PDA

View Full Version : The I support Kenny Williams thread

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 12:28 AM
I didn't think it would come down to this, but gosox41's continual unfair bashing has led to this.

You dont have to be in favor of the Burke move which hasnt even happened yet, just understand that it's rational and that in general you support KW.

I support KW!!! :)

pearso66
06-04-2004, 12:30 AM
I too am in support of KW. I was wondering when someone would pop this up here. Until the team falters to last place, or 2nd to last, there is no reason to not like him. for me anyway

CWSGuy406
06-04-2004, 12:32 AM
I support you Kenny!

You know what would be funny? If Kenny got Freddy Garcia for Rauch/Rowand, he'd probably complain about it. 'We gave up on Rowand too soon! We gave up on Rauch too soon!'

HebrewHammer
06-04-2004, 12:35 AM
I don't like the Burke move, but I'll support KW, I like the team he's assembled here and I'm looking forward to seeing him add that elusive fifth starter. This is team is in first place, there are only five other teams that can boast that, we're supposed to be enjoying this.

gosox41
06-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
I support you Kenny!

You know what would be funny? If Kenny got Freddy Garcia for Rauch/Rowand, he'd probably complain about it. 'We gave up on Rowand too soon! We gave up on Rauch too soon!'

If you're talking about me you're dead wrong. Rauch and Rowand for Garcia? I'd do it in a second.

But I don't know if I can bring Reed up to replace Rowand. What if he fails and the Sox waste an option?

Bob

gosox41
06-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by HebrewHammer
I don't like the Burke move, but I'll support KW, I like the team he's assembled here and I'm looking forward to seeing him add that elusive fifth starter. This is team is in first place, there are only five other teams that can boast that, we're supposed to be enjoying this.

I am enjoying watching the team play. But I get really nervouse everytime KW is forced to make a move.

Bob

FarWestChicago
06-04-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I am enjoying watching the team play. But I get really nervouse everytime KW is forced to make a move.

Bob Do you absolutely have to try to dominate every thread with your obsession? You're starting to make Lip look good. :o:

gosox41
06-04-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Do you absolutely have to try to dominate every thread with your obsession? You're starting to make Lip look good. :o:

Well, right now I do have a lot of free time. :D:

Seriously, I love discussing baseball and even debating it (as long as it doesn't get personal). I really want the Sox to win and look forward to eating my crow served fried if KW brings a World Series championship to Chicago.

Bob

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

This is the type of post I was trying to avoid in this thread. Dont bother posting in this thread if you don't support KW, which you clearly dont.

DrCrawdad
06-04-2004, 01:08 AM
I'm a KW supporter.

doublem23
06-04-2004, 01:16 AM
I'm slowly become a KW supporter... He's made some good moves this year.... I don't love KW, but he doesn't freak me out any more. Right now we're in a happy medium.

Hey, he's better than Shueler.

samram
06-04-2004, 01:24 AM
I support KW. I like his aggressiveness. I don't care if a move goes bad as long as the intent is to make the team a World Series contender and I think KW does that in almost every move.

JB98
06-04-2004, 01:29 AM
I don't always agree with KW. In fact, I think the Burke move is absolutely ridiculous. Despite that, I think KW does a pretty good job. It wasn't so long ago that everybody wanted to kill KW for trading Miles for Uribe. Now, those same people want to run Valentin out of town to make room for Uribe in the starting lineup. It wasn't so long ago that people ridiculed the acquisition of Takatsu. Now, those same people want Shingo to be the closer. Those are two examples of underrated moves that have really helped this team. Sure, KW has made a couple mistakes (trading Foulke, Ritchie deal), but he's an aggressive GM and he's not going to win them all. It makes me feel better knowing that KW will at least go down swinging. I never want to see the Sox stand pat when the team has an obvious weakness that needs to be addressed. You can take it to the bank that KW will do something about this fifth starter spot. Whether he will do the right thing remains to be seen, but at least we know he'll make the effort to fix the problem.

patbooyah
06-04-2004, 01:29 AM
yeah for kenny.

StepsInSC
06-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Yay for KDub.

ode to veeck
06-04-2004, 02:04 AM
Hey, he's better than Shueler.

Hearts and Minds are falling ...

OEO Magglio
06-04-2004, 02:29 AM
Count me in. I'm a huge kw supporter and always have been. People seem to blame everything on this guy. But for some reason they won't seem to notice that the sox have been the most talented team in this division every year he has been gm, he has done his job the players and jm didn't do there's the last 3 years.

Jamieboy
06-04-2004, 03:10 AM
people are ridecules, KDub is the man. I can only point to one trade where he did real bad on, and that was the Todd Ritchie deal. Most other deals have been a wash or a plus. Kenny did pick up, Uribe(future starting SS), Willie Harris(starting 2B), Estaban Loaiza(#2 starter on team), Scott Schoenenweis(#4 starter on team), has picked up ace reliever Damaso Marte, soild reliever Shingo Takatsu, Cliff Politte has pitched well lately, but the guy is solid. Mike Jackson was another solid pick up. Not to mention Kenny isn't afraid to make a deal. Come on, we got Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar for virtually nothing. Royce Ring may turn out to be a solid reliever, maybe, and Myette has done what on the rangers. Plus I have to say Kenny has done some solid drafting, has the Sox Minor league system ever seem some talent laden. Some can argue about the guys Kenny has given up. The only notables I can think of in the majors actively are Kip Wells and Josh Fogg. Mark Johnson isn't in the majors. Neither is Sean Lowe. Neither is Mike Sirotka. When we got Kenny Lofton, he was thought to be washed up. That wasn't true. He proved fine when healthy, thoough after the first month of the season he was nagged with a hamstring injury while he was on the Sox. Jeff Liefer is no longer in majors. Baldwin is has been in and out of the majors. What guys are left in the majors ... Ray Durham, Kenny Lofton, Antonio Osuna, Rocky Biddle, David Wells, Keith Foulke. We couldn't afford to keep Durham or Foulke. Biddle never fit in with the Sox. Osuna is a solid gritty reliever, but he was easily replaced. I was sad to see Wells go. Unlike most people, not only did I like Wells, but I liked the way he pitched. But his back flared up on us. He's never been on conditioning, but he's usually good for throwing a bunch of solid innings, plus he throws strikes. All in all, bottom line, KDub knows how to run a team.

SSN721
06-04-2004, 07:12 AM
You're my boy KDub, you're my boy. :D: I think I have listed enough arguments in other KW bashing threads I dont wat to rehash why I like him. Mainly is that he has put together a team over his tenure that has had the talent and ability to win the division every year. ANd I dont know how people cant be happy or give him credit for the team he has put together this year. Good job my man, now go and get up that fifth starter. :D:

Iguana775
06-04-2004, 08:15 AM
It is pretty amazing that last year almost everyone wanted to kick him to the curb. But he has done a lot to change people opinions. he has done a good job getting talent for Ozzie.

dpbyron
06-04-2004, 08:16 AM
I support the only GM in Chicago during my lifetime that has had any ba***

At least he isn't afraid to make a mistake, which is unlike most people in any walk of life. What makes it even more difficult for him is that if he makes a mistake the whole world knows.

I genuinely admire Kenny.

thepaulbowski
06-04-2004, 08:22 AM
I support the man because of the passion he has. He shows his emotions on his sleeve, which isn't always a good thing, but he will do whatever he can to get the job done. Last year he gave the team all the tools they needed to get the job done, the players failed him. When he does the same this year, I don't think Ozzie will let the players faill KW.

jabrch
06-04-2004, 08:26 AM
GO KW!

Kenny's success to failure rate is extraordinarily high for a GM with only 3 years of experience. One need only look at the list of players he brought in to see this.

Uribe
Harris
Loaiza
Schoenweiss
Olivo
Takatsu
etc

Every move he makes doesn't turn out right - BFD - isn't that part of making moves? But I have more faith in his ability to get guys in here than I do in any other GM we have had.

GO KW!

:KW
"Thanks guys! - I am going to go flip over a buffet table now"

mmmmmbeeer
06-04-2004, 08:34 AM
I too support KW. His biggest mistake, even bigger than the Todd Ritchie gaggle, was not firing JM sooner. He put together the talent but didn't have the right man at the reigns to put it to good use. Of course, that decision may have come from above, but that's the biggest of the very few mistakes he's made in his tenure.

voodoochile
06-04-2004, 08:39 AM
I like KW and think he is doing everything in his power to try and win. He's not perfect, but no GM is and given his budgetary constraints, he does just fine, IMO.

Over By There
06-04-2004, 09:50 AM
I'm in. All of his moves haven't always worked out, but the fact that he has a commitment to winning and will try whatever it takes to win, is all I can ask for. :cool:

soxtalker
06-04-2004, 09:50 AM
OK -- you've shown that there are lots of supporters of KW. But you probably knew that already. In any debate that involves KW, there are plently of supporters and detractors.

I started out from the opposite position (not at all happy with KW), but I've been gradually coming around to appreciating much of what he does. I'm certainly not in the camp of many of you, but I won't highlight the reasons here. The point I'd like to make is that it is valuable to have people with extreme positions start provocative threads. I just read through and posted on the "Captain Chaos is at it again" thread that, I believe, triggered MRKARNO to start this thread. While much of the "Captain Chaos" thread was trading of opinions that may at times have even bordered on personal attacks, the debate brought out many considerations that were not obvious to me and probably many others.

Baby Fisk
06-04-2004, 09:57 AM
I'm with KW. We're in 1st place. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THAT?!?!

CHISOXFAN13
06-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. It does get tiresome to hear about the two bad deals K Dub has made when people won't give him credit for stealing Uribe, Marte and Scho, in addition to making several other nice additions.

Thumbs up to K Dub.

JasonC23
06-04-2004, 11:17 AM
I support KW...as soon as he is the GM of a team that makes the playoffs.

Randar68
06-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by samram
I support KW. I like his aggressiveness. I don't care if a move goes bad as long as the intent is to make the team a World Series contender and I think KW does that in almost every move.

I support KW. Great talent evaluator, but we all have to be willing to let his past mistakes be "learning on the job", as we all knew there would be some of that from the get-go.

Hopefully he has learned from them, which I think he has.

One of the most creative GM's in baseball at working with limited resources.

mantis1212
06-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
GO KW!

Kenny's success to failure rate is extraordinarily high for a GM with only 3 years of experience. One need only look at the list of players he brought in to see this.

Uribe
Harris
Loaiza
Schoenweiss
Olivo
Takatsu
etc

Every move he makes doesn't turn out right - BFD - isn't that part of making moves? But I have more faith in his ability to get guys in here than I do in any other GM we have had.

GO KW!

:KW
"Thanks guys! - I am going to go flip over a buffet table now"

I second this, and support KW.

wdelaney72
06-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Kenny does not get enough credit for some of the really good moves / decisions he's made. Yes,he's had a few clunkers, but overall, I'm a Kenny Williams fan.

stillz
06-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Good thread, MRKARNO. Williams seems determined to win, and for every move that hasn't panned out, he's struck a little gold..

As for Burke - why not give him a brief call up before the mid-season/stretch moves begin? It's beneficial to let Rowand, Gload, Perez play in Maggs' absence. If they produce, we're in a better position all-around.

I'm confident KW will go get a SP and a solid corner outfielder for the second half. He's proven he's aggressive and wants to win this year! Pair that with Ozzie's light-hearted, determined style, and we've got something.

lowesox
06-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
I'm with KW. We're in 1st place. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THAT?!?!

I wasn't going to post in this thread until I read this post. I've read on WSI countless times where somebody has argued that Kenny is a weak GM based on how his team's have never really won anything. But then somebody will reply that some things are beyond the GMs control. And that a GM shouldn't only be assessed on wins and losses. Which is fine, and Baby Fisk, chances are you weren't one of the people who wrote that - but the fact remains, peopl can't say it's not his fault when he doesn't win, then say it's all because of him when he does.

But that's beside the point. In fact, I think Kenny deserves a ton of credit for putting this team together. He's done an excellent job - an executive of the year type job.

But that doesn't change the fact that I dislike Kenny. The guy is a complete *******. Just look at the Rauch incident for proof.

His big problem is that he gets too impulsive - and doesn't think before he acts. Which is why I think a lot of his 'bigger' acquisitions (and by bigger, I mean the ones that were designed to have a major impact, versus the ones that actually did) flopped.

Randar68
06-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
But that doesn't change the fact that I dislike Kenny. The guy is a complete *******. Just look at the Rauch incident for proof.

His big problem is that he gets too impulsive - and doesn't think before he acts. Which is why I think a lot of his 'bigger' acquisitions (and by bigger, I mean the ones that were designed to have a major impact, versus the ones that actually did) flopped.

Like I said, the close-minded extremists with the personal vendetta's.

Yeah, Colon, Alomar and Everett deals were terrible. And yeah, the Wells trade, when made, was terrible.

*****. Just go off and relish in the KW-bashing threads.

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 12:17 PM

Well you're posting in the wrong thread if you want to bash KW.

This is the *Official* I support KW thread and you somehow saw that as an opportunity to go on and bash KW. I just don't get it with some people.

OEO Magglio
06-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

This is the *Official* I support KW thread and you somehow saw that as an opportunity to go on and bash KW. I just don't get it with some people.
You knew that was going to happen. For some reason people really hate the guy and think he's a bad gm, when that's completely false.

lowesox
06-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yeah, Colon, Alomar and Everett deals were terrible. And yeah, the Wells trade, when made, was terrible.

Randar, I'd expect you to put something like that in teal - was that an oversight? I hope not. Because none of those deals got us anywhere - except in 2nd place with less prospects.

steff
06-04-2004, 01:59 PM
I'll support him.....

in his next job. :D:

CHISOXFAN13
Randar, I'd expect you to put something like that in teal - was that an oversight? I hope not. Because none of those deals got us anywhere - except in 2nd place with less prospects.

And that was WIllimams' fault? Heaven forbid you place blame on the shortcomings of the players on this roster.

Ridiculous.

steff

Can I get a smiley wearing a cop uniform, please? :D:

lowesox

Come on, KARNO. WSI is divided 50/50 on the KW thing. (Not to mention it's a place where people come to debate.) Did you really want to have a KW lovefest thread without letting others challenge it?

Honestly, is the "I love Kenny Williams" argument so indefensible that nobody is allowed to question it?

lowesox
06-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
And that was WIllimams' fault? Heaven forbid you place blame on the shortcomings of the players on this roster.

Ridiculous.

My point exactly. Everybody in love with Kenny only gives him credit for the wins and doesn't hold him accountable for the losses.

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 02:01 PM

And it's KW's fault that the team that he put together, which should have been good enough for a decent playoff run, was going to lay over and die in those last 5 games against the Twins???? That's totally not his fault. If you want to blame anyone blame Manuel because KW put together a team whose Pythagorean W-L was the best in the division by a decent margin. Manuel's bad managment led to our underacheivement. KW did his part to put together a winning team.

This post just goes to show that some people will find any way to put KW down despite the fact that since the Koch trade he's made almost all the right moves.

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Come on, KARNO. WSI is divided 50/50 on the KW thing. (Not to mention it's a place where people come to debate.) Did you really want to have a KW lovefest thread without letting others challenge it?

Honestly, is the "I love Kenny Williams" argument so indefensible that nobody is allowed to question it?

No one ever said you weren't allowed to start the "*Official* I dont support Kenny Williams thread." That's what I would have expected someone like you do, not go and hijack this thread with your personal agenda.

lowesox
06-04-2004, 02:05 PM
And it's KW's fault that the team that he put together, which should have been good enough for a decent playoff run, was going to lay over and die in those last 5 games against the Twins???? That's totally not his fault. If you want to blame anyone blame Manuel because KW put together a team whose Pythagorean W-L was the best in the division by a decent margin. Manuel's bad managment led to our underacheivement. KW did his part to put together a winning team.

This post just goes to show that some people will find any way to put KW down despite the fact that since the Koch trade he's made almost all the right moves.

See my post above yours. You were actually making my point.

(For the record though, Williams should have fired Manuel at the beginning of the year).

Listen. I've been over the KW argument about 10 times now - I think about 4 times alone with Randar. So, I'm not looking to get into it again. I guess I couldn't just bite my tongue when I saw a thread devoted to a guy who's obviously a total *******.

Randar68
06-04-2004, 02:07 PM
My point exactly. Everybody in love with Kenny only gives him credit for the wins and doesn't hold him accountable for the losses.

And you practically say the "wins are in spite of Kenny, the losses because of him, the players are perfect and not at fault, JM was not at fault, KW is at fault."

Get over it. Sean Lowe was a marginal major league pitcher. Despite your hatred of KW, if you can't be reasonable and open-minded putting your personal feeling for him aside, then stick a sock in it, because your credibility is NIL on the matter.

lowesox
06-04-2004, 02:08 PM
No one ever said you weren't allowed to start the "*Official* I dont support Kenny Williams thread." That's what I would have expected someone like you do, not go and hijack this thread with your personal agenda.

What are we 5? "This is my thread, I called it." If you make a bold statement, don't be afraid to defend it. The whole point of WSI is to give people a chance to argue their opinions.

Randar68
06-04-2004, 02:10 PM
I saw a thread devoted to a guy who's obviously a total *******.

There you go again. Get over Sean Lowe's experience with KW. If you can't accept this as a business and not take the handling of players as commodities personally, then don't get your panties in a bunch every time the topic comes up. I don't care if you bite your tongue or scream at your screen, but bite your freaking fingers clean-off, because you can't control your anger towards him. That's clear enough, no?

MRKARNO
06-04-2004, 02:11 PM
I guess I couldn't just bite my tongue when I saw a thread devoted to a guy who's obviously a total .

Well that "*******" is the reason why we're competitve this year. I have to keep doing this because the anti-KW people are just ignorant to the facts, but where would we be without:

Takatsu
Schoeneweis
Loaiza
Marte
Jackson
Harris
Olivo
Uribe???

Oh wait, I'll tell you. We'd be behind Minnesota despite the fact that they are absolute CRAP this year. We might be a .500 club. More than likely not.

Well if this "*******" is going to help us win and make us the most competitive team possible well goddammit he's the best "*******" we could possibly have as our GM!

FarWestChicago
06-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Come on, KARNO. WSI is divided 50/50 on the KW thing. Not quite 50% (http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34487)

lowesox
06-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Get over it. Sean Lowe was a marginal major league pitcher.

I think you have me confused with somebody else. Either that, or you chose a really obscure point to bring up.

By the way, if you read my post earlier on I gave KW full credit for this year's team. You see, once again you make yourself look ignorant.

Randar68
06-04-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Not quite 50% (http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34487)

LOL! "Well, that's not a fair poll, FWC"...

<insert lowesox' new poll asking if KW is an a-hole or not, like that makes one iota of difference>

I have an idea, how about we post a poll asking if people who have personal vendetta's should be allowed to post in KW-related threads>

Preach hate somewhere else, folks.

Randar68
06-04-2004, 02:15 PM
I think you have me confused with somebody else. Either that, or you chose a really obscure point to bring up.

By the way, if you read my post earlier on I gave KW full credit for this year's team. You see, once again you make yourself look ignorant.

Yep. Pot... meet Mr. Kettle.

Baby Fisk
06-04-2004, 02:16 PM
I wasn't going to post in this thread until I read this post. I've read on WSI countless times where somebody has argued that Kenny is a weak GM based on how his team's have never really won anything. But then somebody will reply that some things are beyond the GMs control. And that a GM shouldn't only be assessed on wins and losses. Which is fine, and Baby Fisk, chances are you weren't one of the people who wrote that - but the fact remains, peopl can't say it's not his fault when he doesn't win, then say it's all because of him when he does.

But that's beside the point. In fact, I think Kenny deserves a ton of credit for putting this team together. He's done an excellent job - an executive of the year type job.
So if folks generally think Kenny deserves credit for putting this team together, what's with the sudden eruption of people calling for his head?

Oh. So it's personal, I guess.

Well, I'm far enough removed from Chicago never to have had ANY personal contact with folks in the organization, nor anyone else on WSI for that matter. I look at threads calling for the GM's head when the team is in first place, and I can't help but be astonished at the negativity that permeates so many posts. Help me out, anybody: has a first place team ever fired its GM? Why are people initiating this discussion now?

The focus of my argument is not "I credit Kenny for winning and don't blame him for losing" -- I'm questioning what sane person wants to fire a GM while the team is winning? Kenny may very well be a jerk, but isn't that just your personal opinion of the man? What does that have to do with how he runs the club?

Man! I HATE the day after off days!

lowesox
06-04-2004, 02:17 PM

Take a quick re-read.

Randar68
06-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Take a quick re-read.

I suggest you heed your own advice and stick a cork in it, then.

I guess I couldn't just bite my tongue when I saw a thread devoted to a guy who's obviously a total *******.

lowesox
06-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I'll cork it... but only because I have to get back to work. (This 15 minutes of arguing has been much more exciting than the rest of my morning).

rahulsekhar
06-04-2004, 02:26 PM

Yeah, I really miss Aaron Myette, Josh Rupe, Anthony Webster, and Matt Ginter, and Joe Valentine.

Too bad we couldn't replace the likes of those stars-in-waiting with guys like Neal Cotts, Jon Adkins, Felix Diaz, and that guy we just got from KC who's started out well.......oh wait......

Yeah, the farm system's really in trouble.

jabrch
06-04-2004, 03:05 PM
an off day, then 2 losses followed by an offday again brings out all the moronic posts. It never ceases to amaze me.

DickAllen72
06-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Kenny Williams is passionate about the White Sox and is passionate about winning. He is always trying to improve this team. He made some very good moves in the past and he is aggressively pursuing moves to improve the team now.

Sure, he's made mistakes (who hasn't?) but remember he is also a relatively young GM and is learning just like everyone else. As long as his hands aren't tied by JR, he will bring us a Champion.

pinwheels3530
06-05-2004, 09:54 PM
I support Kenny, back off JERRY SPRINGER SOX FANS!! Remeber soxfest when alot of fans bashed Kenny for Uribe, Schoey, Willie, Shingo etc...........YOU WERE WRONG!!!!! The way some of fans acted at the fest gave us bad press the nect day.......YOU WERE WRONG!!!! :gulp:

ChiSox14305635
06-06-2004, 12:10 AM
I support KW 100%. It's a shame he gets maligned by the clueless schmos in the Chicago media while they do all they can to put Hendry on a friggin' pedestal. The guy does more with less.