PDA

View Full Version : What about Corey Patterson?

duke of dorwood
06-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Seems to be falling out of favor with Cubs and fans. Left handed hitter-pretty good defensively.

What do you think?

DaveIsHere
06-02-2004, 09:09 AM
No no no no no no no no no no!!!

bobj4400
06-02-2004, 09:09 AM
The Cubs would never trade Patterson to the South Side. If he ever became the superstar that they have predicted him to be for the last 5 years, it would hurt them too much to watch him play only 8 miles away everyday...

DirtySouthsider
06-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by DaveIsHere
No no no no no no no no no no!!!

Let me add a couple of more.....no no no no no no no!

bennyw41
06-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Oh dear god.......

:threadsucks

:bluerock

fledgedrallycap
06-02-2004, 09:17 AM
It really depends on what the LRP for the White Sox is...

Crede is struggling, and Uribe can be moved over to Third and Willie brought in to play second. However, I don't see Joe being benched. Therefore, unless Uribe's average crashes and is moved into a utility man; there is no place to play Patterson.

With that said, if you put Patterson near the bottom of the order protected by Konerko, Valentin; he would be a nice fit with a speedy, left-handed bat.

He has an terrible arm for a Center fielder though....

Palehose13
06-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
Let me add a couple of more.....no no no no no no no!

We need a few more:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

nasox
06-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Did somebody toss a shutout that I missed? :D:

misty60481
06-02-2004, 10:54 AM
How about Patterson & Farnsworth for Rowand & Wunsch I think all will do better with change of scenery
Maybe Rowand & Rauch
Think time with Gregg Walker and Cooper would help them

DrCrawdad
06-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Seems to be falling out of favor with Cubs and fans. Left handed hitter-pretty good defensively.

What do you think?

Corey Patterson, constantly hyped as a five tool player, isn't hitting for average & has no arm strength. Corey Patterson so far is a weak 3 tool player.

I can't realistically see a Cubs/Sox trade in the future, even if it makes sense for both teams.

koch master 2
06-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

What do you think?

Even Rowand is hitting better. If we are looking for an "upgrade" in center.....let's look to Kansas City.

GoSox2K3
06-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
If he ever became the superstar that they have predicted him to be for the last 5 years, it would hurt them too much to watch him play only 8 miles away everyday...

:shammy
Say what? Was somebody talking about me?

fledgedrallycap
06-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I can't realistically see a Cubs/Sox trade in the future, even if it makes sense for both teams.

Just out of curiousity, why do you believe that?

If the needs fit the other team, I don't think juvenile jealousy will prevent a smart baseball move (if you consider this trade smart, that is :D: )

Uncle_Patrick
06-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by misty60481
How about Patterson & Farnsworth for Rowand & Wunsch I think all will do better with change of scenery
Maybe Rowand & Rauch
Think time with Gregg Walker and Cooper would help them

Do the Cubs have any other crappy players we can take off their hands? I imagine that both Wunsch and Rauch are being shopped anyway, but I'd rather getting someone showing a little more talent and skill than either Patterson or Farnsworth. We don't really need bullpen help, so Farnsworth does us no good and Patterson is definately not the answer in centerfield. Rowand has good speed and a much stronger arm than Patterson and since Patterson's not hitting very well, he'd add nothing to the White Sox except "potential".

The answers to the Sox problem positions do not lie across town.

pinwheels3530
06-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13
We need a few more:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!

DrCrawdad
06-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap

If the needs fit the other team, I don't think juvenile jealousy will prevent a smart baseball move (if you consider this trade smart, that is :D: )

IMHO if you asked both GMs if they'd trade with the other crosstown team the answer would be yes. Consider though that the last crosstown trade was what 6 years ago suggests that there is some reluctance there. (BTW I'm sure someone will point out that there are plenty of teams that the Cubs or Sox have not traded with in 6 years or more but IMO there is still a reluctance on the part of the Cubs/Sox GMs.)

I just think that with the history of the Cubs/Sox trades, the present GMs will proceed with extreme caution if they were to proceed at all down the trade route.

A crosstown trade is about as likely as a Sox-Twins trade or Cubs-Cardinals.

skottyj242
06-02-2004, 11:49 AM
I say we trade for him and put him in front or behind Jose, so we could have two lefties who strike out all the time next to each other. This thread sucks. Do I want this trade?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Didn't Carey Petersen strike out TWICE with no outs and the bases loaded last night?

Uncle_Patrick
06-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap

Its been my observation, and I could be wrong, that both teams in Chicago are really reluctant to help out the other team unless one is really down and out. We know that fans really hate it, but I think upper management really hates to see that crosstown trade come back to haunt them (think Sammy Sosa, even though most Sox fans hate him).

Besides, right now, I don't think either team would be able to afford to part with a player that would help the other without hurting themselves.

It just ain't gonna happen.

JB98
06-02-2004, 12:02 PM
As on offensive player, Corey Patterson is very similar to Jose Valentin. The main difference is, Jose has a habit of coming through when his team needs a big hit. Patterson just strikes out no matter what the situation.

The Sox need Corey Patterson like I need a fatal chest wound.

fledgedrallycap
06-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Uncle_Patrick
It just ain't gonna happen.

I don't want it to happen, I just find it hard to believe that IF a deal made a lot of sense for both sides, it wouldn't get done because of the "worry" factor. There are good and bad trades, it happens with any team. However, I do agree that a bad will live on forever when it is does in-town.

wdelaney72
06-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Hell no.

Corey too swingy!

MRKARNO
06-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Sorry, but I would be in favor of this if we didnt have to give up any legit talent in return.

Baseball Prospectus attempts to predict the future of a player by finding players they most compare too in a specific year.

The first one was Lou Brock early in his career with a 53% match
Also near the top were the early versions of Johnny Damon, Sammy Sosa, Ray Lankford (who actually had a nice career), Jacque Jones and Mark Kotsay a little further down.

I think this would be a great opportunity for the Sox if we could pry Patterson from the Cubs. The Cubs are getting real impatient with him, but his upside is so immense if a club were to have patience with him . That's why the Cubs are so reluctant to trade, but he probably needs a change in scenery to do anything. He could be a good to great player, but it will be as an ex-Cub. Why not have it be in a White Sox uni?

the_valenstache
06-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by skottyj242
Didn't Carey Petersen strike out TWICE with no outs and the bases loaded last night?

Yeah, we've got guys to do that for us already at 3B, SS, 1B...

Without taking too many unnecessary jabs at our club, if Rowand (or insert any of our average-to-subaverage young players) was on the Cubs they'd have made him into THE NEXT BIG THING regardless of how he actually plays.

I always heard the Pattersoon hype but have never actually seen it.

dpbyron
06-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Scouting Report on Corey Patterson:

High Fastball: Strike 1

High Fastball: Strike 2

High Fastball: Strike 3

O VER RATE D, O VER RATE D, O VER RATE D

SoxxoS
06-02-2004, 01:17 PM
He had this quote yesterday what I found absolutely dumb:

"I would rather swing at pitches in the dirt or outside than let a ball go right down the middle..."

What? :?: :?: :?:

Mohoney
06-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
He had this quote yesterday what I found absolutely dumb:

"I would rather swing at pitches in the dirt or outside than let a ball go right down the middle..."

What? :?: :?: :?:

That was one of the all-time greats.

It explains, to a T, this guy's approach at the plate.

Swing hard and hope you hit it once in a while.

fledgedrallycap
06-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Sorry, but I would be in favor of this if we didnt have to give up any legit talent in return.

Baseball Prospectus attempts to predict the future of a player by finding players they most compare too in a specific year.

The first one was Lou Brock early in his career with a 53% match
Also near the top were the early versions of Johnny Damon, Sammy Sosa, Ray Lankford (who actually had a nice career), Jacque Jones and Mark Kotsay a little further down.

I think this would be a great opportunity for the Sox if we could pry Patterson from the Cubs. The Cubs are getting real impatient with him, but his upside is so immense if a club were to have patience with him . That's why the Cubs are so reluctant to trade, but he probably needs a change in scenery to do anything. He could be a good to great player, but it will be as an ex-Cub. Why not have it be in a White Sox uni?

I'm with you. It would depend greatly upon what the Sox would have to part with, but people are forgetting how young this guy is and the potential he has. Before he got injured last year, the guy was the best player on the Cubs.

rdivaldi
06-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Patterson has never performed on the field except for one good season in low A ball and one good month last year. He is a product of Baseball America hype and nothing else.

fledgedrallycap
06-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Where do you think the Cubs patience level is with this guy? Could you see them making a run at Beltran and pedalling Patterson off to someone like the Sox?

I am no expert on Cub baseball nor their farm system, but if they offered young pitching, KC would be fools not to accept knowing their current situation. The Cubs would be a nice suitor with Alou and Sosa winding down with cash to lock the kid up long-term. (I really hated typing this paragraph)