PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas on the way to an MVP calibur season

MRKARNO
06-05-2004, 01:44 AM
I think after today's performance that I'm pretty convinced the Thomas is going to be incredible this year and will deliver a campaign as good as 2000.

The fact that Thomas is hitting .298 and with a normal day tomorrow could be over .300 helps, but these numbers do too (all AL ranks):

Thomas's OPS of 1.062 is third in the AL behind Mora (who could be expected to fall off a bit) and Manny (whom Frank is not too far behind)

Thomas is second in OBP (.464) to Mora, again who is very likely to fall off from that very very high level of play. Only 11 players have an OBP of .400 or better in the AL.

Thomas is fourth in slugging to Manny, Vlad and Mora. Vlad possibly could cool off due to his less patient ways than Manny or Frank.

Thomas is way back in RBI, but he's been quickly climbing in that category.

Thomas's numbers in the 3 hole:

.400 (12 for 30) average, .514 OBP, 1.314 OPS, 3 HR, 3 2B

Also, since May 18th (aka during the 14 game hit streak):

.407 (22 for 54) 5 HR, 15 RBI (I dont know OBP or OPS)

That's just amazing. I dont care who the hell was hitting in the 3 hole before you just cant move Frank back down when maggs comes back. Maggs is a good four hitter and Frank is the best three hitter in baseball

In the commercial Ozzie said of Frank something to the effect of "I expect Frank to have an MVP-type season."

Me too Ozzie.

pinwheels3530
06-05-2004, 04:51 AM
If he keeps hitting the way he's hitting I expect him to be in Houston for the All Star Game, he deserves to go and Joe Torre better not take 10 yankees with him then tell everyone he had no room for Frank. :angry:

gosox41
06-05-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
If he keeps hitting the way he's hitting I expect him to be in Houston for the All Star Game, he deserves to go and Joe Torre better not take 10 yankees with him then tell everyone he had no room for Frank. :angry:

Sox fans should go to the whitesox.com website and vote for Frank. You get 25 votes per e-mail address. While it'll be tough for Frank to be the #1 vote getter for first baseman maybe he can get voted high enough to be recognized by Torre as a potential pick.

Bob

SSN721
06-05-2004, 08:38 AM
I definitely think Frank will be in Houston in July. I will have to get my votes out soon. He certainly deserves it. It is shown time and time again when Frank is hot, so are the Sox. He carries this team whether people like to admit it or not and I cant wait to see him don the American League jersey at Minute Maid this July.

voodoochile
06-05-2004, 08:55 AM
I have felt since early in the season that Frank was going to have a monster year. His patience at the plate has been amazing and since he is fully healthy to start the season and got a chance to lock down that hitting stance during the off season, I figured he would heat it up.

Nice to see him starting to go after first pitch fastballs again and now he has started to drive the ball to RF. Nice gap shot that way last night that the CF ran down and then a solid single to RF in the AB after the HR.

Frank's back and the AL had better take notice. The man is going to have a great summer.

ode to veeck
06-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Crap, Torre again for the AL All-Star team. I forgot. Frank's got little chance there. Hopefully, Torre won't tell Selig when the game's over before its not and take his Yank-Mes home.

Pathetic

soxnut
06-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Frank is really starting to look like "Classic Frank" again. He's hitting to right field and getting those bloop hits every once in a while and muscling ground balls through the left side for base hits again. Ah......................the days of '91-'94 from Frank seem to be upon us. :smile:

RKMeibalane
06-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I still wonder just how many of Frank's problems the last few years were caused by Jerry Manuel. Frank seems a lot happier this season than in past years. Even in 2003, when he seemed to be having a lot of fun, there were still times whe something negative would happen. Ozzie seems to have a big effect on the Big Hurt.

Keep it up, Frank! We're all behind you!

pinwheels3530
06-05-2004, 01:23 PM
O.K now everybody chant all at once "MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP.....) Go Frank!!!!!

MRKARNO
06-05-2004, 01:54 PM
I believe that Frank is going to return to his 2000/Pre-1997 form this year. He's always had it in him to continue hitting.

Frank Thomas is going to hit like an MVP this season and is going to continue to hit like an MVP in the future. I see only Barry Bonds and maybe Manny Ramirez as being better than him. We should rewrite his contract after this season and guarentee it until he's forty and one that allows him to remain a White Sox player until he retires.

Frank Thomas is just incredible and RK, I think that Manuel was the problem in 1998 and 1999. 2000, he just brushed Manuel aside. 2001 was the injury, 2002, he was still recovering. In 2003 he was back for the most part and in 2004 he's back all the way.

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Good call Ozzie. :)

SoxFan76
06-05-2004, 02:55 PM
I hate to be the downer, but who has looked at the All-Star voting so far? The only White Sox player in the voting is Maggs, and he is 8th among the outfielders. No Frank, no Uribe. Granted, some of those guys are injured, but still it's kind of disheartening to see. Where as the NL voting is Cub dominated. Nobody is going to be in except Sosa, but still. Derreck Lee? Aramis Ramirez? Michael Barrett? Grudzan;asl;g? They are ALL in the top 5 at their posisiton.

MRKARNO
06-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I hate to be the downer, but who has looked at the All-Star voting so far? The only White Sox player in the voting is Maggs, and he is 8th among the outfielders. No Frank, no Uribe. Granted, some of those guys are injured, but still it's kind of disheartening to see. Where as the NL voting is Cub dominated. Nobody is going to be in except Sosa, but still. Derreck Lee? Aramis Ramirez? Michael Barrett? Grudzan;asl;g? They are ALL in the top 5 at their posisiton.

After the first one Torre gets to make the decision on who backs up at each position. I think that Torre will be able to recognize that Uribe has been the best AL 2nd basemen this year. He isn't that biased. Plus if he sees Frank with his numbers not in because his boy Giambi is already in, he'd put frank in I would guess. I would be content if we got Buehrle, Frank and Uribe in the game. If Frank doesn't get in I can't tell you how pissed I'll be.

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I hate to be the downer, but who has looked at the All-Star voting so far? The only White Sox player in the voting is Maggs, and he is 8th among the outfielders. No Frank, no Uribe. Granted, some of those guys are injured, but still it's kind of disheartening to see. Where as the NL voting is Cub dominated. Nobody is going to be in except Sosa, but still. Derreck Lee? Aramis Ramirez? Michael Barrett? Grudzan;asl;g? They are ALL in the top 5 at their posisiton. Not being a downer, just pointing out the situation. However, I'm more interested in All Star caliber than I am with an All Star appearance.

JRIG
06-05-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
After the first one Torre gets to make the decision on who backs up at each position. I think that Torre will be able to recognize that Uribe has been the best AL 2nd basemen this year. He isn't that biased. Plus if he sees Frank with his numbers not in because his boy Giambi is already in, he'd put frank in I would guess. I would be content if we got Buehrle, Frank and Uribe in the game. If Frank doesn't get in I can't tell you how pissed I'll be.

Uribe has played almost exactly half his games at 2B and half somewhere else. It'd probably be pretty tough for a "utility" guy to make the team. Especially since his hot strak was early in the seaon, and he's more than likely to come back down to earth a little more still.

TDog
06-05-2004, 04:21 PM
I thought Thomas was on his way to an MVP season last year -- in August.

I hope things really are different with the team.

Deadguy
06-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Unfortunately with Torre making the selection, Frank will probably be left off. Frank was hitting over .340 with 25 homeruns in 2000, and was overlooked by Torre. His justification for that wsa that Frank hit below .200 against the Yankees, and thus he didn't feel Frank was worthy of an AS appearance. This year, Frank only hit .200 against the Yanks, and missed the series against the Yanks at homer, where he hits better.

I don't see Thomas making it unless he goes on an RBI binge over the next month.

batmanZoSo
06-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Unfortunately with Torre making the selection, Frank will probably be left off. Frank was hitting over .340 with 25 homeruns in 2000, and was overlooked by Torre. His justification for that wsa that Frank hit below .200 against the Yankees, and thus he didn't feel Frank was worthy of an AS appearance. This year, Frank only hit .200 against the Yanks, and missed the series against the Yanks at homer, where he hits better.

I don't see Thomas making it unless he goes on an RBI binge over the next month.

He absolutely deserves to get hand selected. Right now I can't think of any 1st baseman in the American League who's having a better year. Giambi certainly isn't, but the fans will vote him onto the team. He's on pace for 36 100, so by the All-Star break he should have at least 50. And he has yet to get really hot in the power department, so that could happen this month. In that scenario he's likely to be hitting .300 with 20 homers and 63 rbi. I'm sick of him getting short changed. Everybody can bite my ass. And Franks..and like it.

Petch
06-06-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm a young guy, and I started following baseball when Frank started playing for the Sox. He has been my favorite player through the good and the bad times. I recognize that the man has an attitude every now and then and really should keep his mouth shut when he doesn't, but I was disgusted when I went to a ball game last month. Frank came to bat and was booed. The man has done so much for this team and he doesn't deserve that at all. Luckily, he then hit a home run and I got to give the booer an earful. Even still, I just want to state that I hope Frank plays at least 3 more years wearing the black and white and if he has to leave, make it for retirement. He is the man and everyone who criticizes him should remember that.

SoxFan76
06-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Petch
I'm a young guy, and I started following baseball when Frank started playing for the Sox. He has been my favorite player through the good and the bad times. I recognize that the man has an attitude every now and then and really should keep his mouth shut when he doesn't, but I was disgusted when I went to a ball game last month. Frank came to bat and was booed. The man has done so much for this team and he doesn't deserve that at all. Luckily, he then hit a home run and I got to give the booer an earful. Even still, I just want to state that I hope Frank plays at least 3 more years wearing the black and white and if he has to leave, make it for retirement. He is the man and everyone who criticizes him should remember that.

Damn right. And it's a DAMN shame our OWN MEDIA doesn't respect what the man has done. Instead they choose to praise Sammy Sosa, Ron Santo, and Ernie Banks. (I know, Banks was very good, to say the least.) You never even hear about Frank Thomas, Aparico, Fox, Baines, Jackson. (Joe, but Bo was good too.)

Back to the main point, these Cubbie loving media types don't realize how lucky they are to see a guy like Frank Thomas play during their lifetimes. They choose to dwell on his off field problems. We NEVER hear about Sosa's off field problems, and there are several.