PDA

View Full Version : Damn you, Julio Franco!

Baby Fisk
06-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Julio Franco hit a grand slam last night, becoming the oldest player (45) in MLB history to hit one.

The record was previously held by our calm and gentle hero, Carlton Fisk. Pudge nailed one in 1991 at age 43. There's not enough Fisk worship going around. The man played the game with intelligence and intensity. A true role model. His absence from the Sox organization is tragic.

Tekijawa
06-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
A true role model. His absence from the Sox organization is tragic.

We do need a power hitting Corner outfielder... I know he's played there a couple times... May we can get him back for the next 4-7 weeks and give him a chance to regain the record!

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Records are meant to be broken as far as that's concerned (I guarentee a 50 year old will hit a Grand Slam in the next 20 years, it could be Julio Franco).

But it is very unfortunate that Fisk is not a part of this organization at the present moment now that we're bringing in people such as Ozzie, Baines, etc.

samram
06-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Doesn't Julio say he wants to be the first gut to collect social security and play ball in the same year? Maybe he will hit a grand slam after age 50. :smile:

LongLiveFisk
06-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Julio Franco hit a grand slam last night, becoming the oldest player (45) in MLB history to hit one.

The record was previously held by our calm and gentle hero, Carlton Fisk. Pudge nailed one in 1991 at age 43. There's not enough Fisk worship going around. The man played the game with intelligence and intensity. A true role model. His absence from the Sox organization is tragic.

Buth then, WE'RE NOT BIASED or anything, right BF? ;)

:)

Baby Fisk
06-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
Buth then, WE'RE NOT BIASED or anything, right BF? ;)

:)

Well, I just posted the thread in case anyone hadn't heard, that's all...

[*unable to contain himself*]

FISK RULES! FRANCO DROOLS!

:pudge
"Thanks all. Now I'd wish these other mofos would shut the hell up about Kenny for 5 freakin' minutes."

Frater Perdurabo
06-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Frank Thomas had his best season when Franco was batting cleanup behind him. Franco still should be on the Sox today, which would mean that he could play first, which would mean that Mike Cameron could be patrolling CF for the Sox today.....

Railsplitter
06-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by samram
Doesn't Julio say he wants to be the first gut to collect social security and play ball in the same year? Maybe he will hit a grand slam after age 50. :smile:

This supposedly attributed to Pete Rose as well. Though Hoyt Wilhelm came as close as anybody (on a day-to-day basis) to doing it.

Deadguy
06-04-2004, 03:47 PM
I miss the 1994 version of Julio Franco. He was part of what could truly been a magical season.

He's also proof positive that as long as players work hard in the off season and keep in terrific shape, there's no reason why they can't play into their 40s, especially if they are a 1B/DH. Chipper Jones says that Julio is probably in better shape than anyone on the Braves roster.

Deadguy
06-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
We do need a power hitting Corner outfielder... I know he's played there a couple times... May we can get him back for the next 4-7 weeks and give him a chance to regain the record!

Is Minnie Minnoso not returning KW's calls?

Rush20
06-04-2004, 05:12 PM
I remember when during the strike Franco announced he was going to play in Japan and move on from the SOX. Disappointment then turned into utter horror when Chris Sabo took his place.

I remember looking at Sabo as a 150 high school kid batting after Frank Thomas.

Thanks again Jerry! :angry:

vegyrex
06-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
I remember when during the strike Franco announced he was going to play in Japan and move on from the SOX. Disappointment then turned into utter horror when Chris Sabo took his place.

I remember looking at Sabo as a 150 high school kid batting after Frank Thomas.

Thanks again Jerry! :angry:

Frank and Julio were becoming an awesome 1- 2 punch that year.

*sighs*

What might have been. :(:

Lip Man 1
06-05-2004, 02:24 AM
Baby Fisk:

This is for you!

Hey Sox Fans!

Hear Denny Trease's call of Carlton Fisk's home run off KC's Brett Saberhagen from June 1, 1985. Sox win 8-7! Courtesy WDAF-TV.
Just Click Here!

You'll need the RealAudio player to listen. Get one free by clicking here.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2004, 02:25 AM
Rush 20:

And let's not forget the other players who were going to replace the guys the Sox lost from the 93-94 team because of 'financial' considerations due to the labor impasse...

John Kruk, Rob Dibble, Dave Righetti and Jim Abbott.

LOL

Lip

samram
06-05-2004, 08:26 AM
I also remember Oil Can Boyd and Pete Rose, Jr., although they may have been part of the "strike team." I think the Sox also had Mike Deveraux and Atlee Hammaker in 1995 as well.

Jjav829
06-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Frank Thomas had his best season when Franco was batting cleanup behind him. Franco still should be on the Sox today, which would mean that he could play first, which would mean that Mike Cameron could be patrolling CF for the Sox today.....

I'd rather have Paul Konerko and the platoon of centerfielders than Julio Franco and Mike Cameron.