PDA

View Full Version : Retooling the Farm System

Mohoney
06-04-2004, 05:04 PM
If we make a trade to get us a quality starting pitcher, what deals would you be willing to make to offset some of the losses that we would incur?

I think that Wunsch, Rowand, and Rauch could all be traded off for some A or AA level talent.

Any thoughts on who some trading partners would be? Who needs a lefty in the pen, a 4th or 5th outfielder, or is willing to try and resuscitate the career of a former can't-miss starting pitching prospect?

Randar68
06-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
If we make a trade to get us a quality starting pitcher, what deals would you be willing to make to offset some of the losses that we would incur?

I think that Wunsch, Rowand, and Rauch could all be traded off for some A or AA level talent.

Any thoughts on who some trading partners would be? Who needs a lefty in the pen, a 4th or 5th outfielder, or is willing to try and resuscitate the career of a former can't-miss starting pitching prospect?

I don't think anyone of the three except maybe Rauch are going to bring you anything more than marginal prospects.

I would much rather make smart, talent-based picks in the draft and sign them. If the Sox had signed guys like Tony Richie and Jon Zeringue long ago, they'd be much deeper now. You can add to that last year's picks of Donald Veal, Greg Moviel (pitched as a true freshman at Vandy), and Wes Hodges (upstanding freshman season at Georgia Tech) ...

I know they were drafted as fall-back plans and under the guise of being tough signs, but these are golden opportunities that are hard to pass up.

The Sox need to address corner IF, C and RHP as priorities in this draft and they have golden opportunities to do just that with 6 of the first 69 picks and 9 in the first 5 rounds total.

If they can have a good draft and again sign all of their top 10 rounds, they are going to go a LONG way to restocking their lower levels on that alone.

Mohoney
06-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I don't think anyone of the three except maybe Rauch are going to bring you anything more than marginal prospects.

This draft will help big time, but getting marginal prospects for Wunsch, a guy we aren't using anyway, works for me. I think we need a return for him, and then both sides can just move on.

Randar68
06-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
This draft will help big time, but getting marginal prospects for Wunsch, a guy we aren't using anyway, works for me. I think we need a return for him, and then both sides can just move on.

There's no guarantee we won't need him yet this year. Why eliminate that option if we don't have to?

NC_sox_fan
06-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Kenny has already said that pitching is foremost in the upcoming draft, something I agree with. The pitching at A level and below is very weak. Injuries to Honel and Wing along with Wright, Stumm and Hummel have weakened the pitching pool as well.

The outfield is strong -- but in my opinion that is the ONLY area that is strong. Winston-Salem's infield is "weaker than water". Those of us who see Kannapolis and Charlotte on a regular basis have realized that overall, the Sox are treading on fairly thin ice and have GOT to have a strong draft this year.

A. Cavatica
06-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Charlotte's got the strongest team they've had in a while. Remember, the Sox have generally stocked the Knights with minor league lifers, but this year's model has two blue chip outfielders and several solid pitching prospects.

As for Kannapolis, I agree with you...