PDA

View Full Version : * Official * post Oakland "Sky is Not Falling" Thread

ode to veeck
06-02-2004, 10:33 PM
We already have 5-10 new "sky is falling" "Krotch sucks", "what a terrible day", "totally depressed" threads that have started since the end of the A's lucky win today.

This thread is for all the positive thoughts WSIers have at the moment. Think of Donald Sutherland as the manic hippie tank driver "Oddball" in "Kelly's Heroes": "Hey we don't need no more of that negative energy here, man!"

Some random positive vibes to start it off:

Flubbies getting drummed by Strohs again, headed to like 5th place in spite of their corked bats, steroid enhanced HOFers, live arms, and flocks of Cubune traveling entourage

Crede was 4/5 today, hitting clutch hits in 8th and 10th innings that coulda made a difference.

Twinkies are losing at home to Tampa tonight, a team that is 4-18 on the road

Sox stud starters (the first four) are continuing to pitch well, including the surprisingly effective Show and continuously improving Garland

No matter what happened today, the Sox will be in first place when you go to bed tonight, even if the Devil Rays choke in da Twinkie Dome tonight.

Burly-mon gets well deserved recognition as MLB AL pither of the month for May.

Sox laid down three successful sac bunts today in one game, who'da thunk it a year ago!?!

In spite of the mini sweep by the A's yesterday and today, the Sox are like 10-4-3 in series W-L-split record so far this year, including 4-2-2 in road series

The crime rate and drunkeness is continuing to rise in Wrigleyville, and even the Cubune had a story on all the shenanigans

The Sox pen is actually fairly deep and effective so far this year, close calls and debates about the closer role notwithstanding.

Even with Maggs out, the Cubs are hurting much worse with Prior and Woods in major rehabs

Willie Harris and Juan Uribe are both hitting much, much better than anyone expected before the start of the season. How many of you were HOK ("Hecklers of Kenny") at Soxfest?

Borchard and Reed are both looking pretty good of late in the farm system.

If these things and subsequent posts in this *positive only* thread can't cheer you up and in spite of the fact that the Sox continue to be in 1st place, we may need to get real some mood stabilizers for folks around here, as the drug cocktail you're currently taking ain't working ...

1951Campbell
06-02-2004, 10:34 PM
This thread is far too rational to generate more than 20 replies.

doublem23
06-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Eh, if the Sox win the first two games in Seattle everyone will be back to Earth.

Chill out, people. We've stolen numerous wins from the jaws of defeat. It will all be good. :cool:

ChiSox7
06-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Eh, if the Sox win the first two games in Seattle everyone will be back to Earth.

Chill out, people. We've stolen numerous wins from the jaws of defeat. It will all be good. :cool:

Exactly. The thing about this team is they have gone and won big games when they needed to after losing a couple of games. The series in Seattle is so important. Gotta take 2 out of 3 to keep doing that.

MRKARNO
06-02-2004, 10:50 PM
You win some and you lose some. We won games we shouldnt have and now we're losing some we should, but on the year we've still won more games we shoudlntve that lost games we should have won.

The fact is that we faced a very good pitching staff and we didnt do everything right. In the grand scheme of things this game is probably minimal. It's my theory that a one game losing streak is nothing to even pay attention to, a two game losing streak you need to be concerned about but not too much and a three game losing streak is where you really have to worry. If we drop that first one in Seattle we can worry, but I dont think we will as there's a good chance we'll miss Garcia due to injury and Seattle plain old sucks this year and has the worst home record in the AL i believe.

ode to veeck
06-02-2004, 10:51 PM
This thread is far too rational to generate more than 20 replies.

That and the fact that it contains absolutely no vaporous trade rumors probably doom it to trivial non-interest oblivion in the Clubhouse

TomParrish79
06-02-2004, 10:55 PM
I for one got extremely down after the loss today. I dont normally do that, but anyway this series is over.

1951Campbell
06-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by TomParrish79
I for one got extremely down after the loss today. I dont normally do that, but anyway this series is over.

I got pissed too, but at the end of the day, there's still only four teams in the majors with a better record than the Sox. How often has that been the case in the last three years? (Here come the naysayers with the answer.)

ChiSox7
06-02-2004, 11:00 PM
I'm positive about our pitching because I think it was really, really good. One thing that concerns me though is the offense. We were an incredible 1-20 with RISP.

It is extremely hard to win ballgames like that. Our guys have to become more clutch, especially with Maggs out.

elrod
06-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Because of Ozzie and a Twinkie defeat I don't fret.

ode to veeck
06-02-2004, 11:03 PM
... and the Devil Rays hold off the Twinks 4-2 in Minnesota, Sox move to 1.5 games ahead in the AL Central

idseer
06-02-2004, 11:05 PM
i'm guilty of some of the sourness generated by todays game too.

however, in keeping with the original posters theme, there is a lot of season to go and i will hope ozzie will make the required adjustments as we continue.

the magglio news may be hard to overcome but this is NOT a one man team and i still feel the sox will take this division.

ChiSox7
06-02-2004, 11:14 PM
I think it is critical to stay right around tied with the Twins until the allstar break. At that point, everybodies healthy players would be ready to come back and the Twins would be facing a much more difficult second half. If we fall way behind before the break, however, it might be tough to come all the way back. The next month and a half is huge.

rahulsekhar
06-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
That and the fact that it contains absolutely no vaporous trade rumors probably doom it to trivial non-interest oblivion in the Clubhouse

Would this be the appropriate time to let everyone know that a friend of my cousin's friend's girfriend's father's podiatrist says he has it direct fourthhand that the Sox are about to trade Koch+Nanita for Eric Gagne?

voodoochile
06-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks, Ode. You had a good day posting all around. Poster of the day, IMO.

Well done. I hate coming to the board after big emotional losses like today. I scan the threads and then normally make an administartive reply or two and mark the forums read.

Your thread makes me smile. Indeed, the Twinkies continue to struggle and that isn't all bad. 2 1-run losses in Oakland sucks, but the Sox are still 1.5 up and 2 up in the loss column.

No need to panic. Our schedule gets easier as the season goes along and the team is still in first.

GO SOX! :)

Viva Magglio
06-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Considering how bad we've been in Oakland the past few seasons, these two losses may actually have been two of our better games there!

SOXPHILE
06-02-2004, 11:21 PM
I agree. The sky is not falling. The Sox are obviously a better team with Mags in the lineup than without him. However, they did win some games without him, these last two against Oakland not withstanding. Their bats have to pick it up though. We'll see how well they adjust over the next few weeks. Thomas, Lee & Konkerko are going to have to shoulder some more of the load. Their pitching continues to surprise everyone. If that keeps up, and their offense can step it up in Mags' absence, they should be O.K. Keep our fingers crossed, and hope this is just a bump in the road that all teams go through. :army

inta
06-03-2004, 01:19 AM
this is not Koch's loss... as much as the WSI fanclub sox fans will have you believe.

the sky is not falling.
we were due for a losing series.... better to have it against a good team than a poor team.

Frankfan4life
06-03-2004, 01:50 AM
I'm trying to be positive after the two tough losses to Oakland and the loss of Maggs for a long while. The Twins losing to the D-Rays helped a lot and also reading some of the funny posts here (please check out the "Official Magglio Ordonez Watch" thread). Even if the Sox win 100 games this year, which would be a great accomplishment, they're still going to lose 40 more games. Each loss is going to be hard to take but the Sox are a good team and they will win the AL Central this year. GO SOX!!!

Dan H
06-03-2004, 10:24 AM
I think this is far from the end of the world, but there is room for concern. Show me one inning where Koch gets three up, three, down and doesn't fall behind almost every hitter, and I will feel better. I didn't see him pitch in the loss, but I am still waiting to see him come in and look sharp. Hasn't happened yet.

kittle42
06-03-2004, 11:07 AM
I must say, I have never been less concerned with two straight losses.

Dadawg_77
06-03-2004, 11:29 AM
There are reasons to be concern, the offense is flukish but the pitching was fine, maybe some problems in the pen. The Sox have never played in Oakland and we played well this weekend. Ozzie is learning on the job and I rather have him make mistakes now then later.

oheeoh...magglio
06-03-2004, 11:36 AM
I have a rule of thumb that I wish more people would follow:

As long as the White Sox are sitting by themselves in first place, there is no reason to panic.

Is there reason to be concerned? Well yes, but it's not time to panic. Not having Maggs will hurt, but at the same time we have plenty of other guys that can step up and hit the ball.

As for the closer situation, well I hope it's only a matter of time until Shingo gets the job.

Oh, and let me point out here, this loss shouldn't be pinned just on Koch. Sure, he blew the lead, but at the same time he had bad luck. He gave up 2 broken bat hits, it's not like the A's just killed him. Oh, and remember, we left the bases loaded in the 8th AND 9th innings, if the bats get the job done there, Koch never even has to come in the game.

But don't panic everybody, we have a day off today and then it's off to the Emerald City, where hopefully the Sox will get it back on track.

Clarkdog
06-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
I must say, I have never been less concerned with two straight losses.

I agree. Game one in Oakland really showed the resiliency of the team. They did not give up. Last season, they would have laid down after the Dye home run.

Game two was a well played well pitched game.

I think both illustrate Coop's philosophy of complete concentration and focus on executing every pitch - because one or two pitches can cost you a ball game. In game one, did anyone notice how Cotts got a little rattled when Byrnes sprinted out of the dugout to pinch run in the middle of Kielty's at bat? Cotts looked like he was ready to throw and Byrnes running out took him out of rhythm. I thought it was bit bush-league. Anyway, the next pitch Cotts threw was the home run.

In game two, Koch's wild pitch allowed the tying run into scoring position. No wild pitch and the game ends possibly on a double play from Crosby's grounder.

Iwritecode
06-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
Considering how bad we've been in Oakland the past few seasons, these two losses may actually have been two of our better games there!

I argee. I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the fact that they were in this game all the way til the end.

I feel a little bit better about the fact that it was 1-run loss in the 10th inning rather than a 246 - 1 thumping like all the west coast games seemed to be last year.

mdep524
06-03-2004, 01:14 PM
You know, you're right Ode, the sjy is not falling. And alot fo Sox fans blow things way out of proportion, so for the fans on a fans message board this is a good thread to have...

BUT...

Teams that just stand idly by and say "its ok, the sky isn't falling" while a problem creeps up are teams that don't win the World Series. Did the Yankees say "its ok, the sky isn't falling" when they lost two of their starters this off season? No, they got of their behinds and made something happen, getting Brown and Vazquez.

My point is, even thoughit is definitely true that the sky is not falling, I hope the Sox organization does not take as the same as "everything's alright, we don't need to make changes" with regard to issues like Billy Koch and an unbalanced offense that falls asleep every so often. We know they're working hard on the 5th starter situation, that's a good sign.

South Side
06-03-2004, 02:40 PM
My point is, even thoughit is definitely true that the sky is not falling, I hope the Sox organization does not take as the same as "everything's alright, we don't need to make changes" with regard to issues like Billy Koch and an unbalanced offense that falls asleep every so often. We know they're working hard on the 5th starter situation, that's a good sign. [/B][/QUOTE]

But this thread isn't to comfort the White Sox organization, it's to comfort the fans that take the losses hard. We don't know how the Sox handled the loss yesterday and by saying that we (the fans) shouldn't take it so seriously and it's only 2 games has no effect on the team... I don't think they come here to read the boards after a tough loss.

DaveIsHere
06-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
You know, you're right Ode, the sjy is not falling..

I have never seen a sjy fall before :)

harwar
06-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by inta
this is not Koch's loss...

It seems to me that it was mostly bad luck.A broken bat and a bloop doulble.
Even the wild pitch could have been handled if Sandy had not been so tired(hes' no spring chicken anymore).

mdep524
06-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
I have never seen a sjy fall before :)

I'm probably the only 22-year-old in the country who is still mostly a hunt and peck typer!!! :) Sad, especially for a journalism major...