PDA

View Full Version : Rowand's error yesterday

ode to veeck
06-03-2004, 09:54 PM
The totally biased game recap from yesterday's game states An error by Aaron Rowand allowed Durazo to score and tie the game

Rowand was charged with an error on Hatteberg's single because the muff allowed Hatteberg to 2nd, not because Durazo scored from 2nd on the single. Most have argued in the game and post game threads that Rowand's error was inconsequential as Billy Boy subsequently got Burns out on a solidly hit drive deep to right center to end the inning.

Rowand, posessing a decent arm, might actually have had a decent shot at Durazo on a play at the plate on Hatteberg's shallow but slightly floated single, but you can't at all say the error allowed him to score ... well maybe you could if it was the extremley totally zealously biased game recap ... the same column that expects us to win 160 games a year

Jjav829
06-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
The totally biased game recap from yesterday's game states

Rowand was charged with an error on Hatteberg's single because the muff allowed Hatteberg to 2nd, not because Durazo scored from 2nd on the single. Most have argued in the game and post game threads that Rowand's error was inconsequential as Billy Boy subsequently got Burns out on a solidly hit drive deep to right center to end the inning.

Rowand, posessing a decent arm, might actually have had a decent shot at Durazo on a play at the plate on Hatteberg's shallow but slightly floated single, but you can't at all say the error allowed him to score ... well maybe you could if it was the extremley totally zealously biased game recap ... the same column that expects us to win 160 games a year

As soon as I typed that I wondered if someone would call me on it. Would Rowand have thrown Durazo out? Who knows. With him having bobbled the ball, we'll never know. Durazo isn't exactly a speed demon but because he couldn't come up with the ball cleanly, he never had a chance to throw him out. Hey, it is a biased game recap so I have no problem putting that his error allowed Durazo to score. :smile:

I hesitated on how to word that phrase. I can understand both points of view. There's a chance that Rowand has a play at the plate, and there's a chance that Durazo easily scores. My point still stands that without him cleanly playing the ball, we have no idea whether he has a chance to throw Durazo out.

npdempse
06-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

I hesitated on how to word that phrase. I can understand both points of view. There's a chance that Rowand has a play at the plate, and there's a chance that Durazo easily scores. My point still stands that without him cleanly playing the ball, we have no idea whether he has a chance to throw Durazo out.

I vote for him having had a chance at the plate. It was pretty shallow, and he got to it quickly, but who knows. I'm generally a defender of Rowand's D, but this is the second time in a week that he's overrun a blooper because he's concentrating more on getting the ball back to the infield than getting his hands on it in the first place.

MRKARNO
06-03-2004, 10:30 PM
I dont think you can award an error when someone singles with a RISP with the reason being that the runner should have been thrown out at home. That's just not a routine play. Allowing the runner to get to second would be an error however.

Randar68
06-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
As soon as I typed that I wondered if someone would call me on it. Would Rowand have thrown Durazo out? Who knows. With him having bobbled the ball, we'll never know. Durazo isn't exactly a speed demon but because he couldn't come up with the ball cleanly, he never had a chance to throw him out. Hey, it is a biased game recap so I have no problem putting that his error allowed Durazo to score. :smile:

*cough*
*choke*
*cough*

Observational data is worthless. Thank god an error recorded this event for use by all valid measures of effective defensive play...

RedPinStripes
06-03-2004, 10:48 PM
An unproud former member of the FOC . ( Clean for over 2 years now) says **** ROWAND!

ode to veeck
06-04-2004, 12:50 AM
To be clear, the awarded error had nothing to do with Durazo scoring. The awarded error was entirely due to the fact that even Magglio with unknown ligament, muscle, and cartiledge damage coulda walked to second base on Hatteberg's short single after the bobble.

Nobody gets an error for failure to get the runner trying to score from second on an outfield single in this day and age.

To be truthful, nobody mentioned this in the game day and post game threads, and I didn't even really think of the possibility until I read JJav's totally biased recap, but it was a relatively shallow single and Rowand does have a decent arm. Did Rowand allow Durazo to score?

Aaron probably was going for the angle on a good throw on a wierdly blooped ball & that cost him the muff. While shallow, the hit floated a little (possibly slowing it), so I think without seeing a replay again, it would be hard to call whether Aaron had either a really good shot, or a snowball's chance in hell to gun down Durazo.

I'm glad I asked, cause it sounds like thats exactly what JJav intended and wasn't a misread. Way to bias that recap. I like it, cause it wouldn't be WSI if it wasn't totally biased around here, even if there's 250 widely differenct bias points of the compass at any one time.

Now let's get back to a simpler question, one with a totally unequivocable and obvious answer: who's our closer supposed to be now?!

FarWestChicago
06-04-2004, 12:53 AM
I'm glad I asked, cause it sounds like thats exactly what JJav intended and wasn't a misread. Way to bias that recap. I like it , cause it wouldn't be WSI if it wasn't totally biased around here, even if there's 250 widely differenct bias points of the compass at any one time.Wow, you get older and now you go FOC on us. Next thing we'll hear from you is Crash is a better outfielder than Roberto Clemente. :smile:

ode to veeck
06-04-2004, 01:01 AM
Not until Crash throws out three different runners at three different bases in the same inning, all on strikes in the air to the correct side of the base.

Well maybe a little sooner, since his cousins were both nice and cute

On the other hand, I think associating the word crash (even in abbreviation) and the immortal Roberto "greatest right fielder of all time" Clemente in the same post is in really poor taste !
where are all those nazi middle aged mods at WSI when you really need them

FarWestChicago
06-04-2004, 01:03 AM
On the other hand, I think associating the word crash (even in abbreviation) and the immortal Roberto "greatest right fielder of all time" Clemente in the same post is in really poor taste !
where are all those nazi middle aged mods at WSI when you really need them Ack!! I didn't even think of that. :(: