PDA

View Full Version : Mags AM Friday Summery

Lip Man 1
06-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Since I didn't see this and we don't when when the Sox will make a statement here is the summery from out of the Chicago papers on Mags as of Friday AM.

Williams said Mags did NOT meet with any team doctors on Thursday. He will be meeting them on Friday. They will be doing a number of tests including another MRI. If Mags has surgery according to Bob Foltman of the Tribune, it would be early next week. Williams did say the doctors are sure the injury is NOT to his MCL or ACL which would end his season and in all likelyhood his White Sox career.

Williams is quoted in two papers as saying that surgery is NOT a given, that apparently Mags might be able to play with this, depending on how high his pain tolenrance is. A story says that Mags has no trouble swinging and running but that he has pain when he starts slowing down from running full tilt (Ya like that word?)

The risk is that if Mags can't handle it after a week or ten days that he's put off surgery and will start missing games in August / September.

No paper has yet been able to confirm exactly what is wrong. Doctors aren't sure.

Joe Cowley though has this ominous statement in the Daily Southtown which gives indications we aren't talking about a quick recovery. "The White Sox have been without the four-time All-Star for the last seven games, and now they're preparing for life without him until after the July 12-14 All-Star break."

My best guess is that he is going to have some type of surgery, even if it is just to try to find out what the hell is wrong. Depending on what they find will determine how long he is out.

If it's typical White Sox luck it could be for closer to seven weeks then to four. (and remember you'd still need about a week for a rehab assignment!)

This could be the latest in a long line of bizarre Sox injuries at exactly the wrong time...Dick Donovan, Nellie Fox, Joe Cunningham, Bill Melton, Ken Henderson, Tony Bernazard, Ozzie Guillen, Robin Ventura, Cal Eldred.

Lip

SEALgep
06-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

If it's typical White Sox luck it could be for closer to seven weeks then to four. (and remember you'd still need about a week for a rehab assignment!)
Actually, the Score had a doctor on yesterday, and he said the seven weeks would include the rehab. We obviously would have to see as it all plays out, but according to him, he would be playing after the seventh week at the latest. If it is indeed what they assume it to be.

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Well if Maggs is gone for an extended amount of time I believe KW has indicated he will call up Joe Borchard and that may help the team get over the injury.

But who knows? Ross Gload is hitting .281 (though with a .783 OPS) and he might be able to do some good work once given regular playing time ala Harris or Uribe. There's less hope for Timo and AAAron.

BigEdWalsh
06-04-2004, 01:49 PM

This could be the latest in a long line of bizarre Sox injuries at exactly the wrong time...Dick Donovan, Nellie Fox, Joe Cunningham, Bill Melton, Ken Henderson, Tony Bernazard, Ozzie Guillen, Robin Ventura, Cal Eldred.

Lip

Don't forget Dick Allen! :smile:

StockdaleForVeep
06-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Didnt joe mauer of Minnesota have the exact same knee injury? He was gone since like the second or third game of the season and just returned now.

Brian26
06-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Was the Bernazard injury in '82?

I was just looking at the first game I ever went to in person...Sept of '82. The box score had Jay Loviglio playing second base for the Sox.

HomerCoach
06-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Mods, please change the spelling in the title, "summery" is making me want to stab my eyes out with my pen.

SEALgep
06-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
Didnt joe mauer of Minnesota have the exact same knee injury? He was gone since like the second or third game of the season and just returned now. He's a catcher though, which may not factor into it, but I think it does because of how he needs to be positioned all game. Not great for the knees.

Randar68
06-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by HomerCoach
Mods, please change the spelling in the title, "summery" is making me want to stab my eyes out with my pen.

LOL... amen.

FanOf14
06-04-2004, 02:21 PM

Glad to see it was driving someone else nuts! :D:

npdempse
06-04-2004, 02:29 PM

Summery is a perfect modifier for Maggs' morning. He had breakfast on the patio, puttered around in the garden, took a short swim...

kojak
06-04-2004, 07:25 PM

My best guess is that he is going to have some type of surgery, even if it is just to try to find out what the hell is wrong.

Hmmm...sounds like a job for Dr. Homer Simpson!

"Scalpel!"

"Acetylene torch!"

"D'oh!!! Always hand it to me flame side down!!"

kojak
06-04-2004, 07:28 PM

I think he means "summery" as in a nice, warm, summery day"

Of coors, if Chicago is having rotten weather today, then I would be wrong... :D:

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Supposedly we hear at 7 PM (5 minutes) whether or not Maggs needs surgery

ChiSox7
06-04-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Supposedly we hear at 7 PM (5 minutes) whether or not Maggs needs surgery

On Chicagosports.com they already said he would have arthroscopic surgery and be out from anywhere to four to seven weeks.

SOXPHILE
06-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Don't forget Carlos May. He blew his thumb off with a mortar when he was in the National Guard.

batmanZoSo
06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Since I didn't see this and we don't when when the Sox will make a statement here is the summery from out of the Chicago papers on Mags as of Friday AM.

Williams said Mags did NOT meet with any team doctors on Thursday. He will be meeting them on Friday. They will be doing a number of tests including another MRI. If Mags has surgery according to Bob Foltman of the Tribune, it would be early next week. Williams did say the doctors are sure the injury is NOT to his MCL or ACL which would end his season and in all likelyhood his White Sox career.

Williams is quoted in two papers as saying that surgery is NOT a given, that apparently Mags might be able to play with this, depending on how high his pain tolenrance is. A story says that Mags has no trouble swinging and running but that he has pain when he starts slowing down from running full tilt (Ya like that word?)

The risk is that if Mags can't handle it after a week or ten days that he's put off surgery and will start missing games in August / September.

No paper has yet been able to confirm exactly what is wrong. Doctors aren't sure.

Joe Cowley though has this ominous statement in the Daily Southtown which gives indications we aren't talking about a quick recovery. "The White Sox have been without the four-time All-Star for the last seven games, and now they're preparing for life without him until after the July 12-14 All-Star break."

My best guess is that he is going to have some type of surgery, even if it is just to try to find out what the hell is wrong. Depending on what they find will determine how long he is out.

Lip

Every great player's gonna have a year like this. Thomas had his in 01, Bonds had his in 99, Griffey has had a couple. Overall we've been amazing with not getting injured, so I'm not gonna complain. He's not as crucial to the lineup as Frank is, we can get by without him. And as of now it's not like he's out for the year.

South Side
06-05-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Every great player's gonna have a year like this. Thomas had his in 01, Bonds had his in 99, Griffey has had a couple. Overall we've been amazing with not getting injured, so I'm not gonna complain. He's not as crucial to the lineup as Frank is, we can get by without him. And as of now it's not like he's out for the year.

I think he is absolutely just as crucial to the lineup as Frank is, if not more so. I think we can get by without him but let's give credit where credit is due.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the Dick Allen reminder!

Brian, yes Bernazard broke his leg in Oakland in September 1982 after the Sox had closed to three games of the lead. When he went down the Sox dropped out. Up till then they had cut three games off the Angels lead.

Soxphile...certainly no disrespect to Carlos (have you read his interview with WSI?) but regardless of whether he was healthy or not, nothing was going to help that 1969 team.

The reason I listed the players that I did was because in all of their cases, the injuries either knocked the Sox out of contention for the pennant/ division or were of the most freaky nature known to man. In many of them the Sox were in first place until that player got hurt then...look out below!

"Your next stop...the Twilight Zone..."

Lip

ode to veeck
06-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Looking at the paper this morning, the Sox are saying they're going in with arthroscope today. Meniscus tear is still the leading suspect. If it is meniscus, might be a pretty small tear, as it hasn't shown up on MRI (might be the best news).

Hopefully, by end of day today, we'll hear they found and fixed the problem & the predictability of the time we'll still be missing Maggs will improve. Right now there's still a ot of uncertainty to the situation.

I think the Sox will certainly miss, but do OK without Magglio for 7 weeks. They've got the best pitching in the Al Central and improved hitting (over '01-'03 clubs) if the kids (Harris, Uribe, Olivo) keep hitting, and Crede keeps rising from that Mendoza line.

Yea, a single Magglio hit w/RISP in either Oakand game woulda been a win there, but I'm betting we'll still be in 1st when Magglio returns end of July. The "kids are all right" vs corpseball will be the key in early summer.