PDA

View Full Version : Jon Adkins

misty60481
06-04-2004, 07:17 PM
I just read on Yahoo sports Jon Adkins has been added to starting rotation--Suprised

SEALgep
06-04-2004, 07:25 PM
I didn't see it. Do you have a link? It seems unlikely that they would make the call this early, but I guess it's possible.

MisterB
06-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I didn't see it. Do you have a link? It seems unlikely that they would make the call this early, but I guess it's possible.

Here it is. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=citadel-2_264043_181&prov=citadel&type=story)

It's actually from an OSU sports fansite, so take it with an appropriate amount of sodium chloride...

Chrisaway
06-04-2004, 07:55 PM
We have alot of Jon's on this team dont we.

duke of dorwood
06-04-2004, 09:19 PM
And a philosophy that has me running to a John

rmusacch
06-05-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
Here it is. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=citadel-2_264043_181&prov=citadel&type=story)

It's actually from an OSU sports fansite, so take it with an appropriate amount of sodium chloride...

All it says is they are considering adding him to the starting rotation. Nowhere does it say he has been added.

gosox41
06-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by misty60481
I just read on Yahoo sports Jon Adkins has been added to starting rotation--Suprised

I think Adkins should stay in the bullpen. Bring up Diaz and give him more then 2 starts. Or maybe KW will make a trade soon.

Bob

ode to veeck
06-05-2004, 09:56 AM
The sox 5th starter roll for our bullpen staff is like christians and in pre-constantine ancient rome. They each get a turn getting fed to the lions.

jeremyb1
06-05-2004, 01:45 PM
I think it's probably baseless but if it's true we really are clueless. We're going to take a pitcher whose pitched severely worse than his low ERA indicates and make him a starter, a role he hasn't held in three years? I was hoping this thread would say we were going to send him down.

RedPinStripes
06-05-2004, 02:00 PM
I doubt he'll get the chance. Kenny's getting itchy.

MRKARNO
06-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I think it's probably baseless but if it's true we really are clueless. We're going to take a pitcher whose pitched severely worse than his low ERA indicates and make him a starter, a role he hasn't held in three years? I was hoping this thread would say we were going to send him down.

Oh not this FOKW vs FOBB debate again....

Adkins has done his job: Cleaning up when we have a decent lead or deficit and we're late into a game so that we dont have to use Jackson, Politte, Cotts, etc.

jeremyb1
06-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Oh not this FOKW vs FOBB debate again....

Adkins has done his job: Cleaning up when we have a decent lead or deficit and we're late into a game so that we dont have to use Jackson, Politte, Cotts, etc.

Hey I didn't frame it as BB vs. KW. I framed it as the decision to put Adkins on the roster not the trade in which we acquired him. You're absolutely right that he's performed well up unto this point but we're dealing with a rather small sample size and his walk rate and his numerous minor league seasons indicate he won't keep it up.

Rex Hudler
06-06-2004, 01:22 AM

Not that I advocate making Adkins the 5th starter, but he did start 19 games in Charlotte last year.

MRKARNO
06-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Hey I didn't frame it as BB vs. KW.

An admitted FOBB criticizing a player traded to the White Sox by Billy Beane is inevitably thinking of that in the back of their minds

jeremyb1
06-06-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Not that I advocate making Adkins the 5th starter, but he did start 19 games in Charlotte last year.

My mistake. I don't know where I got the idea that he'd been working as a reliever.

jeremyb1
06-06-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
An admitted FOBB criticizing a player traded to the White Sox by Billy Beane is inevitably thinking of that in the back of their minds

Well if you can explain my rationale and thoughts I don't know why I even need to post, you can do it for me. I don't see why the manner in which a player was acquired has anything to do with his ability. Adkins is a 27 year old with a less than impressive minor league career who has succeeded despite horrible peripheral stats in his 20 innings this season. I don't like pitchers in that mold regardless of how they were acquired.

crector
06-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Well if you can explain my rationale and thoughts I don't know why I even need to post, you can do it for me. I don't see why the manner in which a player was acquired has anything to do with his ability. Adkins is a 27 year old with a less than impressive minor league career who has succeeded despite horrible peripheral stats in his 20 innings this season. I don't like pitchers in that mold regardless of how they were acquired.

That's a switch. Earlier, you were saying that we couldn't have Adkins as a starter because his stats were of a "rather small sample size." Now, you're using those same stats to claim that you "don't like players in that mold." Which is it? Too small sample size or just big enough? You're trying to have it both ways, which is an indication that your tilt against Adkins has nothing to do with his performance and everything to do with your dislike of KW.