PDA

View Full Version : The First Base Decision

RKMeibalane
06-05-2004, 11:56 AM
First things first: When the White Sox play interleague road games at Florida and Montreal later this month, Ozzie Guillen is going to have to decide between Paul Konerko and Frank Thomas as his first baseman.

Thomas, the regular designated hitter, has yet to play the position this season.

"It's going to be real hard for me to make that decision,'' Guillen said. "Maybe Frank one day, Konerko the next day. I have to keep those two guys sharp. We'll see how it works.''

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Sounds reasonable, and probably the best solution.

gosox41
06-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
First things first: When the White Sox play interleague road games at Florida and Montreal later this month, Ozzie Guillen is going to have to decide between Paul Konerko and Frank Thomas as his first baseman.

Thomas, the regular designated hitter, has yet to play the position this season.

"It's going to be real hard for me to make that decision,'' Guillen said. "Maybe Frank one day, Konerko the next day. I have to keep those two guys sharp. We'll see how it works.''

The best solution is to play Frank at 1B everyday. He is definitely more prodcutive then Konerko, even if Konerko is having a nice bounce back year.

Bob

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
The best solution is to play Frank at 1B everyday. He is definitely more prodcutive then Konerko, even if Konerko is having a nice bounce back year.

Bob And just let Konerko slump it up on the bench? It's nice to be able to keep Frank in the lineup everyday, but it's counter productive to erase all of Konerko's at bats. He's going good right now, and benching him for 6 straight games with hurt him, and then hurt us as well.

illinibk
06-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Ozzie should really just turn PK into a workhorse of a 5th starter who can pitch everday. Kills two birds with one stone.

JRIG
06-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
And just let Konerko slump it up on the bench? It's nice to be able to keep Frank in the lineup everyday, but it's counter productive to erase all of Konerko's at bats. He's going good right now, and benching him for 6 straight games with hurt him, and then hurt us as well.

Well, he wouldn't just sit on the bench anyway. He'd be the first pinch hitter off the bench and would get in the game via some double switches, I would imagine.

If the goal is to win games, Frank can't sit on the bench. If the goal is to make sure Paul feels good and won't accidently get in a slump (even though he'd still get ABs and take batting practice), then sure, play Paulie.

Taking nothing away from how well Konerko has played this season. But he's no Frank. Frank makes this offense go, and has since 1991.

gosox41
06-05-2004, 03:23 PM
And just let Konerko slump it up on the bench? It's nice to be able to keep Frank in the lineup everyday, but it's counter productive to erase all of Konerko's at bats. He's going good right now, and benching him for 6 straight games with hurt him, and then hurt us as well.

I'd use PK as the primary pinch hitter off the bench and would consider using him as part of a double switch at 1B when the situation arose.

IMHO, the more productive hitter should get the most at bats. In this case I think Frank is mor productive this season and that warrants him getting a good majority of at bats.

Now that I think more about it, this 6 game strectch is a good time for Frank to take a day off to get PK fresh. I'd let PK start one of the games and just use him off the bench for the rest.

Bob

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Well, he wouldn't just sit on the bench anyway. He'd be the first pinch hitter off the bench and would get in the game via some double switches, I would imagine.

If the goal is to win games, Frank can't sit on the bench. If the goal is to make sure Paul feels good and won't accidently get in a slump (even though he'd still get ABs and take batting practice), then sure, play Paulie.

Taking nothing away from how well Konerko has played this season. But he's no Frank. Frank makes this offense go, and has since 1991. Konerko has been very vocal on the offensive end as well, so there is no reason to bench him for every game just to keep Frank in the lineup. Frank should for sure get playing time there, but benching Konerko for six straighty games and regulating him to pinch hitting duties will hurt his game. Frank is a great hitter, but PK is a better first baseman. We'll see what Ozzie wants to do, but it appears he is in agreement with me. Shutting down Konerko will hurt us.

gosox41
06-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Konerko has been very vocal on the offensive end as well, so there is no reason to bench him for every game just to keep Frank in the lineup. Frank should for sure get playing time there, but benching Konerko for six straighty games and regulating him to pinch hitting duties will hurt his game. Frank is a great hitter, but PK is a better first baseman. We'll see what Ozzie wants to do, but it appears he is in agreement with me. Shutting down Konerko will hurt us.

The difference in defensivel ability isn't that great to make up for the difference in offense. First base is one of the most overrated positions for defense. Obiovusly you need a guy who can move out there, but tradiitionally first base if an offensive based posiiton.

It's nice to have a gold glover there (something neither PK or Frank is) but it's more important for golg glove defense at SS, CF, and Catcher.

Ironic you mention PK's D. And keep in mind I'm not saying bench him because his defense sucks or anything like that, but did you see him muff that Ichior foul ball last night in the 8th inning? I thought for sure it was going to come back and bite us.

Bob

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
The difference in defensivel ability isn't that great to make up for the difference in offense. First base is one of the most overrated positions for defense. Obiovusly you need a guy who can move out there, but tradiitionally first base if an offensive based posiiton.

It's nice to have a gold glover there (something neither PK or Frank is) but it's more important for golg glove defense at SS, CF, and Catcher.

Ironic you mention PK's D. And keep in mind I'm not saying bench him because his defense sucks or anything like that, but did you see him muff that Ichior foul ball last night in the 8th inning? I thought for sure it was going to come back and bite us.

Bob I'm not referring to Frank's range, he's a good first baseman and can pick the ball well. He just can't throw. PK has been hitting the ball well, so I don't understand this talk like we will have a liability with PK instead of Frank. Is Frank a better hitter, for sure. Is he so much better that I'm going to bench PK for six games and ruin his groove at the plate? No.

gosox41
06-05-2004, 07:59 PM
I'm not referring to Frank's range, he's a good first baseman and can pick the ball well. He just can't throw. PK has been hitting the ball well, so I don't understand this talk like we will have a liability with PK instead of Frank. Is Frank a better hitter, for sure. Is he so much better that I'm going to bench PK for six games and ruin his groove at the plate? No.

Fine. Bench PK for 5 games so Frank get a day off. The other 5 games PK will be used as the primary right handed pinch hitter off the bench when a double switch is called for. Seems like a good solution to me.

Know that PK was going to get at least one at bat in 5 games and 4 in the sixth it shouldn't ice him too bad. I'm of the belief that you put in your best to win. Overall, Frank is a better option then PK at 1B even though PK is having a nice rebound year.

Bob

Dan Gelo
06-05-2004, 08:14 PM
The Friends of Gload have spoken :D:

rahulsekhar
06-05-2004, 08:20 PM
How bad would it be to play Paulie in RF? I know he hasn't done itina while, but how hard can it be to be at a passable fielder.

That's a huge offensive improvement ovr ARow/Gload.

guillen4life13
06-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Hey there, Jerry. How've you been since they fired you?

That sounds like what happened last year with putting Josh Paul in left field.

:D:

A. Cavatica
06-05-2004, 08:27 PM
I already suggested in another thread that Frank should catch. I was using Sealgep's logic -- it's only temporary so it can't be a bad idea.

FarWestChicago
06-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
How bad would it be to play Paulie in RF? I know he hasn't done itina while, but how hard can it be to be at a passable fielder.The man who doesn't need slow motion replays? Any ball not hit right at him has inside the park potential. :o:

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
I already suggested in another thread that Frank should catch. I was using Sealgep's logic -- it's only temporary so it can't be a bad idea. What? Don't think so hard, you're confusing yourself.

batmanZoSo
06-05-2004, 09:24 PM

Thomas has a 15 game hitting streak and he's just plain better than Konerko. I'll take the defensive risk any day. Knowing how he hits as a first baseman, he can probably cause a few unearned runs and it won't matter.

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Thomas has a 15 game hitting streak and he's just plain better than Konerko. I'll take the defensive risk any day. Knowing how he hits as a first baseman, he can probably cause a few unearned runs and it won't matter. I'm not saying Frank shouldn't play the majority of the games, but six games is a lot to sit out. Pinch hitting isn't going to allow him to continue to see the ball well. Obviously Ozzie knows Frank is better, but he too recognizes what I'm saying. That's why he plays the bench guys a lot as well. People need to be playing often if you want to be able to depend on them, and if you want them to have confidence. Ozzie can do what he wants, but I say PK needs to be in two of the games, and in at least one in Wrigley.

EDIT- Unless of course from now until then you can't tell the difference between him and Crede.