PDA

View Full Version : Trib Sox beat writer demonstrates ignorance of Sox

maurice
06-01-2004, 04:22 PM
That was a mind-numbingly stupid Q&A. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/askthewriter/cs-040601bobfoltmansanswers,1,3451654.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) Some choice snippets:

Q: How did Frank Thomas go from one of the greatest young hitters of all time to apparently permanent mediocrity? . . .

A: Joe, . . . he tried to hit home runs . . . . It's something he's trying to correct.

The correct answer:

Dear dumbass,
A player with a 1.000+ OPS is not suffering from "apparently permanent mediocrity." Now go back to rooting for the tiny bears, you clueless ****.

Q: What can you tell me about some of the White Sox pitchers in the minors? Ryan Wing, Kris Honel and Ryan Meaux are three prospects that I'd like to know more about. --Jim Gross, Arlington Heights, Ill.

A: I know as much about them as you do. . . .

You can't say anything about three of the highest-rated pitching prospects in the minor-league system of the team you're assigned to cover, including two very high recent draft picks? You don't know that Wing is out for the season with surgery and Honel has been out of the rotation for most of the year? You don't know that Meaux was switched from a reliever to a starter this year?

Q: Why do I (and many others here) know all this ****, but the guy who actually gets paid to know it has no ****ing clue?

A: Because Wills was right . . . the cub beat writers are huge cub fans, and the Sox beat writers don't give a ****. Expecting minimal professional competence from the World's Greatest Newspaper is asking too much.

Randar68
06-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by maurice
You don't know that Wing is out for the season with surgery and Honel has been out of the rotation for most of the year?

Wing is 50/50 for surgery according to Dave Wilder. They're going to rest him and a decision will be made within a week or so whether or not to have shoulder surgery.

SEALgep
06-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Maybe if Frank swings at every pitch in the dirt and three feet outside, then maybe, just maybe he can be considered as good as Sammy. Don't sneeze though.

mdep524
06-01-2004, 04:55 PM
But wait...it gets better.

To add to the Cubune's terrible reputation of biased sports news, they have just added New York columnist Jon Heyman's recent opinion piece about how the Mets should get Magglio on their online sports main page.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ny-spflash303824926may30,1,1582187.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Very, very random indeed. I wonder if they scour national media looking for stories that reflect badly on the Cubbies too, what do you all think?

And on top of all that, the current lead sports story is an article about going out to Wrigleyville on game days to see the Cubs go all the way." They apparently sent FIVE reporters out to do this "story." No joke.

*****!!!!!

pearso66
06-01-2004, 05:18 PM
yeah md but did you read that article? it tells the truths. It makes cub fans look like drunken idiots. there is a quote in there that says "we go to the bar before the game and try to get 10 beers in, and then after the game we drink about 7"

And then they have a lot about fights

Blueprint1
06-01-2004, 05:25 PM
I really do think that Beltran will end up with the Dodgers I also think that they will be able to sing him to a long term deal. Remember LA is the second largest market in the nation and the Angles have made some moves lately. I was hoping that we could sign Maggs to a long term deal this season. All we can do is ask him to sign for market value really. I guess im stupid for thinking we could keep some of our stars out on the southside. Bye bye Robin, now bye bye Maggs not to mentions the others that have left in the past. Well I'm going to enjoy this season anyway.

jeremyb1
06-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Yeah I started a thread about this before. I have no idea what Foltman did to get his job but he has absolutely no clue what he's talking about.

batmanZoSo
06-01-2004, 06:39 PM
That was a mind-numbingly stupid Q&A. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/askthewriter/cs-040601bobfoltmansanswers,1,3451654.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) Some choice snippets:

The correct answer:

Dear dumbass,
A player with a 1.000+ OPS is not suffering from "apparently permanent mediocrity." Now go back to rooting for the tiny bears, you clueless ****.

You can't say anything about three of the highest-rated pitching prospects in the minor-league system of the team you're assigned to cover, including two very high recent draft picks? You don't know that Wing is out for the season with surgery and Honel has been out of the rotation for most of the year? You don't know that Meaux was switched from a reliever to a starter this year?

Q: Why do I (and many others here) know all this ****, but the guy who actually gets paid to know it has no ****ing clue?

A: Because Wills was right . . . the cub beat writers are huge cub fans, and the Sox beat writers don't give a ****. Expecting minimal professional competence from the World's Greatest Newspaper is asking too much.

Thanks for the laugh. Great post overall.

Duuh, I know as much about them as you do...

Imagine working in retail:

"What's the difference between these two paints?"
"Psh, your answer is as good as mine."

Can't the ####head look up something on the internet? Maybe some BA or BP? Jesus, that's bad.

And to top it off he didn't correct that braindead mutant who called Frank mediocre. He must think this is 1999. Both of them.

Kadafi311
06-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Newsday has learned that Ordoņez's contract negotiations with the White Sox recently fell apart after he rejected a five-year, $70-million bid, exactly what he originally sought. Ordoņez now is all but certain to leave.

Extremely disappointing. I was hoping to see Maggs on the south side for the remainder of his career; I really enjoy how he goes about his business as a quiet super-star.

It still isn't 100%, so I'll continue to hold out hope, but it's definitely looking partly cloudy.

johnny_mostil
06-01-2004, 06:44 PM

But Frank said that was the problem, so that's the problem. Heck, he's got a quote.

Frank has had some down seasons since 1997. I blame that on:
[list=1]
Playing six years for a man he detested and who baselessly treated him like a malingerer;
Having the audacity to suffer several serious injuries; and
the minor but significant (to Frank) change in the strike zone over the last few years.
[/list=1]

I think this season is showing that sitting in the same dugout with a man who ridiculed him for not violating his aftercare instructions for a serious injury may have had something to do with his performance sag.

the_valenstache
06-01-2004, 06:53 PM
I heard their upcoming Friday feature, tentatively titled "Giant Cartoon of Sammy Sosa Farting on Ozzie Guillen's Dinner Plate", will be an equally enthralling read.

Thanks Tribune. Thanks for being the only newspaper that has somehow gotten my cell phone number and subsequently calls me for lifetime subscriptions thrice weekly.

Did anybody read the Ozzie Q&A? They sure were asking the tough questions. I haven't seen so many lobs since Todd Ritchie.

jackbrohamer
06-02-2004, 10:45 AM
It looked like Foltman took 5 minutes to answer the questions, like he dictated the answers to his secretary & then rolled over & went back to sleep

Thing is, if you complain to the Cubune that they give the Sox short shrift, they take offense and attack the person making the comment. Who you gonna believe, what I tell you or your lyin' eyes?

TDog
06-02-2004, 11:13 AM
... Because Wills was right . . . the cub beat writers are huge cub fans, and the Sox beat writers don't give a ****. Expecting minimal professional competence from the World's Greatest Newspaper is asking too much.

A beat writer who is doing his or her job should never be a fan of the team being covered. In the job, you can like certain players more than others and develop professional relationships with people, but there should be no cheering in the pressbox.

The problem with sports journalism -- what makes the concept oxymoronic -- in Chicago isn't that beat writers covering the Sox hate the Sox, but that beat writers covering the Cubs don't hate the Cubs.

PaulDrake
06-02-2004, 12:00 PM

The correct answer:

Dear dumbass,

A: Because Wills was right . . . the cub beat writers are huge cub fans, and the Sox beat writers don't give a ****. Expecting minimal professional competence from the World's Greatest Newspaper is asking too much. Excellent post. As one of the few around here that is on the wrong side of fifty I can tell you it wasn't always that way. First of all the bias that exists today and second of all the shallow vacuous offerings on the sports page. Many of the giants of journalism used to walk the streets of Chicago. Some of them were actually sports columnists. The names probably wouldn't mean anything to most here.

maurice
06-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by TDog
A beat writer who is doing his or her job should never be a fan of the team being covered.

I agree with your point about cub beat writers but, to clarify, I didn't complain that Sox beat writers don't root for the Sox. I complained that they don't give a **** about their assignment, resulting in an utter lack of professional competence, as demonstrated by their shoddy work.

PaulDrake
06-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
Extremely disappointing. I was hoping to see Maggs on the south side for the remainder of his career; I really enjoy how he goes about his business as a quiet super-star.

It still isn't 100%, so I'll continue to hold out hope, but it's definitely looking partly cloudy. Look elsewhere on this site. That article is BS.

pearso66
06-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks Tribune. Thanks for being the only newspaper that has somehow gotten my cell phone number and subsequently calls me for lifetime subscriptions thrice weekly.

If they call you thrice weekly, everytime they call just say you wont be buying a subscription until they show that they will have equal coverage for the Sox. That's what I'm going to do from now on. If they think they are losing money because of it, they may change

jackbrohamer
06-02-2004, 12:33 PM
I complained that they don't give a **** about their assignment, resulting in an utter lack of professional competence, as demonstrated by their shoddy work.

I agree, it's surprising that a beat writer for a Major League team in a large city would admit he knows nothing about the organization.

jamteh
06-03-2004, 09:08 PM
I wish Paul Sullivan was still covering the Sox. He did a great job of answering fan questions. I get the impression that Foltman couldn't be bothered, which is a shame.

ode to veeck
06-03-2004, 09:43 PM
I miss Paul Sullivan covering the Sox too. Sully, can you coach the new guy a little on the Q&A's?