PDA

View Full Version : Ordonez to DL, burke probably coming up

habibharu
06-02-2004, 04:04 PM
hasnt happened yet, but ozzie says 98% that he will http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040602&content_id=759363&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

poorme
06-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Burke?

habibharu
06-02-2004, 04:05 PM
jamie burke, the catcher

poorme
06-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Yeah. I just figured since an outfielder went out, they would call up an outfielder. Silly me.

steff
06-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Yeah. I just figured since an outfielder went out, they would call up an outfielder. Silly me.

He's also an infielder. Aaron in right, Willie in center. Let the next experiment begin!! :D:

MRKARNO
06-02-2004, 04:38 PM
I believe that Burke can also play the outfield

idseer
06-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by steff
He's also an infielder. Aaron in right, Willie in center. Let the next experiment begin!! :D:

burke is hitting like crede .... only at aaa. :(:

SEALgep
Originally posted by poorme
Yeah. I just figured since an outfielder went out, they would call up an outfielder. Silly me. We already have enough guys to step up in the corner spot, and they probably don't want to use an option on any of the guys who would make the most sense in bringing up (Borchard, Reed).

sas1974
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I believe that Burke can also play the outfield

I do believe you're right, but can he hit?

EDIT: I just checked. He's batting a whopping .220. It better be Borchard making the trip!

SEALgep
06-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by idseer
burke is hitting like crede .... only at aaa. :(: You have more options for pinch hitting, like putting in one of our lefties to hit for Olivo or Alomar, and then having Burke play at the catcher spot. He's here more for what he brings defensively than for his bat. The guy can play third as well.

steff
06-02-2004, 04:42 PM

Yep. But.. he's been here before. Maybe they don't want to disrupt Reed or Joe. heck.. we're playing without Maggs bat now. Anything will be better than nothing.

A. Cavatica
06-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by steff
Maybe they don't want to disrupt Reed or Joe.

I know this is not your opinion, just a guess as to what they might think, but...

...heaven forbid we should call up a right fielder who's hot, to temporarily replace a right fielder who's injured. Wouldn't want to disrupt Reed or Borchard instead of calling them up in a situation where they have nothing to lose & everything to gain. If that's what they think, they're idiots.

Of course, this is the same team that regularly throws its fifth starter candidates under the bus, so maybe they do think that.

gosox41
06-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
hasnt happened yet, but ozzie says 98% that he will http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040602&content_id=759363&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Why bring up Burke and not Borchard or Reed?

Bob

Jerry_Manuel
06-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Look for the Maggs Watch in the Trib tomorrow

joecrede
06-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

Maybe so Guillen will pinch hit for Alomar with the bases loaded late in the game. :smile:

OurBitchinMinny
06-02-2004, 05:55 PM

Id rather stick burke in the outfield than watch that bastard rowand anymore. Send his goateed ass to AAA

johnny_mostil
06-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Because the Sox are outsmarting themselves again.

You knew this was too good to last. PERFECT opportunity to give a kid a short stint with no pressure -- like the Rangers did with Laynce Nix last year -- and they're going to waste it on a scrubeenie. Sheesh.

duke of dorwood
06-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Here's a concept-bring up a real life outfielder who can hit, to replace a real life outfielder that can hit. Harris is still an infielder, in my opinion

lowesox
06-02-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm actually all for the argument of saving options on Borchard and Reed, but surely there's another outfielder down there who can be serviceable. Maybe somebody who could bunt - since nobody on this team can.

duke of dorwood
06-02-2004, 07:43 PM
We gotta get one of them here with the possibility of losing Maggs to free agency looming.

TaylorStSox
06-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Borchard's hurt. Day to day with a bad hamstring. Reed's been hitting like crap for a while. That's probably the reason.

Jjav829
06-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Borchard's hurt. Day to day with a bad hamstring. Reed's been hitting like crap for a while. That's probably the reason.

That would be my guess. Assuming Maggs is out for 4 weeks or more, I think that Burke is only here for a few days to allow Borchard to recover. Once Borchard's ready to go again, I expect he'll get the callup and become the starter in right.

jeremyb1
06-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
That would be my guess. Assuming Maggs is out for 4 weeks or more, I think that Burke is only here for a few days to allow Borchard to recover. Once Borchard's ready to go again, I expect he'll get the callup and become the starter in right.

I certainly hope so. Maybe Dransfelt goes down instead of Burke since he's elligible first. We're in the midst of a playoff race here, we need to call up our best available player which is certainly either Reed or Borchard.

A. Cavatica
06-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Passing over Reed for Burke is incomprehensible. I'm not sure whose decision this was, but clearly someone's in over his head.

Hell, I'd have called up Ryan Hankins before Burke. He's done a little catching, but he's really a 3B, as opposed to Burke who's played some 3B but is really a catcher. Their batting numbers at Charlotte are similar (and bad), but sometimes when you call up an old rookie for what should be his one and only cup of coffee, he surprises you with a good burst.

pearso66
06-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Maybe they are keeping Reed down so he doesnt come up and fail, and then we can't get a Ben Sheets for him. I don't have a problem with bringing up Burke, especially if maggs is only out for another 5-6 days as he woudl be if they put him on the DL

DrCrawdad
06-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Passing over Reed for Burke is incomprehensible. I'm not sure whose decision this was, but clearly someone's in over his head.

Hell, I'd have called up Ryan Hankins before Burke. He's done a little catching, but he's really a 3B, as opposed to Burke who's played some 3B but is really a catcher. Their batting numbers at Charlotte are similar (and bad), but sometimes when you call up an old rookie for what should be his one and only cup of coffee, he surprises you with a good burst.

On the way home from work tonight I heard about Maggs going on the DL. I thought well that sucks, but now I'll get to see Reed or Borchard. Then I arrive home and read that they've called up Burke. What's this obsession with Jamie Burke?

I hope this is just a temporary move until Borchard is ready.

DrCrawdad
06-03-2004, 06:19 PM
I heard George Offman giving a report on North/Buffoon this afternoon. George reported on a phone conversation he had today with Kenny Williams. Apparently the call-up of Jaime Burke is not a foregone conclusion. There is still a strong possibility that Joe Borchard will get the call. I guess that Kenny believes that Borchard has, "turned a corner."