PDA

View Full Version : Prospect (& non-prospect) watch

A. Cavatica
06-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Reed: 2-for-4 (2 doubles, walk, strikeout, 3 runs scored)
Nelson: 2-for-4 (2 doubles, run, RBI)
Burke: 0-for-4
Diaz: W, 8-0 (went 6 2/3, 5 hits, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts, 3 ER)

Reed is my first choice to replace Ordonez.
Nelson is my second (since Borchard's hurt).
Burke would be...oh, I don't know...about thirteenth.

batmanZoSo
06-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Reed: 2-for-4 (2 doubles, walk, strikeout, 3 runs scored)
Nelson: 2-for-4 (2 doubles, run, RBI)
Burke: 0-for-4
Diaz: W, 8-0 (went 6 2/3, 5 hits, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts, 3 ER)

Reed is my first choice to replace Ordonez.
Nelson is my second (since Borchard's hurt).
Burke would be...oh, I don't know...about thirteenth.

This is a perfect window of opportunity to give Reed a shot. I mean, what if he's ready, I mean right now? You never know.

Diaz is 8-0? What's the deal man. He comes up to the majors and is just terrible, but just brutalizes AAA. How come all the A's prospects come up and pitch fine right away, i.e. Hard-on. We're due for a little luck in that department. That's why any idiot knows we should bring up Reed or Borchard right now.

beckett21
06-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
This is a perfect window of opportunity to give Reed a shot. I mean, what if he's ready, I mean right now? You never know.

Diaz is 8-0? What's the deal man. He comes up to the majors and is just terrible, but just brutalizes AAA. How come all the A's prospects come up and pitch fine right away, i.e. Hard-on. We're due for a little luck in that department. That's why any idiot knows we should bring up Reed or Borchard right now.

Diaz didn't exactly get much of a shot, although that is obviously up to debate.

I'd love to see Reed in there as well, but apparently Ozzie is not ready to play him every day. Too bad.

MRKARNO
06-02-2004, 11:34 PM
That's why any idiot knows we should bring up Reed or Borchard right now.

Reed's been slumping and Borchard's been hurt himself and out a few games in a row so it's probably going to take a few games for him to get back in the groove (or he might not at all).

I do think though that it still might be a good idea to get a glimpse of a Maggs-less White Sox with Borchard or Reed in right to see how integral or irrelevant Maggs is to this team. I don't think he's that important and I feel the money would be better spent elsewhere so while there is a legit reason to keep Reed or Borchard down, I want to see one of them up.

A. Cavatica
06-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Reed's been slumping? Yeah, I suppose a .373 OBP is a slump for him. Still, he's better than any lefthanded hitter we have.

A. Cavatica
06-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Diaz is 8-0? What's the deal man. He comes up to the majors and is just terrible, but just brutalizes AAA.

Well, he missed his regular start and took a turn in relief to get on track for his major league debut. Then he got hit in his debut and came back on three days rest and got hit again.

I would hardly call that a fair shot.

CWSGuy406
06-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Diaz didn't exactly get much of a shot, although that is obviously up to debate.

I'd love to see Reed in there as well, but apparently Ozzie is not ready to play him every day. Too bad.

Yeah, IMO Diaz wasn't given the best of opportunities to succeed. Pitched against a very hot lineup in the Orioles, then pitched on a rainy-delayed-3-days-rested game against a pretty hot Cleveland lineup. Plus in his first start he wasn't on normal rest either IIRC.

Look - I do not want to see Jamie Burke. I don't care if he will provide us with depth at the catching spot, we have a more glaring hole at right field. Give Jeremy Reed his well-earned shot. If Borchard's back isn't a problem, give Borchard a shot. Either, IMO, are better than a Rowand/Gload/Perez platoon.

Wow - sorry this OT, but Vlad Guerrero has 9 RBIs. He is so damn good...

DrCrawdad
06-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Well, he missed his regular start and took a turn in relief to get on track for his major league debut. Then he got hit in his debut and came back on three days rest and got hit again.

I would hardly call that a fair shot.

Exactly!

OurBitchinMinny
06-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Diaz deserved more of shot. Id go to him again rather than cotts or adkins the way those two pitched in oakland. Too bad rauch went AWOL or he would have been given another shot, although he would have sucked than too. Have we had a prospect stick since buerhle on the staff? You hear about all these great prospects then they come up here and suck.

Randar68
06-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Diaz deserved more of shot. Id go to him again rather than cotts or adkins the way those two pitched in oakland. Too bad rauch went AWOL or he would have been given another shot, although he would have sucked than too. Have we had a prospect stick since buerhle on the staff? You hear about all these great prospects then they come up here and suck.

You hear about them because people like myself or others in the media:

1) like to follow them
2) Figure fans should be informed about them
3) Enjoy discussing strengths and weaknesses of them.

Somehow, that get's turned into "ALL THIS HYPE."

If you don't enjoy being disappointed, don't read the prospect-based posts, because many won't amount to much.

On a side note, can Aaron Rowand be worse in the field?

Risk
06-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

On a side note, can Aaron Rowand be worse in the field? [/B]

Only when he's batting and there are men on base.

Risk

Rex Hudler
06-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Yeah, IMO Diaz wasn't given the best of opportunities to succeed. Pitched against a very hot lineup in the Orioles, then pitched on a rainy-delayed-3-days-rested game against a pretty hot Cleveland lineup. Plus in his first start he wasn't on normal rest either IIRC.

Look - I do not want to see Jamie Burke. I don't care if he will provide us with depth at the catching spot, we have a more glaring hole at right field. Give Jeremy Reed his well-earned shot. If Borchard's back isn't a problem, give Borchard a shot. Either, IMO, are better than a Rowand/Gload/Perez platoon.

Wow - sorry this OT, but Vlad Guerrero has 9 RBIs. He is so damn good...

To clarify, Diaz pitched a regular start on May 5th (7.1 IP). He then pitched two-thirds of an inning on May 9th. Then started on May 13th. So rather than his regulr turn, they threw him .2 innings. I cannot understand why that would be a good idea.

rahulsekhar
06-03-2004, 10:24 AM

FWIW, Harden's first start this year: 4IP, 11H, 1BB, 6ER, 6K. Not exactly dominance. As noted, Diaz didn't exactly get a chance to settle down in the bigs. IMO his quick up'n'down move was not good for him long term. It's highly likely that it'll give him MORE nerves next time around (althoughhis return to dominance in AAA may mean that he's shaken it off).

IMO - He keeps it up and he deserves another try.

(Ducks in anticipation of a barrage of disagreement)

SoxxoS
06-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
FWIW, Harden's first start this year: 4IP, 11H, 1BB, 6ER, 6K. Not exactly dominance. As noted, Diaz didn't exactly get a chance to settle down in the bigs. IMO his quick up'n'down move was not good for him long term. It's highly likely that it'll give him MORE nerves next time around (althoughhis return to dominance in AAA may mean that he's shaken it off).

IMO - He keeps it up and he deserves another try.

(Ducks in anticipation of a barrage of disagreement)

I just disagree about comparing him to Harden. Harden was the A's top prospect and one of the best in baseball. There is no comparison between him and Diaz "stuff" wise.

That being said, I do agree that Diaz deserves another shot. At least he was cruising in the Baltimore game until the 5th inning. (I guess you can look at that and say they hit him hard b/c it was two time through the batting order).

We are low on options until KW pulls the trigger, and I think Diaz is our best option.

Fungo
06-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
On a side note, can Aaron Rowand be worse in the field?

That's AAAron, with 3 A's

soxtalker
06-03-2004, 10:37 AM
I don't think that it's a question of "fairness" of the shot that Diaz got. There are a number of reasons that could explain his not doing well. If nothing else, he was put into a fairly high pressure situation, though probably not as tough as the one Cotts faced last year. So, what is the best way to bring him up? Should we wait until next year or until we are out of it? Should it be in a relief role like Cotts?

Rex Hudler
06-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I don't think that it's a question of "fairness" of the shot that Diaz got. There are a number of reasons that could explain his not doing well. If nothing else, he was put into a fairly high pressure situation, though probably not as tough as the one Cotts faced last year. So, what is the best way to bring him up? Should we wait until next year or until we are out of it? Should it be in a relief role like Cotts?

Give him the ball within as close to his regular rotation as possible and tell him to not worry about getting sent back down, to just go pitch. And then have the patience to sit through a couple of bad outings if they do indeed happen. If he is your best opportunity, then cut the string connected to Charlotte and let him have 3-4 starts.

mcfish
06-03-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm glad this has finally been said here on WSI. Diaz was not nearly as bad as the barrage of posts declaring him a bust said he was. In his first start, he threw 4 good innings, blew up a little and gave up his lead, but the Sox still won. Keep in mind that that was the ONLY White Sox winner this year started by the #5 slot. And then he had to go on short rest in a rain delayed game.

He wasn't perfect, but I thought he deserved a couple more shots at starting a game. He certainly was better than anyone else who has occupied the role this year.