PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Boyer - Interview During Rain Delay.............

BeerHandle
05-31-2004, 09:56 PM
Did anyone see the interview Hawk and DJ had with Brooks Boyer during the rain delay before Sundays game? I got the last few minutes and am curious what was said. I am glad that he is making himself know to the fans! Also, it was nice to see KW on WGN Instant Replay on Sunday night.

BeerHandle
06-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Did anyone see the interview Hawk and DJ had with Brooks Boyer during the rain delay before Sundays game? I got the last few minutes and am curious what was said. I am glad that he is making himself know to the fans! Also, it was nice to see KW on WGN Instant Replay on Sunday night.

I would have thought H-18 would have seen the interview.

Jjav829
06-01-2004, 10:35 AM
I would have thought H-18 would have seen the interview.

I saw it but nothing really stuck out so it's hard to give exact details. Brooks pretty much said a lot of the same stuff we've already heard. He talked about the FUNdamentals park and how it's his job to try to give fans a reason to want to come to the park while it's Kenny's job to give fans a good team to see. He touched on how he grew up a Tigers fan. Nothing big. He re-iterated the new introduction stuff trying to get fans to come earlier to the game. About the only thing new was that he said he wants to try to have something for the fans everyday but it was hard to tell whether he was implying more individual game promotions or whether he meant adding more things such as FUNdamentals that fans can enjoy at every game.

BeerHandle
06-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I saw it but nothing really stuck out so it's hard to give exact details. Brooks pretty much said a lot of the same stuff we've already heard. He talked about the FUNdamentals park and how it's his job to try to give fans a reason to want to come to the park while it's Kenny's job to give fans a good team to see. He touched on how he grew up a Tigers fan. Nothing big. He re-iterated the new introduction stuff trying to get fans to come earlier to the game. About the only thing new was that he said he wants to try to have something for the fans everyday but it was hard to tell whether he was implying more individual game promotions or whether he meant adding more things such as FUNdamentals that fans can enjoy at every game.

Thanks for the informaiton. Any mention of future Phase V renovations? Any discussion on growing the season ticket base and not rely on Walk up ticket sales?

CubKilla
06-01-2004, 11:21 AM
Any discussion on growing the season ticket base and not rely on Walk up ticket sales?

Nothing short of at least a playoff appearance will increase season ticket sales for '05 and up. Sox fans don't take kind to losers or chokers.

thezeker
06-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Nothing short of at least a playoff appearance will increase season ticket sales for '05 and up. Sox fans don't take kind to losers or chokers.

Hey! SOX fans don't take kind to winners either. Look at the attendance in 2000. They did not even draw 2 million with a team that had the best record in baseball for quite a while.

Methinks SOX fans just don't like to go to the ballpark!!!

SoxFan76
06-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by thezeker
Hey! SOX fans don't take kind to winners either. Look at the attendance in 2000. They did not even draw 2 million with a team that had the best record in baseball for quite a while.

...........ok, I don't have numbers, but somebody give proof to why this guy is WRONG.

ewokpelts
06-01-2004, 11:48 AM

I was too busy watching Will Smith get shot on Fresh Prince.
Gene

ewokpelts
06-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829

My ticket rep grew up a fan of those losers in detroit too....
Gene

ewokpelts
06-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Hawk made mention to all the faxes/mail/email that Brooks' recieved. Brooks sed that while some ideas are good, there are also some not so good ideas, and Hawk sed that we should keep sending ideas in, cuz Brooks will read them.
Gene

CHISOXFAN13
06-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by thezeker

I think the attendance in the second half of 2003 disputes your point.

We averaged 30,000 plus in the second half of the season.

With the hot start this season and several big series on the horizon, we will average 25,000 or more this year.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Zeker:

Two possible reasons...

1. Fans had doubts about this team because they came out of nowhere to produce such a great record. These guys had no track record plus the Sox were coming off of three eminently mediocre seasons in 1997, 1998 and 1999. Many fans thought they were a fluke (which subsequently proved to be correct) Considering this, drawing two million was pretty good in my opinion.

2. The second half, where the team basically played .500 ball and the lack of getting desperately needed pitching help by the GM, cause a number of fans to question if this team had any staying power.

My conclusions are the same as what others have said. If the Sox want to start drawing again like the did in the early 80's and early 90's they have to put together a streak of consecutive winning seasons, (a la 1981-1983 and 1990 - 1994) they have to consistently be a threat to go to the post season (not once every ten years) and they have to start spending money on getting some 'big name' easily recognizable players to give fans hope that this team can makes waves in October.

Lip

SoxFan76
06-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
I was too busy watching Will Smith get shot on Fresh Prince.
Gene

Haha, I watched that too. I remember when that episode first aired. Kinda weird seeing Will Smith get all emotional.

Dadawg_77
06-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Walk ups any where are very fickle. The expectations for 2000 were very low thus a very small season ticket base. The Sox generated record walk up attendance in 2000 and season ticket base grew 2001.

iwannago
06-01-2004, 12:11 PM

I thought both interviews were a waste of time. :D:

BeerHandle
06-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
I thought both interviews were a waste of time. :D:

They may have been a waste, but it is good for the Sox management to get out and do interviews. Our management has had a history of not doing interviews. The Sox management need to create some positive mojo.