PDA

View Full Version : How bad is the Sox defense?

kojak
05-31-2004, 07:47 PM
If you look at the MLB fielding statistics, the Sox are near the bottom (24th) in fielding percentage. Some might say this shows that their defense has problems.

Personally, I think the proper measure of a teams defense is how many unearned runs they give up. After all, if the errors do not lead to runs allowed and ultimately to losses, then it is no harm, no foul, right?

The Sox have allowed 16 unearned runs this year. This places them 8th in MLB. (The Flubs BTW have allowed a measly 5 unearned runs) Of the 7 teams ahead of the Sox in this category, 6 of them are in the top five in fielding percentage.

The Sox also rank 5th in MLB in Zone Rating. Zone Rating is the percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive zone.

What this tells me is that although the Sox make quite a few errors, (A) they seldom come back to bite them and (2) they seem to be committed when a fielder goes out of his normal range to make a play.

One other note of interest: the Sox outfielders rank 4th in fielding % and have the 6th most assists (11)

My statistical source was ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics)

doublem23
05-31-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by kojak

Personally, I think the proper measure of a teams defense is how many unearned runs they give up. After all, if the errors do not lead to runs allowed amd ultimately to losses, then it is no harm, no foul, right?

I don't think the number of unearned runs has anything to do with defense. That's more a pat on the back to the pitching staff for not allowing those extra baserunners to turn into runs with the extra outs.

P.S. Errors are a bad statistic for defense, but you didn't hear that from me.

Meixner007
05-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Personally, I think the proper measure of a teams defense is how many unearned runs they give up. After all, if the errors do not lead to runs allowed and ultimately to losses, then it is no harm, no foul, right?

The only thing your forgetting is that errors, while they might not lead to unearned runs, allow the batting order to turn over faster, and give batters more AB's against a pitcher...which is not good.

kojak
05-31-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I don't think the number of unearned runs has anything to do with defense. That's more a pat on the back to the pitching staff for not allowing those extra baserunners to turn into runs with the extra outs.

I think that is debatable. Take the Red Sox.

They have allowed 33 unearned runs this year, more than twice that of the White Sox. Yet they have the best pitching in the American League. So are all of those runs a detriment to their pitching or their defense. My vote would be for the defense...

doublem23
05-31-2004, 08:11 PM
I think that is debatable. Take the Red Sox.

They have allowed 33 unearned runs this year, more than twice that of the White Sox. Yet they have the best pitching in the American League. So are all of those runs a detriment to their pitching or their defense. My vote would be for the defense...

Well, my vote would be half and half. It takes two parties to make an unearned run.

It's like runs in general. Do teams that allow few runs have great defense, or great pitching? In most cases, it is a combination of the two.

johnny_mostil
05-31-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, my vote would be half and half. It takes two parties to make an unearned run.

It takes three parties to make an unearned run. The pitcher, the defense, and the official scorer.

johnny_mostil
05-31-2004, 08:42 PM
The Sox also rank 5th in MLB in Zone Rating. Zone Rating is the percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive zone.

What this tells me is that although the Sox make quite a few errors, (A) they seldom come back to bite them and (2) they seem to be committed when a fielder goes out of his normal range to make a play.

Sox defense is above average. Sox fans expectations are always that the defense be utterly perfect.

StockdaleForVeep
05-31-2004, 10:09 PM
I would blame olivo for the most of our error issues. In my view hes been having a horrid defensive year. Valentin hasnt been that bad fielding either, i think our defense is def better than it was past few years.