PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay

Viva Magglio
09-18-2001, 11:48 PM
With the high volume of bad calls by umpires, should MLB institute instant replay?

Jerry_Manuel
09-18-2001, 11:50 PM
It won't happen but I wouldn't mind seeing it.

FarWestChicago
09-18-2001, 11:53 PM
No, it won't happen. It would make games even longer. And we all know how The Tool feels about the length of games. The other question is, which plays would be reviewable?

Dadawg_77
09-18-2001, 11:56 PM
You know, forget Instant replay. Human error is apart of the game, player mess up so why shouldn't a call get messed up once in while. Hell, it is good for sports that a ref/ump misses call once in while because people talk about the call at work the next day or with friends, thus increasing the interest in the sport.

Jerry_Manuel
09-18-2001, 11:58 PM
I would think that anything could be reviewable. The problem you run in to besides making the games longer is what is the penalty when your challenge is rejected?

FarWestChicago
09-19-2001, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I would think that anything could be reviewable. The problem you run in to besides making the games longer is what is the penalty when your challenge is rejected? If everything was reviewable, games could get real long. The sports that have replay only review certain kinds of plays.

Jerry_Manuel
09-19-2001, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
If everything was reviewable, games could get real long. The sports that have replay only review certain kinds of plays.

Well then you could give each team x amount of challenges per game.

Paulwny
09-19-2001, 07:06 AM
I don't think it will ever happen due to the continuation of play when a ball is hit. Suppose Ray's ball is ruled fair, the rf bobbles it they decide to try and score Johnson, he's ruled out at the plate, Ray tries for third on the play, Posada throws the ball into lf and Ray scores. JM comes out and wants a replay on Johnson trying to score, he's ruled safe, then Torre comes out and wants a replay on Rays hit, it's ruled foul. An awful lot of action to reverse.