PDA

View Full Version : Would KW trade Maggs?

habibharu
06-02-2004, 01:37 PM
if maggs is not signed by the trade deadline, i believe that KW will trade him. he probably doesnt want to risk not getting anything for him, and will probably take whatever he can get. what do you guys think>

Palehose13
06-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
if maggs is not signed by the trade deadline, i believe that KW will trade him. he probably doesnt want to risk not getting anything for him, and will probably take whatever he can get. what do you guys think>

I agree with you.

Mickster
06-02-2004, 01:39 PM
"Whatever he can get" probably won't be much by the trade deadline. If, in fact, we have no chance in re-signing him, then I'm for offering him arb. and getting the compensatory picks.... At least we can make a run at it with him in the lineup this year.

Tekijawa
06-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
I'm for offering him arb. and getting the compensatory picks.... At least we can make a run at it with him in the lineup this year.

This might actually not be a very bad idea... I mean if we do this what are the Chances that he'd actually be awarded the HIGHEST ARBITRATION ever? Would they actually find that he is worth more than Vlad got last year? We might be able to get him for LESS than he is making this year this way?

skottyj242
06-02-2004, 01:46 PM
I might be wrong here but if you go to arb, you can't make less than you were before, right?

steff
06-02-2004, 01:47 PM
I believe Kenny would trade his soul.

Mickster
06-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
I might be wrong here but if you go to arb, you can't make less than you were before, right?

The purpose of offering arbitration is not to keep mags next year but rather to get the picks of the team who does sign him. See Colon.....

Tekijawa
06-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242

I believe yu can recieve up to a 20% cut... This is why Everett and Alomar were not offered Arb... because the cut wasn't big enough to fit their market value.

the_valenstache
06-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Whether or not it is to be believed, the Trib paraphrased KW as saying that the thought of trading Magglio hasn't crossed his mind. It was said in response to the Maggs to the Mets rumors.

Maybe a DL stint will lower his value enough that he'll have to resign; although, a calf injury is dramatically different than back or achilles problems.

Trading Maggs is an all-or-nothing situation in my eyes. Sure, we've done pretty well without him, but that's such short-term focus. Any combination of guys in our system that we stick in for Maggs will NOT hit .300-30-100+ this year. Uribe, Konerko and Willie will all level out at some point as well, making Maggs' numbers that much more important.

(I realize that everything I've said has been said a hundred times before, but I didn't feel like searching through the other 24 pages of threads and co-signing each individual point.)

SoxOnTop
06-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Unless we go 0 fer June, there is no way that KW trades Maggs. The man will add players before he subtracts the best hitter on the team. The only way I could possibly see him trading Maggs is if he can get Randy Johnson or a reasonable facsimile.

The man showed last year that he is trying to change perceptions on the south side. He wants to show Sox fans that they want to go for it. He knows that if he dumps Maggs that we'll be in the same cycle we've been in since 1997.

Sox start off slow
Sox dump high priced veterans
Sox fans a reaffirmed that managment doesn't care about winning
No one goes to Comisky and no one pays attention to the Sox
JR imposes small payroll on KW in the 3rd largest market in the US
KW has to get "creative" and find another Loaiza for the Sox to be more than just competetive.
Sox fans complain of small payroll
Sox are an afterthought in Chicago

Kenny wants no part of this equation.

Irishsox1
06-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Kenny would only trade maggs if talks broke down to a point of absolute no return and this lack of communication came before the trade deadline. If all of those things happened, then I could see him getting traded. But given that the Sox are contenders for the central, maggs will be on the team until the season is over.

SEALgep
06-02-2004, 03:16 PM
I don't think Maggs will be traded even if negotiations fell apart. KW has made it clear numerous times that he is about the now. Right now he plays for us and can help us win the division and hopefully take us deep in the playoffs. KW would just assume get the picks after he departs if he is going to IMO. At the very least it sends a message to fans that they are not going to give up on signing Maggs, and that they want to win and do it now. That's how I see it. Oh ya, and KW has said he won't trade Maggs, and I'm pretty sure he is aware of the situation as it stands.

Gumshoe
06-02-2004, 03:35 PM
If KW trades Maggs under any circumstances, I'll personally go to his house and challenge him to a duel, much like Aaron Burr vs. Alexander Hamilton. It would be the dumbest move EVER. Plus, KW is all about winning this year, and trading Maggs means NOT winning this year.

Get it through your thick skulls

G

santo=dorf
06-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by steff
I believe Kenny would trade his soul.

:KW

"But it's ALF!!! And he's on POG'S now!!!"