PDA

View Full Version : MLB.com mock draft

CyYoung5621
06-02-2004, 11:30 AM
MLB.com mock draft has us taking 3B Josh Feilds (QB on Okla St. as well) out of Oklahoma State in the first round. Thoughts from all you draft gurus?

Randar68
06-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by CyYoung5621
MLB.com mock draft has us taking 3B Josh Feilds (QB on Okla St. as well) out of Oklahoma State in the first round. Thoughts from all you draft gurus?

If none of the big college pitchers fall to them, and Josh Fields is there, I imagine the Sox would take him. With all the picks the Sox have early, they would jump at the chance to draft a 2-sport kid and spread his signing bonus out.

Fields is the guy I have been predicting from the start. With all the OF prospects they have, IMO the only way they take Syzmanski is if they think he is a can't-miss future All-Star.

Corner IF is a VERY weak position within the organization. This would be a VERY smart pick, IMO.

CyYoung5621
06-02-2004, 12:17 PM
They also mentioned that with Crede at the hot corner for the time being that they may also try Fields at another position such as 1B. I think that if he could hit we could deal Joe for something (down the road of course) and he can take over 3B.

Fungo
06-02-2004, 12:18 PM
I would not be upset with Fields at all. Very strong kid with a good arm. He hit an opposite field home run in the Big 12 semi-final game against Texas that was a no-doubter. Very strong.

SoxxoS
06-02-2004, 12:18 PM
They also mentioned that with Crede at the hot corner for the time being that they may also try Fields at another position such as 1B. I think that if he could hit we could deal Joe for something (down the road of course) and he can take over 3B.

If Crede doesn't get his ass in gear...he won't be manning the hot corner for that much longer...

Randar68
06-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
If Crede doesn't get his ass in gear...he won't be manning the hot corner for that much longer...

Please see last year's splits and take some of these

:prozac

SEALgep
06-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
If none of the big college pitchers fall to them, and Josh Fields is there, I imagine the Sox would take him. With all the picks the Sox have early, they would jump at the chance to draft a 2-sport kid and spread his signing bonus out.

Fields is the guy I have been predicting from the start. With all the OF prospects they have, IMO the only way they take Syzmanski is if they think he is a can't-miss future All-Star.

Corner IF is a VERY weak position within the organization. This would be a VERY smart pick, IMO. I would like to take Fields as well, but even with our outfield depth, I wouldn't be disappointed with Syzmanski. The guy looks like an absolute 5 tool stud. He very well could be the next Beltran, although it may be a little early to make a judgement like that. He has all the tools though.

SoxxoS
06-02-2004, 12:39 PM

Yeah, let's forget about the rest of his numbers . Don't be like the FOC and just remember spurts here and there.

Sorry Randar, even you can't convince me to be confident in Crede after one half-season. It bothers me most that he shows no change...no improvement or adjustments.

Point being, I don't mind him in the lineup, but to continue to count on him as our long term replacement has to be put into question.

Randar68
06-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah, let's forget about the rest of his numbers . Don't be like the FOC and just remember spurts here and there.

Sorry Randar, even you can't convince me to be confident in Crede after one half-season. It bothers me most that he shows no change...no improvement or adjustments.

Point being, I don't mind him in the lineup, but to continue to count on him as our long term replacement has to be put into question.

He did the EXACT same thing last year. Settle down. This is his 2nd full season, not everyone turns into an All-Star overnight.

Thankfully baseball people have a lot more patience than the fans.

Randar68
06-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I would like to take Fields as well, but even with our outfield depth, I wouldn't be disappointed with Syzmanski. The guy looks like an absolute 5 tool stud. He very well could be the next Beltran, although it may be a little early to make a judgement like that. He has all the tools though.

He, like Brian Anderson, is a 5-tool CF'er. I still think Anderson has a higher ceiling, and much of Syzmanski's reputation is based off one AB.

If taking Fields allows us more flexibility to spend later in the draft, then that is what they should do if presented with the opportunity.

SoxxoS
06-02-2004, 12:47 PM
He did the EXACT same thing last year. Settle down. This is his 2nd full season, not everyone turns into an All-Star overnight.

Thankfully baseball people have a lot more patience than the fans.

HE HAS 964 career AT BATS. That is awfully patient. Maybe we should wait until he gets around 3000 to make a judgement.

I am NOT looking to trade for a 3Baseman right now. All I am saying is to count on Crede as a long term fixture after posting a .826 OPS in one half of a season is:

:whoflungpoo

Randar68
06-02-2004, 01:02 PM
HE HAS 964 career AT BATS. That is awfully patient. Maybe we should wait until he gets around 3000 to make a judgement.

I am NOT looking to trade for a 3Baseman right now. All I am saying is to count on Crede as a long term fixture after posting a .826 OPS in one half of a season is:

He posted an .892 OPS after the All-Star game last year and ended up hitting .261 after being at .206 on June 7th last year.

As I said. Settle down, Cleotus.

SoxxoS
06-02-2004, 01:04 PM
He posted an .892 OPS after the All-Star game last year and ended up hitting .261 after being at .206 on June 7th last year.

As I said. Settle down, Cleotus.

Yeah, you wrote that already. It doesn't mean if you write it again, it's any different.

Randar68
06-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Yeah, you wrote that already. It doesn't mean if you write it again, it's any different.

It does mean it's different when you posted it as a .826 OPS, which is clearly incorrect. You're right though. I guess if you couldn't read it the first time, the second time wasn't going to make a difference.

Hey, you enjoy Rowand's non-error-error that cost them a run last night, or am I just using my eyes to judge defensive abilities again?

BLAH!

SoxxoS
06-02-2004, 01:14 PM
It does mean it's different when you posted it as a .826 OPS, which is clearly incorrect. You're right though. I guess if you couldn't read it the first time, the second time wasn't going to make a difference.

Hey, you enjoy Rowand's non-error-error that cost them a run last night, or am I just using my eyes to judge defensive abilities again?

BLAH!

I was never a FOC, so I don't know what you are talking about.

I accidentally clicked "2002" on the stats page at ESPN when he posted a .826 OPS after the All-Star.

I just can't believe that you are going to judge the long term prospects at 3B by one good half season by Crede. You know, it is possible that Crede had a fluke 2nd half in 2003, and will struggle THIS WHOLE YEAR. That is highly possible. The past doesn't necessarily dictate the future.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a player that can't hit in the first half of the season.

Iguana775
06-02-2004, 01:21 PM

I accidentally clicked "2002" on the stats page at ESPN when he posted a .826 OPS after the All-Star.

I just can't believe that you are going to judge the long term prospects at 3B by one good half season by Crede. You know, it is possible that Crede had a fluke 2nd half in 2003, and will struggle THIS WHOLE YEAR. That is highly possible. The past doesn't necessarily dictate the future.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a player that can't hit in the first half of the season.

For me, I'll give him a chance. but if he is still hitting .200 in july, then I'll start to want to look else where.

Dadawg_77
06-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Draft preview from Baseball Prospectus.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2928

Randar68
06-02-2004, 01:22 PM

1) I also use his minor league history to judge his long-term value
2) I also use the dynamics on display in his swing and approach to judge his long-term value
3) I also use his physical abilities and talent to judge his long-term potential

Seriously, he can have a long swing at times at the plate, and when he's not right or is lacking confidence, he's going to look lost and out of sort. Derek Jeter had been in a terrible slump. Big F'in deal.

Crede still hasn't filled out and he had a great spring. He has 30 HR power and plays a top-notch defensive 3rd base. He'll get himself straightened out, he's done it before and he'll do it again.

Anyone who ever slumps on the Sox attracts this hard-core group of fence-sitters ready to kick the next guy to the curb at the first sign of trouble. It's patent immaturity and it's not only naive, but unreasonable. A month, 2 months, and it practically wipes a player's history clean, because the short-sightedness and short memories of these people deem that to be the most significant time ever.

Crede has been nothing but clutch, despite his struggles. He was last year as well. Is it possible he'll continue to struggle? Certainly. However, it's about as likely as Derek jeter hitting .220 for the rest of the year.

rdivaldi
06-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Personally I would prefer us to draft right handed pitching heavily. We are already deep enough in the outfield and have some decent infield prospects.

Kadafi311
06-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Anyone who ever slumps on the Sox attracts this hard-core group of fence-sitters ready to kick the next guy to the curb at the first sign of trouble. It's patent immaturity and it's not only naive, but unreasonable. A month, 2 months, and it practically wipes a player's history clean, because the short-sightedness and short memories of these people deem that to be the most significant time ever.

And to that end, look at PK. A few weeks ago there were about 27,431,132 posts asking for his removal because he was an overpaid schmuck who couldn't handle a bat.

He's now leading all AL 1B's with 11 HR and 35 RBI, not to mention hitting .280.

There are few things more annyoning than impatient/ignorant fans who know absolutely nothing about the game. Sadly, they always seem to be the most vocal.

Randar68
06-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
Personally I would prefer us to draft right handed pitching heavily. We are already deep enough in the outfield and have some decent infield prospects.

6 picks in the first 69, should give the Sox plenty of opportunity. The position-prospect depth is poor and the top part of the draft will be pitching-heavy. If they don't take a positional player at #18, there won't be real good value there for most of the rest of their early picks, although C is a deep position this year...

Randar68
06-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
And to that end, look at PK. A few weeks ago there were about 27,431,132 posts asking for his removal because he was an overpaid schmuck who couldn't handle a bat.

He's now leading all AL 1B's with 11 HR and 35 RBI, not to mention hitting .280.

There are few things more annyoning than impatient/ignorant fans who know absolutely nothing about the game. Sadly, they always seem to be the most vocal.

Pauly is streaky, he hasn't historically walked at a very good rate, he's slow, and hits into a ton of DP's. That said, his salary is what draws the ire of most people. He would have a lot more fans if he made 3-4 million a year and wasn't a burden to the Sox' flexibility.

SoxxoS
06-02-2004, 01:46 PM
1) I also use his minor league history to judge his long-term value
2) I also use the dynamics on display in his swing and approach to judge his long-term value
3) I also use his physical abilities and talent to judge his long-term potential

Seriously, he can have a long swing at times at the plate, and when he's not right or is lacking confidence, he's going to look lost and out of sort. Derek Jeter had been in a terrible slump. Big F'in deal.

Crede still hasn't filled out and he had a great spring. He has 30 HR power and plays a top-notch defensive 3rd base. He'll get himself straightened out, he's done it before and he'll do it again.

Crede has been nothing but clutch, despite his struggles. He was last year as well. Is it possible he'll continue to struggle? Certainly. However, it's about as likely as Derek jeter hitting .220 for the rest of the year.

I see your point Randar, but comparing Crede's slump to Derek Jeter is a little off. Derek Jeter is arguably a hall of famer that is a proven hitter for almost 10 years. You know he is going to be .800 OPS at the end of the year becasue of his long track record.

As I have stated before in this thread, I am all for keeping Crede at 3rd base the rest of this season. If he keeps up this current pace for this entire season, however, I can't look at him as our "Long term fixture" at 3B anymore. He is going to have 1200 ML at-bats at the end of the season. That is more than enough to evaluate a player. I am on the fence when it comes to Crede right now, I will admit that. I see one good half season on his resume, and a player that has trouble making adjustments.

rdivaldi
06-02-2004, 01:48 PM
6 picks in the first 69, should give the Sox plenty of opportunity. The position-prospect depth is poor and the top part of the draft will be pitching-heavy. If they don't take a positional player at #18, there won't be real good value there for most of the rest of their early picks, although C is a deep position this year...

Fine, then take a catcher at #18 and then use all of our sandwich picks and second rounders on right handed pitching. :smile:

SoxxoS
06-02-2004, 01:49 PM

He is still overpaid...

And I, for one, would still trade him right now...for the right player. His recent hot streak has actually made him tradeable for a talented player, rather than just a salary exchange.

I love the guy, but if we can get a good pitcher for him, it was nice knowing ya walnuts...

Randar68
06-02-2004, 01:49 PM
I see your point Randar, but comparing Crede's slump to Derek Jeter is a little off. Derek Jeter is arguably a hall of famer that is a proven hitter for almost 10 years. You know he is going to be .800 OPS at the end of the year becasue of his long track record.

Only because Jeter has a longer history in MLB. However, it's very comparable, and to say Jeter is a HOF'er? He's not even the 5th best SS of his era?

Kadafi311
06-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Pauly is streaky, he hasn't historically walked at a very good rate, he's slow, and hits into a ton of DP's. That said, his salary is what draws the ire of most people. He would have a lot more fans if he made 3-4 million a year and wasn't a burden to the Sox' flexibility.

I can understand that. Maybe he isn't quite 8M calibur, but it's not WAY off base. The thing about Konerko is he always seems to come through with a big AB - He's a great 1B IMHO.

The only burden to the Sox' flexibility is Jerry "We're In a Small Market I Swear" Reinsdorf.

SoxxoS
06-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Only because Jeter has a longer history in MLB. However, it's very comparable, and to say Jeter is a HOF'er? He's not even the 5th best SS of his era?

That is true, but he is going to be in the hall of fame based on his overratedness. There are a lot of guys that should be in there, as we know, but that goes the other way as well. I am not an expert on his HOF issue and I am not old enough to see a lot of the inductees play, but I do think that Jeter will eventually be in the HOF based on his overrated fielding, overrated BA, and intangables.

Randar68
06-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Fine, then take a catcher at #18 and then use all of our sandwich picks and second rounders on right handed pitching. :smile:

The problem is, only Neil Walker is worthy of that 18th pick (He'll be gone with Pitt's pick at # 11) and any other catcher there would be a real stretch. You take the highest guy on your board as a positional prospect at #18, and take aboat-load of pitchers with a catcher thrown in before the end of the 2nd round, maybe even add a Dustin Pedroia if he falls to the bottom of round 2.

Pitching is a real crap-shoot, and I have a hard time passing up good position prospects for pitchers in the first couple rounds...

Suzuki, Jaramillo, or Powell would all be good 2nd round picks at C, IMO.

CWSGuy406
06-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Getting back to the topic - Would , I think his name is J.P. Howell be a smart pick at, what, 19 (Sorry, Im forgetting if the Sox pick at 18 or 19?)? He put up a 1.72 (IIRC) ERA up at Texas, in a tough Big 12 Conference. And his curveball has been compared to Barry Zito's - though I don't know if it is true or not, I've never seen him play.

Would he fall to where the Sox pick with the sandwich picks or what? I really like what I'm hearing about this guy, and I wouldn't mind taking Fields with our pick. He was awesome in the Big 12 Conference Playoffs. He's strong, can go opposite way, hits for power.

Randar68
06-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Getting back to the topic - Would , I think his name is J.P. Howell be a smart pick at, what, 19 (Sorry, Im forgetting if the Sox pick at 18 or 19?)? He put up a 1.72 (IIRC) ERA up at Texas, in a tough Big 12 Conference. And his curveball has been compared to Barry Zito's - though I don't know if it is true or not, I've never seen him play.

Would he fall to where the Sox pick with the sandwich picks or what? I really like what I'm hearing about this guy, and I wouldn't mind taking Fields with our pick. He was awesome in the Big 12 Conference Playoffs. He's strong, can go opposite way, hits for power.

JP Howell at #18 would be a significant reach. He's not a real high-ceiling guy, and if the Sox liked him, they could target him with an early second rounder and hope he is available. He's the kind of player that some organizations would over-draft if they were able to work out a pre-draft deal with him at a discount... The Sox might be able to do something like that with their second sandwich pick or later...

jabrch
06-02-2004, 02:07 PM

got a link for this? I cant find the mock draft on MLB.COM.

rdivaldi
06-02-2004, 03:00 PM
The problem is, only Neil Walker is worthy of that 18th pick (He'll be gone with Pitt's pick at # 11) and any other catcher there would be a real stretch. You take the highest guy on your board as a positional prospect at #18, and take aboat-load of pitchers with a catcher thrown in before the end of the 2nd round, maybe even add a Dustin Pedroia if he falls to the bottom of round 2

Pitching is a real crap-shoot, and I have a hard time passing up good position prospects for pitchers in the first couple rounds...

Suzuki, Jaramillo, or Powell would all be good 2nd round picks at C, IMO.

I just can't see any justification for us taking another outfielder though. An infielder, fine. But the system is getting awfully thin pitching wise. With the loss of Honel and Wing our mid-term future is not lookin very good. We need to stock up on the lower levels big time.

Randar68
06-02-2004, 03:26 PM
I just can't see any justification for us taking another outfielder though. An infielder, fine. But the system is getting awfully thin pitching wise. With the loss of Honel and Wing our mid-term future is not lookin very good. We need to stock up on the lower levels big time.

Gotta take the best available player, IMO. I wouldn't mind Syzmanski at all, but I would prefer Fields for certain. Unfortunately for the Sox, none of the top pitching arms are college seniors, so they're going to have to pick and choose carefully to be sure whoever they take is signable.

I think there is definite mid-first talent available at the top of the draft this year at positional players. The draft isn't great at any position in terms of ceiling, but HS pitchers are being over-looked a bit this year, and there isn't going to be any Ryan Sweeney-type value picks once you get to the second round this year IMO.

MarkEdward
06-03-2004, 01:04 AM
So I spent some time looking at the draft tonight. Though I don't think it will happen, I wouldn't be surprised if Josh Fields is gone by the time we pick at 18. I could definitely see either the Expos, Royals, or Dodgers taking him with one of their first picks.

The Expos will want a cheap, MLB-ready player. Baseball America has said that they will take either a college reliever or starter like Street or Verlander, but I can't see them taking a reliever in the first round two years in a row. In the end, they'll probably choose between Fields, B.J. Szymanski, or one of the college pitchers available at 13.

The Royals have a bunch of arms in their organization, so I don't think they'll take a pitcher with their first pick. As BA mentioned, the Royals have three of the first 31 picks in the draft, so they'll most likely be picking players with a budget in mind. BA has the Royals picking Mike Ferris, but I can see them taking either Szymanski or Fields too.

BA has the Dodgers taking a pitcher, but considering the fact that a good number of their top prospects are pitchers (Jackson, Miller, Hanrahan, Billingsley) and knowing Depodesta, I think they'll take a college hitter. Again, Fields would be a good option for the Dodgers, as would Szymanksi.

So if Fields is gone before the Sox pick, I think the Sox should take a pitcher. Zack Jackson should be available, and I wouldn't mind taking him. Big guy (6'5, 230 lbs) and great numbers in a tough conference (10.1 K/9, 5.2 K/BB). He throws a fastball that can hit 93 and BA says he's got a nifty slider. Justin Hoyman's numbers are less impressive (2.7 K/BB, 6.4 K/9) and he has had some problems with injuries (nothing arm-related, though), but he has pitched very well in arguably the best conference in America (the SEC) and he throws a nasty sinker (according to BA). I wouldn't mind taking him. I also like David Purcey out of Oklahoma, but I'm pretty sure he'll be gone by the time we pick (he'll probably go to Arizona).

So with all this being said, here are six players that I think the Sox should have an eye on:
1. David Purcey
2. Mike Ferris
3. B.J. Szymanski
4. Zack Jackson
5. Josh Fields
6. Justin Hoyman

However, I think Purcey, Ferris, and Szymanski will all be gone by the time we pick at 18. So here are three players who should be available at 18 that the Sox should think about taking:
1. Jackson
2. Fields
3. Hoyman

I'd target Powell, Howell, and Jon Zeringue for our supplemental picks.

Randar68
06-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I'd target Powell, Howell, and Jon Zeringue for our supplemental picks.

You'd be able to get Powell or Howell with some of our 2nd round picks and not have to blow the supplementals on them. I'd rather have Suzuki or Jaramillo in the supplemental round than reach for Powell that early. Powell will almost certainly be there with ANY of our 2nd round picks all the way down to 69.

A comment about the Expos: Syzmanski is less-refined and polished at the plate than Brian Anderson, and he was considered a reach at the time mid-first round. Syzmanski is pretty raw and will take longer to develop than the Expos are likely to be patient for. Fields isn't all that different as he is pretty raw defensively and needs to focus on one sport.

Fields appeals to the budget-minded teams with less patience, for certain... LA? Is Depodesta running the draft or is he allowing his scouting/player development staff run their draft? I have heard the second, but we shall see. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a guy like Ferris instead.

Also, I don't think Fields has flashed the plate discipline that BB-desciple teams cherish, which makes him less attractive to teams like LA or Toronto.

Syzmanski has slid a little bit in my mind, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him slide to the Twins.

Teams that may target Fields: Expos, Tex, LA, Royals, Blue Jays.

Expos: In a college-pitching-rich draft, I expect them to take a college pitcher

Tex/LA/Tor: Who is the favorite target of BB? College pitchers and hitters who show good plate discipline. Fields doesn't quite fit that mold

Blue Jays: Here is who I think is the real threat to grad Fields. They already spend over a million dollars on Luis Cota as a DF, so they are going to be a bit budget conscious, especially having a bunch of early picks. Being able to spread out his signing bonus would be pretty attractive.

Who knows how this will unfold. Fields could go nuts in CWS play before Monday's draft and go as early as #10 to Texas or as late as 20-22 to Minnesota or Philly if he has a poor showing.

If Syzmanski and Fields are both gone by the time the Sox pick, so REALLY good pitching talent will fall to them, IMO, and that would be hard to pass-up. I think KC is the only real threat to take Fields before the Sox at this point, though.

Randar68
06-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Interesting Sox prospect connection in the upcomming draft I had not realized is a Southern California prep prospect.....

From BA:

Mark Reed, c

Reed is the younger brother of White Sox outfield prospect Jeremy Reed, who led the minor leagues with a .373 average last year. Both are lefthanded hitters and have similar approaches at the plate. Mark, at 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, may have more power than his brother, who was a singles hitter in college and has become a gap hitter in pro ball. Both play the game hard. Mark's arm and receiving skills are a little short for an everyday catcher. He has the versatility and speed to play almost anywhere but prefers to catch. Like his brother, Reed has committed to Long Beach State, and it may take at least the same $650,000 bonus Jeremy received from the White Sox in 2002 to entice him to sign. Reed is projected to be a third- or fourth-round pick, but the White Sox or Angels, who have made the signing of local high school players a priority, could overdraft him.

Fungo
06-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Interesting Sox prospect connection in the upcomming draft I had not realized is a Southern California prep prospect.....

From BA:

Mark Reed, c

Reed is the younger brother of White Sox outfield prospect Jeremy Reed, who led the minor leagues with a .373 average last year. Both are lefthanded hitters and have similar approaches at the plate. Mark, at 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, may have more power than his brother, who was a singles hitter in college and has become a gap hitter in pro ball. Both play the game hard. Mark's arm and receiving skills are a little short for an everyday catcher. He has the versatility and speed to play almost anywhere but prefers to catch. Like his brother, Reed has committed to Long Beach State, and it may take at least the same $650,000 bonus Jeremy received from the White Sox in 2002 to entice him to sign. Reed is projected to be a third- or fourth-round pick, but the White Sox or Angels, who have made the signing of local high school players a priority, could overdraft him.

I noticed that too while reading through BA. Interesting. Also, Jon Zeringue was drafted a few years back by the White Sox out of High School. From BA...
Zeringue turned down the White Sox as a third-round pick out of E.D. White Catholic High in Thibodeaux, where he won four 3-A state titles, and he should go a round higher three years later. A prep catcher who has moved to right field, Zeringue profiles well at his current position. He's country strong, thanks to working in a sugar cane factory as a teenager, and few players in this draft can crush pitches to all fields like he can. Though he strikes out some, Zeringue has made nice adjustments since his freshman year, when he batted .245 and had difficulty with offspeed pitches. Until a late-season slump dropped his average to .396, he was well ahead of Russ Johnson's Louisiana State-record .410. Solidly built at 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds, he moves well and has a good arm in right field.

Any draft & follow news on the White Sox? BA has their update coming out tomorrow, but anyone read anything else yet?

Randar68
06-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Fungo
I noticed that too while reading through BA. Interesting. Also, Jon Zeringue was drafted a few years back by the White Sox out of High School. From BA...
Zeringue turned down the White Sox as a third-round pick out of E.D. White Catholic High in Thibodeaux, where he won four 3-A state titles, and he should go a round higher three years later. A prep catcher who has moved to right field, Zeringue profiles well at his current position. He's country strong, thanks to working in a sugar cane factory as a teenager, and few players in this draft can crush pitches to all fields like he can. Though he strikes out some, Zeringue has made nice adjustments since his freshman year, when he batted .245 and had difficulty with offspeed pitches. Until a late-season slump dropped his average to .396, he was well ahead of Russ Johnson's Louisiana State-record .410. Solidly built at 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds, he moves well and has a good arm in right field.

Any draft & follow news on the White Sox? BA has their update coming out tomorrow, but anyone read anything else yet?

Zeringue and his teammate Jay Mattox were 3rd and 4th round selections in the same draft. Zeringue profiles with a possible move to 1B. He wasn't fluid/quick enough to stay behind the plate and LSU had a couple good catchers ahead of him, but they needed his bat in the lineup, so he moved to the OF.

He could be a Sandwich pick for someone or go early 2nd round.

The Sox don't have a ton of top DFE candidates this year. Neil Geisler is a guy from Okaloosa-Walton JC in Florida who is an athletic kid. He made All-Conference, All-Region/State and All-Tournament teams last year, and just finished his season this year. He hit .417 this year and showed good speed and a little power. He is more of a doubles/triples guy though. The Sox have drafted him 2 times already, so who knows?

They took 10 JuCo guys last year, so they still have a few days to sign any of them...

Randar68
06-03-2004, 11:31 AM

Cody Dickens is a 6'2" RHP with mid-90's velocity and a hard slider. Sox drafted him in the 16th round last year and he was drafted by the Angels out of HS the year before.

Eric Everly is a 6'3" LHP the Sox have also drafted in 2002 and 2003.

MarkEdward
06-03-2004, 01:07 PM
You'd be able to get Powell or Howell with some of our 2nd round picks and not have to blow the supplementals on them. I'd rather have Suzuki or Jaramillo in the supplemental round than reach for Powell that early. Powell will almost certainly be there with ANY of our 2nd round picks all the way down to 69.

Though I don't have much to back it up, my gut says Suzuki will be gone by the time we pick at 34. He's arguably the best catcher in the draft. I took Powell over Jaramillo just because of Powell's hitting ability. Overall, though, you're right; Powell will most likely be available in the later rounds of the draft.

I don't think Howell will be available after the supplemental rounds. BA has him ranked as the 44th-best prospect in the draft. As I said before, he's put up very good numbers this year. Plus, he's the kind of pitcher that scouts tend to undervalue. Relatively short pitcher who doesn't throw extremely hard (BA says he tops out at 89). He may be reach at 38, but I think he'd definitely be a worthwhile pick.

A comment about the Expos: Syzmanski is less-refined and polished at the plate than Brian Anderson, and he was considered a reach at the time mid-first round. Syzmanski is pretty raw and will take longer to develop than the Expos are likely to be patient for. Fields isn't all that different as he is pretty raw defensively and needs to focus on one sport.

Touche. Thinking about it more, the Expos probably will take a pitcher. Maybe Verlander?

Fields appeals to the budget-minded teams with less patience, for certain... LA? Is Depodesta running the draft or is he allowing his scouting/player development staff run their draft? I have heard the second, but we shall see. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a guy like Ferris instead.

BA said scouting director Logan White will most likely run the draft (and I don't blame Depodesta; the Dodgers farm system has become pretty strong under White). That said, Ferris looks like someone both Depodesta and White could agree on. However, with James Loney in the system, why take another first baseman?

Also, I don't think Fields has flashed the plate discipline that BB-desciple teams cherish, which makes him less attractive to teams like LA or Toronto.

Well, his walk rate isn't that bad (45 BBs to 41 Ks in 2004). BA has the Jays targeting a pitcher, but I can see them taking Fields.

Tex/LA/Tor: Who is the favorite target of BB? College pitchers and hitters who show good plate discipline. Fields doesn't quite fit that mold

I can't see the Rangers taking Fields. First, he'd be a bit of a stretch at number ten. Second, Texas has a bunch of corner infielders in their system already (Blalock, Teixeira, Sinisi, Gonzalez). Third, I don't think they'll pass on a pitcher.

Blue Jays: Here is who I think is the real threat to grad Fields. They already spend over a million dollars on Luis Cota as a DF, so they are going to be a bit budget conscious, especially having a bunch of early picks. Being able to spread out his signing bonus would be pretty attractive.

Again, I think they'll take a pitcher, but Fields is certainly in the realm of possibility.

If Syzmanski and Fields are both gone by the time the Sox pick, so REALLY good pitching talent will fall to them, IMO, and that would be hard to pass-up. I think KC is the only real threat to take Fields before the Sox at this point, though.

FWIW, I did a mock draft of my own, and I had the Royals taking Fields at 14. They'll probably go with either Fields, Szymanski, or Ferris.

As you said, we have some good options for this draft. Fields, Szymanski, or Ferris should be top priorities, but if they're gone, guys like Zack Jackson, Thomas Diamond, and David Purcey should be available.

Randar68
06-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
As you said, we have some good options for this draft. Fields, Szymanski, or Ferris should be top priorities, but if they're gone, guys like Zack Jackson, Thomas Diamond, and David Purcey should be available.

I couldn't see Texas taking Fields either, not with their pitching needs, but Fields is athletic enough to play 3B, 2B, 1B or OF. I was just saying, if he absolutely exploded over the next few days, it could push him up there.

I'd take Diamond or either of the other 2 in a second if none of the 3 positional prospects are there. Also, Suzuki is a Beane-favorite, so if the Sox want him, they can probably still get him with their first sandwich pick just before the A's pick (assuming Beane doesn't make a pre-draft deal with him to take him in the first round).

Hangar18
06-03-2004, 01:12 PM

Didnt Hawk say something about this last week? heh heh

Fungo
06-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Cody Dickens is a 6'2" RHP with mid-90's velocity and a hard slider. Sox drafted him in the 16th round last year and he was drafted by the Angels out of HS the year before.

Eric Everly is a 6'3" LHP the Sox have also drafted in 2002 and 2003.

This is BA's list of DFE that have signed so far...

Rolando Acosta, ss, Pima (Ariz.) CC Round 41

Eric Everly, lhp, Olney Central (Ill.) JC Round 42

Dustin Shafer, ss, St. Catharine (Ky.) CC Round 43

Brandon Johnson, 2b, Crowder (Mo.) CC Round 44

Randar68
06-04-2004, 10:39 AM
This is BA's list of DFE that have signed so far...

Rolando Acosta, ss, Pima (Ariz.) CC Round 41

Eric Everly, lhp, Olney Central (Ill.) JC Round 42

Dustin Shafer, ss, St. Catharine (Ky.) CC Round 43

Brandon Johnson, 2b, Crowder (Mo.) CC Round 44

Yep, and those are the only ones that will sign, as the rest of the Sox' DFE candidates are no longer in post-season play and are now draft-eligible again.

Acosta and Everly are the only 2 of real interest, but we shall see. They report to Arizona generally a few days after signing.

Fungo
06-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Yep, and those are the only ones that will sign, as the rest of the Sox' DFE candidates are no longer in post-season play and are now draft-eligible again.

Acosta and Everly are the only 2 of real interest, but we shall see. They report to Arizona generally a few days after signing.

Thanks. While doing some searching to find out more about these guys, I came across an article that said that Pima CC is now using wood bats during their regular season. Other than finding Acosta on the Arizona CC 2nd team ALL-Conference, I didn't see any stats. Curious to see what he hit with the wood bat.

Fungo
06-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Draft chat @...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/chat.php?id=2004060401

John Manuel and Allan Simpson fielding questions

mendozaln
06-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
got a link for this? I cant find the mock draft on MLB.COM.

It's an audio link. Go to http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/draftday/y2004/index.jsp
and look just to the right of the top photo ("MLB.com Radio mock draft, first round picks 16-30")

batmanZoSo
06-04-2004, 05:08 PM

What he's doing now is unacceptable. No second half tear could justify it. I understand he's still fairly new at this level, but he's hitting .200, getting on base at .246...you can't do that and be in the major leagues...certainly not starting. If he does this again next year I'll be more than ready to see him traded or dropped or whatever.

SoxxoS
06-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
What he's doing now is unacceptable. No second half tear could justify it. I understand he's still fairly new at this level, but he's hitting .200, getting on base at .246...you can't do that and be in the major leagues...certainly not starting. If he does this again next year I'll be more than ready to see him traded or dropped or whatever.

Great minds think alike batman...Randar doesn't understand this Crede thing.

Speaking for you...I don't think we are ready to give up on him YET, but at the end of this year he better have more respectable numbers than he has now. If he doesn't, I want KW looking for a replacement. He can no longer be considered the long-term solution.

Randar68
06-04-2004, 09:16 PM

Speaking for you...I don't think we are ready to give up on him YET, but at the end of this year he better have more respectable numbers than he has now. If he doesn't, I want KW looking for a replacement. He can no longer be considered the long-term solution.

Yawn. Just like i didn't understand the Olivo thing? Just like I didn't understand the Rowand thing? Or Willie Harris?

I thought we were getting somewhere... back to square one.

batmanZoSo
06-04-2004, 09:21 PM

Even that's not good enough. See, any player...and I mean any player, no matter how unworthy of being a starter he is, will eventually get really hot and Crede did just that last year for a brief period. But from April 2003 to now, he's been just terrible save for maybe 8 weeks. You put Rowand out there every day this year and he will have a nice hot streak himself. You might even see him hit .330 in a month and hit 5 homers. But of course that's just the law of averages....with Crede, it's because he has great potential....

Not that I'm a Rowand supporter at all...just an example.

Soxfest
06-05-2004, 12:00 AM
I like BJ .S the OF from Princeton.

Chisoxfn
06-05-2004, 01:53 AM
Yawn. Just like i didn't understand the Olivo thing? Just like I didn't understand the Rowand thing? Or Willie Harris?

I'm with Randar. Crede is definately in a funk, but this is the same guy that put up tremendous numbers in the 2nd half of last season in what was basically his rookie year.

He has shown good power this season and is a potential gold glover, the only knock on him defensively is his arm can be a little erratic.

To give up on him is ridiculous and to say he doesn't have a future or anything along those lines is riduculous. I've seen countless people say Harris was crap after he played sparingly last season for the Sox. All I ever said was to make a good evaluation on a guy you have to give him the opportunity to suceed and it takes consistent playing time for a guy to suceed.

Now Crede hasn't been a complete sucess, but the guy has flashed potential and isn't hurting htis club. I've seen him come up with countless clutch hits, sure he's also went down in clutch situations, but he has a good amount of RBI's, especially for a guy with a terrible average.

Chisoxfn
06-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Soxfest
I like BJ .S the OF from Princeton.
Thats who I like, because I think the college pitching will be gone. Then I"d like to see the Sox load up on college pitching in the compensatory round as well as the 2nd round (5 total selections in that period).

For the position players taken in that period, I think Larish from Arizona STate (1st baseman) and possibly Patterson's younger brother as well as Dustin Pedroia (also from ASU) would be very good pickups. Then in the 3rd round I'd go with whatever catcher is left, probably Landon Powell, although I've also heard good things about North Carolina's catcher.

Pitching wise, Matt Fox is a stud and I'd love to see him. I also think J.P. Howell is a good player as is Jason Vargas from Long Beach State. Grant Johnson from Notre Dame seems like a good pickup too, although a little more risky since he's still not 100% back from his injury (although he's still pitching good). Brett Smith from UCI would be a good pick in the 2nd round as well.

SoxxoS
06-05-2004, 10:24 AM

At least remember the subjects I argued with you over...which was Wunsch/Cotts. I am not a FOC, FOW, or FOO. You are better than that.

As for Chisoxfn, I didn't say we should "Give up on Crede" and "Crede has no future."

If you would re-read my posts, I said that if he has these numbers at the end of the season, he can no longer be considered the long-term replacement at third base. The guy has had 1000 At-bats in the majors...look at his numbers. This love of his second half of last year is turning into a love fest of Flub fan proportions.

SEALgep
06-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Anyone else getting excited for the draft? Even though it is somewhat of a crap shott and you have to develop the guys for several years in most cases, assuming they even become major caliber players, I'm excited anyway. I like what we've done the past few drafts, and I can't wait to see what we do in this one. Hopefully we do well, and get a little lucky as well. :)

Randar68
06-05-2004, 11:04 AM
At least remember the subjects I argued with you over...which was Wunsch/Cotts. I am not a FOC, FOW, or FOO. You are better than that.

As for Chisoxfn, I didn't say we should "Give up on Crede" and "Crede has no future."

If you would re-read my posts, I said that if he has these numbers at the end of the season, he can no longer be considered the long-term replacement at third base. The guy has had 1000 At-bats in the majors...look at his numbers. This love of his second half of last year is turning into a love fest of Flub fan proportions.

Yes, because the numbers at the season's end will be the end-all be-all of his potential...

ugh.

BTW, you TOTALLY missed the point about the olivo/rowand/willie topic.

minastirith67
06-05-2004, 11:08 AM
I, for one, am sick of QBs being turned into baseball prodigies. American football does not breed competent skills consistent with America's greatest sport.

mendozaln
06-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67
I, for one, am sick of QBs being turned into baseball prodigies. American football does not breed competent skills consistent with America's greatest sport.

I don't know about QBs, but there's a TE that's had some success w/ the Sox.

SoxxoS
06-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Yes, because the numbers at the season's end will be the end-all be-all of his potential...

ugh.

BTW, you TOTALLY missed the point about the olivo/rowand/willie topic.

At what point do you realize a guy doesn't reach his potential? When do you pull the plug? You keep talking about this second half, but I can't use the rest of his career? Makes sense.

ugh.

Elighten me about what you meant. I try not to get into this BS and hidden meanings.