PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez DL, Boone on block

pudge
06-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Ibanez going to the DL, M's will be missing their best hitter this weekend.

Seattle radio has reported very few players on the team are untouchable, even Boone is up for grabs... Now combining Boone in a trade with Garcia might really make things interesting. Boone plays amazing defense, although his average is slumping this year.

jabrch
06-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Ibanez going to the DL, M's will be missing their best hitter this weekend.

Seattle radio has reported nobody on the team is untouchable, even Boone is up for grabs... Now combining Boone in a trade with Garcia might really make things interesting. Boone plays amazing defense, although his average is slumping this year.

I don't really want Boone - he isn't worth the cost. I like our 2Bs as is. Garcia, Guardado and Ichiro all would interest me if they are looking to tear the team apart. But realistically, I'd settle for just Garcia.

mdep524
06-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I don't really want Boone - he isn't worth the cost. I like our 2Bs as is. Garcia, Guardado and Ichiro all would interest me if they are looking to tear the team apart. But realistically, I'd settle for just Garcia.

Although I would be worried about his perennial post-All Star game dive, I think Ichiro would be great for the Sox down the stretch this year, and would be a perfect fit for this team to counter balance Lee, Konerko, Magglio, Crede, etc.

Getting two (or even three) of those three--Garcia, Ichiro and Guardado--would be the best thing the Sox could possibly do among all the trade possibilites out there. They fit the Sox 2004 needs PERFECTLY.

HomeFish
06-03-2004, 04:34 PM
I predicted Boone to the Yankees this offseason. Any chance of that?

fuzzy_patters
06-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
I predicted Boone to the Yankees this offseason. Any chance of that?

I don't think they will wait that long.

Navaro's Talent
06-03-2004, 04:54 PM
Aaron Rowand and Jon Rauch for Ichiro and Freddy Garcia

HomeFish
06-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I don't think they will wait that long.

I mean I made the prediction during the offseason immediately prior to the season we are currently playing in. The prediction had this happening during this season.

2B is a huge whole for the Yankees. The only position they do not have an All-Star at. Boone would fix that, despite the terrible luck they've had with infielders carrying that name.

guillen4life13
06-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Actually, here's a question that I have that I don't think anyone has thought about (or maybe there's an obvious answer to it).

Who's gonna end up being the skipped starter on off-days if a guy like Garcia is traded for?

I mean think about it--everyone in the rotation would be a damn good pitcher.

Buehrle
Garcia
Loiaza
Schoenweis
Garland

All of them are doing really well. Who's the odd man out, or do they even skip anyone?

Navaro's Talent
06-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Actually, here's a question that I have that I don't think anyone has thought about (or maybe there's an obvious answer to it).

Who's gonna end up being the skipped starter on off-days if a guy like Garcia is traded for?

I mean think about it--everyone in the rotation would be a damn good pitcher.

Buehrle
Garcia
Loiaza
Schoenweis
Garland

All of them are doing really well. Who's the odd man out, or do they even skip anyone?

Skipping someone in this rotation could be bad for confidence, so I would hope that if they are all doing well, no one would be skipped. If someone is in a minor slump, then maybe Ozzie can afford to skip a guy at least once, but then the confidence of the pitcher comes into play again.

MRKARNO
06-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
Although I would be worried about his perennial post-All Star game dive, I think Ichiro would be great for the Sox down the stretch this year, and would be a perfect fit for this team to counter balance Lee, Konerko, Magglio, Crede, etc.

Getting two (or even three) of those three--Garcia, Ichiro and Guardado--would be the best thing the Sox could possibly do among all the trade possibilites out there. They fit the Sox 2004 needs PERFECTLY.

Ichiro has a bad contract which averages 11 million dollars a year and runs through 2007. Why would we get him when we have Reed in the wings?

Guardado's contract averages about 4.5 million a year through 2006 and might be a good option, but he could opt out of it at the end of any year as stipulated in his contract (and we could too, it's a mutual opt-out).

pudge
06-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Ichiro has a bad contract which averages 11 million dollars a year and runs through 2007. Why would we get him when we have Reed in the wings?

Guardado's contract averages about 4.5 million a year through 2006 and might be a good option, but he could opt out of it at the end of any year as stipulated in his contract (and we could too, it's a mutual opt-out).

That's why I think Boone is an interesting option because I believe he's a FA after this season. Ichiro we don't want, not at that price.

I'd put Uribe at 3B, move Harris to CF and put Boone at 2B. Wow, no more Crede in the everyday lineup, I'm down with that.

HITMEN OF 77
06-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Living in WA State and 3 hours from Seattle, trust me WE DON"T WANT BOONE. Not a good mix for our team and not as good as everyone thinks he is. Defense is good at best.

pudge
06-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Living in WA State and 3 hours from Seattle, trust me WE DON"T WANT BOONE. Not a good mix for our team and not as good as everyone thinks he is. Defense is good at best.

Well, and I live 10 minutes from Safeco and I think you're nuts. His defense is gold-glove caliber, and put him in our lineup and he would mash.

HITMEN OF 77
06-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Well, and I live 10 minutes from Safeco and I think you're nuts. His defense is gold-glove caliber, and put him in our lineup and he would mash.

We don't need mash and we don't need his attitude. By the way you going to the games this weekend Pudge?

Navaro's Talent
06-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Watching Boone wiff at the Home Run Derby alomst had me on the floor! Classic!

pudge
06-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
We don't need mash and we don't need his attitude. By the way you going to the games this weekend Pudge?

It won't happen anyway, just interesting to think about. I will be there this weekend, you?

DickAllen72
06-03-2004, 06:17 PM

Just for the sake of discussion, would you trade Reed, Sweeney and Anderson for Ichiro, Garcia and Guardado? Anyone?

HITMEN OF 77
06-03-2004, 06:33 PM
It won't happen anyway, just interesting to think about. I will be there this weekend, you?

I'll be there all 3 games sec 141 row 30, wanna meet up before/after the game for a drink? I usually go to Pyramid Brew before and Sluggers after. Let me know via here or PM.

OEO Magglio
06-03-2004, 07:24 PM
No thanks on boone. The sox already have uribe, willie, and jose for the middle infield. Boone is just another right handed power hitter.

mdep524
06-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by DickAllen72
Just for the sake of discussion, would you trade Reed, Sweeney and Anderson for Ichiro, Garcia and Guardado? Anyone?

No, but I'd trade Reed, Lee, Rauch and a mid level pitching prospect for Ichiro, Garcia and Guardado.

That would give them two starting OFs, you think that would be enough? (again, just for the sake of argument)

A. Cavatica
06-03-2004, 08:04 PM
How about Lee, Wunsch, Rauch for Garcia, Guardado & a prospect?

SEALgep
06-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
How about Lee, Wunsch, Rauch for Garcia, Guardado & a prospect? I would probably be inclined to do that trade.

OEO Magglio
06-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I would probably be inclined to do that trade.
I'd do it in a heartbeat but would seattle?

iwannago
06-03-2004, 08:12 PM
I would probably be inclined to do that trade.

Mariners would not want to pay Lee's salary.

:)

SEALgep
06-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I'd do it in a heartbeat but would seattle? No. :)

OEO Magglio
06-03-2004, 08:34 PM
No. :)
Exactly.

SEALgep
06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
Mariners would not want to pay Lee's salary.

:) Lee isn't making that much for what he can bring to the table. He doesn't always do well for us, but for the most part he does. The problem is we have lots of hitters like him, although with less speed. Other teams, even with his salary (which is probably attractive to a lot of teams), would gladly stick him in their lineup.

DickAllen72
06-03-2004, 08:37 PM
No, but I'd trade Reed, Lee, Rauch and a mid level pitching prospect for Ichiro, Garcia and Guardado.

That would give them two starting OFs, you think that would be enough? (again, just for the sake of argument)

I think the only way they would give up Ichiro is for multiple top prospects. Giving up Ichiro means they are giving up on the present for the future, and Lee is a player for the present and not as good as Ichiro.

Reed, Diaz & Cotts for Guardado and Garcia they may go for, but would we?

A. Cavatica
06-03-2004, 08:47 PM
I don't want Ichiro unless he agrees to move to CF, and even then I don't want him that badly...as I've posted elsewhere, his skills are eroding alarmingly fast.

OEO Magglio
06-03-2004, 08:52 PM
as I've posted elsewhere, his skills are eroding alarmingly fast.
He's batting .339 with 13 stolen bases, your right this guy really sucks.

A. Cavatica
06-03-2004, 09:11 PM
With few walks and basically no power.

StepsInSC
06-03-2004, 09:32 PM
I would feel certain Ichiro is one of the untouchables...the amount of revenue he brings the Mariners and the entire city of Seattle is crazy.

OEO Magglio
06-03-2004, 09:33 PM
With few walks and basically no power.
Well sounds exactly like the guy they've had the last three years.

MRKARNO
06-03-2004, 09:38 PM
I really dont want Ichiro. We can't afford Ichiro's contract (11 mil a year till 2007). The Mariners dont want to trade Ichiro either, so let's stop talking about Ichiro.

And why would you trade for Ichiro when you have Reed, who projects to be Ichiro-like? Maybe his outfield arm isnt as good and he wont steal as many bases, but he also costs $300,000.

The Whole Ichiro thing just doesnt make sense for us in almost every way.

jordan23ventura
06-03-2004, 10:29 PM
Finally. A topic involving Seattle outfielders that doesn't include Randy Winn. And before anyone says anything, he sucks. Willie can do better any day.

batmanZoSo
06-03-2004, 10:49 PM

I'd give them Lee, Rauch, Munoz and Borchard. Maybe another "midlevel" too. I think that's fair because Garcia's a free agent, so we could be only getting two in that deal for the long run. Our outfield would have to be Reed, Ichiro, Ordonez...what a shame

Of course in this scenario we could afford to lose Magglio as we'd have such a great defensive outfield and a lot more speed in the lineup with Reed and Ichiro. I'm not supporting giving up Maggs but if he does go, then we'd put Reed in center, Ichiro in right and just find some left fielder...Gload might even be the answer. Or maybe we could get Everett back or someone like him.

Not to get ahead of ourselves or anything. :smile:

batmanZoSo
06-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
Finally. A topic involving Seattle outfielders that doesn't include Randy Winn. And before anyone says anything, he sucks. Willie can do better any day.

I sure as hell wouldn't want current Randy Winn, he's just terrible. But the 02/03 Winn would be a perfect fit especially for next year when Valentin's gone and Willie will be at second.