PDA

View Full Version : Worst Day Ever

chisox1388
06-02-2004, 08:55 PM
For a White Sox fan, this has to be on of the worst days I can remember. First, we waste a beautifully pitched game by Buehrle, and are in line to get a win against one of the best pitchers in baseball in Mark Mulder, and we blow he lead in the ninth and lose it in the tenth. Then, we find out our best player since the hay day of Frank Thomas, and a guy who has never been on the DL, will be out at least another month. The only redemption is the cubs loss and the twins losing. But, theres always tomorrow.

munchman33
06-02-2004, 10:46 PM
It'll be alright. :D:

:cleo

"I'm predicting a winning west coast trip"

batmanZoSo
06-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by chisox1388
But, theres always tomorrow.

Not if the world blows up.

doublem23
06-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Doesn't compare to my worst day as a Sox fan... July 31, 1997.

MRKARNO
06-02-2004, 11:06 PM
The day when the Cubs won game four of the NLCS to take a 3-1 lead was a lot worse than this. I am among those that dont see Maggs being an integral part of this team so it does hurt me so badly in that regard to see him out. Obviously it's going to affect our offense negatively, but we're still going to be fine.

The Reds won, The Astros won, the Cardinals won and the Cubs lost sending them 4.5 back. The Twins lost too. I dont see how this day is really all that bad.

doublem23
06-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Sox lost, that automatically makes it a bad day.

DSpivack
06-02-2004, 11:14 PM
August 13, 1994.

beckett21
06-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

What happened that day? Did the Sox lose and the Cubs win or something?

:angry:

vegyrex
06-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Since the Twins lost also it wasn't all bad.

My worst day ever as a Sox fan, without a doubt, was August 12, 1994. :angry:

The Sox have yet to recover from that debacle.

vegyrex
06-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
What happened that day? Did the Sox lose and the Cubs win or something?

:angry:

White Flag trade :(:

RKMeibalane
06-02-2004, 11:22 PM

:reinsy

"That day was ALL YOUR FAULT!"

DSpivack
06-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex

I was only off by one day.

beckett21
06-02-2004, 11:27 PM
White Flag trade :(:

Yeah I know, just trying to be a wiseguy. :(:

CHISOXFAN13
06-02-2004, 11:31 PM
The Twins have lost two games to the worst road team in the game and could lose the third tomorrow. At worse, we are two games up in the loss column when we resume play Friday night at Seattle.

Losing Maggs sucks, but this is an opportunity for everyone else to step up and show their worth.

Things could be a lot worse.

inta
06-03-2004, 12:23 AM
OMFG

does anyone have a link to any cubs/yankees/etc message board so i can check if their fans are as much gloomsayers as WSI is?

pudge
06-03-2004, 01:41 AM

Yeah, that day was much worse than White Flag day... I actually didn't mind White Flag day, but I know I'm in the minority there.

doublem23
06-03-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by inta
OMFG

does anyone have a link to any cubs/yankees/etc message board so i can check if their fans are as much gloomsayers as WSI is?

If you find a doomsday Yankee fan tell him to shut the **** up. 39 pennants and 26 World Championships are enough?

StillMissOzzie
06-03-2004, 01:47 AM
My worst is still back from Game 4 of the ALCS back in 1983.

SMO
:whiner:

doublem23
06-03-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Yeah, that day was much worse than White Flag day... I actually didn't mind White Flag day, but I know I'm in the minority there.

The White Flag Trade was the worst of all because that was the organization pulling the rug of hope from under us. The strike sucked ass, but at the time, I still thought the Sox had a strong future. We had the best rotation in the American League and a damn good offense, so even though I knew we lost a golden chance in 1994, I thought after things got resolved we'd go right back to winning.

But the White Flag Deal basically told us, 3 games behind Cleveland and 2 behind the Wild Card leader at the time, IIRC, that there was no hope and that we'd be at square one again. That really hurt.

inta
06-03-2004, 02:19 AM
If you find a doomsday Yankee fan tell him to shut the **** up. 39 pennants and 26 World Championships are enough?

true f'n that.

no doubt we have plenty of reasons to be gloomy around here.
but today's loss is not one of them in my book.

we're gonna lose games... we're definitely going to lose series.
people need to realize that before cutting themselves....

Railsplitter
06-03-2004, 07:48 AM
July 12, 1979.

BigEdWalsh
06-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie

SMO
:whiner:

Wow. I'm with you on that one. The Winning Ugly season was SUCH a high and it all came crashing down that day. Ugh, a very painful memory!

Heck, yesterday was just 1 game, not a whole season. Merely, a little bump. And trust me, I was one posting on here who was really ticked off. It's just that in the whole scheme of things as the season goes it was just one of those tough-to-swallow losses.

ode to veeck
06-03-2004, 08:12 AM

I'm still too traumatized after 20 years and have it blacked out

SSN721
06-03-2004, 08:18 AM
This is crazy, I cant beleive we could even start a thread with this title because of a game in June. The beginning of June no less. I cannot fathom the negativity of a lot of people here. If I would of told you after being tied with Minny after we left the weekend before last, then them playing Tampa Bay and us playing the A's, Angels, and Rangers and us being ahead 1.5 games I think we would have all laughed at them time and if it was true would be ecstatic. We are still winning this division people, my god, we play historically bad here and continuing that trend for 2 games that were basically well played and winnable I am not worried. If we get swept by the M's I will be a little more worried, but I am confident we can take at least 2 games from them if not sweep them. Lets enjoy still maintaining our position in first place and move on. Just one game people, one game we didnt deserve to win after stranding 14.

CubKilla
06-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I dont see how this day is really all that bad.

I must disagree with you. Although not the worst in Sox history, this is clearly one of the worst losses of this season. A few points..... some already been discussed:

Another ND for Buehrle who pitched extremely well.

Up 2-1 going into the bottom of the 9th against a team that we have had problems with the past couple of years in a ballpark where, I think, we've won 1 game in the past three years.

Opportunity wasted to split a short 2-game series on the West Coast..... again..... another area where this team has been extremely bad the past couple of seasons.

As I said before when Botch was getting by on the skin of his teeth, Botch would eventually blow a huge game for the White Sox. Mission accomplished.

wolcott10
06-03-2004, 11:20 AM
October 6, 2000.

MRKARNO
06-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I must disagree with you. Although not the worst in Sox history, this is clearly one of the worst losses of this season. A few points..... some already been discussed:

Another ND for Buehrle who pitched extremely well.

Up 2-1 going into the bottom of the 9th against a team that we have had problems with the past couple of years in a ballpark where, I think, we've won 1 game in the past three years.

Opportunity wasted to split a short 2-game series on the West Coast..... again..... another area where this team has been extremely bad the past couple of seasons.

As I said before when Botch was getting by on the skin of his teeth, Botch would eventually blow a huge game for the White Sox. Mission accomplished.

Well I never meant to say that I thought it wasn't a bad day, I really think Sox fans are overreacting here. We've had a lot of really bad days in our history and any day where we are in first place and dont lose ground to the Twins is good in my books. Was this game a tough loss? Yes it certainly was. But the Cubs are starting to fall out of the picture and every team above them won. This day doesnt even compare to the three games against the Twins, the days early last year when we were constantly losing and below .500, the days the Cubs were winning last year, May and June of two years ago, etc. It might have been a bad game, but it was not a bad day in my books. Just a tough loss followed by an ill-timed off day.

Lip Man 1
06-03-2004, 11:58 AM
October 4, 1964.

The Sox miss the pennant and the trip to the World Series by one game.

They have never been closer since. They needed to win two more games both in 83 and 93 to get to the promised land.

Lip

WinningUgly!
06-03-2004, 12:39 PM
January 29th, 1981.

soxtalker
06-03-2004, 01:00 PM
This goes back quite a few years, so most of you won't remember it. I don't recall the exact date, but it was in September of 1967. We had 5 games to play in the season, starting with a double header against the last-place Kansas City A's in their ball park. The pennant was ours for the taking in a 3 or 4-way race. We lost the double header that night and then continued to lose the remaining games. It goes down in history as the great Boston miracle season, but we were in first place as the KC games began. That's my recollection as the worst day.

Lip Man 1
06-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Winning Ugly:

Hard to argue with that date! As the fate of the franchise for the next twenty plus years was determined!

Sox Talker: I think you mean the week from 'hell.'

9-27-1967 #1 At KC L 2- 5 89-69
Dobson (10-10) Peters (16-10)

9-27-1967 #2 At KC L 0- 4 89-70
Hunter (13-16) Horlen (19-7)

9-29-1967 Vs WAS L 0- 1 89-71
Ortega (10-10) John (10-12)

9-30-1967 Vs WAS L 0- 4 89-72
Bertaina (7-6) Peters (16-11)

10- 1-1967 Vs WAS L 3- 4 89-73
Bosman (3-1) John (10-13)

MikeW
06-03-2004, 10:43 PM
I still have an occasional nightmare about 1967. We were so close I could taste it. All year long we were told that the Sox had no business being where they were. But our dumb braintrust didn't learn from the past that year as they believed that acquiring power hitters was the way to win(Colavito and Boyer)the team changed their style(bunt,steal bases,hit and run,play good defense and pitch)I still say that if we had kept the core that was there before these two arrived then it might have been a different story. And to make matters worse we deal away Agee,Weis and Buford and started a downward spiral the next season when it looked like we weren't going to win a game.(10 losses in a row to start the 1968 season.

Lip Man 1
06-04-2004, 12:13 PM
For what it's worth:

The Sox tried very badly to get "Hawk" Harrelson to sign with them after he was waived because he pissed off Charlie Finley. Then GM Ed Short met with him several times. It came down to the Sox and Boston and "Hawk" chose Boston because as he said the Red Sox had a better chance of getting into the series.

He was right...they did. But one wonders what might have happened if he signed with the Sox instead. He had one game against the Sox in September where he had a mopnster game against them with like four of five RBI's. It was one of that big four game series in Boston.

Typical White Sox always a bridesmaid never a bride.

Lip