View Full Version : *Official* Postgame Thread, game 1 At Safeco

FarWestChicago
06-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Sox win!!

Have at it.

:bandance:

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 11:45 PM
After the crap he took for the past couple of days, I figure I will say it again.

8 of 10. Some teams would absolutely kill for that right now.

Navaro's Talent
06-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Our number 3 starter just beat the guy who might become our number 1/2 starter. hmmmm....

Tavarin
They might have gotten some good wood on Billy, but at least he didn't walk anyone...

SEALgep
Originally posted by ChiSox7
After the crap he took for the past couple of days, I figure I will say it again.

8 of 10. Some teams would absolutely kill for that right now. Absolutely, Koch got it done.

CWSGuy406
06-04-2004, 11:47 PM
What a game pitched by Jon Garland, absolutely HUGE!

Way to strap her down, Billy!

Also, grats to Marte, who didn't become ruffled after Konerko botched the easy popup!

Way to go Big Hurt! Carlos Lee, make it 21 tommorow! :)

:gulp:

SEALgep
Originally posted by Tavarin
They might have gotten some good wood on Billy, but at least he didn't walk anyone... Which is bound to happen when you throw strikes, especially to guys like Edgar.

Realist
20 games for Carlos DiMaggio.

CWSGuy406
06-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Navaro's Talent
Our number 3 starter just beat the guy who might become our number 1/2 starter. hmmmm....

Our offense is also a lot better than theirs. Four runs against our offense is a pretty damn good job IMO, even without Maggs in the lineup.

Hopefully the next time we see Freddy on the mound, it will be at the Cell!

Brian26
06-04-2004, 11:49 PM
This is a game we lose in 2002 or 2003.

BIG WIN tonight. Great job by Garland, Frank and a nice clutch hit by Lee.

Navaro's Talent
06-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Our offense is also a lot better than theirs. Four runs against our offense is a pretty damn good job IMO, even without Maggs in the lineup.

Hopefully the next time we see Freddy on the mound, it will be at the Cell!

I was just kidding. I should have put it in teal. Garcia was great today too. I hope he brings that sort of stuff if he comes to our side. :smile:

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
This is a game we lose in 2002 or 2003.

BIG WIN tonight. Great job by Garland, Frank and a nice clutch hit by Lee.

Don't forget Marte and Billy!

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Koch wasnt perfect but let's face it, all he allowed was a base hit. Good job by the bullpen except for that wild pitch which should have been an out at the plate. If he's not walking people then I feel confident he'll get the save (the one in oakland was an unusual one for Koch where he didnt walk anyone).

:ozzie

"That's why Beelee is my closer"

elrod
06-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Billy was great, especially against Boone and Spezio. I don't know why he gave Edgar something to hit with an 0-2 count. Oh well. It doesn't matter.

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Garland was better than the stats indicate tonight. Ditto Garcia. I wish we could get Garcia after seeing that outing from him. I'm glad we have Garland after seeing that outing from him as well.

ShoelessFred
06-04-2004, 11:54 PM
YOUR 2004 WORLD CHAMPION WHITE SOX!

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
YOUR 2004 WORLD CHAMPION WHITE SOX!

Was that supposed to be in deep pink?

elrod
06-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Oh, and the Cubs are now in 5th place.

Tomorrow's headlines:

Prior Dominates!
But bullpen blows that game thing

Sox game too late for this edition

CWSGuy406
06-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Garland was better than the stats indicate tonight. Ditto Garcia. I wish we could get Garcia after seeing that outing from him. I'm glad we have Garland after seeing that outing from him as well.

I really, really liked what Garcia showed tonight. Granted, he gave up four runs, but he was solid. I think he could really, really, REALLY help us out a lot. If I'm Kenny Williams, I go over to the Seattle GM's box-suite, and say this: "You like Rowand and Rauch? Ill give you another one or two mid-level prospects and let's make a deal!" :smile:

<sigh> if only it were that easy... :(:

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Thank God Jamie Burke pulled through for us

johnny_mostil
06-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by elrod
Billy was great, especially against Boone and Spezio. I don't know why he gave Edgar something to hit with an 0-2 count. Oh well. It doesn't matter.

But if you don't give Edgar something to hit, he won't swing. You get it over with. He went the other way and poked a single to right. Nobody smacked one over the wall, or even came close.

BigEdWalsh
06-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Thank God Jamie Burke pulled through for us

Yes indeed!! We are 1-0 in the new and improved Jamie Burke era!!

inta
06-05-2004, 01:30 AM
HUGE game by garland.
wow.

and seeing the sox a bit more patient and working the counts on garcia was a very refreshing change.

and of course billy...what can i say. I was slightly shocked ozzie went with him. but glad to see billy ran with the ball.
I guess ozzie wasn't fazed by that TERRIBLE screwup on wednesday..
:D:

Lip Man 1
06-05-2004, 01:51 AM
Every game the Sox win from now to the All Star break (without Maggs) is a big one.

Outstanding job by Garland, some timely hitting.

and Garcia did not pitch badly...let's put it this way. I'll take my chances with him over everybody else the Sox have trotted out there.

Lip

inta
06-05-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

and Garcia did not pitch badly...let's put it this way. I'll take my chances with him over everybody else the Sox have trotted out there.

agreed.

:gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
06-05-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Every game the Sox win from now to the All Star break (without Maggs) is a big one.

Outstanding job by Garland, some timely hitting.

Lip

WOW. Write down this date. Lip goes positive. (Now did that kill you to say something positive, Lip?)

Seriously, great win by a pretty good team. I think this is what we all have been waiting for from Garland for several years. If we can expect this kind of performance consistently from Garland during the future, the Sox will be in good shape. (Thank goodness that the Garland for Erstad trade never went through!)

SSN721
06-05-2004, 07:31 AM
I just have to say that Garland has really blown me away this year, he has shown the ability to be consistently solid, even brilliant this year. I really think he turned the corner with that Yankees game when Ozzie had the balls to back his man and keep him in the game. It seems like all he needed was to know that everyone was pulling for him and had confidence in him. Great performance. Great job by Billy, a little scary as usual but again got the job done. And the way this team produced the last two runs I am just very pleased. Its games like this that make me think we have a completely different team then the one I have seen for th past 5-10 years. Remarkable. :D: :gulp:

elrod
06-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Garland is finally THERE. He gets ahead of hitters. His fastball has great movement. He pitches out of jams. He pitches deep in games. We are finally seeing the Jon Garland we waited for four years ago. Let's hope it continues.

hsnterprize
06-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Oh, and the Cubs are now in 5th place.

Tomorrow's headlines:

Prior Dominates!
But bullpen blows that game thing

Sox game too late for this edition You called it right on the money. The Sun-Times has Prior in the dugout with Dusty hugging him on the back page. The only story on the Sox on the back page..."SURGERY SET FOR MAGGS". And on page 100, there's a Sox story..."Improved Garland giving the Sox some needed good news.". Meanwhile, at the end of the article, there's an italicized sentence..."The White Sox-Mariners game ended too late for this edition." It then tells readers to check out their website to find out the whole story.

I won't cry foul on that one since it was a west-coast game and the papers does have a deadline. But no matter what...I knew Prior's return was going to be the big story. And considering what happened...that's fine. I honestly feel bad for Prior because this proves what I and others have been saying...the pitching is fine...it's the HITTING that's a problem.

The Cubs left 11 runners on base yesterday. And in a 2-1 game, that's nothing short of UNACCEPTIBLE for a team that's supposed to win the World Series. And as for "Mr. Automatic" Joe Borowski, there's no excuse for him either. Cubs fans (or should I say...REAL CUBS FANS) know he's been shaky even though his statistics don't always prove it. He's not Eric Gagne or Mariano Rivera, but I'll take Kock over Borowski any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Just as a side note, Jay Mariotti has an interesting take on the whole "Just Ducky" mess with Prior and that art/meet-and-greet thing. Here's the link. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay05.html)

Kudos to our Sox. Simply put...our team got the job done...the other guys...didn't. And who's supposed to win it all in October? After seeing yesterday's games...I can tell that north side team ain't going anywhere but to the golf course in the fall.

Realist
06-05-2004, 09:02 AM
At least 6 innings outta Garland in each start so far. I'm not all that big into stats, but that's damn solid. I'm madly in love with each and every one of our first 4 starters. That's huge.

Anybody think that Rick Helling might deserve a shot instead of giving up any of our current players? Is he even available to us? He seems to believe he should be at least a No. 5 in the majors and he was 7-8 with a 5.71 ERA in 24 starts for the Orioles last season. We woulda killed for that in a No. 5 last year and it's getting to the point where I think we would kill bus loads of people for those stats from our No. 5 this year.

Now I'll go check to see if a Helling thread has been started.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5207&context=pitching

Muchos dingers.

ode to veeck
06-05-2004, 09:22 AM
WOW. Write down this date. Lip goes positive

I take that as a really good sign

misty60481
06-05-2004, 09:53 AM
we should give some credit to Jose & Timo for clutch hitting seems like Jose can do it when the pressure is on