PDA

View Full Version : Sox talked about on I, Max


TomParrish79
06-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Was watching I, Max this afternoon and the 2nd story they talked about was without a solid closer were the WhiteSox for real.

Max and Bil Wolfe both agreed that the Sox had the best pitching in the league right now and were infact for real. They also went on to say that the Sox because of their division are more likely to make the playoffs than the Cubs.

Anyway I was glad we were getting some coverage on the show. Also glad to see that more than just us sox fans believe we have a chance.

Navaro's Talent
06-03-2004, 06:35 PM
This is good to hear. I wouldn't exactly say that Koch will hold us down from making the playoffs because he hasn't been all that bad this year. As long as he can get his velocity back up to at least the upper 90's consistently bu July, we shouldn't have to worry too much about him. As for the rest of the team, they are definitely for real. They have been for real for a few years now, but this is the first year in a long time that the team had a manager that compares well with their personalities. Go Sox!!!

MRKARNO
06-03-2004, 06:45 PM
I really dont think Koch is going to blow a lot of saves this year. He's simply not getting a ton of really close save ops. I think it will be rare that he is only given a 1 run lead and I think he's good enough not to blow a 2 run lead.

Did any of them talk about whether or not the idea of Shingo as closer was going to fly, Max?

SoxxoS
06-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I really dont think Koch is going to blow a lot of saves this year. He's simply not getting a ton of really close save ops. I think it will be rare that he is only given a 1 run lead and I think he's good enough not to blow a 2 run lead.

Did any of them talk about whether or not the idea of Shingo as closer was going to fly, Max?

If by rare...you mean about 10-15 games...we CAN'T AFFORD TO EVEN LOSE HALF OF THOSE.

TomParrish79
06-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Max said he believed they were for real for one reason, Starting pitching. He named Buehrle, Loaiza and Garland as the reason we will take the Central.

Plus he added that the Twins dont have the pitching especially with Mays out to keep up, even in the A.L. Central.

MRKARNO
06-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
If by rare...you mean about 10-15 games...we CAN'T AFFORD TO EVEN LOSE HALF OF THOSE.

I dont think Koch is so bad that he'd blow half of 12 games with a one run lead. That doesnt change the fact that Takatsu should be the closer however, but Koch remaining the closer for the rest of the regular season is not going to be our downfall. If Koch continues to blow saves he will be removed as closer, but he's blown a grand total of two on the year so Ozzie is unlikely to remove him as closer. I strongly dissagree with his thinking, but he's done a lot of other good things so far so I will withhold my criticism of how stupid I think it is.

MRKARNO
06-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by TomParrish79
Max said he believed they were for real for one reason, Starting pitching. He named Buehrle, Loaiza and Garland as the reason we will take the Central.

Plus he added that the Twins dont have the pitching especially with Mays out to keep up, even in the A.L. Central.

And he's absolutely right. I dont usually agree with him but he knows what he's talking about in this case.

SoxxoS
06-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I dont think Koch is so bad that he'd blow half of 12 games with a one run lead. That doesnt change the fact that Takatsu should be the closer however, but Koch remaining the closer for the rest of the regular season is not going to be our downfall. If Koch continues to blow saves he will be removed as closer, but he's blown a grand total of two on the year so Ozzie is unlikely to remove him as closer. I strongly dissagree with his thinking, but he's done a lot of other good things so far so I will withhold my criticism of how stupid I think it is.

If he blows 2 out of 9, that is over 20% of games lost. We can't afford to lose games like yesterday.

The Twins are slumping, but the past 3 years shows us they aren't going to lie down and go away. This race will probably be close, and we can't have a closer like Koch to pin our hopes.

NOBODY in the WSI community will feel confident if Billy Koch comes out to close a 5-4 game in game 5 of the first round of the playoffs against the Yankees. Isn't that what a closer is supposed to be? Give you confidence? I have no confience in Botch and I don't want him to count on him and have him **** up this whole season.

MRKARNO
06-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
If he blows 2 out of 9, that is over 20% of games lost. We can't afford to lose games like yesterday.

The Twins are slumping, but the past 3 years shows us they aren't going to lie down and go away. This race will probably be close, and we can't have a closer like Koch to pin our hopes.

NOBODY in the WSI community will feel confident if Billy Koch comes out to close a 5-4 game in game 5 of the first round of the playoffs against the Yankees. Isn't that what a closer is supposed to be? Give you confidence? I have no confience in Botch and I don't want him to count on him and have him **** up this whole season.


So you think Billy Koch turning it around is Pie in the Sky, Max?

SoxxoS
06-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
So you think Billy Koch turning it around is Pie in the Sky, Max?

You know in Dumb and Dumber there is a million to 1 chance of Lloyd going out with Mary? And Lloyd then says: "So you are saying I have a chance?"

There is no chance of me having any confidence in Botch in the season or the playoffs.

gosox41
06-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
You know in Dumb and Dumber there is a million to 1 chance of Lloyd going out with Mary? And Lloyd then says: "So you are saying I have a chance?"

There is no chance of me having any confidence in Botch in the season or the playoffs.


If Botch is our closer all year, we won't even make the playoffs.

Remember 2003? All the problems this team had with slumps and lack of 5th starters could have easily been avoided by one thing: Not trading a superior reliever for an inferior one.



Bob

SEALgep
06-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
If Botch is our closer all year, we won't even make the playoffs.

Remember 2003? All the problems this team had with slumps and lack of 5th starters could have easily been avoided by one thing: Not trading a superior reliever for an inferior one.



Bob Wow it's sounds so simple when you put it that way. It's really just that easy. I don't care if Koch is the closer all season, we'll make the playoffs. In fact, I think he'll continue to do pretty well, as he has been except for a couple bad outings.

MRKARNO
06-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
If Botch is our closer all year, we won't even make the playoffs.


Yeah this is a statement which I believe is entirely incorrect. If your closer blows about 4 or 5 saves in a year you're in the same boat with almost any other team. Percival has been terrible this year for example and I dont think the Angels are going to miss the postseason.

We're so much better than the Twins that Koch is going to have to blow 10 saves to even make this division interesting at the end of the day. Now once we're in the playoffs, it's a whole different story. When it's all said and done, billy will probably still be able to convert about 80-85 % of the time.

maurice
06-03-2004, 09:03 PM
The Sox definitely are more likely to make the playoffs than the cubs are, but strength of the division is not much of a distinction. The real reason is because the Sox have played well this year and are looking to add talent, while the cubs are a banged-up, aging, mediocre team that still needs to prove that it can post consecutive winning seasons. So far, the cubs are only incrementally better than Milwaukee and Pittsburgh, and they've been thoroughly outplayed by a "who dat?" Cincinnati club. When it all shakes out, I suspect that Houston will prove to be the class of the NL Central by a wide margin.

CHISOXFAN13
06-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
If Botch is our closer all year, we won't even make the playoffs.

Remember 2003? All the problems this team had with slumps and lack of 5th starters could have easily been avoided by one thing: Not trading a superior reliever for an inferior one.



Bob

Who's winning the division then? Seriously.

I love the pessimistic people on here who love to bypass the Twins mediocre record against miserable teams and figure their problems aren't as bad as the White Sox.

MetalliSox
06-03-2004, 10:38 PM
No offense to their viewers, but "I, Max" is the worst sports show I can remember.
Kellerman is a personality but that Wolfe guy is super lame.

WSox8404
06-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I dont think Koch is so bad that he'd blow half of 12 games with a one run lead. That doesnt change the fact that Takatsu should be the closer however, but Koch remaining the closer for the rest of the regular season is not going to be our downfall. If Koch continues to blow saves he will be removed as closer, but he's blown a grand total of two on the year so Ozzie is unlikely to remove him as closer. I strongly dissagree with his thinking, but he's done a lot of other good things so far so I will withhold my criticism of how stupid I think it is.

I do because an ERA of 4.5+ says he will.

Whitesox029
06-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by TomParrish79
Was watching I, Max this afternoon and the 2nd story they talked about was without a solid closer were the WhiteSox for real.

Max and Bil Wolfe both agreed that the Sox had the best pitching in the league right now and were infact for real. They also went on to say that the Sox because of their division are more likely to make the playoffs than the Cubs.

Anyway I was glad we were getting some coverage on the show. Also glad to see that more than just us sox fans believe we have a chance.
It just figures that a small-time free-trial brand-new show would be the only one to come to this conclusion. I, Max won't be around much longer if they continue to upset CubNation.

Whitesox029
06-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
You know in Dumb and Dumber there is a million to 1 chance of Lloyd going out with Mary? And Lloyd then says: "So you are saying I have a chance?"

There is no chance of me having any confidence in Botch in the season or the playoffs.
Just a side note, the exact quote from Lloyd was "What are the chances of a guy like you going out with a girl like me?"

About the same as Koch ever being a halfway decent closer, Lloyd, those are the chances.

TomParrish79
06-04-2004, 12:27 AM
Wolfe guy is super lame


Come on Wolfe is great.

bennyw41
06-04-2004, 10:36 AM
I can't believe that anyone would base a thread, let alone an argument on what that bag of ass Max Kellerman. Please, consider the source, and then consider not watching that show.

TomParrish79
06-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Well believe it. And if you dont like it your ass doesn't have to read it. Go back to bitching about the team on another thread.


I just thought it was good to get some national coverage, something that Sportscenter and Baseball Tonite hasnt done yet.

harwar
06-04-2004, 11:30 AM
I don't know about imax but baseball tonight went out of their way to mention the fact that they thought theWhite Sox wouldn't make the playoffs.They had a special graphic made up that said "The White Sox won't make the playoffs".
Of course they also said that the cubs would definately make the playoffs.
The only place where you can get the real White Sox info is right here on this site.

CanOfCorn
06-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by MetalliSox
No offense to their viewers, but "I, Max" is the worst sports show I can remember.
Kellerman is a personality but that Wolfe guy is super lame.

Jeez, how can you call "I, Max" the worst show when his previous show had Moronotti as a panel member?

bennyw41
06-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by TomParrish79
Well believe it. And if you dont like it your ass doesn't have to read it. Go back to bitching about the team on another thread.


I just thought it was good to get some national coverage, something that Sportscenter and Baseball Tonite hasnt done yet.

HOW DARE YOU. A little defensive of your man Max.
I have two quotes for you.

1. "You don't know me"- Jerry Springer guests


2. Mr. Parrish "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"-Billy Madison

TomParrish79
06-04-2004, 02:29 PM
LOL

I gotta give it to ya, that second quote made me bust out laughing, I love that damn movie.


Anyway dont be mad at me, come over here and give me some sugar!!

bennyw41
06-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Ooh that boy's a fine piece of work all right. He's a fine piece of ass though, too.

wdelaney72
06-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Koch sucks. It's obvious.

TomParrish79
06-04-2004, 04:25 PM
If Peeing your pants is cool, then I'm Miles Davis.

WhiteSox = Life
06-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by TomParrish79
LOL

I gotta give it to ya, that second quote made me bust out laughing, I love that damn movie.


Anyway dont be mad at me, come over here and give me some sugar!!


Originally posted by bennyw41
Ooh that boy's a fine piece of work all right. He's a fine piece of ass though, too.

It may have been a little strange, but that's some great dialogue. This poster is just one of many that is happy you two kissed and made up.

:smile:

jabrch
06-04-2004, 07:19 PM
The Koch-haters are about as irrational these days as the KW-haters. (Although there is strong overlap) It's kinda funny. I wonder how some people survive life so miserable about A FIRST PLACE TEAM?

SoxxoS
06-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Yeah this is a statement which I believe is entirely incorrect. If your closer blows about 4 or 5 saves in a year you're in the same boat with almost any other team. Percival has been terrible this year for example and I dont think the Angels are going to miss the postseason.

We're so much better than the Twins that Koch is going to have to blow 10 saves to even make this division interesting at the end of the day. Now once we're in the playoffs, it's a whole different story. When it's all said and done, billy will probably still be able to convert about 80-85 % of the time.

Still feel the same, KARNO?