PDA

View Full Version : Ordonez

chisoxfan79
06-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Just heard on the Score Maggs will miss four to seven weeks. OUCH!

Blueprint1
06-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Wow this is really really bad news.

SoxBoy14
06-02-2004, 08:26 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:
Just when we got first place!!!

RKMeibalane
06-02-2004, 08:27 PM
:hurt

"Fear not, Sox fans. I will lead you to the promise land."

OEO Magglio
06-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Not good at all. It looks like Burke is going to be called up also. I'd really like to see reed get a shot since borchard is also a little banged up right now.

ChiSox7
06-02-2004, 08:33 PM
It's not a big deal at all. The Twins lost half their starting lineup and they have stayed right there with us. They lost their three hitter, we lost our three hitter. There are no excuses. If we are a good team, the players will pick it up like theirs did.

doublem23
06-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
It's not a big deal at all. The Twins lost half their starting lineup and they have stayed right there with us. They lost their three hitter, we lost our three hitter. There are no excuses. If we are a good team, the players will pick it up like theirs did.

Yeah, but they didn't lose a player like Maggs (mostly because they don't have a player like Maggs)... We'll see how this goes. It does put an end to the Uribe/Harris debate for a while.

HomeFish
06-02-2004, 08:37 PM
This will let us see what to expect next year when we don't have Magglio at all.

Konerkoholic
06-02-2004, 08:37 PM
What the hell? Why do major stintis on the DL always start out so small? Dammit, I miss Maggs. Not only for his bat, but for his work in the field. Rowand botched two singles to right last series, once allowing a man to advance to 2nd. Not good.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2004, 08:41 PM
With Maggs out for an extended period of time, Ross Gload figures to see his playing time continue to increase. I like what I've seen from him so far this season. I think it might be worth it to call Borchard up and see how he fares against big league pitching. He is swinging the bat better than he has in the past two seasons. Maybe this is finally the time he will begin to assert himself with the big league club.

If you ask me, the Sox should use the following lineup with Ordonez out:

CF- Harris
2B- Uribe
DH- Thomas
LF- Lee
SS- Valentin
1B- Konerko
RF- Gload
3B- Crede
C- Olivo

Rowand can be used against lefties, and Sandy figures to get a start whenever Buehrle is pitching. Ozzie has used this lineup a lot recently, and the Sox have been playing good baseball since he started using it. As long as the Sox can keep pace with Minnesota, I'm not too worried about Maggs being out of the lineup.

ChiSox7
06-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Yeah, but they didn't lose a player like Maggs (mostly because they don't have a player like Maggs)... We'll see how this goes. It does put an end to the Uribe/Harris debate for a while.

They lost players more important to their team that Maggs. We have more people that have the talent to do the job. I equate Maggs to Koskie or Jones when they are healthy. THe fact that they lost over half their lineup is much worse than us losing Maggs. Much much worse. Now we'll really see who the better team is.

OEO Magglio
06-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
With Maggs out for an extended period of time, Ross Gload figures to see his playing time continue to increase. I like what I've seen from him so far this season. I think it might be worth it to call Borchard up and see how he fares against big league pitching. He is swinging the bat better than he has in the past two seasons. Maybe this is finally the time he will begin to assert himself with the big league club.

If you ask me, the Sox should use the following lineup with Ordonez out:

CF- Harris
2B- Uribe
DH- Thomas
LF- Lee
SS- Valentin
1B- Konerko
RF- Gload
3B- Crede
C- Olivo

Rowand can be used against lefties, and Sandy figures to get a start whenever Buehrle is pitching. Ozzie has used this lineup a lot recently, and the Sox have been playing good baseball since he started using it. As long as the Sox can keep pace with Minnesota, I'm not too worried about Maggs being out of the lineup.
Gload better be starting instead of aaron, I'm tired of seeing him botch every ball out there in rf and I won't even get into his offense.

MRKARNO
06-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

CF- Harris
2B- Uribe
DH- Thomas
LF- Lee
SS- Valentin
1B- Konerko
RF- Gload
3B- Crede
C- Olivo

If Crede is picking it up I would switch Gload and Crede. Today was a nice step in the right direction for him.

MRKARNO
06-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Gload better be starting instead of aaron, I'm tired of seeing him botch every ball out there in rf and I won't even get into his offense.

Rowand is acceptable to play against Lefties. He has something like an 1.000 OPS against lefties this year.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2004, 08:44 PM
There is at least one good thing that can come out of this: if the Sox continue to play well, nobody can use the excuse that they "had everything so easy" en route to the playoffs.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
If Crede is picking it up I would switch Gload and Crede. Today was a nice step in the right direction for him.

If he is in fact picking it up, it couldn't come at a better time.

Get well soon, Maggs!

Jjav829
06-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Ugh, not good. Especially with some of the offensive performances we've seen without Maggs. It will be interesting to see how KW plays this out. Does he call Borchard up, or look to acquire a temporary RF? In terms of stop gap RFs that could possibly be had via trade, there isn't much. Jose Cruz Jr.? Not really much out there.

Jjav829
06-02-2004, 08:54 PM
They lost players more important to their team that Maggs. We have more people that have the talent to do the job. I equate Maggs to Koskie or Jones when they are healthy. THe fact that they lost over half their lineup is much worse than us losing Maggs. Much much worse. Now we'll really see who the better team is.

Corey Koskie? Ha. Um, no. Jacque Jones? Once again, no. There's no player on the Twins that compares to Maggs

ChiSox7
06-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Corey Koskie? Ha. Um, no. Jacque Jones? Once again, no. There's no player on the Twins that compares to Maggs

They are equally as important to their team, however, and they have come through when needed in the past two and a half years in the 3-hole. Don't believe me? Check Division winners the past two years. They have OVER HALF of their starting lineup on the DL at some point last season. To say that us losing JOse for 15 days and Maggs for however long is worse sounds like somebody making excuses to me. I'm not saying that you are, because you didn't say that.

We can have no excuses.

ChiSox7
06-02-2004, 09:03 PM

Speaking of which. Koskie just homered in a huge situation. They find ways to get it done when they don't have a full deck.

Jjav829
06-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Speaking of which. Koskie just homered in a huge situation. They find ways to get it done when they don't have a full deck.

Good for him. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but neither Koskie nor Jones are close to being the player Maggs is. That said, I do agree that injuries aren't an excuse. They have to find ways to win. Carlos has to step it up and start being the run producer we've all been waiting for. Crede has to start hitting now, not in the 2nd half. Everyone else has to at least keep doing what they are doing, if not improve upon what they are currently doing. And whoever replaces Maggs has to do a serviceable job.

Jerry_Manuel
06-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Good for him. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but neither Koskie nor Jones are close to being the player Maggs is. That said, I do agree that injuries aren't an excuse. They have to find ways to win. Carlos has to step it up and start being the run producer we've all been waiting for. Crede has to start hitting now, not in the 2nd half. Everyone else has to at least keep doing what they are doing, if not improve upon what they are currently doing. And whoever replaces Maggs has to do a serviceable job.

Exactly, if they come together as a team and turn it up a notch, they'll be fine. If they try to jack the ball out of the park, they'll go down in flames. Hopefully Ozzie shows some leadership here and gets them in the right direction.

mike squires
06-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
What the hell? Why do major stintis on the DL always start out so small? Dammit, I miss Maggs. Not only for his bat, but for his work in the field. Rowand botched two singles to right last series, once allowing a man to advance to 2nd. Not good.

Yeah, but you heard DJ, that grass can make the ball do funny things.

ChiSox7
06-02-2004, 09:25 PM

Yah, I think we're on a similar wavelength. Is either Koskie or JOnes as good as Maggs? No. Absolutely not. But they are just as important to their team as maggs is and both have missed lots of time while they kicked our asses the last couple of eyars. The reason they won is that they didn't get down on themselves and make excuses. PLayers picked it up bigtime, and the replacements did more than anyone could expect.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2004, 10:06 PM
I'd be curious to see how this may effect the contract talks from both sides.

Lip

ChiSox7
06-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'd be curious to see how this may effect the contract talks from both sides.

Lip

You would figure that Maggs woudl want to sign as soon as possible now. You never know how long something like this can affect you.

Brian26
06-02-2004, 10:10 PM
So maybe the guy we labeled as troll this afternoon who said he heard on Sporting News Radio that Mags was going to the 60 day DL- maybe he was telling the truth???? :?:

batmanZoSo
06-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Ugh, not good. Especially with some of the offensive performances we've seen without Maggs. It will be interesting to see how KW plays this out. Does he call Borchard up, or look to acquire a temporary RF? In terms of stop gap RFs that could possibly be had via trade, there isn't much. Jose Cruz Jr.? Not really much out there.

JC Jr would be an excellent pickup. He can play center when Maggs comes back. I dont' know what he's doing this year, he was good last year, but regardless he's infinitely better than Rowand.

But I think we should bring up Reed and Borchard, send Dransfeldt back down. Give them both a look, not at the same time, but they both need some at bats if either is gonna contribute next year.

GoSox2K3
06-02-2004, 10:52 PM
I can't wait until all the Chicago media outlets send TV crews and reporters out to Birmingham to cover his rehab games.

jeremyb1
06-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Maggs is out 4-7 weeks and we're calling up Jamie Burke?!?!?!