PDA

View Full Version : I think we should all be a little worried about this.


Jerome
06-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Although this probably won't affect us in the near future, I just saw on the Twins web site that because of their FA losses, they have 5 of the top 39 picks in the draft. Considering that pretty much all the Twinks best players besides Stewart have come from their farm system, I can almost guarantee that a few of those picks will turn out to be pretty good. The Sox better win something these next few years, because I see the Twins young players getting better pretty quickly. Am I just paranoid, or do I have a right to be concerned about what the Twins do on draft day?

jeremyb1
06-05-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Jerome
Although this probably won't affect us in the near future, I just saw on the Twins web site that because of their FA losses, they have 5 of the top 39 picks in the draft. Considering that pretty much all the Twinks best players besides Stewart have come from their farm system, I can almost guarantee that a few of those picks will turn out to be pretty good. The Sox better win something these next few years, because I see the Twins young players getting better pretty quickly. Am I just paranoid, or do I have a right to be concerned about what the Twins do on draft day?

There's no justice in the Twins' receiving better compensation for Hawkins and Guardado than we did for Colon and Gordon. Ultimately we just had bad luck. Quantril was rated higher than Gordon and the Angels were so poor last season they weren't in the first half of the standings.

Randar68
06-05-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Jerome
Am I just paranoid, or do I have a right to be concerned about what the Twins do on draft day?

you're paranoid. the Twins are going to be looking for bargain picks and may not even sign 15 of their picks this year. don't worry about what other teams do in the draft, only be concerned about what the Sox do.

Randar68
06-05-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
There's no justice in the Twins' receiving better compensation for Hawkins and Guardado than we did for Colon and Gordon. Ultimately we just had bad luck. Quantril was rated higher than Gordon and the Angels were so poor last season they weren't in the first half of the standings.

Agree. The way the picks worked out for the Sox really highlights where the system is weak.

Rex Hudler
06-05-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Jerome
Although this probably won't affect us in the near future, I just saw on the Twins web site that because of their FA losses, they have 5 of the top 39 picks in the draft. Considering that pretty much all the Twinks best players besides Stewart have come from their farm system, I can almost guarantee that a few of those picks will turn out to be pretty good. The Sox better win something these next few years, because I see the Twins young players getting better pretty quickly. Am I just paranoid, or do I have a right to be concerned about what the Twins do on draft day?

You have the right to do whatever you want. You also have the right to pull your hair out worrying about crap that has no meaning today, tomorrow and possibly not three years from now. In my mind, there are way too many possibilities that could happen, good or bad to worry about something that far ahead.

Although it is your right to do so, a famous line came to my mind when reading your post.......

"Don't think........ It can only hurt the ballclub"

DGSWR81
06-05-2004, 01:43 AM
Out of all those picks, probably 3 maximum will make a noteworthy impact. On the other hand, we all need to pray for Bosco :whiner:

hose
06-05-2004, 02:12 AM
The last thing to worry about is Minnesota's draft choices.

pudge
06-05-2004, 02:19 AM
Remember, this is the same team that passed on Mark Prior.

Chisoxfn
06-05-2004, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Jerome
Although this probably won't affect us in the near future, I just saw on the Twins web site that because of their FA losses, they have 5 of the top 39 picks in the draft. Considering that pretty much all the Twinks best players besides Stewart have come from their farm system, I can almost guarantee that a few of those picks will turn out to be pretty good. The Sox better win something these next few years, because I see the Twins young players getting better pretty quickly. Am I just paranoid, or do I have a right to be concerned about what the Twins do on draft day?

Well the Sox have 3 of the 1st 39 or something along those lines. Then they have 3 2nd rounders and a 3rd round. End up having 7 picks in the first 3 rounds. Don't look too much into it. Plus it all comes down to whose scouting department does the better job and to a lesser extent who happens to be luckier.

fquaye149
06-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Remember, this is the same team that passed on Mark Prior.

for joe mauer, though.

SSN721
06-05-2004, 08:25 AM
I dont really worry about it because I think you can count on the Twins always having a strong farm system and player development for the near future. As much as it sucks in some ways I think if we both stay competitive this could really turn into an excellent rivalry in the coming years. I already like the rivalry between our teams but both being strong might really enhance it on a national level. I know, goofy way to look at it I am just loking at the upside. And its early in the morning, and I am working early o n a saturday. :(: