PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 6.3.04

Hangar18
06-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Problem with the SOX losing, is it causes them to continue to get NO Coverage. Wolf on FOX today commented on the "Poll" calling the Yanks #1, and Cubs #2 most popular teams in the usa.
Wolf than said one of those teams has the most championships, and the other the most losses.....pretty funny. One of the anchors asked Wolf what was wrong with Koch,,,,,,,,and he replied "he sucks, get rid of him already". awesome.

Cubune:
5 & 6 cub stories
3 & 3 sox stories
Cub-Times:
5 & 5 cub stories
3 & 3 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training..........
CUBS 811
SOX 555

Hangar18
06-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Marty the Media Man says: The reason the SOX didnt get the most stories Today, is because the Cubs are home, and SOX on the road, Plus, Cubs playing a Division Opponent

CubKilla
06-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
One of the anchors asked Wolf what was wrong with Koch,,,,,,,,and he replied "he sucks, get rid of him already". awesome.

If Wolf actually used those exact words, that's gutsy "journalism" :D:

bennyw41
06-03-2004, 11:31 AM
I expect the final standings to be representative of the fan base in chicago. No offense, but we are outnumbered. You want split coverage, but they are in the money making business. I am not trying to start another media bias thread, but I think there is a difference between bias and coverage.

IowaHawksFan1
06-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by bennyw41
I expect the final standings to be representative of the fan base in chicago. No offense, but we are outnumbered. You want split coverage, but they are in the money making business. I am not trying to start another media bias thread, but I think there is a difference between bias and coverage.

My feelings on this is that if they want to have 6 Cubs game (or game related stories) and 3 Sox's game (or game related stories) that is fine with me I have absolutely no problem with that. My problem with the Chicago media (and I only get The Score and what I can read of the papers on the net) is in how they present that coverage. If someone gets murdered on the North Side, cover it like you would on the South side, etc. The coverage doesn't have to be equal but how it is covered should be.

Newspapers are a business and they are going to give the team that they feel is going to sell the most papers more coverage. I can't argue that, nor can I blame them for that. However, responsible journalism requires that if they are going to cover something it should be covered in the same way. That is what angers me.

I disagree with the people who believe that coverage should be exactly equal. While in an utiopian world that would happen this isn't one. Paying a reporter to cover a game costs money, a paper must feel like they will get their investment back in papers sold by sending that reporter to the game. The paradox here is that the more coverage in the paper the more interest generated in the team, but you need to have the interest in the team in order to have the coverage in the paper.

Having said that, I really like Hangers updates and I get a laugh out of them everyday. I hope he continues to update them.

bennyw41
06-03-2004, 12:16 PM
My point exactly. I think that Bias is completley different that sheer number of stories. I don't know what Hangar thinks about all of this, but IMO, if he wants equal coverage, he's dreaming.

Iwritecode
06-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by IowaHawksFan1
Newspapers are a business and they are going to give the team that they feel is going to sell the most papers more coverage.

No, they are going to give the team they have the most money invested in more coverage. It's common sense.

Hangar18
06-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
No, they are going to give the team they have the most money invested in more coverage. It's common sense.

The Tribune definitely has a Vested Interest in giving the Cubs more and positive coverage, even hiding stories if it hurts the cubs. The Sun-Times is a Direct Competitor of the Tribune, so they will follow lock-step whatever it is the Trib does.

So the Trib gives the Cubs more coverage? Well, then the SunTimes will see to it that they TOO give twice as much coverage. The Trib puts out a a RedEye newspaper? Well then the Sun-Times will follow suit with a RedStreak newspaper too. Extra coverage begets extra "fans" begets extra coverage begets extra "fans".

JRIG
06-03-2004, 01:27 PM
The Tribune definitely has a Vested Interest in giving the Cubs more and positive coverage, even hiding stories if it hurts the cubs. The Sun-Times is a Direct Competitor of the Tribune, so they will follow lock-step whatever it is the Trib does.

So the Trib gives the Cubs more coverage? Well, then the SunTimes will see to it that they TOO give twice as much coverage. The Trib puts out a a RedEye newspaper? Well then the Sun-Times will follow suit with a RedStreak newspaper too. Extra coverage begets extra "fans" begets extra coverage begets extra "fans".

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I think the Red Streak was in the works long before the Tribune decided to respond with Red Eye. Either way, neither of them is worth the paper its printed on.

Hangar18
06-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Still NO Maggs watch either ..........

IowaHawksFan1
06-03-2004, 02:27 PM
My goal wasn't trying to knock Hanger. I love his updates and I am always very interested in them. I work in athletics, more specifically in the Media Relations/Sports Information field so I take media stuff very seriously.

I like that Hanger keeps track of the # articles about each team as I find it interesting. I love to read that stuff and do similar things myself. I think Hanger understands what my previous post said and what I meant by it. But there are a lot of people who think the number of stories should be exactly equal (or close) each day and I guess that was who my post was pointed towards. I hope Hanger didn't take my post as a shot at him (I couldn't tell if he did or not) if he did I apologize to him, because I love his updates.

The Trib has no business owning a paper and another business (in this case team) if it can't be objective in it's coverage (and that doesn't mean equal stories, just equality in how the stories are covered). That is my point.

This topic of coverage of the Sox's and the Cubs along with the problems of media owning something it covers might potentially be discussed with the person teaching a Media class at Iowa this summer, as it could potentially be a good example of problems of media owning businesses it covers.

Once again I hope Hanger didn't think I was upset with him.

jackbrohamer
06-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by IowaHawksFan1
The Trib has no business owning a paper and another business (in this case team) if it can't be objective in it's coverage (and that doesn't mean equal stories, just equality in how the stories are covered). That is my point.

The Cubune has a conflict-of-interest that it cannot avoid. They are subsidiaries of the same parent corporation, and favorable coverage is in the interests of the parent corporation.

It can't be seen as a legitimate news media outlet regarding its Cubs coverage as long as it owns the Cubs.

RustyKuntz
06-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Did you count this story in the Tribune? And if so, how would you score it?

Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-040603wickerpark,1,1508553.story?coll=chi-news-hed)

The article is about an attempted assault in Wicker Park over the weekend. It describes the suspect...

"He was last seen wearing a black White Sox baseball cap, a blue shirt with "Wrigley Field" written on it, black jeans and black and white gym shoes, police said."

nasox
06-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Still NO Maggs watch either ..........

It's not going to happen (a Maggs watch, I mean)

kittle42
06-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by RustyKuntz
Did you count this story in the Tribune? And if so, how would you score it?

Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-040603wickerpark,1,1508553.story?coll=chi-news-hed)

The article is about an attempted assault in Wicker Park over the weekend. It describes the suspect...

"He was last seen wearing a black White Sox baseball cap, a blue shirt with "Wrigley Field" written on it, black jeans and black and white gym shoes, police said."

He's an equal opportunity assaulter.