PDA

View Full Version : Yankees looking at Garcia

Jerry_Manuel
06-05-2004, 12:51 PM
From the SouthTown:

Thanks to the New York Yankees, the ante just got higher in the high-stakes poker game for Seattle starting pitcher Freddy Garcia. The question now is whether the Sox will stay in or fold.

According to several publications in New York and Seattle, the Yankees are willing to package struggling pitcher Jose Contreras to the Mariners for Garcia. The sticking point in the deal is how much of Contreras' four-year, $32 million contract New York is willing to pick up.

Seattle, along with the Yankees and Boston, had been in the bidding for Contreras after he defected from Cuba in 2002.

Garcia is a free agent at the end of this season. Entering Friday night's start against the Sox with a 3-3 record and 3.01 ERA, he is one of the most coveted pitchers available at this point of the season.

White Sox general manager Ken Williams has spent much of the past two weeks trying to get a deal done for a starting pitcher.

"If there are any bullets to fire, I'm going to fire them at (adding) pitching," Williams said Thursday.

One major league scout said the Sox have been looking at Garcia closely the past two weeks. The scout also indicated there have been several Mariners scouts watching the Sox's Triple-A team.

"There's no question that there are talks going on," the scout said. "It seems like it's just a matter of getting the right players in the mix."

Seattle, which entered Friday's action in last place 13 games behind the first-place Anaheim Angels in the American League West, appears to be interested in pitcher Jon Rauch, but the Mariners also are believed to be seeking a combination of young hitters from the Sox. Outfielder Joe Borchard, the Sox's first-round pick in the 2000 draft, may be one player on Seattle's list.

According to the scout, Williams has told Seattle that top prospect Jeremy Reed, an outfielder, is an "untouchable" at this point.

"Kenny would love to get a deal done sooner than later," the scout said. "The longer it drags on, the higher the asking price will get (for Garcia). That's when New York becomes the favorite."

soxnut
06-05-2004, 01:04 PM
I don't know why the Mariners would bother with the Yankees on that deal. They'd be better off going with the Sox deal. How much up-side is there to Contreras when the M's look like they're going to have to start bilding a younger team. By dealing Rauch and another young player like Borchard and/or someone else. It would be a much better deal for them.(As well as for the Sox of course). And I'd love to stick it to the Yankees. :D:

pinwheels3530
06-05-2004, 01:08 PM
From what I hear the Yankees don't have much of a farm system filled with young prospects, so if the M's are looking to go young, I think the Sox should have the advantage.

soxnut
06-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
From what I hear the Yankees don't have much of a farm system filled with young prospects, so if the M's are looking to go young, I think the Sox should have the advantage.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. :cool:

soxtalker
06-05-2004, 01:12 PM
This should be merged with the Garcia thread. Both are providing interesting tidbits of information regarding Garcia. In the other one, there was a report that KW said that Borchard won't be part of any deal. I agree that the Yankees reported offer doesn't make much sense if Seattle wants to go young and inexpensive. Rauch might look pretty appealing to them.

Mickster
06-05-2004, 01:22 PM
The Yankees will continue to be the Yankees if a team like Seattle would take Contreras plus cash for Garcia. If teams would just stop dealing with the Yankmees, it would eventually just even the playing field a little. George screwed up by offering Contreras 32M over 4 years. Unfortunately, he has the cash to "clean-up" his mastake. I would like nothing more than to see Contreras rot in the Yankees bullpen at 8M per for the next 3 seasons......

MRKARNO
06-05-2004, 01:43 PM
The question is whether or not the Mariners actually want to deal with that headcase who always seems to find a new mechanical flaw. He has awesome stuff as displayed in his half season last year, but I dont see them taking Contreras unless the Yankees pick up all but 1,000,000 a year of the contract. Why would the M's want to spend all that money on Contreras when they could work with a Rauch or a Felix Diaz just as easily? While it might be a good fit for them if they have to keep waiting for KW to pull the trigger, I just dont think Cashman really wants to admit how big of a mistake he made on Contreras to the point of paying practically the entire contract. I still think we could have Freddy pretty darn soon. KW would like to get something done by June 12th.

And BTW the 5th starter is very important later on in the year because we have very few off days down the stretch (only one in the final month) so that would really really help us to get him any time before then.

34 Inch Stick
06-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Doesn't upping the ante imply that your bet is lower than the current one? Didn't Contreras get sent to A this year? Sounds like Joe Cowley must have written this piece.

I am very confident the White Sox will get Garcia before July for Rauch and Rowand with possibly a low minor leaguer thrown in.