PDA

View Full Version : America's Favorite Baseball Team

Uncle_Patrick
06-03-2004, 09:24 AM
I caught this one on Fox News In The Morning, and I couldn't find a website with the whole list, but there was a survey conducted, ranking baseball teams in terms of popularity. The Yankees were #1, the Cubs were #2, the Braves were #3. The White Sox were #27! I'm sure you can do the math, but that means there's only 3 teams that America cares about less than the Sox (at least according to this poll). I wish I could find the whole list to see who's above and below us, but, even with the Cubs residing in the same town, I can't believe people around the country have so little interest in the Sox.

Railsplitter
06-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Uncle_Patrick
I caught this one on Fox News In The Morning, and I couldn't find a website with the whole list, but there was a survey conducted, ranking baseball teams in terms of popularity. The Yankees were #1, the Cubs were #2, the Braves were #3. The White Sox were #27! I'm sure you can do the math, but that means there's only 3 teams that America cares about less than the Sox (at least according to this poll). I wish I could find the whole list to see who's above and below us, but, even with the Cubs residing in the same town, I can't believe people around the country have so little interest in the Sox.

Were any of us asked the question.

PaulDrake
06-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Most folks I meet, if they have an interest in sports automatically assume I root for the Cubs when I tell them I grew up in Chicago. I've found that these people usually don't even have the Chicago White Sox on their radar, or if they do, their viewpoint is negative. This is almost across the board, with a few exceptions here and there.

livewir
06-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Is it really that big of a suprise? the cubs have WGN broadcasting them nationwide, the Yankee's continue to win championships or atleast come close and have the east coast media machine pushing them. and the Braves have The turner network to broadcast them nationwide. Lets try and get our own city to rally around us before we really start worrying about some news stations list of America's favorite baseball teams.

-LiveWire

BigEdWalsh
06-03-2004, 09:43 AM
I'll bet the 3 ranked below us are the Brewers, Expos and Devil Rays. I'm quite sure they're teams that are perennial losers.
But this does not come as any surprise. The national media only follows the Chicago media's leads. The rest of the country is just as Cub-prejudiced as is the Chicago area.

Palehose13
06-03-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by BigEdWalsh
The national media only follows the Chicago media's leads. The rest of the country is just as Cub-prejudiced as is the Chicago area.

Oh yeah. When out of town and people ask where I'm from and I say "Chicago", I will sometimes get a "cubs" reference and then when I tell them that I am not a cub fan, they seem really shocked.

minastirith67
06-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Well, that's Fox "news" for you right there. Something tells me this might want to go to the "Politically Incorrect" portion of WSI.

**** Fox, and their self-righteous claims for "fair and balanced" news. This material isn't even newsworthy, let alone telling. Leave it to Rupert Murdoch for the continued overtabloidization of the mass media.

DSpivack
06-03-2004, 10:54 AM
The only surprise for me is that the Braves are #3. Sure, they have TBS and all, but people here just don't really care that much anymore. Maybe it's because the Braves are finally mediocre, maybe it's because Atlanta isn't a big sports town, maybe I just don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

vegyrex
06-03-2004, 11:03 AM
When I worked at a Marriott outside of Boston I met one guy who didn't even know the White Sox existed. He wasn't from Boston he was from Canada. He told me he was able to see the Cubs on cable TV when he was growing up.

kittle42
06-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Oh yeah. When out of town and people ask where I'm from and I say "Chicago", I will sometimes get a "cubs" reference and then when I tell them that I am not a cub fan, they seem really shocked.

I get that same look/reaction of shock.

You should see it when I tell them I'm not a fan of the Bears, either.

doublem23
06-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Oh yeah... Last year, during the play-offs everyone just assumed I was rooting for the Cubs. When I told them I'd rather dig my eyeballs out with a spoon, they were shocked. What makes it even richer is that I hardly ever leave without my Sox hat.

ChiSoxBobette
06-03-2004, 11:32 AM

Where was this question asked outside the ballparks of the teams finishing in the top ten. Because with the way the media is in this town the question was probably asked outside gigley only. We all know that the sports reporting in this town is biased towards one team. I'm surprised we finished 27th I'm surprised the White Sox were mentioned at all. Besides who cares as long as we're Sox fans screw the rest of them!

GO WHITE SOX!

bennyw41
06-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by kittle42

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

GoSox2K3
06-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Not a surprise to me. Think about it - a vast majority in the Kansas City area, even people who don't really follow baseball, are going to say "Royals", a vast majority in Minnesota will say "Twins", etc. Repeat this for every other team and their respective region. The reality is that, unless some is really a baseball fan, or has roots on the South Side, they are not going to say "White Sox" just because they are from Illinois.

But, I did NOT choose my favorite baseball team based on some freakin' popularity contest! When I was a kid, I became a Sox fan because they WERE and still ARE the underdogs! Every other jerk I knew and their brother loved the Cubs and it made me sick!!!! I couldn't help rooting for the Sox because they are the truest of underdogs who never get any respect. Being a Sox fan takes real character and shows that we're not lemmings following the brain-dead masses. When I meet someone and find out they are also Sox fans, I feel a sense of instant comradery because we Sox fans are not a dime-a-dozen like stinking Cub fans!

Anyone who believes that the Cubs are underdogs or that being a Cubs fan is special and difficult is either lying or a FREAKIN' IDIOT!!! Rooting for the Cubs is like being in jr. high or high school and just latching onto a crowd of people who are popular but are really a bunch of shallow idiots.

So, Sox fans, take heart, don't let this "survey" get you down. This underdog status should be our rallying cry and we should wear it on our sleeves!!!
GO WHITE SOX!!! DON'T LET THE BLUE MENACE IN TOWN GET YOU DOWN!! WE'RE SOX FANS AND PROUD OF IT - GOT A FREAKIN PROBLEM WITH THAT? WE'LL ROOT FOR THE SOX IN BRIDGEPORT, BEVERLY, ORLAND PARK, NAPERVILLE, SCHAUMBURG, AND LAKEVIEW !!! RRAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! (Howard Dean-type scream)

soxtalker
06-03-2004, 11:45 AM
I can't say this bothers me very much. In fact, anything that helps us fly under the radar is ok, though I doubt that the other major league teams are much affected by this. If we manage to win the World Series, our ranking will probably go up considerably.

CanOfCorn
06-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Cardinals fans here automatically assume that I'm a Cubs fan. I've made a lot of friends through mutual hatred.

Whenever I come across a Royals fan, they say, "Don't give me that garbage that you're one of 500 people in Chicago that actually supports the Sox."

DirtySouthsider
06-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
I get that same look/reaction of shock.

WHAT!!!!...you're not a Bears fan!??.......I'm shocked!

MRKARNO
06-03-2004, 12:00 PM
The ason this team is not higher on that list is because we haven't been to the postseason enough the past few years. I feel that this team could be on the verge of making the postseason in back to back years for the first time in our 103 year history. We've been sitting on a mediocre team for about 3 years now that if they could put it together could have been a powerhouse. We're finally putting it together lead by Ozzie and the fact that we have the best pitching staff we've had since the other team which looked like it was going to be the start of something (1993). If we got Sabathia, Sheets or were able to acquire Garcia and sign him long term I think we would be too good to lose this division for the next few years. The fact is that we dont have the Yankees, Red Sox or A's in our division, so I think we can and will take this division and define it by winning it in at least two straight years. I think our current window of opportunity is now through 2006 as many of the contract expire in that year unless we were to resign people to longer contracts (I hope expecially we can keep Buehrle) and that's also about the time that Thomas' contract runs out.

hitless_wonder
06-03-2004, 12:17 PM
I just wanted to comment on the popular idea. Yesterday before the game I was watching batting practice, and an usher came up to me asking me why I like the sox. I explained, and he said that if he lived in Chicago he would root for the Cubs. I asked why. This guy says "tradition." What are you kidding me. I talked to him for a few more minutes, but thought this guy is a chode. Anyway I can see how the cubs are popular around the country.

Paulwny
06-03-2004, 12:19 PM
The yankmees are also the most hated team.

Frankfan4life
06-03-2004, 12:24 PM
I'll bet the 3 ranked below us are the Brewers, Expos and Devil Rays. I'm quite sure they're teams that are perennial losers.
But this does not come as any surprise. The national media only follows the Chicago media's leads. The rest of the country is just as Cub-prejudiced as is the Chicago area.
So true. The Chicago media promotes the cubs with myth-telling (lies). Today Moronotti says that he was shocked that cubfans booed Corey Patterson (after all everyone knows cubfans don't boo their own players, they love them too much). Does anyone remember Todd Hundley? Also, his side-kick (can't think of his name) said no free agents want to play for the White Sox (he repeated this at least two times). What? Does Kenny Lofton ring a bell?

The Chicago media has promoted the cubs by romanticizing and exaggerating everything about them while at the same time harping on the negative and ignoring, downplaying or dismissing many interesting aspects or accomplishments concerning the White Sox. The results of that are evident.

Uncle_Patrick
06-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Just to clarify, this was on the local Fox channel in Chicago, not "Fox News", as in the cable station. I wasn't surprised by who was at the top, except for maybe the Braves (my perception of them was that no one really cares about them, even in Atlanta), but I can't believe that people around the country are more interested in teams like the Padres, the Rockies, the Blue Jays, or even our Central division rivals like the Twins and the Royals than in the White Sox.

I think all local Sox fans are aware of the "From Chicago=Cubs Fan" assumption of out of towners. How about "You're not from the South Side = You must be a Cubs Fan" experience? I live in the Northwest Suburbs and everytime I've started a new position at work, or gone to a new doctor or something, I'm still bombarded with puzzled looks when I tell people I'm a life long White Sox fan and no, I'm not from, nor have I ever lived on the South Side. I may as well say I'm an Expos fan. People around here can comprehend that about as well as being a Sox fan on the North side.

Frankfan4life
06-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Not a surprise to me. Think about it - a vast majority in the Kansas City area, even people who don't really follow baseball, are going to say "Royals", a vast majority in Minnesota will say "Twins", etc. Repeat this for every other team and their respective region. The reality is that, unless some is really a baseball fan, or has roots on the South Side, they are not going to say "White Sox" just because they are from Illinois.

But, I did NOT choose my favorite baseball team based on some freakin' popularity contest! When I was a kid, I became a Sox fan because they WERE and still ARE the underdogs! Every other jerk I knew and their brother loved the Cubs and it made me sick!!!! I couldn't help rooting for the Sox because they are the truest of underdogs who never get any respect. Being a Sox fan takes real character and shows that we're not lemmings following the brain-dead masses. When I meet someone and find out they are also Sox fans, I feel a sense of instant comradery because we Sox fans are not a dime-a-dozen like stinking Cub fans!

Anyone who believes that the Cubs are underdogs or that being a Cubs fan is special and difficult is either lying or a FREAKIN' IDIOT!!! Rooting for the Cubs is like being in jr. high or high school and just latching onto a crowd of people who are popular but are really a bunch of shallow idiots.

So, Sox fans, take heart, don't let this "survey" get you down. This underdog status should be our rallying cry and we should wear it on our sleeves!!!
GO WHITE SOX!!! DON'T LET THE BLUE MENACE IN TOWN GET YOU DOWN!! WE'RE SOX FANS AND PROUD OF IT - GOT A FREAKIN PROBLEM WITH THAT? WE'LL ROOT FOR THE SOX IN BRIDGEPORT, BEVERLY, ORLAND PARK, NAPERVILLE, SCHAUMBURG, AND LAKEVIEW !!! RRAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! (Howard Dean-type scream)
FAN-tastic! Obviously a contender for RANT OF THE YEAR ! This is why being a Sox fan is so freaking cool!

Baby Fisk
06-03-2004, 12:37 PM

Who cares. Voting's for losers anyway. :D:

I'm glad the Sox are ignored. Can you imagine if this site was populated by a few thousand tools who would always post:

"SOX RULE! YAAAAH! BIG HURT! YAHHHHH! BEER! PARTY! WOOOOHOOOOO! SOX!"

Sox fans may tend to be bitter or self-pitying, but at least they can carry an intelligent conversation.

Lip Man 1
06-03-2004, 12:43 PM
This tends to happen where entire generations have lived and died without seeing the White Sox even get to, let alone win, a World Series.

Throw in perhaps the most despised owner in pro sports one who for his own personal reasons, almost got baseball completely shut down (and who voted against ending the labor impasse in the Spring of 1995) and you can understand why.

But remember it's your fault!

Lip

Fenway
06-03-2004, 01:06 PM
FAVORITE MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM: 1993 - 2003
"What is your favorite major league baseball team?"
Base: Follow major league baseball

Rank Rank Rank
1999 2003 2004

New York Yankees 2 1 1
Chicago Cubs 3 7 2
Atlanta Braves 1 2 3
Boston Red Sox 8 6 4
Detroit Tigers 10 15 5
Philadelphia Phillies 16 12 6
San Francisco Giants 26 9 7
Baltimore Orioles 9 =18 8
Los Angeles Dodgers 7 8 =9
Pittsburgh Pirates 18 =18 =9
Houston Astros 22 =20 =9
Cleveland Indians 5 4 =9
St. Louis Cardinals 4 14 13
New York Mets 12 3 14
Seattle Mariners 6 11 =15
Texas Rangers 15 13 =15
Minnesota Twins 11 5 =17
Arizona Diamondbacks NA =16 =17
Kansas City Royals 24 =25 =19
Cincinnati Reds 13 10 =19
Florida Marlins 25 =25 21
Oakland Athletics 19 =20 22
Milwaukee Brewers 21 23 23
Colorado Rockies 14 24 24
Anaheim Angels 23 =16 =25
San Diego Padres 17 22 =25
Chicago White Sox 20 27 27
Tampa Bay Devil Rays NA 28 28
Toronto Blue Jays** 28 29 29
Montreal Expos** 27 30 30

NOTE: It should be noted that the sample was limited to the United States. It is therefore no surprise that the two Canadian teams place last on this list in surveys where no Canadian residents are surveyed.

The Harris Poll(R) #40, June 2, 2004

PaulDrake
06-03-2004, 01:17 PM
The Pirates tied for ninth?! Aren't they 28th or 29th in attendance this year.

SOXintheBURGH
06-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
The only surprise for me is that the Braves are #3. Sure, they have TBS and all, but people here just don't really care that much anymore. Maybe it's because the Braves are finally mediocre, maybe it's because Atlanta isn't a big sports town, maybe I just don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Atlanta represents the entire South, not just Atlanta. I have plenty of friends from places like South Carolina and Alabama and they are all die hard Braves fans just as into baseball and their team as we are.

I get the same things you guys all get being out in Pennsylvania. People always assume that I love the Cubs, and I have to explain to them at length why I am not and all the reasons why I love this team so much, usually while I'm wearing a Sox hat or jersey.

samram
06-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by SOXintheBURGH
Atlanta represents the entire South, not just Atlanta. I have plenty of friends from places like South Carolina and Alabama and they are all die hard Braves fans just as into baseball and their team as we are.

I get the same things you guys all get being out in Pennsylvania. People always assume that I love the Cubs, and I have to explain to them at length why I am not and all the reasons why I love this team so much, usually while I'm wearing a Sox hat or jersey.

That's true about the South. They tend to be Braves fans. Or they're Yankees fans, which seems really stupid. In Charlotte, where they only recently have had pro teams, the two favorite teams seem to be the Yanks and the Cowboys, and then the Celtics in basketball. There may be more Cowboy fans than Panther fans down here, although the Super Bowl will affect that because this place has as many bandwagon jumpers as Wrigleyville.

CubKilla
06-03-2004, 01:28 PM
The Tigers are # 5? I'd be interested to see how this interview sample was obtained. I notice no one from Canada was polled so the only team more despised than the White Sox are the D-Rays.

JR sure has done a hell of a job making the White Sox a "first class" organization during his 20+ years of ownership.

:ohno

"A first class disappointment."

SOXintheBURGH
06-03-2004, 01:59 PM
"SOX RULE! YAAAAH! BIG HURT! YAHHHHH! BEER! PARTY! WOOOOHOOOOO! SOX!"

Only reason we went so down in popularity is because we lost Dan Pasqua, and without a marketable player to rival Sosa, we have no chance.

Hangar18
06-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Whenever I see a "Poll" like this, I immediately throw out the TOP 3 Answers (always Braves,Yanks,Cubs) and see who people
REALLY FEEL they like. Of course the nation is "Cubjudiced"
already.

ewokpelts
06-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Whenever I see a "Poll" like this, I immediately throw out the TOP 3 Answers (always Braves,Yanks,Cubs) and see who people
already.

it's a harris poll...who actually responds to those?
Gene

Uncle_Patrick
06-03-2004, 02:07 PM
The Brewers are ahead of the White Sox?!?! People in Wisconsin don't even care about the Brewers!

Fenway
Originally posted by Hangar18
already.

Then according to your logic the Red Sox are #1 <bowing>

Something I am curious about as we in New England have never gotten WGN to begin with ( Tribune feeds WPIX New York instead which they also own )

The White Sox have a good chunk of games on WGN-9 in Chicago itself, but are they carried on the cable feed? Many in Chicago don't realise that outside of Chicago many shows carried by Channel 9 here are not seen elsewhere. Does this carry over for baseball as well?

I have no doubt that Tampa Bay probably ranks #30 in North America, the Expos still have fans in Canada. The Fighting Seaweed are ignored in the TB area.

soxtalker
Why have the Mets fallen so far?

Uncle_Patrick
06-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Why have the Mets fallen so far?

Probably because Estes failed to hit Clemens during that Yankees vs. Mets game in 2002. No one likes a wimp.

GoSox2K3
06-03-2004, 02:13 PM
... but I can't believe that people around the country are more interested in teams like the Padres, the Rockies, the Blue Jays, or even our Central division rivals like the Twins and the Royals than in the White Sox.
You have to remember that those teams have entire markets or regions to themselves. I'm sure the Rockies fan base covers alot of territory. The Twins? They have the entire State of Minnesota as their own exclusive domain. Etc.

[i] How about "You're not from the South Side = You must be a Cubs Fan" experience? I live in the Northwest Suburbs and everytime I've started a new position at work, or gone to a new doctor or something, I'm still bombarded with puzzled looks when I tell people I'm a life long White Sox fan and no, I'm not from, nor have I ever lived on the South Side. I may as well say I'm an Expos fan. People around here can comprehend that about as well as being a Sox fan on the North side. [/B]
I grew up in Des Plaines and I know exactly what you mean!! And yet, if you go out and about you do see some other people w/ Sox hats, shirts, bumper stickers, etc. So, I was always pretty annoyed when people acted so absolutely incredulous at the idea that I was a Sox fan. I live in Naperville now and it's not nearly as bad here - probably because this isn't the "North Side" of town.

Uncle_Patrick
06-03-2004, 02:16 PM

I grew up in Des Plaines and I know exactly what you mean!! And yet, if you go out and about you do see some other people w/ Sox hats, shirts, bumper stickers, etc. So, I was always pretty annoyed when people acted so absolutely incredulous at the idea that I was a Sox fan. I live in Naperville now and it's not nearly as bad here - probably because this isn't the "North Side" of town.

A couple years ago I was in a bar in Palatine and some guy told me he'd pay me if I'd turn my Sox shirt inside out so he didn't have to see the logo, and this wasn't even during baseball season. I didn't do it.

the_valenstache
06-03-2004, 02:17 PM
I was having an argument with a Cubs fan that I don't normally argue with, and he brought up an interesting point.

He said the Sox fans he hates the most are the ones that flock to the White Sox as some sort of reflex to the Cubs' media monopoly. He says that bandwagon backlash is just as suspect as hopping on one in the first place.

I kind of agree with him. Being "anti" something because of the constant attention that something receives is silly and no sign of true dedication. If the Sox somehow became the darlings of this city, how many shipjumpers would we have?

(Given that I realize that the seeds of Cub-hating have been planted for life in the intended audience of this post, I only make this assumption based on the fickle "Go SOX cuz (s)C(r)UBs SUK!!" kneejerk bull that my black-and-white brethren sometimes pull.)

My point is, I've been a Sox fan since before I made the decision to. I grew up all over the South Suburbs and never had the inclination to ditch my caste. Some of the Sox fans I respect are the ones that have suffered unconditionally beyond my 22 years.

I'm afraid of our fanbase uniting too much behind hating the Cubs rather than loving the Sox. Granted, seeing the Cubs slip down into 5th place during their "Guaranteed World Series Champion Season" is something I will always enjoy, but it is of no consolation for a losing White Sox team.

Uncle_Patrick
06-03-2004, 02:26 PM
I know there are Cardinals fans who like the White Sox because they hate the Cubs and there are Sox fans who like the Cards and Astros because they hate Cubs, but I don't know anyone who main team is the White Sox solely because they hate the Cubs. I think there are more out of towners who might like the Sox for that reason than there are locally.

doublem23
06-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Looking at this poll, I can't see how anyone would take it seriously. Look at how much these rankings change? You're telling me that people switch their baseball allegiances that fast that the Tigers can jump 10 spots and the Mets can plummet 9 in a year?

Whatever...

alohafri
06-03-2004, 02:36 PM
"When I worked at a Marriott outside of Boston I met one guy who didn't even know the White Sox existed."

I grew up in the Quad Cities as a scrub fan because I didn't know the White Sox existed!! They were never on TV or the radio.

Now I don't even have a smidgen of fondness for the scrubs. I hate their fans, their park, their ownership, their uniforms and everything they stand for. I will always be grateful to the ex-boyfriend (and later, my ex-husband) who brought me over from the dark side and into the [white] light of the Sox.

I know a few people other than myself who used to be scrub fans (my brother is one of them) who became a fan of another team. My bro lived in Colorado for many years and became a Rockies fan, although he still had a little fondness for the scrubs. But now that he has lived in Chicago for the last few years, I have been able to get him to shake off all remaining traces of scrub-ness and he actually likes the White Sox now. He is able to finally see through the shallowness and fruitlessness that is the epitome of a scrub fan.

----Mrs. Aloha

GoSox2K3
06-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Here's another way to look at the Sox situation: Despite sharing the same market with a team that is super rich, located in a neighborhood full of bars and yuppies, run by an evil media conglomerate, AND has managed to brainwash vast numbers of people into supporting them and their ballpark, the Sox still draw 2 million out of 5 million fans that go through the turnstyles at a major league park in Chicago - about 40%.

Also, next time you go out somewhere in town, look around and you're bound to see a number of Sox hats, shirts, bumper stickers, etc. I see Sox supporters every day as I walk downtown to work. I must be hallucinating these people, because I have been told over and over again that EVERYONE in Chicago loves the Cubs!

Now, I'm not denying that a majority of people in Chicago are rooting for the dark side of the force (the Cubs), but don't believe all this crap about how EVERYBODY in Chicago is a Cubs fan and NOBODY follows the Sox. It's really blown out of proportion by the majority Cub lovers and the Cub-lovin' media.

PaleHoseRon
06-03-2004, 02:54 PM
The Brewers are ahead of the White Sox?!?! People in Wisconsin don't even care about the Brewers!

Um, I care.

GoSox2K3
06-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by the_valenstache
I was having an argument with a Cubs fan that I don't normally argue with, and he brought up an interesting point.

He said the Sox fans he hates the most are the ones that flock to the White Sox as some sort of reflex to the Cubs' media monopoly. He says that bandwagon backlash is just as suspect as hopping on one in the first place.

Hey, don't let this guy B.S you like that! What kind of nonsense logic is that? A Cub fan saying that he hates those "bandwagon" Sox fans that "flock" to the Sox as a "reflex". Oh Give Me a ****ing Break! You're kidding, right? Did he also have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell?

I hope you're not taking this response as giving you a hard time - it's intended to give your friend a hard time because it sounds like he is really full of it and his logic is highly hypocritical. I wouldn't buy his load of bull if I were you.

Fenway
06-03-2004, 04:03 PM
I was just looking at the latest radio ratings for major markets, and the lack of interest in sports radio in Chicago is stunning.

Chicago ratings (http://www.radioandrecords.com/Subscribers/ratings/ratmain.asp?mkt=chi)

WSCR has a 1.4 and WMVP a 1.2

some other cities

proof my hometown is sports bonkers

Boston ratings (http://www.radioandrecords.com/Subscribers/ratings/ratmain.asp?mkt=bos)

WEEI has a 5.6 and is SECOND overall in the entire market. Is there ANY city in the US where the top 2 stations are on AM????

Philadelphia, WIP is healthy

Philadelphia ratings (http://www.radioandrecords.com/Subscribers/ratings/ratmain.asp?mkt=phi)

and of course New York where sports radio is dominated by WFAN

New York ratings (http://www.radioandrecords.com/Subscribers/ratings/ratmain.asp?mkt=nyk)

ESPN radio is dying there, as they are finding out nation shows simply do not play in a local market, except in Chicago where Patrick holds his own.

Now all I can say at this time is Comcast intends to treat the Sox and Cubs as equals next season, and you may see more Cub games on WCIU as WGN is stuck with the WB network.

As an outsider, I think the White Sox biggest problem is they have no natural rival except the interleague games with the Cubs. So the braintrust in Bristol, Conn (ESPN) almost never show the White Sox. Fox dumped the White Sox in a heartbeat when they had the chance to show Red Sox/Yankees in prime time. But in the end, only winning and making a serious run at the World Series will change things.

LongLiveFisk
06-03-2004, 04:09 PM
I really couldn't care less what the hell anyone else thinks of the things I like, whether it's music, tv shows, sports teams, etc. None of my favorites in any respect are what the "status quo" likes. But that's perfectly fine with me, since I'm of the belief that 90% of the world is stupid. When thinking of the popularity of some of the things I find repulsive, this theory holds up quite well.

Malgar 12
06-03-2004, 04:12 PM

Exactly! Since when is the truth popular anyway?

Baby Fisk
06-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
I really couldn't care less what the hell anyone else thinks of the things I like, whether it's music, tv shows, sports teams, etc. None of my favorites in any respect are what the "status quo" likes. But that's perfectly fine with me, since I'm of the belief that 90% of the world is stupid. When thinking of the popularity of some of the things I find repulsive, this theory holds up quite well.

Only 90% LLF? Boy, you suffer fools gladly... :D:

the_valenstache
06-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Hey, don't let this guy B.S you like that! What kind of nonsense logic is that? A Cub fan saying that he hates those "bandwagon" Sox fans that "flock" to the Sox as a "reflex". Oh Give Me a ****ing Break! You're kidding, right? Did he also have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell?

I hope you're not taking this response as giving you a hard time - it's intended to give your friend a hard time because it sounds like he is really full of it and his logic is highly hypocritical. I wouldn't buy his load of bull if I were you.

Ironically, the same guy was talking about how much he hates the Yankees and the Lakers - talk about bandwagon backlash.

I think the point he was trying to make was that some people he knew became Sox fans just because it was "different." These are the same people that claim to shrug off mainstream trends in favor of something "quirky." I agree; I don't necessarily want people rooting for the Sox like they're some kind of one-legged dog in a horse race. That's CUBS territory! The reason the Cubs are so popular is because they've always been losers.

Now the Sox are turning into that? No thanks. Granted, they haven't won a World Series in blah blah, and I'll always follow the Sox regardless of how bad they play, but making us out to be the poor White Sox and their unfortunate media bias in the third largest market and their non-recognizable roster and their tight-pocketed owner is not something I support. I don't ever want people to feel sorry for our team; no matter how much of a marketing device it's turned out to be up North.

We're a real damn baseball team and should make no attempts at dressing up our failures.

I feel like beating my chest and carving the Sox logo into my forearm, Slayer-style, after that rant.

LongLiveFisk
06-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Only 90% LLF? Boy, you suffer fools gladly... :D:

Well, stay tuned...I may "up" that percentage yet! :)

BigEdWalsh
06-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by fenway

NOTE: It should be noted that the sample was limited to the United States. It is therefore no surprise that the two Canadian teams place last on this list in surveys where no Canadian residents are surveyed.

Awesome.I'm glad someone found the entire poll. Way to go, Fenway!
I think this is hilarious. Naturally, we're ahead of the two Canadian teams. So we really only edged out the frickin' Devil Rays! :gulp:
We're even behind the Brewers! Amazing.
It all has to do with image. And nationally speaking the White Sox image must bore the hell outta people. Let's face it we're not cuddly and loveable. Aw shucks.

minastirith67
06-03-2004, 04:28 PM

As an outsider, I think the White Sox biggest problem is they have no natural rival except the interleague games with the Cubs. So the braintrust in Bristol, Conn (ESPN) almost never show the White Sox. Fox dumped the White Sox in a heartbeat when they had the chance to show Red Sox/Yankees in prime time. But in the end, only winning and making a serious run at the World Series will change things.

I think PHG has mentioned this before, but any natural rivals we had have been displaced by the management over the years due to changing divisional structures. I don't know the specific history of it but any rivals we might have had have gone by the wayside. Today Sox fans tend to make up for it by pinning the Twins as a rival, but we all know that Minnesota is no truly worthy rival.

BigEdWalsh
06-03-2004, 04:35 PM
I was just thinking. I wonder how the Sox would fare on a teams you love to hate poll? We'd probably finish low on that too if you'd take out the Cub fans vote. I guess we're just kinda non-existent in most peoples minds.
Am I wrong? Are there people who hate the Sox? :?:

Lip Man 1
06-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Fenway:

Unlike the Bulls per the agreement with the NBA and Superstation WGN, when they show the Sox or Cubs it is not blacked out anywhere.

Some Bulls games are blacked out via cable or satellite when they are on WGN, outside of the Chicago area, because the NBA forced an agreement with WGN on this limiting the number of 'superstation' Bulls games.

MLB has no such stipulation with superstation WGN.

Lip

fuzzy_patters
06-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Awesome.I'm glad someone found the entire poll. Way to go, Fenway!
I think this is hilarious. Naturally, we're ahead of the two Canadian teams. So we really only edged out the frickin' Devil Rays! :gulp:
We're even behind the Brewers! Amazing.
It all has to do with image. And nationally speaking the White Sox image must bore the hell outta people. Let's face it we're not cuddly and loveable. Aw shucks.

The funny thing is that we are only two spots behind the Angels, and they have sold out every home game for the past week and a half. Gee, no one cares about the Angels.

This poll is bogus.

Uncle_Patrick
06-03-2004, 05:12 PM
I was just thinking. I wonder how the Sox would fare on a teams you love to hate poll? We'd probably finish low on that too if you'd take out the Cub fans vote. I guess we're just kinda non-existent in most peoples minds.
Am I wrong? Are there people who hate the Sox? :?:

There are people who hate the Sox. Many Cubs fans. Case in point, just about 2 hours ago, I was introduced to a new area at work, when it was mentioned that I was a White Sox fan, there were boos from several people (all women, interestingly).

jlh0023
06-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Were any of us asked the question.
Even if we were, I couldn't disagree

Baby Fisk
06-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
Well, stay tuned...I may "up" that percentage yet! :)
heh heh...I used to have a sign in my office that said NO TOOLS. Naturally, some of the tools in the office had no idea what it meant, and the other tools figured it wasn't targetted at them. Tools are a natural resource for mockery. So they are good for something after all! :cool:

Baby Fisk
06-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
The funny thing is that we are only two spots behind the Angels, and they have sold out every home game for the past week and a half. Gee, no one cares about the Angels.

This poll is bogus.
Good point Fuzzy P. This poll sucks!

GoSox2K3
06-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters

This poll is bogus.

Exactly! The Angels, like the White Sox, share a market with a more dominant team - the Dodgers, so they have a similar disadvantage as the Sox in this poll. This poll is totally misleading with regards to the Angels level of success.

Actually, the Angels are an example to me of what the Sox could become if they ever stopped shooting themselves in the foot in terms of public image, ditched the small-market mentality (which won't happen until Uncle Jerry sells the team) and if they put a championship team together.

Navaro's Talent
06-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Polls really don't do much for me. If every single baseball fan was asked this question (I mean REAL baseball fans, not people who jump on the bandwagon) then I would pay attention. I know for a fact that not all real baseball fans were asked because it doesn't seem like any of us were asked. I know I wasn't. There's no need to lose sleep over things like this.

We have a lot of cool players on the Sox who rarely ever get attention. When they do get attention, someone drops the ball. Magglio, for instance, was dubbed "The second best rightfielder in all of baseball" by Baseball Tonight earlier in the season. Vlad Guerrero was number one, by the way. Well, how often does Baseball Tonight talk about him now? Not too often, although they will if he goes on the DL. If you look at the All-Star Game voting, though, Maggs is in 8th place (unless things have changed since I last checked). Then there are guys like Konerko and Garland who were both included in Chicago's most eligible bachelors list in some magazine in different years and JR failed to capitalize on it.

bennyw41
06-03-2004, 05:51 PM
CAN A MOD MOVE THIS TO THE PARKING LOT.

:threadsucks

batmanZoSo
06-03-2004, 06:03 PM

I saw that too and my friend started gloating, but I reminded him of the only standings that count.

I don't see how any of these teams can possibly have more fans than we do:

Blue Jays
Devil Rays
Expos
Brewers
Twins
Royals
Padres
Pirates
Marlins
A's

The whole thing's stupid anyway. It's all based on recent success. They obviously polled people who would give you a different answer every year. It means nothing. None of those teams above have more devoted fans than the sox. Take this poll in like 95 and the Braves would be number one with the cubs around 10th, still ever popular because of GN and the whole luvable idiot thing.

GoSox2K3
06-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by the_valenstache
Ironically, the same guy was talking about how much he hates the Yankees and the Lakers - talk about bandwagon backlash.

I think the point he was trying to make was that some people he knew became Sox fans just because it was "different." These are the same people that claim to shrug off mainstream trends in favor of something "quirky." I agree; I don't necessarily want people rooting for the Sox like they're some kind of one-legged dog in a horse race. That's CUBS territory! The reason the Cubs are so popular is because they've always been losers.

I feel like beating my chest and carving the Sox logo into my forearm, Slayer-style, after that rant.

It still sounds like he's taking some of the lame reasons why people are Cub fans and projecting them onto the Sox - which team built it's fan base on the "lovable loser" image again?. Anyway, that pales in comparison to the lame reasons I have heard from many people about why they are Cub fans: I just want to see Sammy hit a HR, I like the Cubs and hate the Sox because the Cubs had Harry Caray, the Sox play in a "dangerous" neighborhood, etc.

I actually am thankful that Chicago has the White Sox as another choice besides the Cubs. Imagine if it didn't, we'd all be totally hooked on Cubby crack, walking around with Sosa jerseys, saying "God is a Cubs fan", using the urinal troughs and getting all goose-bumpy over the old-timey feel of it, and weeping at the thought of last year's playoffs....uggghhh... can't go on....breaking into cold sweat....just to terrible to imagine!

SoxEd
06-03-2004, 07:44 PM

Rank Rank Rank
1999 2003 2004

New York Yankees 2 1 1
Chicago Cubs 3 7 2
Atlanta Braves 1 2 3
Boston Red Sox 8 6 4
Detroit Tigers 10 15 5
Philadelphia Phillies 16 12 6
San Francisco Giants 26 9 7
Baltimore Orioles 9 =18 8
Los Angeles Dodgers 7 8 =9
Pittsburgh Pirates 18 =18 =9
Houston Astros 22 =20 =9
Cleveland Indians 5 4 =9
St. Louis Cardinals 4 14 13
New York Mets 12 3 14
Seattle Mariners 6 11 =15
Texas Rangers 15 13 =15
Minnesota Twins 11 5 =17
Arizona Diamondbacks NA =16 =17
Kansas City Royals 24 =25 =19
Cincinnati Reds 13 10 =19
Florida Marlins 25 =25 21
Oakland Athletics 19 =20 22
Milwaukee Brewers 21 23 23
Colorado Rockies 14 24 24

To quote Millwall FC:

No-one likes us, we don't care!

If I were a Spin Doctor, I would say we clearly have the most Exclusive Fan Base in the US.

Of course, If we Win it All, they (fans) will come.

DSpivack
06-03-2004, 07:48 PM
The Tigers are #5???!?!?!?!

Laughing my buttocks off now.

MRKARNO
06-03-2004, 07:51 PM
The fact that the Tigers are so high and the Angels so low completely discredits the poll in my opinion. They clearly did not have a large enough sample size.

Fenway
06-03-2004, 08:39 PM
The Mets really do not carry well outside of New York City, their base has always been Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island and Long Island ( and parts of New Jersey ) The Yankees own upstate, and a good chunk of Connecticut.

Years ago that is what did the Boston Braves in. The Braves were the team of the inner city, the Red Sox the burbs and beyond.

It is going to be very interesting to see what Selig does with the poor Expos. ( it is tragic how he raped that team ) Montreal writers argue that Selig has had in in for Montreal ever since they were picked in the 1969 expansion instead of Milwaukee.

BTW correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall the Red Sox playing the White Sox a few times in Milwaukee in the late 60's. Wasn't there some thought that the White Sox would themselves move to Milwaukee?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-03-2004, 09:16 PM
BTW correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall the Red Sox playing the White Sox a few times in Milwaukee in the late 60's. Wasn't there some thought that the White Sox would themselves move to Milwaukee?

Yes. The Sox played a single "home" game against every A.L. opponent in Milwaukee's County Stadium for both the 1968 and 1969 season. Selig was one of the major investors trying to lure an MLB franchise and Art Allyn was just dumb enough to bite. He is also the genius who moved the Sox off WGN-TV in favor of a UHF channel hardly anyone could receive on their old VHF-only television sets. The next 15 years of Sox broadcasts were viewed by diehards only through a snowy screen, too. What a dope...

Speculation was rampant that the Sox were leaving town and it didn't end until 1969 when Art sold the team to his brother, John who quickly did away with the Milwaukee "home" games. Selig didn't get an expansion team (those went to San Diego and Montreal) so he bought the Pilots and moved them from Seattle to start the 1970 season. 28 years later he moved the Brewers to the National League and fulfilled a lifetime's worth of wet dreams over the Braves returning to Milwaukee.

If Turner's team ever leaves Atlanta, watch Selig try to grab the Braves name and 50's-vintage uniform style, too. There is no baseball tradition he won't plow over just to relive his own childhood.

Frankfan4life
06-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Here's another way to look at the Sox situation: Despite sharing the same market with a team that is super rich, located in a neighborhood full of bars and yuppies, run by an evil media conglomerate, AND has managed to brainwash vast numbers of people into supporting them and their ballpark, the Sox still draw 2 million out of 5 million fans that go through the turnstyles at a major league park in Chicago - about 40%.

Also, next time you go out somewhere in town, look around and you're bound to see a number of Sox hats, shirts, bumper stickers, etc. I see Sox supporters every day as I walk downtown to work. I must be hallucinating these people, because I have been told over and over again that EVERYONE in Chicago loves the Cubs!

Now, I'm not denying that a majority of people in Chicago are rooting for the dark side of the force (the Cubs), but don't believe all this crap about how EVERYBODY in Chicago is a Cubs fan and NOBODY follows the Sox. It's really blown out of proportion by the majority Cub lovers and the Cub-lovin' media.
I see the same thing. In fact, the majority of people in my office are Sox fans. I see Sox gear whenever I go out too. If the media keeps saying there are not many Sox fans even Sox fans will start to believe it.

MikeW
06-03-2004, 11:33 PM
All we have to do is win a World Series and that poll would change dramatically. Winning cures everything from attendence problems, to those phony baseball fans to the North and the Chicago media.