looking unique?

The Cell is unique. It's a great example of what not to do when building a new ballpark.

Additionally, the blue seats now look like crap since the overall "greening" of The Cell.

And blue seats aren't unique. They're in a few other ballparks.

Huisj
06-06-2004, 12:36 PM
i know this will make people crap rocks, but i actually like the blue better than either of those green pictures. the pictures with the green seats just don't look like a sox game for some reason. i've come to identify sox games with blue seats in recent years. green looks like everywhere else. and why is blue such a hated, awful color? would the world look better if moss grew in the sky so it was green? i guess i just don't understand why the world has come to think that green=baseball.

also, wouldn't the grey/silver look that some people are suggesting give that much more a a "mall" look that the media rips on so much? i just seems like it would make the stadium really blah inside if there was no nice color.

Hangar18
06-06-2004, 12:37 PM
I like the images of the 2 greens. Gives Very Good Evidence
for the seat changes. I laughed my butt off at the old Comiskey mint green seats. Now that the park has been "greened", I think I do favor the Dark Green seats now.
Personally, I like the blue seats, they look good and are somewhat unique, and dont know what the fuss is all about, except the SOX were totally trying to copy the Yankees and Dodgers when they chose that seat color, and stadium style.
I do now vote for Dark Green

mrwag
06-06-2004, 02:04 PM
A lot of the seats now are really starting to show their age. Since they are being replaced, might as well pick a new color. I vote for a darker green, like the new seats in the fan deck in CF.

SpringfldFan
06-06-2004, 03:09 PM
How about something that looks truly unique and really retro. It is totally impossible, but imagine if you will... paint the seats imitation wood complete with woodgrain!

1951Campbell
06-06-2004, 03:14 PM
One vote for "Old Comiskey Green."

minastirith67
06-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by SoxEd

Edit: I too like the Forest Green of the two choices above, but it does make the stadium look kinda like the All England Tennis Club at Wimbledon.

I like your idea. Much like Old Trafford and other football stadiums.

dickallen15
06-06-2004, 04:13 PM
With a lot of fans obsession with green seats, maybe they should just make the upper deck seats green. Maybe that will attract people to sit up there.

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 04:51 PM
I actually like the green that was used by the starter of this thread the most. It seems like that would go best with the other green things in the park already.

hsnterprize
06-06-2004, 05:11 PM
I'll cast my vote for the "forest green" , but that "old Comiskey light green" image was SWEET!!!!! It brought back a few memories for me. Kinda makes me wish the new roof had more "arches" in its design to really bring back the Old Comiskey Park look and feel.

I agree that new colored seats won't guarantee bigger attendance at the Cell. But seeing the pictures does make the place look a lot better than it does now. Not that the Cell looks bad, but I can't wait for the announcements for the final phases of renovation other than the "Fundamentals" area in left field.

Let me say for the record that idea is pretty neat. I read the thread which Hangar18 and others complained about it. Here's my take. We're looking for something unique that makes our ballpark stand out from the others...right? Too many other new places try to "carbon copy" their own version of what's hot. If you don't believe me, then why did every new ballpark since Oriole Park at Camden Yards (or OP@CY) try to imitate OP@CY's "retro looks" in one way or another? Think about it...new parks have everything from Fenway Park-styled oversized walls (Cleveland and Colorado for example), quirky corners and assymetrical dimensions, and other stuff which makes their place the "tourist hot spot" of their city.

U.S. Cellular Field is NOT a tourist attraction. That's good and bad if you think about it. It's good because we know the majority of people who go there are there to watch baseball. However, that's bad because the casual fans are being told over and over again it's not a "hip" spot, and attendance story after attendance story keeps people away. Even with the similarities with modern ballparks, each place has its own unique qualities. OP@CY has the warehouse in right, SBC has a kids park with an oversized Coke bottle and baseball glove in left and McCovey Cove in right, Coors Field has microbreweries in the concourse and a row of pruple seats marking fans being 1 mile above sea level, Bank One Ballpark has a retractable roof, etc., etc. My point...if those place can have something to distinguish themselves, why can't we? A "ballpark within a ballpark" isn't a bad idea at all. Not to mention, how do we know that area won't double up as a family-friendly fan deck to watch games in? And...who will complain when the first home run is hit up there (other than someone from the visiting team hit it)? The first dinger to land on the center field fan deck isn't too far off, folks.

I'm sure the Cell will get it's green seats and upper deck in right like many of us want. That'll be good. But...the ultimate renovation all of us would like to see is a World Series Championship flag flying above the outfield concourse for the world to see.

Wsoxmike59
06-06-2004, 05:13 PM

The forest green seats makes for a splendid almost panoramic backdrop against the playing surface field of green. It seems to encompass the entire playing field. A real nice contrast in colors. Good job Mr. B and thanks for posting the choices of the forest green & the nostalgic old Comiskey Park light green. It was nice to see a side by side comparison.

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
And...who will complain when the first home run is hit up there (other than someone from the visiting team hit it)? The first dinger to land on the center field fan deck isn't too far off, folks.

That would have to be a loooooong home run to get up to the fan deck, probably about 480 feet and I cant remember many home runs that long. Even during the HR derby the furthest one "only" went about 480 (off the bat of Pujols). It's also probably about 460 feet to where that new fundamentals will be. As the park is configured now, there are no "special" places that Home run balls can realisitically land because of the amount of seats in the outfield. At its closest point if a batter pulled one down the line in left or right field it would probably be at least 430 to the concourse. I think I've seen one go to the concourse on TV just once. I remember last year, Bonds just murdered one into deeeeep right field. It was about 470 feet and it was only about 2/3 up the seats.

hsnterprize
06-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
That would have to be a loooooong home run to get up to the fan deck, probably about 480 feet and I cant remember many home runs that long. Even during the HR derby the furthest one "only" went about 480 (off the bat of Pujols). It's also probably about 460 feet to where that new fundamentals will be. As the park is configured now, there are no "special" places that Home run balls can realisitically land because of the amount of seats in the outfield. At its closest point if a batter pulled one down the line in left or right field it would probably be at least 430 to the concourse. I think I've seen one go to the concourse on TV just once. I remember last year, Bonds just murdered one into deeeeep right field. It was about 470 feet and it was only about 2/3 up the seats. That may be true, but the idea of putting a ball up there, whether in a game or a home-run hitting contest, will be a thought for hitters.

Admittedly, the Cell is a BIG ballpark, and even the longest HR's don't look so long on TV since there are so many seats in the outfield. Still, with the way hitters are today...it can be done. Look at Richie Sexson's HR in Arizona, or some of McGuire's dingers. Even Glenallen Hill of the sCrUBS hit one that landed on the rooftops across from Wrigley once. So as far as I'm concerned, if super-long shots can be hit there...why not our place. They'll look a little more glamourous when they land in something like a fan deck instead of just the last row of seats in the bleachers.

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
That may be true, but the idea of putting a ball up there, whether in a game or a home-run hitting contest, will be a thought for hitters.

Admittedly, the Cell is a BIG ballpark, and even the longest HR's don't look so long on TV since there are so many seats in the outfield. Still, with the way hitters are today...it can be done. Look at Richie Sexson's HR in Arizona, or some of McGuire's dingers. Even Glenallen Hill of the sCrUBS hit one that landed on the rooftops across from Wrigley once. So as far as I'm concerned, if super-long shots can be hit there...why not our place. They'll look a little more glamourous when they land in something like a fan deck instead of just the last row of seats in the bleachers.

Sexson had that 503 foot blast, then Bonds had a 470 foot blast off Ben Ford for his 660th career home run, then you've got the rest of the homers at about 458 and below. But usually homers of more than 470 feet dont happen but maybe a few times a year. The ball doesnt carry as well at the Cell as it does when the wind is blowing out extremely at Wrigley which is why it cant happen at the cell. Bonds is Bonds and the Sexson blast was just freakish.

Brian26
06-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
At its closest point if a batter pulled one down the line in left or right field it would probably be at least 430 to the concourse. I think I've seen one go to the concourse on TV just once.

In 2000, A-Rod hit a screaming line drive that went across the concourse and bounced up against the back wall. This was in leftfield, just right of the Hat Corner. I was standing right there and missed the ball by a matter of inches.

GregoryEtc
06-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by skobabe8
As long as we're gonna get into detail...

I think we should have a scoreboard pinwheel on each seat with the seat number inside it. that would look sooooooooooo cooooooooooool.

Brilliant!

I LOVE this idea.....

and to all of you saying "leave them blue...leave them blue!"

They're not leaving them anything....they've already said they are replacing the seats no matter what because they are nearing the age of replacement anyway.... So either way, we're getting some new seats....

Don't expect them to replace the blue seats with other blue seats.

nitetrain8601
06-07-2004, 12:20 AM
i would go with silver, but the thing is the color of the seats should b an accent color to the charcoal gray thats already around the park. And they already painted the fence green so now we have to have those damn green seats.

If your biggest complaints are about seats then obviously you belong on the northside. You're there to watch the game, not the seats.

MRKARNO
06-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by nitetrain8601
i would go with silver, but the thing is the color of the seats should b an accent color to the charcoal gray thats already around the park. And they already painted the fence green so now we have to have those damn green seats.

If your biggest complaints are about seats then obviously you belong on the northside. You're there to watch the game, not the seats.

Silver would be just terrible.

CWSGuy406
06-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Can one of you guys use photoshop and try making the seats black or a grayish/charcoalish/silver color? I think that would look great but I'd like to see...

jlh0023
06-07-2004, 12:29 AM
:threadsucks

why the hell should we waste money on such a trivial useless thing as green seats, when we can't even maintain a solid payroll. get over it, the 'lets get green seats' movement is the stupidest thing to argue about EVER.

The Big Squirt
06-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Just a note about painting plastic...

It can be done...as a matter of fact they sell a spraypaint at hardware stores that can paint plastic...so you can touch up all of that lawn furniture and such

So it is a possibility.

Rush20
06-07-2004, 11:11 AM
I like the forest green. I think this is the direction the brass are heading in. I also think they might upgrade the seats in the lower box, similar to the newer ballparks where the seats are wider with padding, etc. Hopefully they will fill in the umpire tunne with new seats as well.

Regarding the request for silver and black seats, although I respect your loyalty to the team uniform, the combination is pretty bad IMO. If you want to actually see how this looks, attend a concert at the Tweeter Center in Tinley Park. I was there for Rush on Saturday (GREAT-GREAT SHOW BTW!) and the seats in section 103 alternate rows of black and grey. Pretty nasty looking.

soxnut
06-07-2004, 11:13 AM
I love the pictures of the green seats, and I suppose we would get the forest green color. But the light green is interesting. There is no way I'd ever want silver or black seats. I think that would look awful. I'm tired of "black" everything anyway. I wish the Sox would change colors. I'm tired of all of the black t-shirts and and every gift shop item being black---good lord--I think I' m turning into my dad :?:

But, whatever green they choose, I hope they make the seats a little bit wider-- There are too many of you fatsos that take over my seating space. :(: