PDA

View Full Version : CBA questions


elrod
06-01-2004, 03:50 PM
I have some basic questions about the baseball collective bargaining agreement.

1. When a team loses a player to free agency, from whom do they get a compensation draft pick and what round? Presumably it's from the team that signs the FA but which round? 1st? Sandwich? Is that negotiated or is it the same every time?

2. Are compensation picks "sandwich picks" and if so are they thrown in between the first and second round only?

3. How many years from the first appearance in MLB is a player eligible for free agency? Six years? Is it the first PA or BF?

4. When does a player become arbitration eligible? What does it mean for a team to "decline arbitration"? If the arbitrator decides in favor of the player is the team required to honor the decision or can the team cut the player?

5. How many options do players get with respect to going down to the minors? Is that determined on a contract by contract basis?

6. If a player is placed on waivers and another team wants to pick that player up, can the original team yank the player off waivers?

Thanks. I've heard partial answers to all these questions but never full explanations.

jabrch
06-01-2004, 04:00 PM
1. When a team loses a player to free agency, from whom do they get a compensation draft pick and what round? Presumably it's from the team that signs the FA but which round? 1st? Sandwich? Is that negotiated or is it the same every time?

players are grouped into 3 groups. Group A players get you a #1 pick and a sandwich pick. Group B gets you a #1 pick. Group C gets you nothing. Provided you offered the player arbitration, and he declined it, you get that pick from the team that signed him, and the sandwich pick is awarded by the league

2. Are compensation picks "sandwich picks" and if so are they thrown in between the first and second round only?

see above

3. How many years from the first appearance in MLB is a player eligible for free agency? Six years? Is it the first PA or BF?

after the 6th full service year. Service years are defined by a number of ABs or a number of IPs. I forget the exact #s.

4. When does a player become arbitration eligible? What does it mean for a team to "decline arbitration"? If the arbitrator decides in favor of the player is the team required to honor the decision or can the team cut the player?

after 3 years - a team offers or does not offer arbitration. If they refuse to offer, the player is a FA. arbitration is binding.


5. How many options do players get with respect to going down to the minors? Is that determined on a contract by contract basis?

No idea - I never remember that #

6. If a player is placed on waivers and another team wants to pick that player up, can the original team yank the player off waivers?

There are 2 types of waivers - revocable or irrevocable. (See Manny Ramirez as an example of revocable)

Thanks. I've heard partial answers to all these questions but never full explanations. [/B][/QUOTE]

rdivaldi
06-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
1. When a team loses a player to free agency, from whom do they get a compensation draft pick and what round? Presumably it's from the team that signs the FA but which round? 1st? Sandwich? Is that negotiated or is it the same every time?

players are grouped into 3 groups. Group A players get you a #1 pick and a sandwich pick. Group B gets you a #1 pick. Group C gets you nothing. Provided you offered the player arbitration, and he declined it, you get that pick from the team that signed him, and the sandwich pick is awarded by the league


Don't forget that if the team signing the free agent has a 1st round pick within the first 15 picks, the team keeps that pick and the team that loses the player gets that teams second round pick. See Anaheim/White Sox/Bartolo Colon situation for an example.

Also you receive a sandwich pick between the second and third rounds for Type C free agents.

Vsahajpal
06-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by elrod
I have some basic questions about the baseball collective bargaining agreement.

1. When a team loses a player to free agency, from whom do they get a compensation draft pick and what round? Presumably it's from the team that signs the FA but which round? 1st? Sandwich? Is that negotiated or is it the same every time?

2. Are compensation picks "sandwich picks" and if so are they thrown in between the first and second round only?

3. How many years from the first appearance in MLB is a player eligible for free agency? Six years? Is it the first PA or BF?

4. When does a player become arbitration eligible? What does it mean for a team to "decline arbitration"? If the arbitrator decides in favor of the player is the team required to honor the decision or can the team cut the player?

5. How many options do players get with respect to going down to the minors? Is that determined on a contract by contract basis?

6. If a player is placed on waivers and another team wants to pick that player up, can the original team yank the player off waivers?

Thanks. I've heard partial answers to all these questions but never full explanations.

1. The team that loses the FA (provided they offered arbitration) receives two draft picks, one is from the team that signed the player, the other is a supplemental pick.

The draft picks are contingent upon player ratings. A type-A free agent (top 30%) will net the losing team a 1st round pick provided the signing team doesn't select within the top 15. If they do, the losing team receives the signing team's 2nd round pick (if the signing team signs other type-A free agents who are classified ahead of the other type-A in question, the losing team gets the signing team's 3rd round pick, or 4th, or 5th, etc...)

A type B free agent (31-50%) nets 1 draft pick from the signing team. Either the 1st round pick (16-30) or a 2nd round pick.

A type C free agent (51-60%) nets a supplemental pick between rounds 2 and 3.


2. Compensation picks can be sandwich picks (between round 1/2 and 2/3) or they can come from other teams.

3. For a player to qualify as a free agent, he must have 6 FULL years of service time.

4. A player with 3 or more years of service time (less than 6) may file for arbitration, unless they have Super-2 eligibility. A player with this designation has played 2 full years, and has accumulated 86 more days of service time into the 3rd season.

5. Once a player has been added to the 40-man roster, he has three option years. The player can be sent down and brought up as many times during those three option years. Once a player is out of options, he must be placed on the 25-man roster, or they could be lost to waivers.

6. Regarding waivers, a team can place a player on waivers and withdraw that waiver request. Unless of course, the player is on irrevocable waivers.

elrod
06-01-2004, 04:16 PM
When are players labelled "Group A, B or C"? Who groups them?

jabrch
06-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
Don't forget that if the team signing the free agent has a 1st round pick within the first 15 picks, the team keeps that pick and the team that loses the player gets that teams second round pick. See Anaheim/White Sox/Bartolo Colon situation for an example.

Also you receive a sandwich pick between the second and third rounds for Type C free agents.

In addition, if a team signs two FAs in one year, the team with the higher ranked player gets the higher pick, then the second highest gets the original team's next round pick.

i.e. the Yankees signed Gordon from us and Sheffield from Atlanta. Since Sheff was ranked higher, ATL would get NYYs #1 and we would get their #2, provided both were type A players and met other reqs.

jabrch
06-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by elrod
When are players labelled "Group A, B or C"? Who groups them?

Baseball America - IIRC

elrod
06-01-2004, 04:24 PM
What is a full year of service time? Has the clock started ticking on Borchard?

jabrch
06-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by elrod
What is a full year of service time? Has the clock started ticking on Borchard?

No - it is based on number of ABs, and call up date. He has never had more than 50 ABs and has never been on the roster in the spring. Borchard is still waiting to start his rookie season.

Vsahajpal
06-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Baseball America - IIRC

No.

Elias Sports Bureau ranks them.

Vsahajpal
06-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
No - it is based on number of ABs, and call up date. He has never had more than 50 ABs and has never been on the roster in the spring. Borchard is still waiting to start his rookie season.

This is incorrect. Borchard's clock began a while ago (but has since stopped).

Elrod, a full season constitutes 172 days on the active roster during the regular season. A full day of service is credited for each day the player is on the active list (even during suspensions, trips to the DL, war service, etc.) I don't know how many days Joe was on the active roster, maybe 60-70? Probably more ( a lot more?), I dunno.