PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical scenario: Koch or Takatsu

Gumshoe
06-03-2004, 02:55 PM
This thread is for all those that actually watch our beloved White Sox and think they know what is going on. That said, who would you be more comfortable with?

The scenario is game 1 of the playoffs, hypothetically, and you have a 1 run lead. Do you bring in Takatsu or Koch?

If you use this criterion and you choose BK, I think you probably also work at BK. I'd like that king sized, please.

Seriously, what sox fan in their right mind would feel MORE comfortable with Billy in there? Come on guys. If this is the case, why would you even consider using BK now? Man, this is disgusting if Ozzie doesn't learn from this. I hope KW isn't pushing his hand, as in the past.

Gumshoe

Dadawg_77
06-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
This thread is for all those that actually watch our beloved White Sox and think they know what is going on. That said, who would you be more comfortable with?

The scenario is game 1 of the playoffs, hypothetically, and you have a 1 run lead. Do you bring in Takatsu or Koch?

If you use this criterion and you choose BK, I think you probably also work at BK. I'd like that king sized, please.

Seriously, what sox fan in their right mind would feel MORE comfortable with Billy in there? Come on guys. If this is the case, why would you even consider using BK now? Man, this is disgusting if Ozzie doesn't learn from this. I hope KW isn't pushing his hand, as in the past.

Gumshoe

Here is one way I would feel more comfortable with Koch then Takatsu.

One the bottom of the lineup is up and lead is three runs or greater. Plus earlier in the game Takatsu and other came in to stop rallies and prevent early runs from scoring. Thus it is either Koch or Pollite. So for your question the answer is Takatsu.

Malgar 12
06-03-2004, 03:03 PM
I would feel more comfortable with Takatsu but he has no track record closing games, so who knows.

The one thing I do know is that Billy Krotch always makes me uncomfortable, no matter the lead.

wdelaney72
06-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Takatsu.

SoxOnTop
06-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Malgar 12
I would feel more comfortable with Takatsu but he has no track record closing games, so who knows.

The one thing I do know is that Billy Krotch always makes me uncomfortable, no matter the lead.

Being the all time saves leader in Japan doesn't count as a "track record for closing"?

They guy has shown he can pitch in the MLB. Closing is just a mind set. Which, judging by how he got is nickname, he already has.

SOXintheBURGH
06-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Gotta be Shingo.

Irishsox1
06-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Koch has been a problem since day 1, but I think that he deserves another shot. Ozzie is gonna let Billy fire himself. Once Billy blows one or two more games, then I believe Ozzie will make the move. Billy is the closer until Ozzie taps him on the shoulder and declares Takatsu the closer. Yes, another mind numbing loss to Oakland feels like a kick in a balls with a iron boot, but when you play 162 games, your bound to have some tough losses.

fuzzy_patters
06-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe

Gumshoe

If you take a look at their performances against left-handed batters it is pretty obvious why Takatsu is not the closer. He had trouble with lefties in spring training, and this has continued. His recent string of scoreless innings is due in large part to not facing many left-handed batters. In other words, he is a ROOGY.

Sox pitcher's statistics versus left-handed hitters. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/stats/cws_sortable_player_stats.jsp?baseballScope=cha&teamPosCode=all&statType=2&timeSubFrame=2004&sitSplit=lb&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1)

Gumshoe
06-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Another closer who is virtually unhittable with a great change? Don't put him in! Trade him! Get him out of town!

I love what stuff people end up creating when someone isn't "prototypical". Results, I guess, mean little anymore. Meanwhile, we've got a guy with 16 straight IP without giving up a run and another guy we traded away who is 1-0 with a 0.95, .163 BAA and 0.85 WHIP, and better than a 3:1 K/BB ratio.

I wonder who that could be?

ChiSox7
06-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
If you take a look at their performances against left-handed batters it is pretty obvious why Takatsu is not the closer. He had trouble with lefties in spring training, and this has continued. His recent string of scoreless innings is due in large part to not facing many left-handed batters. In other words, he is a ROOGY.

Sox pitcher's statistics versus left-handed hitters. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/stats/cws_sortable_player_stats.jsp?baseballScope=cha&teamPosCode=all&statType=2&timeSubFrame=2004&sitSplit=lb&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1)

This is a bash Billy Koch thread thank you very much, so your well reasoned and thoughtout argument has no place here. :smile:

SoxOnTop
06-03-2004, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
[B]If you take a look at their performances against left-handed batters it is pretty obvious why Takatsu is not the closer. He had trouble with lefties in spring training, and this has continued. His recent string of scoreless innings is due in large part to not facing many left-handed batters. In other words, he is a ROOGY.[B]

You may want to look a little closer to those stats. click on the "Next Stats" link and compare their WHIP, SLG and OBA. I think that shows Takatsu has more than taken care of Lefties. How the heck would you calculate a pitcher's L/R ERA splits anyway?

Although, I don't know if I'd trust any of those stats especially when it says that Koch as already thrown 54 inning and Takatsu has thrown 32.1. Something isn't right with that chart.

Malgar 12
06-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Being the all time saves leader in Japan doesn't count as a "track record for closing"?

They guy has shown he can pitch in the MLB. Closing is just a mind set. Which, judging by how he got is nickname, he already has.

No, it doesn't count as major league baseball closing experience. I am just trying to point out that we need to be careful what we wish for. Would I prefer Takatsu? Of course. Anybody but Krotch is fine with me, but he MAY not be an improvement. The only way to find out is to try him and see what happens.

na_na_na_na
06-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Malgar 12

13 years in Japan seems like a track record to me. Most people will agree that while Japan isn't the Majors it's on par with AAA. If we had a closer dominating down there we would at least give him the shot. Especially if he did it for such a long time.

TomParrish79
06-03-2004, 04:24 PM
I would rather see Ozzie send Joey Cora out to pitch the 9th.

If Koch cant handle the pressure of a game in June, then he would have a seizure on the mound in October.