PDA

View Full Version : Relax, the Maggs contract was fake!


joeynach
06-02-2004, 12:33 AM
After the news hit from this 3rd rate paper in NY, our very own Bruce levine did the real research. He went on ESPN 1000 early this evening too report that the NY paper stroy about Maggs turnning down the 70 mil deal is bogus, not true. There is is sox fans, NOT TRUE. Bruce Levine is the zeus of baseball news and the most crediible source in town. He is the most honest reporter i know. If he says the stroy is bogus then its bogus, its as simple as that. The reporter was probaably speaking on behalf of old news, rumors, or fabricated the story. Remember this is the same guy and paper that said Maddux was going to the yanks, the next day he signed with the cubs.

DrCrawdad
06-02-2004, 12:51 AM
Interesting if as LeVineLine reported is the case that the story was untrue. You wonder if this were a Cub player if the Cubune would have run that story on their webpage.

Yeah, what was I thinking...of course they wouldn't.

SEALgep
06-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
After the news hit from this 3rd rate paper in NY, our very own Bruce levine did the real research. He went on ESPN 1000 early this evening too report that the NY paper stroy about Maggs turnning down the 70 mil deal is bogus, not true. There is is sox fans, NOT TRUE. Bruce Levine is the zeus of baseball news and the most crediible source in town. He is the most honest reporter i know. If he says the stroy is bogus then its bogus, its as simple as that. The reporter was probaably speaking on behalf of old news, rumors, or fabricated the story. Remember this is the same guy and paper that said Maddux was going to the yanks, the next day he signed with the cubs. Thanks but I would rather hear it from Maggs himself. Oh wait he did on the white sox website. :D:

pinwheels3530
06-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Well that's good to hear I still hope we sign him to a long term deal, let's see what happens.

batmanZoSo
06-02-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
Well that's good to hear I still hope we sign him to a long term deal, let's see what happens.

So that was a big waste of time the other day. Knowing this, I see no reason why we can't re-sign him. Unless he goes on to prove that he is totally greedy...right now all that is bunk. And I wouldn't expect him to be like that, so our confidence should go way up.

I'd like them to sign him for 6/72, that's 12 million a year and takes him to retirement pretty much. The rumor at mlb.com is 6/68...that's only 11.3 per, we'll see if he bites on that.

pinwheels3530
06-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
So that was a big waste of time the other day. Knowing this, I see no reason why we can't re-sign him. Unless he goes on to prove that he is totally greedy...right now all that is bunk. And I wouldn't expect him to be like that, so our confidence should go way up.

I'd like them to sign him for 6/72, that's 12 million a year and takes him to retirement pretty much. The rumor at mlb.com is 6/68...that's only 11.3 per, we'll see if he bites on that.


I don't think Maggs is greedy, I actually think he wants to stay. I hope that I am right and he decides to sign, but he just needs to watch out for any diminished skill clauses I wouldn't JR to rip him off like he did Frank " I don't need no darn cork " Thomas. :D:

voodoochile
06-02-2004, 09:08 AM
I am shocked and stunned that a NY tabloid reporter would make up stuff and go on halfass rumors to sell a few newspapers.

Now watch the Ch 7 news tonight and the Tribune website. I am sure they will make retractions...

joeynach
06-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Thanks but I would rather hear it from Maggs himself. Oh wait he did on the white sox website. :D:


BS, he did no such thing, show me!

Kid Kip
06-02-2004, 09:56 AM
the offer was 60/4 years, but mags wants 5 years. talks have slowed down, but are not dead. mags definitely wants to stay, but won't bend from his 5 year demand

Palehose13
06-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Kid Kip
the offer was 60/4 years, but mags wants 5 years. talks have slowed down, but are not dead. mags definitely wants to stay, but won't bend from his 5 year demand

If this is the case, what is the problem with giving him another year. Geesh...

Kadafi311
06-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Ordonez was a bit sore at Jon Heyman, who reported in Sunday's edition of Newsday that contract negotiations with the White Sox had fallen apart. The report went on to say that Ordonez rejected a five-year, $70 million offer and was all but certain to leave, with the Mets becoming a suitable destination.

The report already had been brought to Ordonez's attention. He didn't seem to know anything about turning down an offer commensurate with his $14 million salary this season.

"No, that's not true. That's a lie," said Ordonez of the report out of New York. "I just read the paper and that's a lie. I don't know who said that and why they said I want to go to the Mets. It's a lie, that's all I can say."

Ordonez mentioned that Tom Reich, his agent, is still talking with the White Sox about a possible new deal. But the contract couldn't be further from his mind right now.

The Article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040601&content_id=758665&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

Good news, but better news would be that he's signed :gulp:

jabrch
06-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13
If this is the case, what is the problem with giving him another year. Geesh...


The problem is you can not insure position players past 4 years.

Hondo
06-02-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm glad this is resolved but let's remember two things:

1-Jon Heyman is the same guy who broke all the arod to boston, nomar here, then arod to NY talk. So it's not like he's some loose cannon.
2-Newsday is a respected newspaper and not the NY POST, which is occasionally printed in English.

adsit
06-02-2004, 10:41 AM
... because I love reading the reactions of the conspiracy theorists on this board. And I mean that sincerely.

Long Island Newsday is owned and published by the Tribune Company. It's Cubune East!

Discuss?

Dadawg_77
06-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I am shocked and stunned that a NY tabloid reporter would make up stuff and go on halfass rumors to sell a few newspapers.

Now watch the Ch 7 news tonight and the Tribune website. I am sure they will make retractions...


But they only said the Newsday intelligence indicates the Mags rejected the contract. Nothing untrue there.

Good thing to see this story is reportly false.

Frankfan4life
06-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Hondo
I'm glad this is resolved but let's remember two things:

1-Jon Heyman is the same guy who broke all the arod to boston, nomar here, then arod to NY talk. So it's not like he's some loose cannon.
2-Newsday is a respected newspaper and not the NY POST, which is occasionally printed in English.
Jon Heyman was just on Moronotti's show this morning and he says he stands behind the story. He sounded very credible. He says he did not say Maggs wanted to go to the Mets, but that the Mets were interested in Maggs.

Moronotti also hinted that KW was the source of the Newsday story. I think we can start worrying again.

Dadawg_77
06-02-2004, 11:08 AM
If this story was leaked, it came from management not Mags side.
Since the main point of the story was to make Mags look bad and soften up the public in case he does leaves. How many of us would be saying, well Mags rejected the contract so Kenny tried his best but Mags didn't want to stay? It is mentioned all the time with any Colon discussion.

Mags may not have been lying when he said he knew nothing about it, his agent could have rejected the offer, and barely mention it to Mags especially during the season. I don't know how much power Mag gives his agent.

wdelaney72
06-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
I don't think Maggs is greedy, I actually think he wants to stay. I hope that I am right and he decides to sign, but he just needs to watch out for any diminished skill clauses I wouldn't JR to rip him off like he did Frank " I don't need no darn cork " Thomas. :D:

That's a ridiculous statement.
1) Frank is no longer worth 10 million a year.
2) Frank signed the contract witht the diminished skills clause and he also signed his current contract. Boo hoo for Frank.
3) Frank has an agent and / or lawyers who he hires to help him avoid "getting ripped off".

Frank has made tens-of millions of dollars over his hall of fame career. He's produced on the field and been well compensated for it. If he wasn't such a whiny cry-baby, he'd have made even more in endorsements.

Frankfan4life
06-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If this story was leaked, it came from management not Mags side.
Since the main point of the story was to make Mags look bad and soften up the public in case he does leaves. How many of us would be saying, well Mags rejected the contract so Kenny tried his best but Mags didn't want to stay? It is mentioned all the time with any Colon discussion.

Mags may not have been lying when he said he knew nothing about it, his agent could have rejected the offer, and barely mention it to Mags especially during the season. I don't know how much power Mag gives his agent.
I am a little puzzled. Why would Maggs not know that his agent turned down an offer like that? It sounds like the kind of offer he wanted. The agent has to be getting some direction from Maggs. Also, Maggs has flatly denied that he turned down the offer and that talks had broken off.

Kadafi311
06-02-2004, 11:24 AM
The speculation flying around this post is dizzying :D:

TDog
06-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
The problem is you can not insure position players past 4 years.

As opposed to pitchers. You cannot ensure they will last a season.

Frankfan4life
06-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
The speculation flying around this post is dizzying :D:
I think the whole point of these leaks is to confuse us and keep us guessing. But, if I had to guess who's lying, I'm picking management.

koch master 2
06-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
I think the whole point of these leaks is to confuse us and keep us guessing. But, if I had to guess who's lying, I'm picking management.

I don't think you can predict KW. KW operates in the dark without us knowing and isn't as transparent as Gammons likes to think. Who would have thought we were in the Colon hunt a year and a half ago?

Railsplitter
06-02-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm not going to believe anything regarding Maggs until it happens.

mantis1212
06-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
Jon Heyman was just on Moronotti's show this morning and he says he stands behind the story. He sounded very credible. He says he did not say Maggs wanted to go to the Mets, but that the Mets were interested in Maggs.

Moronotti also hinted that KW was the source of the Newsday story. I think we can start worrying again.

Of course the Mets are interested, who wouldn't be? So he's standing by the statement that Magg's turned down the $70MM offer? He's basically calling Maggs a liar

harwar
06-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
Moronotti also hinted that KW was the source of the Newsday story. I think we can start worrying again.

The day i start believing anything "the moron" says or quotes from newsday(total joke of a paper) is the day i start worrying.

pinwheels3530
06-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
That's a ridiculous statement.
1) Frank is no longer worth 10 million a year.
2) Frank signed the contract witht the diminished skills clause and he also signed his current contract. Boo hoo for Frank.
3) Frank has an agent and / or lawyers who he hires to help him avoid "getting ripped off".

Frank has made tens-of millions of dollars over his hall of fame career. He's produced on the field and been well compensated for it. If he wasn't such a whiny cry-baby, he'd have made even more in endorsements.

Ahhh .... a sox fan someone Frank Thomas a whiny cry-baby, thats like calling the kettle black, guess you won't be at his :whiner: HOF induction.

Frankfan4life
06-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by koch master 2
I don't think you can predict KW. KW operates in the dark without us knowing and isn't as transparent as Gammons likes to think. Who would have thought we were in the Colon hunt a year and a half ago?
This Newsday reporter seemed to have received information from a very credible source. It's more likely that management leaked that kind of story than it coming from Maggs camp.

It was also mentioned on Moronotti's show that the White Sox management exaggerated the deal they offered to Colon to make it look like the Tub of Goo was greedy. Apparently, it's something they do so that the fans won't be too angry with management.