PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Gameday thread, game 1 At Safeco

JRIG
06-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Featuring Timo Perez batting 7th and playing right field.

The same Timo Perez with a .600 OPS and an OBP of .267.

This is why Borchard and Reed are still in Charlotte? Timo Perez is too good and would keep them riding the bench in the big leagues?

I hope when Borchard returns from injury he gets the nod. We can win without Mags, but not with Timo Perez and Aaron Rowand getting the bulk of the playing time out there.

HomeFish
06-04-2004, 08:58 PM
What's the rest of it?

JRIG
06-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
What's the rest of it?

W. Harris cf
J. Uribe 2b
F. Thomas dh
C. Lee lf
J. Valentin ss
P. Konerko 1b
T. Perez rf
J. Crede 3b
M. Olivo c

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 09:08 PM
I figured Gload would start in right field. Maybe Timo has faced Garcia before.

ndgt10
06-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Tigers 1 Twins 0 B4

JRIG
06-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
I figured Gload would start in right field. Maybe Timo has faced Garcia before.

Considering this is Timo's first year in the AL and Garcia has never been in the NL...ummm...no.

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 09:13 PM
It's called interleague genius. Don't get condescending. DId the Mets face the M's in interleague? Maybe, I don't know, but there is certainly a chance.

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 09:17 PM
It's called interleague genius. Don't get condescending. DId the Mets face the M's in interleague? Maybe, I don't know, but there is certainly a chance.

Timo has never faced Freddy Garcia

ndgt10
06-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Either has Gload

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Timo has never faced Freddy Garcia

Thank you.

Win1ForMe
06-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Featuring Timo Perez batting 7th and playing right field.

The same Timo Perez with a .600 OPS and an OBP of .267.

This is why Borchard and Reed are still in Charlotte? Timo Perez is too good and would keep them riding the bench in the big leagues?

The same Timo Perez hitting .438 with RISP. I'd like to see Borchard or Reed as well, but I think Timo has done a nice job for us this year. And he's been clutch, which, with some exceptions, can't be said about the rest of our team.

Cubbiesuck13
06-04-2004, 09:33 PM
i understand wanting to see the prospects get a shot but it is not smart to have a these guys not playing everyday. the bench has enough guys who play OF. The bench players have played very well so far.

SEALgep
06-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Tigers up 2-1 top of the fifth.

fquaye149
06-04-2004, 09:35 PM

I'm REASONABLY sure that that was never given as a reason. Rather I DO BELIEVE most of the theories on this matter were that borchard has been injured, reed would require optioning a 40 man roster player OR that Kenny is playing it safe as he tries to deal them.

I am not sure where, besides thin air, you pulled the idea that people (or Kenny) think Timo's a better player than them.

JRIG
06-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13
i understand wanting to see the prospects get a shot but it is not smart to have a these guys not playing everyday. the bench has enough guys who play OF. The bench players have played very well so far.

Right now Jeremy Reed is better than Perez, Rowand and Gload. The bench guys should stay on the bench. Reed should play everyday.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Detroit 2
Minny mouse 1

RedPinStripes
06-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Bottom line is, Seattle sucks this year! They better get 2 of 3 at the least.

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Right now Jeremy Reed is better than Perez, Rowand and Gload. The bench guys should stay on the bench. Reed should play everyday.

Whereever it says Reed, put Borchard in there instead and I agree with you. Reed's better than those three too, but he's not on the 40 man roster, unlike Borchard who is.

JRIG
06-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Whereever it says Reed, put Borchard in there instead and I agree with you. Reed's better than those three too, but he's not on the 40 man roster, unlike Borchard who is.

I don't understand why it would be such a big deal to risk losing, say, a completely worthless Kelly Dransfelt, in order to make the major league team better by getting Reed on the 40-man.

I agree Borchard is better than all three as well.

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 09:43 PM
I don't understand why it would be such a big deal to risk losing, say, a completely worthless Kelly Dransfelt, in order to make the major league team better by getting Reed on the 40-man.

I agree Borchard is better than all three as well.

Because you like to have as many options as you can

Cubbiesuck13
06-04-2004, 09:45 PM

Reed is in the minors, as if i need to say that, playing everday. There is no honest way you can say that Reed is better than the other guys who platoon in the bigs. Gload earned his spot in ST and I look forward to seeing him play more.

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Reed is in the minors, as if i need to say that, playing everday. There is no honest way you can say that Reed is better than the other guys who platoon in the bigs. Gload earned his spot in ST and I look forward to seeing him play more.

Well I think it's debatable whether or not he's better than Gload but he could probably do a better job than Timo if we really wanted to platoon him (which we dont)

batmanZoSo
06-04-2004, 09:56 PM

I'm all for that. This is a blessing in disguise that Maggs got hurt. At least it we CAN (will is another story) showcase our OF prospects.

Cubbiesuck13
06-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Well I think it's debatable whether or not he's better than Gload but he could probably do a better job than Timo if we really wanted to platoon him (which we dont)

well i should have said: I can not honestly say a prospect in the AAA is/will be better than somone playing in the majors right now. How many 5 tool can't miss prospects don't achieve any kind of success? TONS. so the non-move to keep Reed and LTP in the minors makes sense to me. but maybe my GM skills are diminishing.

JRIG
06-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I'm all for that. This is a blessing in disguise that Maggs got hurt. At least it we CAN (will is another story) showcase our OF prospects.

Or evaluate our talent in regards to re-signing Mags next year. If Reed can play it makes the decision much easier.

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 09:57 PM
The fact that Corey Koskie has more HR than Carlos Lee disgusts me. Six more even. 2-2 tie in Minny. I don't know how their starting pitching continues to pitch so well even thought the whole team is slumping. Come on Tigers.

elrod
06-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Koskie just went deep for the Twins. 2-2.

JRIG
06-04-2004, 10:01 PM
The fact that Corey Koskie has more HR than Carlos Lee disgusts me. Six more even. 2-2 tie in Minny. I don't know how their starting pitching continues to pitch so well even thought the whole team is slumping. Come on Tigers.

Koskie is at least as good aplayer as Carlos Lee. But your point is taken. Lee's 19 game hit streak has been some of the best 19 singles I've ever seen.

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Koskie is at least as good aplayer as Carlos Lee. But your point is taken. Lee's 19 game hit streak has been some of the best 19 singles I've ever seen.

Yeah. As fun as a 19 game hitting streak is, that number is awfully deceiving. He needs to start getting the hits when they matter and getting some XBH and HR and driving in some runs.

batmanZoSo
06-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Yeah. As fun as a 19 game hitting streak is, that number is awfully deceiving. He needs to start getting the hits when they matter and getting some XBH and HR and driving in some runs.

It's the weirdest hitting streak I've ever seen. Almost always if a player's got a 19 game hitting streak he has that many rbis and at least a good 5 homers..even if he's not a big power hitter.

elrod
06-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Koskie is at least as good aplayer as Carlos Lee.

Carlos Lee

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO
2004 50 191 26 55 12 0 4 25 21 26

SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
4 3 .288 .364 .414 .778

Corey Koskie
YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO
2004 35 127 21 33 6 1 9 25 16 23

SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
4 2 .260 .347 .535 .882

Let's see. Carlos Lee has played in 15 more games but has 6 fewer HRs. Same number of RBIs. Koskie's OPS is more than 100 points higher than Lee's. I'd say Koskie is a better hitter this year, easily. Koskie's career OPS is .838. Lee's career OPS is .812. So Lee is having a sub-par year and Koskie is having a good one. Koskie is a better hitter, period.

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 10:22 PM
I love it how when something bad happens to our offense (Maggs) we decide to go in the tank, and when the Twins face some injury adversity (earlier in the year) they knocked the hell out of hte ball and stayed right with us.

FarWestChicago
06-04-2004, 10:29 PM
I love it how when something bad happens to our offense (Maggs) we decide to go in the tank, and when the Twins face some injury adversity (earlier in the year) they knocked the hell out of hte ball and stayed right with us. Exactly what are you talking about?

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Exactly what are you talking about?

Who knows. It's probably wrong. Just what I think. And to prove me wrong they are going to put up 20 runs in Seattle. And the main subject I was rambling about was offense. Just ramblings. Wake me when they score the 1st of 20 this weekend. I hate the west coast.

elrod
06-04-2004, 10:37 PM
They've been hitting pretty well without Maggs. Of course they've faced some real tough pitching lately so I'd be easy judging the team. The only hitter doing poorly lately is Uribe. And he did more than enough to carry the team when everybody else slumped in early May.

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by elrod
They've been hitting pretty well without Maggs. Of course they've faced some real tough pitching lately so I'd be easy judging the team. The only hitter doing poorly lately is Uribe. And he did more than enough to carry the team when everybody else slumped in early May.

That's what I thougth too until I looked at the stats. We've score more than four TWICE in the last EIGHT games. our pitchers have just been awesome. The two games that we exploded were against pretty crappy pitchers. Sometimes you have to beat good pitching to win ballgames.

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Twins find a way to win. Argh. We can't count on them sucking forever. And as that happens, we starting losing 1-0. If we lose tonight, that means we are a game up on a team that has been sucking awfully bad.

elrod
06-04-2004, 10:49 PM
What the FFFFFFFFF was Garland doing throwing a strike to Ichiro with a 3-2 count and a man on 3rd? He should have thrown the ball about six inches high and outside and let Randy Winn beat you. Oh yeah. Randy Winn just flew out. Stupid.

elrod
06-04-2004, 10:51 PM
That's what I thougth too until I looked at the stats. We've score more than four TWICE in the last EIGHT games. our pitchers have just been awesome. The two games that we exploded were against pretty crappy pitchers. Sometimes you have to beat good pitching to win ballgames.

We don't need to explode against teams to win. Our lineup hit well enough to win against Oakland in the second game but Koch blew it. We don't need to get 10 runs a game to win with our pitching staff.

Good sign: Uribe just belted a double to deep center. Would have been a triple if not for the ground rule double. Oh wait. Big Frank went deep. Now THAT's responding!!!

Brian26
06-04-2004, 10:52 PM
#430 for Frank.

Sox lead 2-1.

:smile:

FarWestChicago
06-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Big Frank!!

CHISOXFAN13
06-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Twins find a way to win. Argh. We can't count on them sucking forever. And as that happens, we starting losing 1-0. If we lose tonight, that means we are a game up on a team that has been sucking awfully bad.

Can't expect them to lose every game to bad teams. Their offense is still struggling mightily.

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 10:53 PM
We don't need to explode against teams to win. Our lineup hit well enough to win against Oakland in the second game but Koch blew it. We don't need to get 10 runs a game to win with our pitching staff.

Good sign: Uribe just belted a double to deep center. Would have been a triple if not for the ground rule double. Oh wait. Big Frank went deep. Now THAT's responding!!!

I disagree. We left 14 men on base on Wednesday. We only gave up 3 runs in 10 innings. I don't care waht the circumstances are, you CANNOT lose a game like that. You CANT leave that many men on base and expect to win.

elrod
06-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Unfortunately Lohse pitched well. I was hoping for more problems from him. The Twins really didn't hit well at all but they did win in the ninth in a game they trailed in the 6th.

RKMeibalane
06-04-2004, 10:57 PM
FRANK THOMAS!

elrod
06-04-2004, 11:00 PM
I disagree. We left 14 men on base on Wednesday. We only gave up 3 runs in 10 innings. I don't care waht the circumstances are, you CANNOT lose a game like that. You CANT leave that many men on base and expect to win.

The runners left on base that hurt were in the 8th and 9th. And both times the bases were loaded with two outs. I don't fret about runners left on earlier because I don't expect our hitters to do much against Mulder. In fact, I was very impressed we knocked in two in the first two innings. Still, we had a lead in the ninth inning. There are teams that go all season long without coming from behind in the ninth (Sox did that only once or twice last year). And lots of times we were down by one with the opponent missing lots of opportunities for insurance. The closer should be able to hold a one run lead in the ninth. Insurance would have been great. But that's not why we lost. We lost because Koch threw a wild pitch allowing Durazo to get into scoring position. I don't care if you leave 20 men on base. If you have a lead in the ninth you MUST expect to win.

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 11:20 PM
The runners left on base that hurt were in the 8th and 9th. And both times the bases were loaded with two outs. I don't fret about runners left on earlier because I don't expect our hitters to do much against Mulder. In fact, I was very impressed we knocked in two in the first two innings. Still, we had a lead in the ninth inning. There are teams that go all season long without coming from behind in the ninth (Sox did that only once or twice last year). And lots of times we were down by one with the opponent missing lots of opportunities for insurance. The closer should be able to hold a one run lead in the ninth. Insurance would have been great. But that's not why we lost. We lost because Koch threw a wild pitch allowing Durazo to get into scoring position. I don't care if you leave 20 men on base. If you have a lead in the ninth you MUST expect to win.

And most of the time you do. But at the same time. It is tough to win games on the road if you only score 2 times. Just like tonight. We scored two, got the league, and now the guys think they can shut it down and count on the pitchers to automatically win. It doesn't always happen though. A couple of broken bats (like Wednesday) can lose a close game like that. You have to keep scoring. Thats what good teams do.

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Outside of that one inning Garland has not allowed a baserunner.

And some people think he's our 4th best starter and would put him in the 5 hole if we got the guy he's pitching against.....

Cubbiesuck13
06-04-2004, 11:36 PM
no one out, jose on second. pauly is up batting in the .400 against garcia. lets go!

Cubbiesuck13
06-04-2004, 11:39 PM
no one out, jose on second. pauly is up batting in the .400 against garcia. lets go!

well he moved him over. good enough for me. and timo knocks him in. all right!

fquaye149
06-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Outside of that one inning Garland has not allowed a baserunner.

And some people think he's our 4th best starter and would put him in the 5 hole if we got the guy he's pitching against.....

because he is our 4th best starter so far. and the only person he is questionably better than is schoenweis (because schoenweis' success has been brief)

I like jon and think he has great stuff. . .it's just, in the past he has given up what pitchers can't afford to: big innings

but here's hoping he'll have a great outing tonight! :gulp:

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Whew. He JUST missed it. Let's go get another run.

HomeFish
06-04-2004, 11:56 PM
There's the first double of the hitting streak.

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 11:58 PM

And a big one it was. I'm prepared to give props in a situation like that. A great job of hitting, going the other way. If he could thrown some HRs in there, he could really help pick up this team.

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:01 AM
This team gets tons of home runs up and down the lineup. The fact that Lee hasn't been hitting them doesn't bother me. I'd rather see Carlos get a bunch of doubles and a few more HRs rather than a bunch more HRs and lowering his average.

ChiSox7
06-05-2004, 12:03 AM
This team gets tons of home runs up and down the lineup. The fact that Lee hasn't been hitting them doesn't bother me. I'd rather see Carlos get a bunch of doubles and a few more HRs rather than a bunch more HRs and lowering his average.

I agree. Four HR is just kinda a striking number in early June. He had four HR in four consecutive games last APril. Just strange is all.

soxwon
06-05-2004, 12:04 AM
JUST ANOTHER WIN ON THE ROAD TO THE SERIES.
W.S. IN THE W.S.
I LIKE IT
I LIKE IT ALOT.
THIS TEAM IS MAGIC, YOULL SEE.
WE WILL ROCK THIS PLANET IN OCTOBER

ChiSox7
Originally posted by soxwon
JUST ANOTHER WIN ON THE ROAD TO THE SERIES.
W.S. IN THE W.S.
I LIKE IT
I LIKE IT ALOT.
THIS TEAM IS MAGIC, YOULL SEE.
WE WILL ROCK THIS PLANET IN OCTOBER

Uh. This team hasn't won any game tonight yet.

Tavarin

Actually, that's his 7th double. 30 hits in 20 games.

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:05 AM
It is tough to win games on the road if you only score 2 times. Just like tonight. We scored two, got the league, and now the guys think they can shut it down and count on the pitchers to automatically win. It doesn't always happen though. A couple of broken bats (like Wednesday) can lose a close game like that. You have to keep scoring. Thats what good teams do.

Insurance runs are great. I feel better with a 4-1 lead than a 2-1 lead. Of course. But a team should expect to be able to hold onto a 2-1 lead in the ninth. West Coast or not. That's what closers are for - shutting the other team down. Lot's of people are responsible for that loss, including Adkins who gave up the HR to Kotsay. But the prime responsibility is Koch's - broken bats or not. It was the wild pitch that did him in. Without the WP the Sox get out of the inning with a double play.

HomeFish
06-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Tavarin
Actually, that's his 7th double. 30 hits in 20 games.

Well, yes, he has more than one double, but it was a response to the constant criticism of the hit streak as being nothing but singles.

ChiSox7
06-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Real sweet how Ozzie waits til Jon lets the first two guys on at the bottom of the lineup to take him out. Wait. He didn't take him out. What's he doing. I hope that guy didn't jinx us. I hate being superstitous.

balboner
06-05-2004, 12:12 AM
What is Ozzie doing? He left Garland in way too long. He had nothing on his pitches in that last inning. Also, what in the world was Seattle doing bunting there? I'll take the out.

Tavarin
06-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Real sweet how Ozzie waits til Jon lets the first two guys on at the bottom of the lineup to take him out.

Well, considering Jon was doing really well up to that point, I can see why Ozzie left him in until he got into the 2 on situation. Plus, he had only just passed 100 pitches.

Try and lay off on the negativity, will ya?

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Also, what in the world was Seattle doing bunting there? I'll take the out.

Because Ichiro is up next.

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Paulie!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!? You don't give Ichiro another chance!!!

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Thank you Ozzie, Baines and Carlos for matching up to Ichiro!

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:17 AM
PB/WP. Pathetic. No need.

Brian26
06-05-2004, 12:18 AM
Mercy, that was a hell of a richochet of that back wall. If Olivo could have found the handle, we may have had him at the plate.

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Nice job on Winn. That dude really stinks.

Who will close? Takatsu or Koch? Shingo was in the pen earlier but Koch might get up.

soxwon
06-05-2004, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChiSox7
[B]Uh. This team hasn't won any game tonight yet.

dont Worry we will win.
we are the best.

balboner
06-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Looks like Koch is coming in. I think Marte should stay in to face Edgar and then Olerud. Lets hope Shingo is warming for if/when Koch gets into trouble.

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:28 AM
Why didn't Timo tag up on Crede's hit? He gets to 2B easily. If he doesn't get to it Timo gets to third easily with only one out. Now with a ground rule double Timo would score.

Tavarin
06-05-2004, 12:28 AM
Why didn't Timo tag up on Crede's hit? He gets to 2B easily. If he doesn't get to it Timo gets to third easily with only one out. Now with a ground rule double Timo would score.

He was running in case it wasn't caught.

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:29 AM
Hasagawa missed some close ones. Let's go Juan!!!

soxwon
06-05-2004, 12:29 AM
load em up for juan ruth

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:31 AM
He was running in case it wasn't caught.

But why? If he doesn't get it Timo gets around to third easily with a ricochet. The important thing is to get to scoring position.

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Come on Koch!!!

soxwon
06-05-2004, 12:32 AM
hold em and go home

batmanZoSo
06-05-2004, 12:34 AM
I can't believe we stranded the bases loaded with 2 outs. Teal.

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:35 AM
0-2 and gave Edgar something he could hit!!! Is this Rauch out there?

ChiSox7
06-05-2004, 12:36 AM
Gotta score with the bases loaded. You can't just keep leaving men on base.

RKMeibalane
06-05-2004, 12:36 AM
Lead-off single for Martinez. Here we go...

Navaro's Talent
06-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Come on, Billy!!! One hit this inning is enough!!!

CaptainJinks
NOT KOCH! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

balboner
If Koch blows this, it better be his last attempt as closer.

Navaro's Talent
06-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Crede isn't hitting, but at least he is fielding!!!

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Nice play Crede.

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Way to stay with it Jose! I saw it bouncing into the outfield.

elrod
06-05-2004, 12:42 AM
YES!!!

Navaro's Talent
YES!!!!!

soxwon
sox win-sox win

ChiSox7
06-05-2004, 12:43 AM
8 of 10. K-Rod would kill for that. He just blew his third save chance.