PDA

View Full Version : Best White Sox Road Trip

Olivo4MVP
06-01-2004, 04:11 PM
My family and I want to go see the Sox play on the road this summer and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. We've gone to Seattle's Safeco and the park is great. Vote on a good place to go see the Sox play and leave any comments you have.

Palehose13
06-01-2004, 04:22 PM
I haven't voted yet..are you looking for just a good ballpark to go to or the best ballpark+city combo? (cause it might be cool to go to the Jake, but Cleveland sucks...)

Olivo4MVP
06-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Park+City and I don't think I should have put Montreal up because it might be in San Juan or where ever.

MiamiSpartan
06-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Come to Florida! We love tourists down here, and don't shoot at them as much any more! :D:

Plus you can also work a cruise into your stay...The kids would love that, as would you and your wife.

Fenway
06-01-2004, 09:06 PM
PLENTY of choice seats in Montreal :)

HomeFish
06-01-2004, 09:23 PM
I'll actually be going to the series in Montreal. I hear scalpers outside the park sell tickets for less than face value.

doublem23
06-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
I'll actually be going to the series in Montreal. I hear scalpers outside the park sell tickets for less than face value.

Or maybe they don't understand a thing called the exchange rate.

Jeremy
06-01-2004, 09:30 PM
I would go to Boston, I know you didnt list that one... but ive always wanted to go there to see the Sox vs the Red Sox

Malgar 12
06-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Detroit's got a nice park, but the city is a hole. Most of the buildings you can see in the outfield are abandoned. That said, its an easy day trip from Chicago, and you can get seats in RF bleachers for $8 including a Hot Dog and small Pop.

One of the best deals in baseball.

doublem23
06-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy
I would go to Boston, I know you didnt list that one... but ive always wanted to go there to see the Sox vs the Red Sox

Granted, I only saw the Mariners play there, but Fenway Park was not a real pleasant experience. My seats were real uncomfortable, didn't face the infield, and the fans were just annoying. That and they serve crappy, crappy food. And Boston the city really wasn't that nice of place either.

I want to go to Safeco and Seattle.

he_gone_89
06-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Cleveland is a beautiful town

especially when your heavily intoxicated with red label whiskey

:cool: :gulp: :cool: :D:

Palehose13
06-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by he_gone_89
Cleveland is a beautiful town

especially when your heavily intoxicated with red label whiskey

:cool: :gulp: :cool: :D:

I've heard that's the only time Cleveland can be considered beautiful. :o:

doublem23
06-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I've heard that's the only time Cleveland can be considered beautiful. :o:

It's also very beautiful in your rear view mirror.

Palehose13
06-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
It's also very beautiful in your rear view mirror.

Ah yes, how could I forget that? But as long as you aren't driving with the wind, then the smell stays with you.

Parrothead
06-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Out of those parks I have only been to KC, Cleveland and Detroit. I have been to other parks and out of those I really liked Boston. That is a good City. However, KC is my favorite park. For Detroit, I did not stay in the City but went to Windsor, Canada. That is a good time.

SoxFan78
06-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Im planning on going to the Red Sox vs. White Sox game in Boston. Got 10th row tickets in the OF. How is it over there? If I wear any White Sox stuff will I get harassed too bad?

IlliniSox
06-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan78
Im planning on going to the Red Sox vs. White Sox game in Boston. Got 10th row tickets in the OF. How is it over there? If I wear any White Sox stuff will I get harassed too bad?

I wore my Paulie jersey out in right last year, got hit by a tomato slice. but everyone else was friendly. Seemed like half the people out there weren't actually BoSox fans, just baseball fans seeing fenway.

Don't miss the Sausage King behind the monster, either. Right outside Cask N' Flagon.

ode to veeck
06-02-2004, 12:01 PM
There were plenty of Sox fans down in the area by the Sox dugout. We also saw some in our upper deck section 214 seats as well.

I had to put in a vote for Oakland (even though road trip for us is like 30 miles), but for out of towners, the Bay Area's got lots of extracurriucular activities, to offer. Besides having predictable perfect weather all summer, there's SF itself and day trips to the wine country, monterey/carmel, yosemite, & more. July dates would be good as you get the opportunity for four Sox games.

The other nice thing is Oakland's attendance problems make the Cell look like Wrigley Field, making for great seats always available at bargain prices. I just checked and you could still get a pair of Row 13 seats (lower box = "MVP seats") right next to Sox dugout at the steep face price of $32 a seat for the July Saturday Sox day game. Its likely similar or even better seat are available for the other 3 games. More than likely, you can decide on July 12th you want to make the trip and still get good seats (we got a MVP seat at midnight last night in 15th row between home and sox dugout for today's game).

Anaheim by comparison, already has sold out well past 1st and 3rd bases all sections in the lower two decks for the Sept series (as well as best sections of 3rd deck). Similarly, best seats avail for this weekend in Seattle are at least 2nd deck.

Fenway
06-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
And Boston the city really wasn't that nice of place either.

What didn't you like about our beautiful, but expensive city?

http://www.neilvandyke.org/weblog/boston-lights.jpg

ewokpelts
06-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Montreal, cuz you'll be giving your kids a once ina lifetime opprotunity to see baseball in montreal.
Gene

Lizard
06-03-2004, 11:40 AM
I've been to Minnesota, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Baltimore and Boston. It's a toss up between Baltimore and Boston. They both were great parks and a lot of fun!

MiamiSpartan
06-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Disagree about Boston! It's an amazing city! We visit every year, and always find new places to go.

SouthSideHitman
06-03-2004, 11:03 PM
I'd do a twofer and hit Cleveland and Detroit, great parks and relativly close for the family, but that's just cause I try to squeeze every last ounce of baseball possible out of vacations. Otherwise, I'd say Boston, even if the the fans can be rude and the seats bad, being in the park for the first time is worth it, plus they'd be good games and I love the city itself.

Sox PA
06-04-2004, 12:38 AM
Have seen the Sox play on the road in Baltimore, New York, Boston and Philadelphia.

I think hands down Baltimore is the best of the parks for atmosphere, seats, food and friendliness, and the Inner Harbor is a nice place to visit.

That said, you can not beat New York for the experience, history, and just being in New York. My husband and I were bold enough to wear Sox clothes and 95% of the fans were nice and very knowledgable (of course this was last August's Cott's game), but there was one guy that told us to be quiet when we cheered, and he meant business, but that was about it

Fenway has a great atmosphere and the fans were also nice and knowledgable (but way too obsessed with the Yankees). We liked the Yawkey Way bars which are actually inside the park's limits and the italian sausage was great, but my main memory is how uncomfortable the seats were, the difficulty in getting to the concessions and bathrooms and the view of the field, not to mention the cost of the tickets, about $65 -$85 for box seats.

The new Phillies Citizens Bank Park is absolutely terrific but the Sox don't play them in Philly this year (have been living in Philly for the last 7 years).

Another great place is Tucson Electric Park, I recommend it to any Sox Fan,. Spring Training is absolutely terrific -The seats and views are all excellent, the tex-mex food is great and the whole place is just mellow - everyone's on vacation, that and the players are more relaxed and willing to talk and give autographs to the fans.

But still, of all the parks I have visited, I still love Comisky the best (the new one).