PDA

View Full Version : Chavez has broken bone

Gammons Peter
06-02-2004, 09:41 AM
This should put a damper on their postseason plans

ode to veeck
06-02-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm not surprised by this as he left the game right after the half innning he was on base. Wrist injuries are tough too, & will make keeping up with the Halos and Rangers all the much tougher for the As

Win1ForMe
06-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Joe Crede for Mark Mulder. Get it done Kenny.

Randar68
06-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter

In chat last night I called that one the instant he was hit. The sound it made, hitting his hand and not the bat... ick.

nasox
06-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1814143)

TomParrish79
06-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Any word yet on how long he will be out?

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Rowand and Rauch for Mulder.

Palehose13
06-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
In chat last night I called that one the instant he was hit. The sound it made, hitting his hand and not the bat... ick.

Yeah, I thought the same thing too. From the replay they showed from the right handed batters box angle, it was brutal...OUCH!

jabrch
06-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Now the Great Billy Beane gets to move Mark McLemore into his starting lineup along with Marcus Scutaro and Scott Hatteberg. I love it!

Not cheering for injuries - sucks for Chavez. But I do like seeing Billy Beane's job made even harder. That's what he gets for being such a pud in Moneyball. When you stab a fellow GM in the back, needlessly, like he did, it comes back to you.

Anyone see the legendary Chad Bradford's line last night? 2 IP, 3 hits, 1 walk, 2 ER and a blown save opportunity.

yeah Billy - your a genius!

sas1974
06-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Now the Great Billy Beane gets to move Mark McLemore into his starting lineup along with Marcus Scutaro and Scott Hatteberg. I love it!

Not cheering for injuries - sucks for Chavez. But I do like seeing Billy Beane's job made even harder. That's what he gets for being such a pud in Moneyball. When you stab a fellow GM in the back, needlessly, like he did, it comes back to you.

Anyone see the legendary Chad Bradford's line last night? 2 IP, 3 hits, 1 walk, 2 ER and a blown save opportunity.

Karma is a beyotch! :D:

koch master 2
06-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Who thinks KW is eating this news up right now? We all know he hates Beane.

SoxxoS
06-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Got to love those in-game updates:

:hawk

"News on Chavez: He has a BRUISED (really stressed that word) hand.

raul12
06-02-2004, 11:24 AM

Olivo for Bradford...that trade sucked!

Win1ForMe
06-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Got to love those in-game updates:

:hawk

"News on Chavez: He has a BRUISED (really stressed that word) hand.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing last night. This isn't anything against Hawk, but surprised he got a report that quickly as I'm sure they didn't have time to take the x-rays.

Seems like Oakland would be in the Joe Randa market.

koch master 2
06-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by raul12
Olivo for Bradford...that trade sucked!

I would not say we WON that trade. If anything, maybe it was a wash. Bradford has a very good ERA and OBA so far this year, and pretty much has dominated us throughout his career (with the exception of last night).

Randar68
06-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing last night. This isn't anything against Hawk, but surprised he got a report that quickly as I'm sure they didn't have time to take the x-rays.

Seems like Oakland would be in the Joe Randa market.

No, the A's people issue those reports. They said he had a severely bruised right hand. That's all the info they had at the time. The way Hawk said it, it was pretty clear he implied it was worse than that...

Dadawg_77
06-02-2004, 11:33 AM
No, the A's people issue those reports. They said he had a severely bruised right hand. That's all the info they had at the time. The way Hawk said it, it was pretty clear he implied it was worse than that...

A's really don't say **** when it comes to injuries. They are known to keep everything quite.

raul12
06-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by koch master 2
I would not say we WON that trade. If anything, maybe it was a wash. Bradford has a very good ERA and OBA so far this year, and pretty much has dominated us throughout his career (with the exception of last night).

are you the evil reincarnation of "koch master"?

Randar68
06-02-2004, 11:45 AM

Yes, an everyday player at the catcher position, one of the best defensive catchers in baseball, and a kid with pop and speed hitting .290+ for a middle reliever.

Yeah, KW didn't win that trade at all...

raul12
06-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Yes, an everyday player at the catcher position, one of the best defensive catchers in baseball, and a kid with pop and speed hitting .290+ for a middle reliever.

Yeah, KW didn't win that trade at all...

But he takes at-bats from Sandy Alomar, and we could still have Josh Paul?!?!!??

pudge
06-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by TomParrish79
Any word yet on how long he will be out?

I'd bet at least 4 weeks, possibly 6.

Randar68
06-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I'd bet at least 4 weeks, possibly 6.

depends on where (wrist vs. hand) and how badly the break is.

SEALgep
06-02-2004, 12:36 PM
I would not say we WON that trade. If anything, maybe it was a wash. Bradford has a very good ERA and OBA so far this year, and pretty much has dominated us throughout his career (with the exception of last night). But we needed a catcher, and we got as real good one. Also our pen has been pretty good, so from our end we won. If they're happy too, good, but it only matters to me how we come out, assuming relations are undamaged.

SEALgep
06-02-2004, 12:36 PM
I hope they don't plan on retaliating.

Randar68
06-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I hope they don't plan on retaliating.

What, like it was intentional??? It was an inside pitch in the extra innings of a tied game. You don't retaliate for that, and if they did and I was the Sox pitcher, I'd throw it in the ear of the first 3 guys to stroll to the plate.

SoxxoS
06-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Ken Macha should be "Ben Christiansen'd" after trotting out Byrnes out there on a full count.

bartmanisgod
06-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Ken Macha should be "Ben Christiansen'd" after trotting out Byrnes out there on a full count.

At first I thought it was a fan on the field! Who sends a pinch runner 10 pitches into an at-bat

sas1974
06-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by bartmanisgod
At first I thought it was a fan on the field! Who sends a pinch runner 10 pitches into an at-bat

Who cares who does it? It worked! Cotts got distracted, threw to first, then left one up in the zone. Game over!

Palehose13
06-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by bartmanisgod

LOL...I did too!

MarkEdward
06-02-2004, 05:46 PM

Don't know if you caught the last two games, so I'll provide the box scores here:
A's- 6, Sox- 4. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=240601111)
A's- 3, Sox- 2. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=240602111)

And FWIW, here's the line for the former A's pitchers now on the Sox in this series:
1.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 2 HR, one blown save, two losses.

But hey, at least you got to get in a few potshots on Beane. That's all that really counts, right?

jabrch
06-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
But hey, at least you got to get in a few potshots on Beane. That's all that really counts, right?

Yeah - that's what really counts

MarkEdward
06-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Yeah - that's what really counts

OK, just checking.

FarWestChicago
06-02-2004, 05:57 PM
But hey, at least you got to get in a few potshots on Beane. That's all that really counts, right? No, what counts is the Sox lost. I certainly hope the FOBB's are unhappy about that, but I'm not sure they are.

MarkEdward
06-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
No, what counts is the Sox lost. I certainly hope the FOBB's are unhappy about that, but I'm not sure they are.

Jabrch seemed to be happy over the fact that Beane has a new predicament, and I was just reminding him that we did lose, unfortunately.

FWIW, the A's are my second-favorite team (the Sox obviously being the first). I've liked them since '95, so my fandom does have pre-Beane roots.

FarWestChicago
06-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Jabrch seemed to be happy over the fact that Beane has a new predicament, and I was just reminding him that we did lose, unfortunately.Well, you said unfortunately and I'll assume you would have preferred a Sox victory. But I know there are FOBB's and others (no need to mention names here :smile: ) who are happy when the Sox lose to the A's. :?:

MarkEdward
06-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Well, you said unfortunately and I'll assume you would have preferred a Sox victory. But I know there are FOBB's and others (no need to mention names here :smile: ) who are happy when the Sox lose to the A's. :?:

I don't know who you're referring to (Jeremy? Dawg?), but I'm sure every Sox fan here, whether they buy into sabermetrics or not, was disappointed with these two losses.

Whitesox029
06-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter
I would say they got their revenge wouldn't you?

Randar68
06-02-2004, 09:38 PM
I don't know who you're referring to (Jeremy? Dawg?), but I'm sure every Sox fan here, whether they buy into sabermetrics or not, was disappointed with these two losses.

sabermetrics says Aaaron Rowand is a good defensive OF'er. If there isn't a single more damning point than that, I don't know what it is.

what a load of crap. Aaron cost them 1 run each in 2 straight extra inning games... "But hey, his FLD% and RF and VORP are better than Torii Hunter."

kiss my butt.

doublem23
06-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Yeah, I thought the same thing too. From the replay they showed from the right handed batters box angle, it was brutal...OUCH!

Yeah, I saw that, too when the doc was working on his hand. When I saw what they were doing to his hand, I knew it was broken. I thought I was going to hurl when I watched that... So nasty. I would have been on the ground crying if someone did that to my broken hand. Chaves tiene heuvos.