PDA

View Full Version : Going to Safeco

kingpin_rcs
06-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Hello everyone. I am going to Safeco Field on Saturday (6/5/04) with my wife and 6 month old son. I have a question for those of you that may have been there. We will be sitting in the upper deck on the first base side looking up the third base line (section 323 I think).

Do foul balls make it up to the upper deck (we are in the third row).

Will anybody else from here be there that day?

My impression is that Seattle fans are friendly and won't give Sox fans much trouble. I don't expect any but has anybody ever had any trouble there?

Any other advice for my first trip to Safeco?

pudge
06-01-2004, 01:31 AM
Foul balls - I don't recall many reaching the third level... I suppose it's a remote possibility, but probably unlikely...

Seattle fans - well, um, if you don't act obnoxious, you won't have any problems. ;) I have had some good-natured ribbing with Seattle fans in the past, but I have also seen Sox fans who were very obnoxious, and the Seattle fans gave them a little grief. But for the most part, these fans are as nice as they come.

Not sure what else to add, other than you can almost always find free parking along the railroad tracks directly West of the stadium (by the water). It depends on your timing and how resourceful you want to be, but there is free back-angle parking under the Aurora bridge too. I have been going to Mariner games for 14 years and have rarely ever paid for parking.

NellieFox2
06-01-2004, 04:29 AM
I grew up in Chicago, and now live in Oregon. I've made annual trips the 3 past summers up to Safeco to see the Sox-Mariners, and here's my impression. I don't mean to stereotype ALL baseball fans in Seattle, but here's my 2 cents:

Mariners fans are ALMOST as cluless as Cub fans: they wear the gear, but are there just to "be" there. They know very little about their team, or the game in general.
Case in point: they chant "EEEDGAR!!!" any time Martinez comes up to bat, which some fan of an opposing team obviously did the way Boston fans taunted "DAAARELL!!!" to Strawberry in the '86 Series. People at Mariners games didn't get it, and it caught on as a rally cry.
The Edgar chant is about as much guff you'll encounter rooting for the Sox at a Mariners game, in other words.
You'll be safe at Safeco, dude.

But I've been to nearly 10 major league parks in my life, and Safeco is easily the coolest stadium I've ever been to watch a game at. There's not a bad seat in the joint, you can always see what's going on in the game when you're on the concourse buying a beer, and the garlic fries RULE!!!

Enjoy the game. :gulp:

Medford Bobby
06-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Medford Bobby will be there on Saturday June 5th. Living in Mount Vernon now, I have opted to take a charted bus that runs during the summer to the Safe. I hope to run into Sox fans there. Maybe before the game we should all meet and greet with families and a cold one??!!??

Any advice on cheapo tix?? I have had a few responses from the Mariners team Fan Forum, but thinking I may buy walk up or buy from some one dumping tix on Saturday???

:gulp: Go SOX !!!

chuckn98229
06-01-2004, 03:08 PM
I will be coming down for the Friday night and the Saturday afternoon games. Staying both nights in downtown Seattle. I am a Chicago-area transplant - been here 3 years and been to around a dozen games at Safeco. It is really laid-back - just like the whole area. I agree that most of the folks in attendance are clueless about baseball. With the Mariners' winning the last few years, Safeco has been the place to be - so lots of people come out to the games. I have yet to see a fight or hear anyone yell anything profane. It is a very pleasant baseball experience and a pretty cool ballpark.

If any WSI'ers are going to meet up for a beer , let me know when and where.

thezeker
06-01-2004, 03:12 PM
I'll be there for all 3 games.

I've got Club Level for Fri & Sun. & boxes for Saturday.

They are all between the bases and cost me a pretty penny.

But you know I can't think of a better product to spend my hard earned money on. That's why they make Credit Cards.

Seriously, I am really looking forward to experiencing Safeco and a sweep would start my summer with a bang.

The SOX have been a big part of my life since I was 5 years old and I have the feeling this is going to be one special season.

I'll also be at the "cell" when they return next Tuesday.

Summer and the WHITE SOX. What a combination!!!!!

SaltyPretzel
06-01-2004, 04:33 PM
I'll be there with my dad all three games. I have great seats: Sections 124, 127, and 136. We're staying at the same hotel as the Sox too. :cool:

AOEllis
06-01-2004, 04:39 PM
I'll be there in sect 135 and 133, dont know which days though, all 3 games. What hotel are the sox at?

steff
06-01-2004, 04:48 PM
I never sat up there but I don't recall foul balls getting near the third level.

The fans were great. No hassles, and not even remotely rude when the Sox were winning. Made some great friends that I still talk to.

Foulke You
06-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Bring back 3 wins for me guys! I'll be watching on TV in Chi-Town.

SaltyPretzel
06-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by AOEllis
I'll be there in sect 135 and 133, dont know which days though, all 3 games. What hotel are the sox at?

Renaissance Madison Hotel.

BBaum21
06-01-2004, 09:03 PM
The Renaissance Madison is a really fly hotel!! It's really nice!! Try to get a peek inside if you can. If you get by the main entrance, you should have an opportunity to get autographs. Players come right out of lobby to bus in front of the hotel.

The two times I went to Safeco, I had pretty good seats. The upper deck seats shouldn't be too bad; you can see everything pretty well. When I was there, they were playing the Cubs and I was wearing Sox stuff and one girl (I think she was drunk) came up to me and asked me why the hell I was there. Pretty interesting memory from that trip.

Overall, I liked the park very much. Safeco has very good sightlines, as other posts have suggested.

Just got back from Pittsburgh and went to PNC Park. Best park I've been to and I've been to several. PNC and Safeco and 1 and 1A in my book.

chuckn98229
06-03-2004, 08:33 AM
I am in section 135 for Friday's game and section 245 for Saturday's game. Any WSI'ers want to meet for a beer? Sluggers is pretty cool - and close to Safeco.

bennyw41
06-03-2004, 11:46 AM
I was there and it was the 2000 season. If you go to the bullpen for the Sox, you can converse with the players, and they are pretty open to talk. I had a good convo with foulke and howry, and got a ball from Mark Johnson at the end of the game. Its just cool, cause most people either ignore the opposing bullpen, or are rude, so you can really find a good niche there. Spent about 3 or 4 innings